• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

i'm really enjoying this multiplayer. survivor mode in particular. it's incredibly rare to find a game that encourages you to work together with your teammates so well. it's interesting to watch people you can tell just started playing figure out in a handful of rounds that you can't just go rambo straight out the gates every time.

but does it penalize you for leaving a match? i just lost a huge group of my clan because i lost connection to host on day 3 of an event.
Yes, you get a huge penalty for leaving the game in mid match, that it's better to lose than quit.

Ryuuga

Banned
Facebricking myself for not playing this mode sooner.

PSN: Crusoco
GMT: -5 EST
Playtime: Mostly after 6 weekdays, whenever on weekends.

Question about the online pass:

I got the Ellie Edition last week, finished single player, and now I try to redeem my online pass but it isn't working. I get the prompt to download all of the bonus stuff like the soundtrack and such but the code isn't letting me play the multiplayer. Is there a separate code for the online pass included? I'm traveling right now and only brought the PS3 and TLoU-disc with me but not the Ellie Edition-packaging - wrote down the one code I found before leaving home. Guess I have to wait until I get home if that's the case.

Flo_Evans

Question about the online pass:

I got the Ellie Edition last week, finished single player, and now I try to redeem my online pass but it isn't working. I get the prompt to download all of the bonus stuff like the soundtrack and such but the code isn't letting me play the multiplayer. Is there a separate code for the online pass included? I'm traveling right now and only brought the PS3 and TLoU-disc with me but not the Ellie Edition-packaging - wrote down the one code I found before leaving home. Guess I have to wait until I get home if that's the case.

Yeah the preorder bonus stuff is a different code. The online code should of been printed on a piece of paper in the game box.

NeoZylom

It's frustrating when you join a game already going on and there is like 10 kills left for the game to be won or lost. No way you can get the rations you need ...

It's frustrating when you join a game already going on and there is like 10 kills left for the game to be won or lost. No way you can get the rations you need ...
I hate this as well.
In fact, those games in particular are the only ones I didn't acquire the rations I would need. I'm on week 4 though, so I'm sure I still have it easy...

RyanDG

Pretty sure for survivors, the only thing that carry over is your armor. Supplies go away so it's better just to craft your items in that match.

I use the crafter perk quite a bit in order to be able to give away items every 2 crafts. It's kind of neat that the bonus gifts that you can give away actually last between matches. So near the end of one match if you have it under control you can run around the map collecting supplies and crafting it all up to start up with a ton of gifts to hand out.

Raxus

Sorry for bailing Flo. It was 4 a.m. and I stayed up waaaaay longer than I intended. Great games last night!

I dont get it. I invited a friend to join my party and we're trying to searh for a game... Searching for optimal game, waiting for players, searching for close game...

Nothing is happening?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys! Looking for GAFers to play with. My PSN ID is juanpipe, add me with TLOU GAF as a subject line.

nib95

Banned
Is there a clan or something I can join? Loving the multiplayer in this. It's actually really different to most games. More survival esque than anything I've played online competitively. First ever multiplayer where running out of ammo is a very frequent thing, and running away in order to scavenge or craft is a massive part of tactics.

Anyone ever use boosters which let them buy new weapons? When you purchase these weapons in a game, do they stay with you after you respawn?

Anyway, my deets.

Gaf Username : nib95
PSN ID: NIBZY
Timezone: UK GMT
Mic/No Mic: Have a mic but don't always use it

PSN: Jignxs
GMT+1

I'm really confused at who to add. So add me and get me to join your game, I just wanna play a few good matches.

I'm online now so drop me a few invites.

I love ND games and think they are best in the world, but I could not stand Uncharted MP. So I really wrote this MP completely off. Boy was that a mistake. They really nailed the MP and survivor mode is soooooooo good. I am getting dem SOCOM feels playing this.

It was such a smart choice to eliminate hip fire from this game. I do wish there were some objective based modes with no respawn. Though I am not sure how it would work. Awesome stuff though!

Flo_Evans

Sorry for bailing Flo. It was 4 a.m. and I stayed up waaaaay longer than I intended. Great games last night!

No worries, I was getting quite tired and laying down on the couch playing at the end. Hard to quit this game.

Also sorry about IPOD-RPG-GUY. Dude is a talker lol. I met him a few days ago in a random match, he was actually really helpful and explained a ton of shit to me. He is a beast with all the healing and reviving though. Lots of matches I didn't die once.

SpacLock

I'd like to play with some of you gaffers. Is there any space for me? Also, does anyone know if I can use a 360 wireless mic on a PS3? I haven't done any of my online gaming on the PS3 so I've never bothered getting a headset for it.

PSN: SpacLock

No worries, I was getting quite tired and laying down on the couch playing at the end. Hard to quit this game.

