• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

bender

What time is it?
When a team starts winning it REALLY starts winning. Armor, upgraded weapons, access to most of the supply spawns on the map. It can piss quite a few people off.

The drops from supplies get worse as you are winning and better when you are behind so it tries to balance that way.

Hunting in a pack/communication is the key to success.

Moxx19

Banned
The multiplayer is fucking incredible. If only the game didn't kick me out midway through and give my group negative consequences

When you're playing with randoms, you never get a good team.
Stay together with them. I dominated a couple of people with mics with randoms. I'm usually the medic and when they know I can heal them, they usually stick together. If not, follow them. It's hard to win against a team with mics when you're in a team filled with random people, but possible. Sometimes, you get to be on the team with mics. I was on one, they liked me and wanted me as a friend since I supported their group. We dominated all the matches and it was really fun to play with them even though I didn't have a mic.

Also, you can back off before initiating a match until you play with a bunch of randoms.

RyanDG

What's the mercenary mode, and will it make other douchebag players not be able to kill me in two shots even after I hit them directly in the face with my shotgun? Their high-rank gear is just completely unfair and it renders the game utterly pointless to play.

There really isn't any high ranked gear that is allowing them to do what you are saying. I'm guessing that they purchased armor and ended up getting you with two head shots, both of which you have the ability to do yourself even without being at their level. There are a lot of really nice perks that you can play around with, but if it comes down to two people blasting each other at close distance, there really aren't any that are going to help you survive that.

There really isn't any high ranked gear that is allowing them to do what you are saying. I'm guessing that they purchased armor and ended up getting you with two head shots, both of which you have the ability to do yourself even without being at their level. There are a lot of really nice perks that you can play around with, but if it comes down to two people blasting each other at close distance, there really aren't any that are going to help you survive that.

Every single firefight I get into ends in them just spamming bullets and me dying no matter what I do and no matter where I hit them. Even if I score a headshot or hit them twice at point blank with the Shorty, I still die and they're still fine. And it seems like every single team I get matched up with is composed of level 1 or 2 people, while every team I get matched against is a full party of level 14 or 15 buddies who are all on mics and working together. Or I'll get put in a match with a bunch of people who are similar levels to me and inevitably a level 20 guy will join at the last second and get placed on the other team, then dominate everyone.

It's madness-inducing.

I can't get over how bad the match making is. I was playing with a gaffer and this is how our matching went by levels:

1, 0, 4, 4 vs. 53, 21, 37, 7

Yeah. And fuck waiting for merc mode. I want to play with my friends and have fun. Also, one hit kill items are incredibly stupid.

Every single firefight I get into ends in them just spamming bullets and me dying no matter what I do and no matter where I hit them. Even if I score a headshot or hit them twice at point blank with the Shorty, I still die and they're still fine. And it seems like every single team I get matched up with is composed of level 1 or 2 people, while every team I get matched against is a full party of level 14 or 15 buddies who are all on mics and working together. Or I'll get put in a match with a bunch of people who are similar levels to me and inevitably a level 20 guy will join at the last second and get placed on the other team, then dominate everyone.

It's madness-inducing.

This sums up how I feel too. The fact that some weapons have a specific number of shots to down someone tells me it's not factoring in hitboxes in any significant way.

zert

Ok I'm in. I'm starting my 3rd journey.

Gaf Username: zert
PSN ID: mzertu
Timezone: Central
Mic/No Mic: no :(

I usually play at nights. I know it will be great to play with gaffers

Im going to play right now if someone is there haha

The M.O.B

Terrible framerate in multiplayer, unplayable at times.

Terrible Melee encounters, nothing makes sense here.

Stealth doesn't work in a third person online game, being able to see around corners without exposing yourself makes zero sense.

Listen mode makes the game worse in SP AND MP, imagine that.

Oh and guns locked behind having to play X amount of hours is always bad so there's that too.

I can't get over how bad the match making is. I was playing with a gaffer and this is how our matching went by levels:

1, 0, 4, 4 vs. 53, 21, 37, 7

Yeah. And fuck waiting for merc mode. I want to play with my friends and have fun. Also, one hit kill items are incredibly stupid.

Exactly. It's just not fun at all when you're matched up against a party of high-level friends that clearly play the game WAY too much.

kasane

Uhhh how do you bandage teammates. :lol

Edit: also if anyone is down for multiplayer add me: ExHatred. Don't have a mic though

Biff

Terrible framerate in multiplayer, unplayable at times.

