• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

I would have never guessed after all the delays and the development quagmire, that we'd have an OT so full of overwhelmingly positive responses, many people calling it GOTY (in a pretty awesome year). No one would claim there aren't problems but man - is there precedent for a project being this delayed in gaming and turning out so well?

TripOpt55

Man, I ended up loving this. I did have some issues, mostly with the controls and camera. But all the good far outweighed it. I loved the story. Definitely my favorite story of the three games. I loved Trico and the bond you build with him is incredible. And as an animal lover he just does so many cool little animal things. Just awesome. The general atmosphere, world and music were fantastic. And I really ended up being impressed with some of the environmental puzzles and setpieces. The latter for whatever reason surprised me.

After so many years, my hype had died down a bit. And the first couple hours while I came to grips with the controls and the design was still revving up, I wasn't too impressed. But the more I played the more I loved it. Just a great game. Glad I finally got to play this.

Man I love that kid.

He's just as animated and loveable as Trico. The way he calls for Trico, his pathetic balance, his inhuman grip, the way he hides behind Trico whenever the Eagle guards get him.

Yes, he is great. He may seem vulnerable but he is also a though kid, full of ressources.

Razmos

It came in the post but it's a Christmas present so I can't play it yet.

That slip cover though! Just gorgeous
V1XDZjP.png

Such a shame the box itself is quite ugly

Endo Punk

I can't bring myself to complete this game yet. Most likely the last high concept Ueda game and my word is it marvellous.
Seeing Trico slowly getting his wings back and taking flight between towers, the platforming and getting the lightning weapon again,
It's all so damn good.

Has anyone else played the Miller's Crossing theme through Spotify while playing the game?

Just started it. Not digging the feel of the controls or the camera. Giving it a good shot though. Hopefully it grows on me.

Up the camera sensitivity, keep in mind that it has momentum, and only adjust make minor adjustments to it at a time. Holding L1 focuses/locks on to Trico, so use that, too. Make use of the boy's slow walk; trying to run around all the time may result in death or some annoyance!

Does anyone else got Thomas Newman's vibes (Road to Perdition, American Beauty, Finding Nemo) from the score? I did, it's a marvel.

Absolutely, I initially thought I was Thomas Newman. I imagine this composer is a big fan. I love that each of these games has a remarkable soundtrack in its own right but no two are alike.

-Amon-

Bought yesterday, it's growing on me.

I like Trico, its stubbornness makes perfect sense, a Trico that obeys and understands every command perfectly would be much less believable than this.

Controls and camera however.... I can't think of another third person camera game worse than this.

Inexcusable even in a little indie game.

In a big budget game like this, can't really understand how is it possible.

Walking speed too.. Just 2 speeds, it has really no sense at all.

A real pity, an exploration game with platforming elements with these controls and camera problems is really unexcusable.

Game is an absolute marvel so far. There's no way this didn't deliver exactly what was expected from it right from the very first reveal. This is exactly that.

I hesitate to call it a "masterpiece" before I finish it...but I'm very close.

Bought yesterday, it's growing on me.

I like Trico, its stubbornness makes perfect sense, a Trico that obeys and understands every command perfectly would be much less believable than this.

Controls and camera however.... I can't think of another third person camera game worse than this.

Inexcusable even in a little indie game.

In a big budget game like this, can't really understand how is it possible.

Walking speed too.. Just 2 speeds, it has really no sense at all.

A real pity, an exploration game with platforming elements with these controls and camera problems is really unexcusable.

Sorry but 'only' 2 walking speeds is a big deal for you? If you're not in love with Trico after an hour, you probably wont be. Enjoy the game, the ambiance and decor instead of focusing on the bad stuff. The game is truely awesome

fvng

I'm still stunned that people aren't getting that Trico isn't a robot, he's supposed to be stubborn in the way that animals typically are. This was also a criticism of Wander's horse Argo in SOTC. It was a deliberate design decision. My bigger complaint is camera angles and the game straight up telling you what to do during puzzles completely unsolicited

-Amon-

Sorry but 'only' 2 walking speeds is a big deal for you? If you're not in love with Trico after an hour, you probably wont be. Enjoy the game, the ambiance and decor instead of focusing on the bad stuff. The game is truely awesome

Of course not having any other choice than slow walking / full speed running is a great issue. It is not a question of focusing on the bad stuff. As I said this, the controls and the camera are worst than some games from the Ps2 Era.

Inexcusable really. Boot any 3Rd person shooter after a gaming session of the last guardian and you'll get what I said.

I played some UC4 yesterday night, and I felt really angry. TLG is a beautiful game at heart but those technical shortcomings take away a lot from the experience, and that's a real pity.

