• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Stuck.

I'm at the Silver Tower for the 2nd time, and I'm on that elevator. I see some light blue platforms beneath the elevator, and my idea is to get Toriko to put his tail into one of the nearby gaps so I can climb down and leap across to see what's there, but I have no idea how to make him do it! I've tried pointing at the holes, getting on his tale and then pointing...

any ideas? Do I have to pet him in a special way?

You can actually drop through the broken grates and catch the ledge bellow on some of them. As for Trico I wasn't sure what I did, he just laid down after a little bit. I think try raising the elevator first and encountering the closed door makes him squat and lower his body

Donthizz#

Stuck.

I'm at the Silver Tower for the 2nd time, and I'm on that elevator. I see some light blue platforms beneath the elevator, and my idea is to get Toriko to put his tail into one of the nearby gaps so I can climb down and leap across to see what's there, but I have no idea how to make him do it! I've tried pointing at the holes, getting on his tale and then pointing...

any ideas? Do I have to pet him in a special way?

Grab his tail and drop down

Deku Tree

Now Trico refuses to
dive in the second pool room.
. Got him to do it the first time in the first room. He just refuses to do it the second time. Feels like I have no way to progress now.

Roubjon

Now Trico refuses to
. Got him to do it the first time in the first room. He just refuses to do it the second time. Feels like I have no way to progress now.

I was stuck for a while too. Literally just hold onto his back and point in the general direction where you want to go. He will then do what you want him to do.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Well, right, but
I actually have to get him to put his tail through one of the gaps first. That's the issue.

He means literally grab and drag the tail over to the holes to drop it down.

stlobus

Nevermind, beaten. OT: Loved every second of the game. Now I need to run through it a second time and start working on platinuming it.

HStallion

Now Trico refuses to

I was stuck for a while too. Literally just hold onto his back and point in the general direction where you want to go. He will then do what you want him to do.

You don't even need to command Trico to dive. Just get him to join you in the water and then start diving downwards or the X button while in the water. Dive down for a few seconds and then swim underneath where Trico is treading water and Trico will dive down after you and in the process you should get stuck to Trico. Otherwise just wait for it to resurface and do it again. This works for me every single time it just takes like 5 or 6 seconds to dive after you, maybe not even, its varies a bit like most things in the game. On top of that the camera will most likely freak the fuck out like get stuck inside of Trico as it dives so far so fast. Just remember to hit L1 and it should snap the camera back to a reasonable spot to give you a better view of the dive itself.

IIRC there's also a barrel in the next hallway you can try to lure him in there with.
I never had him actually get stuck though, so i don't know if that's something that happens.
Yeah I noticed that, he ate that and then went back through the door anyway, lol.

melkier33

Now Trico refuses to

If I remember correctly on my speed run he wasn't acting the way I wanted. The circle command is what did it for me I think.

Just finished this game now... 6:49 in the morning... what a journey... what a game... the best experience I have plying a game in a long time.. fantastic game in all senses...

Now I go sleep ;)

medze

Just finished the game. I had some frustrations with Trico but they were few and far between and even less so once I had grasped the commands.

The game was beautiful and I really enjoyed the story. Pleasantly surprised that the game turned out the way it did. SotC is one of my favorite games ever but I came into TLG with low expectations after the development hell. Happy to say that it was worth the wait.

HStallion

Scanning through the trophies after beating this game and some of them are going to be a real pain in the ass to get. Some are actually at 0% at the moment.

I just started the game, one thing that immediately bothered me is that awful dead zone on the right stick to control the camera. I didn't see anyone else mention it. Has anyone else noticed it?

Mezoly

I just started the game, one thing that immediately bothered me is that awful dead zone on the right stick to control the camera. I didn't see anyone else mention it. Has anyone else noticed it?

Raising the camera sensitivity to 100% helped me a little bit with that. Some suggested 90% try it for yourself.

HStallion

You must have found the odd page out, its one of the most common complaints. Turn the sensitivity up and use L1 to focus the camera on Trico. L1 can even be used to fix the camera to a better vantage point if it gets stuck inside Trico or part of the environment. I also don't touch the camera too much and when I do its small light touches, I don't hold the stick very long as it tends to keep going once you do and I try to minimize it. When going into smaller tunnels and areas I tend to set the camera behind the boy before entering.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

It's because the camera has momentum to it when you move it around.

Try higher sensitivity, either ~90% or max.

Finished the game last night. An absolute masterpiece and my GOTY

How do you fight them? You can't grab the helmets while they're standing up. Shoving them only knocks them off balance.

You can jump and grab them from behind and you'll swing around "Ellie's" style. It's quite memerizing.

balohna

The commands sync up with the boys actually so its intuitive in that sense. Though I know some people hate using triangle for jump lol

Yeah I get it now, I just didn't know I could do that at all before looking it up. I thougt R1 was for calling and pointing, didn't know I could use it to tell him to jump too. I have no issues with the controls, just a moment that could have been tutorialized better.

I'm actually fairly excited to be playing a game in 2016 that doesn't control like everything else. Takes me back to having to learn specific controls for almost every game.

I don't really get the Trico complaints really, he hasn't blocked my progression yet. The worst had been me thinking he could do something he can't, but even then I know a solution exists.

