• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Magnus

I'm kind of surprised at how many people buy digital. It's so expensive, lol. I fund most of my game purchases by trading in old ones at retail. I fear buyer's remorse on some titles, so I like the ability to take 'em back or trade, etc.

Anyway, I'm blown away that we now live in a world where both FFXV and TLG have been released. Crazy.

Strike

Guys remember this gif

2831343-tlg+announcement.gif
We can finally retire it.

Damn man...tearing up in here....

the feels from the stories...

whoa

@MattyG I've heard turning the camera's movement faster should improve its function.

wapplew

How's everyone else enjoying it so far?

2.5 hours in, same old tech problem just like all Ueda games, camera control felt a little to heavy especially try to look up, can't turn off control prompt.
None of those matter, love it, Trico too cute, feel like a living companion like the first time I hold Yorda hand.

wapplew

I've been stuck for an hour, I think it's somewhere mid game:
There's water and a big create, I drag the create through the water and then.. nothing, there's nothing to hang on, Trico is on another floor looking down at me and won't do anything, is this a glitch?
Halp

Try to find food and drop it into water, Trico will jump.

Very possible Amazon won't get me the game until Wednesday. I really frickin hate Amazon! Have I not waited enough you bastards. Knew it.

Hellshy.

Are the button prompts constant for anyone else? It's really distracting that every time I climb trico I get a let go prompt that flashes on and off non stop . I'm only 30 minutes in so maybe it changes?

NAPK1NS

Just played for an hour. It's pretty magical, and a testament to a generally untapped power of the medium. Nothing is trying to kill you, nor are you meant to inflict any harm. There is a pet button and no trigger button.

Thought there were supposed to be Pro options?

There's pro mode but it looks like it's all forced in game. No HDR toggle either, which sucks

That means you have by default:

4k checkerboard + hdr (if your tv supports it)

You can turn off HDR manually in your ps4 video settings and in there you can set it to only output 1080, which will force the game to run in 1080 mode with a more stable framerate

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Loving the game so far.

But it really must be said- why in the hell is the camera like this??? Just make it a normal responsive third person camera, like every third person game ever created. It's mind boggling why the camera is an absolute sluggish mess with different dampening at every angle, even with sensitivity all the way up.

Wow this really controls like absolutely nightmarish garbage, huh? Camera, movement, and controls are combining to make me feel like I'm a drunk in a tar pit.

Rocwell

Just had my first encounter with the
Cursed suits of armor
and Trico is mad af and I don't know how to calm him down. ; - ;

Anyone can answer in spoiler tags for me?

Re: the camera I turned it up to the highest movement setting and it's a bit more tolerable.

Can someone PM me or something and tell me (just a yes or no) if the ending is as obvious as we might be thinking in regards to the creature or if there is some sort of twist or something? I just wanted to know if the game is predictable story wise in that sense but or is it like a "holy crap" what just happened kind of story with twists. No spoilers just a yes or no with the predictability and maybe a vague description. Thank you!

23qwerty

There's pro mode but it looks like it's all forced in game. No HDR toggle either, which sucks

That means you have by default:

4k checkerboard + hdr (if your tv supports it)

You can turn off HDR manually in your ps4 video settings and in there you can set it to only output 1080, which will force the game to run in 1080 mode with a more stable framerate
So there's no downsampling? That sucks.. a bit less aliasing would be nice.

B33

Banned
Made it to a
patch of woods with Trico and he motioned up to a tower and made a noise.
I don't know what I'm supposed to do next.

wapplew

Just had my first encounter with the
Cursed suits of armor
and Trico is mad af and I don't know how to calm him down. ; - ;

Anyone can answer in spoiler tags for me?

Re: the camera I turned it up to the highest movement setting and it's a bit more tolerable.

Try jump on him and calm him on different spot.

Endo Punk

Amazon better not F me over and miss Fri delivery. I'll end up cancelling the preorder and running to.. Ughh.. GAME.

So jelly you guys are playing now.

Certain ones seem to have gone away for me

I no longer get basic ones like jump or pull or pick up

Thanks for the answer :)

It's hilarious my cat seems to have taken a huge interest in what must be the ruffling of Trico's feathers haha
She's popping up and clawing the air in front of the TV and making weird cute meows. She's never taken notice of the TV before.

I really want this, and it looks beautiful but I have no tolerance for those terrible Ico controls and camera anymore. It isn't the PS2 era anymore. Should I just wait for a price drop?

Ico gave me some feels, Shadow really gave me feels to the point of watery eyes, not sure how that bodes for me and Last Guardian. Oh dear. Now I have a pet, married with wife and kid. Damn a lot has changed in 10 years.

Lady Gaia

I only played for an hour this evening after the digital download unlocked. Impressions so far:

The start is everything I expected. The title feels like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in a good way. The same aesthetic and early sense of exploring your capabilities and environment brought back memories. While not as clean as something like Ratchet and Clank, the visuals on the PS4 Pro with a 4K display are crisp and well defined. There's some aliasing along edges and shimmering textures but it's better than FF XV in that respect. HDR really suits the visual style of the title and is used to good effect even early on.

The controls suit the game. No, you don't have pinpoint precision in your controls, and it can feel like the camera is fighting you. Neither of these should be surprising to anyone familiar with Ueda's prior work. The camera wants to show you something of interest. It has an artistic goal as well as providing hints, so it's trying to serve these needs. The controls suit the stumbling struggle of the character and I haven't found them particularly objectionable because I don't expect it to be a precision platformer or a competitive shooter.

It's a love letter expressed in animation. More than anything else, the game conveys what it has to say through lovingly crafted animation. If you aren't soaking in the body language of Trico and trying to get a sense for what he wants and what he is thinking then you're missing the entire point of the game. I've been blown away by how expressive he is even in the early going.

I plan to take my time with the game because I know it's going to be altogether too short. I hope there's enough variety in puzzles and environments to keep it from feeling repetitive, but so far I'm delighted that the title finally made it out into the world.

Top Bottom