• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

to be fair, if you let me sit in cover i'm just going to bandage anyways and pop out with full health, unless you seriously rush me i'm going to pull it off too, because first aid 3.

I'd still back myself to kill you, even at full health. If you popped out with armour on though, that'd be me done for pretty much unless I got lucky

New idea: Upgrades/armour can only be bought when in interactable proximity with supply boxes

squidyj

I'd still back myself to kill you, even at full health. If you popped out with armour on though, that'd be me done for pretty much unless I got lucky

New idea: Upgrades/armour can only be bought when in interactable proximity with supply boxes

because you want to encourage more camping, right?

Noticed a scenario where last 2 remaining partners were trying to survive; one went down next to another downed enemy. Partner struggled to revive, and then accidentally executed the enemy first, resulting in his teammates rushing and finishing him off.

Triangle needs better priority

because you want to encourage more camping, right?

How about:

Armour needs to be bought when close to supply boxes
Supply boxes can only be used once per round, including armour purchases
When purchasing armour, you have to go through an extended crafting process

That way, if you tried camping by a supply box to get the armour after being drawn into a fight, you'd get battered as you fanny about trying to make it.

Sorian

Banned
Noticed a scenario where last 2 remaining partners were trying to survive; one went down next to another downed enemy. Partner struggled to revive, and then accidentally executed the enemy first, resulting in his teammates rushing and finishing him off.

If me and your buddy go down at the same time, I'm hugging your guy the entire time. As your boot stomps on my face, it feels good getting that bleed execution.

squidyj

How about:

That way, if you tried camping by a supply box to get the armour after being drawn into a fight, you'd get battered as you fanny about trying to make it.

nah, speccing for crafting should be a viable playstyle. If you're doing well you wind up getting like 1 thing from a supply box, it would suck to wind up with 3 bindings, 3 sugar, and 3 rags and nothing else for the rest of the entire game.

I also don't think limiting armor to single use is a good idea either.

same with x for healing, I can't count the number of times I wound up vaulting cover when I was trying to heal a teammate.

nah, speccing for crafting should be a viable playstyle. If you're doing well you wind up getting like 1 thing from a supply box, it would suck to wind up with 3 bindings, 3 sugar, and 3 rags and nothing else for the rest of the entire game.

I also don't think limiting armor to single use is a good idea either.

Not even per round?

And I'm sure the supply boxes have stopped recycling already in Survivors

RPGCrazied

Want to play single player first, I haven't read up on multiplayer, but can you solo in it? I hate forced team match stuff. I like free for all mostly.

Want to play single player first, I haven't read up on multiplayer, but can you solo in it? I hate forced team match stuff. I like free for all mostly.

Nothing solo. As much as the option would be nice, I think it doesn't fit the ethos of the multiplayer at all

I would like a 3vs3vs3 mode though

How about:

I've suggested having to "craft" your armour before.

Armour DOES get more expensive the more you buy it, and the counter to it is to use purchasable weapons that usually rip through armour.

I do like the idea of purchasing armour close to supply boxes

Matugi

How fun is the multiplayer? I definitely want this game but I want to be sure the longevity outside of the amazing single player makes it worth my $60

Sorian

Banned

Your only way of doing good solo is if you have covert training going on. If you get in against a bad team, you will feel like the god damn batman, shiving and sniping fools left and right. I tend to become a solo player if I see the other team is terrible.

Qwell

I've played over 24 weeks in multiplayer, however I just learned you can hold triangle to pickup all supplies at once.... I feel like a newb. I had even commented last night about how funny it is you can hear all the people mashing triangle when they bunch up over a supply box. I guess not many other people know about it as well.

Something I noticed today

In mercenary mode, no chat, a couple of people who kept ignoring the first supply box to run straight into the fray and take the other team by surprise.

Doesn't really work when it isn't a concentrated team effort and the other 2 are playing it safe.

I've played over 24 weeks in multiplayer, however I just learned you can hold triangle to pickup all supplies at once.... I feel like a newb. I had even commented last night about how funny it is you can hear all the people mashing triangle when they bunch up over a supply box. I guess not many other people know about it as well.

HOLY SHIT!!

Didn't know that!!!
And now:
1372727266452.gif

zert

Wat. Now I feel stupid haha

Sorian

Banned

Holy shii-

#gamechanger

I'll forget that I can do this by the time I play again tomorrow.

I think its that way in sp aswell. I noticed once in a while i would pick everything up and didnt know why, guess this is why. Wonder why they dont tell people these things really annoying they know but fail to tell u

daffy

Banned
Going for a special execution is more dangerous than trying to revive someone, since you'll be stuck in an animation. If you know you just downed the last remaining enemy in an area, there should be absolutely no reason to put special executing said enemy above reviving a dying teammate. The guy you just downed isn't going anywhere and letting your teammate bleed out will cost your team a life. I don't see how that's something you can't agree on.
You're stuck in an animation when you try to revive someone as well. Plus you can't see nearly as well. I only play
Survivors and when someone is downed usually the enemy team starts hauling butt to get in that area if they don't manage a ranged kill. I just dont always want to be crouched over instead of seeing where they are coming from, so I may leave someone behind just long enough to make sure no one is advancing. You stay down for awhile, there's no rush IMO.

You also save ammo by melee kill or molotov/bomb throw, so moving in for a closer kill while someone is trying to get revived is advantageous. Sometimes mates will immediately reveal the team's location by inching back right after being downed. I just don't always see the point in reviving when the enemy can close the distance rather quickly from another area.

squidyj

You're stuck in an animation when you try to revive someone as well. Plus you can't see nearly as well. I only play
Survivors and when someone is downed usually the enemy team starts hauling butt to get in that area if they don't manage a ranged kill. I just dont always want to be crouched over instead of seeing where they are coming from, so I may leave someone behind just long enough to make sure no one is advancing. You stay down for awhile, there's no rush IMO.