Terrible Melee encounters, nothing makes sense here.

Stealth doesn't work in a third person online game, being able to see around corners without exposing yourself makes zero sense.

Listen mode makes the game worse in SP AND MP, imagine that.

Oh and guns locked behind having to play X amount of hours is always bad so there's that too.

- Seems okay for me? How old is your PS3?

- Agreed 100%. Quite comical at times, truthfully.

- #SOCOM4LYFE

- Disagree. I love it in MP as it punishes people who don't want to play the game the way it should be played (slow and steady survival action with consequences).

- Yeah that sucks but at least the default classes have access to every weapon (excluding purchasables). The defaults are actually quite good.

Uhhh how do you bandage teammates. :lol

Edit: also if anyone is down for multiplayer add me: ExHatred. Don't have a mic though
It's a perk. I think it's called first aid. You need it to be level 2 and then, when they're injured, press x when you're close to them.

Someone didn't play Team Sneak on MGO.

satori

Looking for some Gaffers to play with. PSN is sattori.

The MP at first was not clicking with me at all. But now it is pure bliss. When you get into a team that stick together and work together, it elevates the MP to a whole new level for me.

I'd be glad to play with a GAF team. My PSN list is unfortunately full, which is the main obstacle. If people want to invite me though, they're free to. My PSN info is in my profile...

Raoh

Gaf Username: Raoh
PSN ID: LordRaoh
Timezone: Eastern
Mic/No Mic: Yes, several

I usually play late night. Just got married so times WILL vary..

If you wanna be a dick online, get a smoke bomb and a shiv, and make sure to throw the bomb at people directly. You can then shiv them from the front.

Raoh

IMG_0888.jpg

I Miss You SOCOM...........................

Honestly, if you're peeking and leaning.. there is some type of exposure.. You just have to be good at it. First Person Shooters are the problem. You can usually turn the camera without being exposed.

Reminds me of the complaints of Socom 4.

"I keep getting shot, there should be no cover in shooters"4

No cover and lean are fine, stop running down open paths...

I really love how games like this reward players for winning and penalize them for losing. It's one of those little things that just says "fuck you" to anyone who isn't already amazing at the game.

"What's that? You were matched up against a completely unbalanced team and got murdered? Well now half your clan is dead. Fuck you."

It's like the people behind modern multiplayer modes don't realize that not everybody is a 14-year-old with infinite free time. And considering we're talking about an M-rated game, none of them should be.

Gaf Username | Syph Medwes
PSN ID | Syph93
Timezone | Pacific (-8)
Mic/No Mic | Mic. Can also use Skype if wanted.
Additional notes (e.g. casual, play to win, only plays on Tuesdays, etc.) | If you give me enough notice I can play pretty much whenever.

Finally picked this up after it was out of stock everywhere. Only played multiplayer twice so far but I'm already in love.

What's the mercenary mode, and will it make other douchebag players not be able to kill me in two shots even after I hit them directly in the face with my shotgun? Their high-rank gear is just completely unfair and it renders the game utterly pointless to play.

Well, I doubt this happened the way you say it did.

No offense, but I'm thinking two shotgun shots, if you hit them square on an enemy, should kill regardless of shield.

Armour isn't hard to get either for yourself.

The losing team is actually given better equipment from supplies, *I think*.

I know for sure that sudden death gives advantages to the losing team.

The people that are good at this game play together and learn under the wings of their teammates if they are newbies.

Mercenary mode will be a new playlist meant for non-party players.

RyanDG

I really love how games like this reward players for winning and penalize them for losing. It's one of those little things that just says "fuck you" to anyone who isn't already amazing at the game.

"What's that? You were matched up against a completely unbalanced team and got murdered? Well now half your clan is dead. Fuck you."

It's like the people behind modern multiplayer modes don't realize that not everybody is a 14-year-old with infinite free time. And considering we're talking about an M-rated game, none of them should be.

Any one of the prebuilt classes can stack up against any player who is ranked higher than you. Nearly all of the weapons are already unlocked on at least one of them. I really don't think that becoming good at this game is a matter of having infinite free time (which it seems like you have focused on at least twice now). Pick one of the pre built classes... If you are worried about unlocking stuff quick, start with the Medic/crafter pre built class, because you can gain a shit ton of points for just crafting, healing, and giving away gifts. It doesn't even require you to be "good" at the game, as you can literally spam heal by holding x.

maomaoIYP

what is a good set up to gain the most survivors?...i max out around 90, then get raided and even with mission maxed i still lose 20 people.
Anything with collector 2. I'm holding at 100.