The game is no more frustrating than Ico tbh, with better controls and without the lame combat.

melkier33

I
interesting because it triggers the cutscene where the Trico's come and deposited the children .

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly Im pretty sure i just made trico try to jump or even just got back on him to progress. Only touched that thing once out of curiosity.

HStallion

Anyone know the answer to this? I heard it's around 2 hours, and very action/battle heavy from here on out.

I'd say about 80% done. You have at least two hours but I could see it taking 3 or 4 if you have some issues with some of the late game areas and puzzles.

Denur

As an old gamer, who last played a platformer of this style on the PS3, this has been quite the roller coaster so far (currently at
the first close encounter with the 2nd beast, resulting in hanging from some branches by my shirt and getting freed by my dear companion
). I have never seen anything so well done regarding the AI: the way the boy and Trico move is both lifelike and adorable. Their interaction, both vocally and visually, is just incredible. I am beyond words, so beautiful. I find the controls to be the best I have ever encountered. For example, I hardly ever miss a jump, like I used to do with older Uncharted and Lara Croft games. It feels very intuitive. Concerning the camera, it might help if the camera automatically shifts to first person view while in tight places. What I haven't figured out yet, are the blue doors. I think they can be opened somehow
by aligning the symbols on the side
, but have no idea how.

HStallion

As an old gamer, who last played a platformer of this style on the PS3, this has been quite the roller coaster so far (currently at
the first close encounter with the 2nd beast, resulting in hanging from some branches by my shirt and getting freed by my dear companion
). I have never seen anything so well done regarding the AI: the way the boy and Trico move is both lifelike and adorable. Their interaction, both vocally and visually, is just incredible. I am beyond words, so beautiful. I find the controls to be the best I have ever encountered. For example, I hardly ever miss a jump, like I used to do with older Uncharted and Lara Croft games. It feels very intuitive. Concerning the camera, it might help if the camera automatically shifts to first person view while in tight places. What I haven't figured out yet, are the blue doors. I think they can be opened somehow
by aligning the symbols on the side
, but have no idea how.

The blue doors are where the suits in armor will carry you if they catch you and can get away with you.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can't believe it but I'm stuck in the starting area. I fed it every barrel I could find, but there's nowhere to go. I figure I could crawl in the hole with dust coming out but I can't.

Toki767

I can't believe it but I'm stuck in the starting area. I fed it every barrel I could find, but there's nowhere to go. I figure I could crawl in the hole with dust coming out but I can't.

You did remove all the spears and unchained him, right?

Sounds like some people are rolling with some ghetto-ass Tricos ITT. Clean him up, you sons of bitches! No wonder he's not listening to you.

Seriously, bugs aside, I'm wondering if all this talk of him being unresponsive reveals people who just aren't taking good care of their Trico.

Ueda et al have used the medium of a game to deliver the experience of a relationship. Some people seem to have this the wrong way round.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Restarted checkpoint. He shook off the rest of his gear, and I was able to crawl in the hole now... Sucks to have a progress bug like this right out of the gate.

I
interesting because it triggers the cutscene where the Trico's come and deposited the children .
He was just staring into the sun and i approached him to trigger the cutscene. It's probably nothing but i'm hoping people discover some secret areas, as I want a reason to return to this game

meppi

Sounds like some people are rolling with some ghetto-ass Tricos ITT. Clean him up, you sons of bitches! No wonder he's not listening to you.

Seriously, bugs aside, I'm wondering if all this talk of him being unresponsive reveals people who just aren't taking good care of their Trico.

Ueda et al have used the medium of a game to deliver the experience of a relationship. Some people seem to have this the wrong way round.

haha, I'd love it even more if it turned out to be the case.
I was going to post that some of the remarks in here sounds like a cat that has been abused and doesn't trust people anymore.
Who knows, this might actually be something hidden away that affects the relationship in some way. :)
All I know is that I got the Intensive Care trophy on my first playthough and treated Trico like a cat, petting him when I felt he needed it, or I needed it...
Making sure he's allright at all times and generally caring for him instead of going "here's your f'n barrel, now move the fuck along and get me to where I want to go".

iFirez

I'm at the end of the game but Trico isn't anywhere to be found, I'm just running around and there's nothing to do... bug?

Guys the input delay on the camera is killing this game for me.

for me it helped/fixed it by increasing the camera sensitivity almost to max.

Clunky game but I'm enjoying it. So far the clunky controls and framerate didn't get too much into the way when you have to do some very delicate climbing stuff. Mostly because you can't fall so easily.

Oh and in case you want your innocence destroyed, here's me anal/cloaca-fisting Trico:

thelastguardian_201618kkl1.png

props for giving it one Ueda btw!

as you can see 'm taking really good care of Trico.

Finished this morning at 2AM. What a game. I absolutely loved Trico and the relationship of him and the boy. The environment level design is once again brilliant, like Ico, offering some amazing places to play through.

So happy with the game, and thankful it actually came out.

One day I hope him and the team get to create a new game, perhaps with tighter direction so it we see it sooner rather than later :D

I LOVED the first hour or so that I played before having to leave on a business trip. Can't wait to get back home tomorrow to play some more.

So what's the consensus been on it? Another gem from Team ICO? Worth the wait? It sure seems that way.

Top Bottom