JawzPause

Just got the game and playing on base ps4. Frame rate is horrific but not unplayable. Reminds me of sotc on ps2 but i didn't mind it then and i don't mind it (that much) now.

As soon as i started playing i just felt absorbed into the same world and atmosphere that took me in when i played sotc so long ago.

I've missed team ico games

Finally read through this whole thread. I will say this game is a masterpiece but I understand people's frustrations. This definitely isn't for the impatient. Trico is so realistic that I was constantly blown away. But this came at a price. Much like a real animal you have to let him go at his own pace. I totally get people being frustrated with that, but I loved this facet.

There were 2 spots in the game that I was stuck for over 30 minutes confused and frustrated.
Spoilers below, only read if you finished

the first spot I believe was completely glitched. It was when trico first encounters the mind control device and he eats you thus triggering a cut scene. He would just not jump down whatsoever. He sat up there growling forever. I ran around where I could completely confused. This was also the first time you see the doors the guards pull you through so I thought I had to open it somehow. Eventually, after killing myself a few times the scene triggered. The second time completely stuck was against the final boss black goo orb. Couldn't figure out to hold the shield on it to the point that it's small, but NOT popped and shooting glyphs at you. That was frustrating as hell to realize it.

Anyway I love this game. SotC>TLG>ICO
My only true gripe with the game is that I wish it ran at a stable frame rate. Just like shadow lol.

davitpr

Just finished it. Holy hell what an amazing and unique game this is. Playing on a 4k TV with HDR blew my mind at how alive everything looked and felt. I loved everything about it and the camera and buttons were no big deal. Trico did what I asked 95% of the time. This game truly rewards patience. It's a game that forces you to "experience" rather than mindlessly "play".

It just shows how ignorant and out of touch Colin and Greg are. Colin kept asking "what in this game needed the PS4?" What an ignorant and arrogant thing to say after you didn't play the game. Gaming is maturing out of its infancy and The Last Guardian is one of the first games from the new age of gaming. Colin and Greg are man boys who enjoy gamey games. They are too blond to realize all the games they like are "child" games that came from the infancy of gaming. We are witnessing a new era of gaming and people like them will be left behind. Time to grow up people, this game is a fucking masterpiece.

PS. Naughty Dog should learn a few things from this game. Uncharted 4 was so repetitive and forced.

davitpr

My only weak point at the game was
trying to solve the tidal wave puzzle. I honestly spent like 45 minutes exploring every inch of the cave until my girlfriend looked up to the solution online and I started asking for hints from her. There was NO way in hell I could have thought that solution. Generally good at puzzle games (Platinum'd the Witness without help, dammit!) and I feel the tidal wave puzzle was based mostly on chance

Other than that, game is one of the easiest 10/10's I could give and totally my GOTY.

I loved the puzzles in this game. So subtle and really make you think. Once I saw there was no ladder I immediately knew I needed to make the water rise. Turned around and my guy was already climbing the thing to jump. Was a really special moment to feel connected in that way.

Deku Tree

I want to snap the fucking disc in half.

How the FUCK do I get Trico to dive underwater while I am grabbed onto him?
That's the worst control part in the game IMHO.

Try just holding R2 and pushing forward/down on the stick.

If that doesn't work try getting Trico into the water then dive underneath the water near him. Often he follows you and that triggers his dive and then you just auto grab onto him on the way down.

Osahi

Just finished it. Ueda is GOAT. This is a case of a game so brilliant, the beauty shines trough the cracks.

It also reminded me of how few games actually succeed in telling a worthwhile, emotionaly engaging story. Ueda did it trice.

AGoodODST

Just finished. Never played a Ueda game before.

Really enjoyed it. You have to suspend your disbelief a little bit but generally they did a fantastic job making Trico feel alive. The bond that grows between the boy and it is really cool.

It's funny because there is a lot of jankyness in this game that would usually annoy me and put me off but I was so engrossed most of the time I didn't mind.

Definitely flawed but never the less a very unique and great game.

Deku Tree

There's this one, which is fairly comprehensive (but still incomplete, obviously, as no one has this trophy still).

Either there's a really obscure hint that everyone is missing somewhere/somehow, or the trophy is bugged.

PSN has the hear all hints trophy at 0.1% on my phone today. So people have the trophy.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Watched the digital foundry vids of ICO/SOTC earlier today... I really need to buy the remasters, seeing them side by side showed how much those games got touched up. Also, to play SOTC with a steady framerate, tempting.

I want to snap the fucking disc in half.

How the FUCK do I get Trico to dive underwater while I am grabbed onto him?

Did you open the gate first?

I think I recalled pointing forward, and he did it.

Finished the game. Such an incredible experience, haven't played anything like it. Man, I'm so glad this game exists and didn't get cancelled, what a loss to gaming would that have been.