I think I'm done with the MP in this game. I keep trying it , and I keep getting matched up against really high-rank players and just getting dominated. It's not any fun to lose constantly, and I'm not getting enough parts or supplies to keep my faction alive.

Why did they design the matchmaking so horribly?

I play only as a lone wolf with randoms. I have no problems.

TripOpt55

I have fun with it. I'm not great, but it is a cool mode. I'm finally comfortable enough that I'm always crafting stuff and buying upgrades. Had some awesome moments with my board with a nail in it tonight. Molotovs are amazing too. The cool moments with those make this mode worth it for me. My clan lost like 18 dudes when I messed up a mission though.

Well, I doubt this happened the way you say it did.

No offense, but I'm thinking two shotgun shots, if you hit them square on an enemy, should kill regardless of shield.

Armour isn't hard to get either for yourself.

The losing team is actually given better equipment from supplies, *I think*.

I know for sure that sudden death gives advantages to the losing team.

The people that are good at this game play together and learn under the wings of their teammates if they are newbies.

Mercenary mode will be a new playlist meant for non-party players.

I've been using the Shorty, and almost every time I try to shoot a guy with it and DO hit him, I go down first even if my second shot hits.

Mercenary mode does sound better though. It always sucks when you're solo and paired up against a full team of buddies.

jett

D-Member
Just went on a five hour multiplayer binge with some Uncharted veterans! MP finally clicked for me, this was really great. GGS CJ, Brokenoath, CHRP and everyone. Had a particularly awesome run of games with this team of people that would hold one "fort" after another, really good stuff.

Only shame is once again I find myself playing a Naughty Dog game where I have to waste a booster slot to fight off wallhacking. :p

Kard8p3

I don't see why everyone is complaining about listen mode, it drains like crazy unless you use the perk for it(which I doubt anyone wastes points on that), and takes forever to recover. Plus it isn't like only a select few can use it, everyone can.

maomaoIYP

I don't see why everyone is complaining about listen mode, it drains like crazy unless you use the perk for it(which I doubt anyone wastes points on that), and takes forever to recover. Plus it isn't like only a select few can use it, everyone can.

I'm guessing those are the people who are used to shooters like COD or Battlefield.

I'm Rank 25. I win more than I lose and have an ok K/D ratio of 1.74. The key is I play with my clan and only with my clan, who I've been playing shooters with for 7 years. We not only communicate well but our playstyles have developed over the years to compliment each other. That's the kind of stuff that's required to do well.

There's no one key tactic that's going to work against all people. Staying grouped works well if the other team isn't communicating and you can mow them down one after the other but if they're grouped too, it's a toss up. If they've tactically set up better with a wider angles and good shots, they'll win out. Reviving down players is also HUGE in terms of gaining parts as well as keeping your pool of lives up. It's a really well designed game in that sense.

There are definitely flaws though in that higher ranked players do have better perks that can contribute to them getting parts faster, not being able to be marked, build faster, etc.. So yeah that's a tough one to get around, though it's not insurmountable.

There are 3 big flaws in this game. Melee, action button priority, and soft geometry corners. Melee is often times very random. Part of this is the unwieldy nature of it and part seems to be Client to Server or Client to Client lag. The best way to make sure you win? Don't Melee unless you've got an upgraded weapon. It's better to try to shoot or run away. Action button priority is just awful. Get the shiv action prompt? Better hope there's not a down enemy, downed ally, or a supply box around you because you'll go for those before you kill your enemy. The last one is the worst. Soft Geometry. What this really amounts to is what you see from your angle isn't what your enemy sees. It results in you getting shot when you think you're in cover. To avoid it.. don't creep out at the edges of objects and walls. Another good rule of thumb is, if you can see your reticle while in cover, some part of you is exposed. I believe the problem is caused by the over the shoulder nature of the cameras.

I enjoy the hell of the MP personally.

I've been using the Shorty, and almost every time I try to shoot a guy with it and DO hit him, I go down first even if my second shot hits.

Mercenary mode does sound better though. It always sucks when you're solo and paired up against a full team of buddies.

That's a sidearm weapon though. I was talking about the actual shotgun. I'm pretty sure the Shorty can kill within 2-3 hits, but it's not going to be as powerful as the actual shotgun.