You also save ammo by melee kill or molotov/bomb throw, so moving in for a closer kill while someone is trying to get revived is advantageous. Sometimes mates will immediately reveal the team's location by inching back right after being downed. I just don't always see the point in reviving when the enemy can close the distance rather quickly from another area.

You can swing the camera around while you're reviving, you're not locked in, you can cancel out of the revive if you think it's going to go bad.

Really small suggestion

The round should not end until the final player is executed properly. If he is downed, the timer should stop until he dies.

It wouldn;t change anything, but it would make the end of games more satisfying. Like conceding a hole in the Ryder Cup. That's not how games should be won :p

Alienous

I don't trust Naughty Dog enough to mess with the balance without screwing everything up.

The game is, honestly, fine as it is.

JB1981

Tried this the other day and just got LIT UP. Seems you need to work with a good team to have any chance at winning

Tried this the other day and just got LIT UP. Seems you need to work with a good team to have any chance at winning

You can hold your own with voiceless teamwork. Stick together (not so close that a single bomb can destroy you all), watch eachother's backs, revive eachother, don't all face the same direction, don't get seperated (unless going 2+2)

Those ground rules should stand you in good stead.

Lone rangers get destroyed

yea after giving it a go 4 times i think im just about out of chances to give this mp. Im going go play resistance burning skies mp at least that had a moment or two where i didnt hate it. Means platinum is impossible bc for some dumb reason they put in mp trophies this time. Now theres no point in replaying on survival. Really sad too they had a great mp on their first attempt with uc2 and it gets worse each game. They should stick to sp. Although im sure everyone disagrees with me here. Well at least i know they wont ruin it like they did with uc2 and 1.05.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Does this mode even exist? Is it possible to connect to the servers?

Because that doesn't seem to be the case!

Edit: I guess complaining on the internet works.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II

I just found this out just now. Lol

Anyways, what's everyone's setup? I kinda need help

Mind blown.

LifEndz

Loving the shit out of multiplayer. Buying a headset tomorrow. It's almost a must have for this mode. Would def buy a few map packs for this.

Alienous

I ... I already knew this?

In the entirety of the single-player, how could you not experiment with what happens when you hold triangle near supplies?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
PSN ID: mzertu
There's a PSN ID hidden in the post you can view when you quote. It's much easier for me to just log on, accept the friend request, send out the chat invite, and the delete the person than it is for me send out a friend request and wait for the person to reply before I can send out the chat invite.

zert

There's a PSN ID hidden in the post you can view when you quote. It's much easier for me to just log on, accept the friend request, send out the chat invite, and the delete the person than it is for me send out a friend request and wait for the person to reply before I can send out the chat invite.

my bad, I need to read before posting lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Wat. I've been playing wrong all this time. (I actually died a couple of times because of this haha).

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
I have the ninja class.

*Silenced Semi-Auto
*Shorty for emergencies
*Explosive Expert 1
*Covert Training 3
*Sharp Ears 1

I'm running

9MM Pistol
Semi Auto

First Aid 2
Collector 2
Nothing

No Purchasable

You need 12 Points for that, but its a beast for collecting resources

Thanks for sharing guys. Ima try both out to see which one suits my play style.

Btw add me GAF: lZR0COOLl

Those are lower case "L's" in the beginning and the end.

I just found this out just now. Lol

Anyways, what's everyone's setup? I kinda need help
Really depends on your play style. I'm a mid-long range person even though in COD, I run and gun. Anyway:

9mm pistol
Bow/Rifle(silenced)
*Silenced Semi-auto -closed range maps only

Reviver 4
First Aid 2
Marathon(if bow. If not, this is empty)

Reviver 4 is good when you need to revive your teammate in a pinch, which is pretty often. I'm more of a supporter but yet, manage to get at least the 2nd most downs/kills in my team due to staying back and picking people off in the distance. If my teammate is down, I have the chance to kill the attacker in distance and then run to my teammate and revive him(of course, the distance has to be reasonable).

...So why is individual pick up even an option? :S

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
...So why is individual pick up even an option? :S
So you can view one by one what you're picking up. It makes more sense in SP where items are more sparsely laid out in smaller quantities and there's no immediate urgency. If you just hold triangle when you come across a new cache in SP you can easily miss what you're picking up.

Seventy5

I wish that executing someone from a crouch put you back into a crouch after. Can't count how many times I died after executing someone behind cover and then frantically mashing circle when someone starts shooting at me. Risk vs reward maybe? But I needs those bonus parts! Only other complaint is the small map count since nobody ever votes for downtown, but I will buy whatever map packs the put out without a second thought.

todahawk

What a first night!
One of my last matches I was last man standing on my team... 3 vs me on Bill's Town.

I was at the top of the stairs when I got the notification so I snagged the nearby cache quick and went behind a table to craft since I saw the other team on the radar snagging other caches.

Had enough to make two nail bombs on top of my existing molotov cocktail and sugar (smoke) bomb. I placed one nail bomb at the top of the stairs and the other at the door to my right.

I stepped back and equipped the molotov and saw two red dots approaching. I eased over to peek around the door jamb and started aiming for a throw. As soon as I saw the first dude I let loose and heard someone start screaming.

My nail bomb went off (shot?) and I instinctively threw my sugar bomb at the door opening before switching to my revolver. The first guy game through the door and he must have been injured or I got a lucky shot in because he went down quick. The last guy was coming around from the right side of the table shooting but I had closed the distance and surprised him with a machete to the neck.

Heart was pounding through my chest.

A close second for pure fun tonight was flanking the enemy in High School and taking out two silently and downing a third with my bow.

Top Bottom