Also sorry about IPOD-RPG-GUY. Dude is a talker lol. I met him a few days ago in a random match, he was actually really helpful and explained a ton of shit to me. He is a beast with all the healing and reviving though. Lots of matches I didn't die once.
IPod guy isn't a GAFer? Lol I thought that he was. Nice guy, I didn't mind the talking. He was really good.

Sajjaja

There needs to be better match making, like premade vs premade or party vs party. Gaffers playing together is fun, but it's hindered when you just steam roll randoms.

Alienous

82 Survivors now. None of which are hungry.

I have to say I'm really starting to empathize with
David

Tactics I've discovered:

• When you're in a team, in Survivors or later Supply Raid, designate a hold up building. If you are the last, or the last two, you should both go there. Without sprinting. In Supply Raid, focusing the nail bombs near that location means that if things go awry, you have a place to go.
  • If someone is downed in Survivors, and you aren't the only one who can see them, don't kill them. They tend to move towards their allies locations, and if you track them you might have an easier victory.
  • Buddy system. Heal others when you can, as that allows them to keep shooting. If you are healthy and you are healing someone, there is less of a risk for the healing to be interrupted by being shot.
  • Mark people with R3, it is imperative.
  • If you are alone in Survivors, keep your distance and walk around the perimeter of the map. Again, don't sprint. Collect as many resources as you can (if you are the Last Man Standing, they tend to be higher quality), find a building, plant nail bombs and hold up. If you feel like you are going to die, run, find a medkit and rinse and repeat. This works best if you prepared a location earlier, or know where you are going to go.

Also, from experience, if you are trying to survive a marauder attack choose the execution requirement. It's a lot lower than the down requirement. I managed to reach the third tier down requirement, but it isn't easy later on in the multiplayer. It seems to assume that enemies will revive their team members frequently, as one player can be downed multiple times before expending a life. Really, however, they are executed quite quickly. Executions can only happen to a player once in a life, so the requirements are much more reasonable. Also, if you have to do the challenge, do it in Supply Raid.

maomaoIYP

There needs to be better match making, like premade vs premade or party vs party. Gaffers playing together is fun, but it's hindered when you just steam roll randoms.

Pretty much. I can maintain a healthy population of 100 with no problems, but once the randoms on my team become too competent, I can't earn enough.

Cudder

How many extra loadout points do you get?

I seem to remember getting one pretty early on, and then getting ANOTHER one a bit later. But I realized I was only at 11 points, shouldn't it have been 12?

Tagg9

I'm online right now if someone wants to add me. I'll also add a few of the people here.

PSN ID: TaggSte
Mic: Yes (though I rarely use it)

Alienous

Is there a clan or something I can join? Loving the multiplayer in this. It's actually really different to most games. More survival esque than anything I've played online competitively. First ever multiplayer where running out of ammo is a very frequent thing, and running away in order to scavenge or craft is a massive part of tactics.

Anyone ever use boosters which let them buy new weapons? When you purchase these weapons in a game, do they stay with you after you respawn?

Anyway, my deets.

Gaf Username : nib95
PSN ID: NIBZY
Timezone: UK GMT
Mic/No Mic: Have a mic but don't always use it

Not really. They can be useful. I tend to save them for the random metagame events.

And yes, you keep the weapons you buy and the ammunition after re-spawning.

How does the game subtract the supplies from the gained ones after each round?

I think if you have additional supplies (like ammo), additional meaning more than you spawn with, you keep that ammo in subsequent rounds. If you have less, it defaults to the respawn ammo.

The Supply Raid, you keep all scavenged and constructed items. In Survivors, you loose you constructed weapons every round. I'm unsure if you keep bought ammo and weapons that you didn't use from the previous round.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!

To revive you don't need it but to heal people you do need that perk! And you press and hold X instead of triangle.

To give stuff to teammates you need to have crafting level 2 and craft at least 3 items (or is it 2?) before you can create a gift to give people, which goes in the weird box thing on the very top when you press the up on D pad.

Qwell

I cannot get enough of this multiplayer, partied up with 2 other random guys after a good match of ours. We went 18 - 0 on a supply raid match. We won every single one handily after because we just working as a team. Still trying to grow my survivors after I took a huge loss, went from like 93 to 60 was lame.

To revive you don't need it but to heal people you do need that perk! And you press and hold X instead of triangle.

To give stuff to teammates you need to have crafting level 2 and craft at least 3 items (or is it 2?) before you can create a gift to give people, which goes in the weird box thing on the very top when you press the up on D pad.

You're right, I got mixed up.

Shame we can't have big ass GAF clan in this game.

Stantron

Wow, getting punished for other people's disconnects really hurt.
Went from about 55 healthy to 13 healthy, 29 hungry, 13 sick. And lost a mission day.
ND, fix this shit.

Top Bottom