I don't know how close you are, but I imagine the spread of the shorty is causing you to not kill within your 2-shot expectations. Do you aim closer to the head? You should.

Mercs will be great. It is definitely easy for matches to get lopsided with players communicating on one team. I want Mercs so that I dont win every match with my team vs randoms. I enjoy the few times I play against evenly matched opponents.

Anyways, change up your strategy. Don't use shorties as rush weapons, use the actual shotgun from the Parts unlocks, and see how that goes.

The game's basic balance feels completely balanced for the most part, at least to me

My one complaint so far is people dropping out. Sure it sucks when the other team is way overranked but at least finish the match right? Of course this is unfortunately prevalent in all multiplayer games I suppose.

I'm willing to join anyone but last time I joined a party I got disconnected from PSN and couldn't get back on for a while.

I've been playing randoms fine for the last couple hours so I'm not sure if there's an issue specifically with parties or not.

I would love to join some GAFers but I so far it seems I suck at this game multiplayer so you should probably know that before you let me play with you...

Kard8p3

I'm willing to join anyone but last time I joined a party I got disconnected from PSN and couldn't get back on for a while.

I've been playing randoms fine for the last couple hours so I'm not sure if there's an issue specifically with parties or not.

I would love to join some GAFers but I so far it seems I suck at this game multiplayer so you should probably know that before you let me play with you...

send me a FR and jump in with me and Cow :)

That's a sidearm weapon though. I was talking about the actual shotgun. I'm pretty sure the Shorty can kill within 2-3 hits, but it's not going to be as powerful as the actual shotgun.

I don't know how close you are, but I imagine the spread of the shorty is causing you to not kill within your 2-shot expectations. Do you aim closer to the head? You should.

Mercs will be great. It is definitely easy for matches to get lopsided with players communicating on one team. I want Mercs so that I dont win every match with my team vs randoms. I enjoy the few times I play against evenly matched opponents.

Anyways, change up your strategy. Don't use shorties as rush weapons, use the actual shotgun from the Parts unlocks, and see how that goes.

The game's basic balance feels completely balanced for the most part, at least to me

The part unlock shotgun is kind of a pain, since I don't think I can afford to carry both it and a normal weapon, and I'm not a good enough shot with a sidearm to get the parts necessary to use it.

Do you ever unlock more Loadout Points, or is 10 always the max?

The part unlock shotgun is kind of a pain, since I don't think I can afford to carry both it and a normal weapon, and I'm not a good enough shot with a sidearm to get the parts necessary to use it.

You get more loadout points over time. I'm not sure what the overall max is.

maomaoIYP

Loadout points go to 13, which is the last upgrade at 7500 supplies.
The bought shotgun is a combat changer. Expensive as hell, but devastating.

I personally find the shorty useless, miss a shot up close and you're fucked since it takes two to kill. The 9mm makes a better close range weapon with its rapid fire, and the revolver doubles as a semi auto.

CLBridges

MP is pretty good. I'm not that great though, I have a few good games then some terrible ones lol. I really wish when playing with randoms, people would stick together. This is not the game to go Rambo with. I got to week 12 with the Hunters and didn't meet the objective, whole clan (85 peeps) wiped :(. Starting over as the Firefly's and looking to change up my strategy a bit from full on assault to support.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Parts/Min: 297.4
Best game: 5770
Playtime: 23h
Executions: 663
Deaths: 204
K/D: 3.25

PSN: Caelsus

looking for teamplayers

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Would really like to play with some people on PS3 who use a mic. Honestly, without it it feels like you may as well be playing with bots lol.

Gaf Username | Gen X
PSN ID | Weak_Spot
Timezone | Pacific +9.5
Mic/No Mic | Mic of course!

If you add me please send a message to accompany the request with your Gaf ID.

Cheers.

Jumping for some matches for a couple of hours.

If you wanna play, send me an invite.

EDIT: KAOz2000 is joining already so we need 2 more people.

Irish

Just went on a five hour multiplayer binge with some Uncharted veterans! MP finally clicked for me, this was really great. GGS CJ, Brokenoath, CHRP and everyone. Had a particularly awesome run of games with this team of people that would hold one "fort" after another, really good stuff.

Only shame is once again I find myself playing a Naughty Dog game where I have to waste a booster slot to fight off wallhacking. :p

Seriously, those were some badass games against that squad. Don't think I've ever had as much fun in this game as I did in those rounds.

You now know who you have to play with, Nix and Mob. :p

Top Bottom