Many reasons why this game would not have been able to work on PS3 even if they worked on it for 100 years but Trico's lifelike animations and
practically the last couple of hours of the game with all the Trico-like creatures flying around and attacking poor Trico would simply not be possible
. The ending was masterful, emotional and perfect.

My only weak point at the game was
trying to solve the tidal wave puzzle. I honestly spent like 45 minutes exploring every inch of the cave until my girlfriend looked up to the solution online and I started asking for hints from her. There was NO way in hell I could have thought that solution. Generally good at puzzle games (Platinum'd the Witness without help, dammit!) and I feel the tidal wave puzzle was based mostly on chance

Other than that, game is one of the easiest 10/10's I could give and totally my GOTY.

About that puzzle...its funny because it's the first thing I thought of.

It just seems like one of those things that will frustrate some people, but to me, I thoroughly enjoyed it because it's exactly what I assumed it would be. My whole mindset with this game was to be mindful of puzzles that are like that. I dont know, I honestly enjoy it because it's not clear, but thats the beauty of it.

So many games will explain the mechanic to you and repeat it again and again. But its like SoTC where you really sometimes just have to think about it. I recall so many SOTC bosses that were like this too

I hate to think such design is considered "outdated" because it's the exact opposite.

brawly

Get as close to him as you can without the boy grabbing onto him and then dive down, the boy should automatically grab onto him when he dives.

That's how I did it but apparently you can also
stand on the head and point forward via holding R1+Left stick

That's how I did it but apparently you can also
stand on the head and point forward via holding R1+Left stick

This is what I did, but did people really not try this?

I assumed it wouldn't work even when trying this, but this is absolutely the way to do it....

I climbed on his back and command him to go down, it worked twice since I let myself loose the first time by accident.

Yeah, I pointed in the direction I wanted him to go with the left stick, whilst also holding down R1+X, never had an issue with him diving. On the other hand, I may have forgotten to
lift the second gate
for awhile, my poor Trico. He kept diving when I told him to, anyway, I felt so mean.

Just finished between 10-15 hours. An amazing game, very touching sentimental considering the scant narratation. Especially towards the end when

tricho tries to bring you back the second time and gets excited that you are alive
. Very touching.

That said it had two main problems: horrible frame drops. I am one of those people who scorns people who say they will never play a 30fps games. I love stories and world building, if its isn't 60fps no big deal in my mind. However... the frame drops in this game were a bit distracting because they were noticeable and how frequently they occurred. Doesn't ruin the game but definitely a negative point for it.

The camera at times was sort of... stupid. Often if you got underneath trico then it would shoot the camera every which way. sometimes if you got in a small alcove and then trico comes up next to you and you try to climb the screen will actually go black as you try to move upwards. Very minor really, only happened 3-4 times to me where i got annoyed by the camera through my entire run.

It can be a bit slow and repetitive at times but since i played in small bits over the week (due to working 12 hour days) it was fine. I think i would give it a 7.9/10. Very enjoyable with minor complaints with a touching companionship. Truth be told though, I can't see myself playing it again.

I love the positive feedback TLG gets for all the right reasons by so many people. In the future everyone will talk about the Ueda trilogy because each game is being praised as something special despite some technical shortcomings, each has its own qualities while also having that x-factor. <3

SomTervo

Bit of an iffy AI moment today where he got stuck in a place. Had to restart from checkpoint. I think the frustration comes from not knowing if you're doing something wrong or not - like are you just missing something? In theory you could lose hours to trying different things without knowing it's a bug. Which is bad and dangerous.

What an experience, otherwise, though.

They really play with the mechanics and gameplay ingredients in this more than they ever did in Ico and SotC.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QUOe1gMLMA

Me playing last night.
This is why I can't stand the game. Once you fall in the water, it gives you absolutely no indication how or where to get out. I mean, I assumed I had to climb out via his tail, but I assumed(naturally) he'd drop it down the same hole his face was looking down on me with. It never happened. Eventually, I figured out he drops his tail in the back, but it takes an inordinate amount of time for him to drop it, and when he does, all I did was hold the left thumb stick up and midway up the climb it keeps spazzing out on me causing me to fall over and over and over. I just don't find this game fun. That's basically 15 minutes of non-stop frustrating, tedious chores, and not a single ounce of fun.

The next 15 minutes were the same thing(trying to get a barrel through a hole to feed Trico). One tedious chore after the next with this game. Very little fun. I captured a video of that too, but I think the first one proves the point enough on its own.

I wanted to put my fist through a wall. If you love the game, more power to you, to each their own. For me? Ugh. I'm only playing it because I spent like $100 on the CE and at least want to get the most out of my investment.

Top Bottom