• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Multiplayer Discussion Thread

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's not a very popular map every time I see it pop up for the vote. Albeit I have played on it a few times but it does feel quite tight with only two parallel paths from one end to the other.

Put it this way, I wouldn't miss it if it was removed from rotation.

Something very irritable I noticed:

Happened twice now where we are crushing a team. I open up a crate to find ammo for my Shotgun. ???

This should never happen for the winning team.

I just had a chance to play MP and boy I sucked lol. Seriously though, there should be an option for noobs to play with noobs. I don't know the map yet so I constantly got shot out of nowhere :(

Reule

Something very irritable I noticed:

Happened twice now where we are crushing a team. I open up a crate to find ammo for my Shotgun. ???

This should never happen for the winning team.

Weird, I've only found ammo for a gun I've bought if I'm the last one alive and open a crate. It's funny because they'll give you like seven shells or something like that, haha.

Finally got the plat and aside from helping two others get theirs, I can't wait to never touch the MP again. The level of jankiness in the MP is insane. Last night on Bill's town I was hiding at the little corner next the the door (the side with the stairs and window), threw two smokes stunning all four players on the opposite team, rush out to clean up only to find that the smoke explosion somehow knocked all four of them up on this air conditioner unit, out of reach. And the best is meleeing someone to the ground with scissors, only for the game to pull a card out of Call of Duty with atrocious rewind style lag compensation where you randomly drop dead and the enemy you meleed is still alive.

I wouldn't wish the MP on my worst enemy, it's just too cruel. They also need to address the fucked up matchmaking. I remember our very first match against four guys - all level 190+ - where we got crushed. And. I'm sorry, but I do not agree with the levels meaning nothing - the odds someone sat there and intentionally left a game hundreds of times is absurd. Higher levels have more equipment and perks and it completely puts new players at a huge disadvantage.

The only thing I wish is to see more gaffers online so I can play on a good team, playing with randoms is really all over the place, sometimes I end up on an awesome team and go 9-1, the next I end up going 3-5 while my team gets completely fucking crushed, the whole time I was trying to deal with a hunter attack in the campaign, hoping I don't lose my whole clan.

I just had a chance to play MP and boy I sucked lol. Seriously though, there should be an option for noobs to play with noobs. I don't know the map yet so I constantly got shot out of nowhere :(
Stay with your team mates; strength in numbers. Don't sprint on the map unless your team mates are (it makes you show up on the enemy's minimap). You'll get better!

Had a great time tonight playing with fellow GAFer's Grinchy, Scud (not sure if he is from GAF) and Stoffinator.

I felt like we all worked well together, and not a single person held the rest of the team back. Think we might have lost a couple matches in the few hours we partied up together. Look forward to playing with you all again sometime.

P.s. to anyone still playing this game without a mic, you are seriously hampering the amount of fun you can get out of this games MP. Communication is really so important to being successful in this game, but it also just makes the overall experience so much better IMO.

Replicant

Finally got the plat and aside from helping two others get theirs, I can't wait to never touch the MP again.

This. 1.5 weeks (in-game time) and I'm done. So sick of the forced MP to earn the single-player plat. Stupid meta-game and stupid goals. Worst of all is the fact that the MP is so obscenely imbalanced.

The only thing I wish is to see more gaffers online so I can play on a good team, playing with randoms is really all over the place, sometimes I end up on an awesome team and go 9-1, the next I end up going 3-5 while my team gets completely fucking crushed, the whole time I was trying to deal with a hunter attack in the campaign, hoping I don't lose my whole clan.
If you know you're not going to meet your population goal, quit via the XMB and you won't lose a day or gain sick/hungry people.

The matchmaking is nonexistent. When I play with friends we generally end up leaving the lobby 15-20 times before it gives us a fair/acceptable match. And even then, all it takes to fuck everything up is a new level 0 who doesn't know the basics and decides to sprint around like its CoD, and before you know it they've racked up 15 deaths.

Grinchy

Banned
Had a great time tonight playing with fellow GAFer's Grinchy, Scud (not sure if he is from GAF) and Stoffinator.

I felt like we all worked well together, and not a single person held the rest of the team back. Think we might have lost a couple matches in the few hours we partied up together. Look forward to playing with you all again sometime.

P.s. to anyone still playing this game without a mic, you are seriously hampering the amount of fun you can get out of this games MP. Communication is really so important to being successful in this game, but it also just makes the overall experience so much better IMO.

Yeah it was fun playing with you tonight even if I was having my worst night of TLoU since I started lol. Communication definitely changes everything. I can't even imagine playing this game without a group using mics.

ShadyJ

Gaf Username: ShadyJ
PSN ID: Hzaife
Timezone: Sydney, Australia (GMT + 10:00)
Mic/No Mic: Mic
Additional notes (Would like a solid clan hookup, i usually play past 12am onwards)

This. 1.5 weeks (in-game time) and I'm done. So sick of the forced MP to earn the single-player plat. Stupid meta-game and stupid goals. Worst of all is the fact that the MP is so obscenely imbalanced.
How is it imbalanced, aside perhaps from the number of loadout points one has?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If you know you're not going to meet your population goal, quit via the XMB and you won't lose a day or gain sick/hungry people.

Yeah... and dick over your team.

This meta game is one of the worst things ever, I swear. It's making for a toxic community.

How is it imbalanced, aside perhaps from the number of loadout points one has?

I personally think the game is imbalanced in the same way that something like CoD is... the better you do the more they reward you. They attempt to mitigate this somewhat by stingy boxes for the winning side, but let's be real here, as great as molotovs and modded melee weapons are (which can usually be crafted in the first few crates) it's the purchasables that really win matches. Upgrading your weapons, buying armor, etc. And the losing team might not have enough parts to even buy ammo, while the team that's rolling can upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. Not to mention more experienced players and teams are used to rushing the boxes, and lesser teams getting rolled tend to turtle, and not even have access to the boxes!

The MP has a pretty high learning curve and it's of the sort that reinforce the winners. The latter, imo, is a gross trend in modern mp games... that ND chose to stick with.

I think the game an be really fun (though, it's starting to get boring) but I have to agree with those saying it has balancing issues (beyond just weapons stats and such).

zma1013

The game is only imbalanced for new people because they literally don't have access to some of the best skill combinations because of lack of loadout points and they don't know the maps but if you have a game where everyone has all the skills and weapon unlocks and has experience on the maps then it's an even game. There's a slight slippery slope to the game, but it's nowhere near as much as it is in Call of Duty. I've had many comeback wins playing with my team where we'd be getting stomped at the beginning, be down 7 lives, then we'd change up tactics and then come back to win the game. If we're running up against lots of body armor, the extra supplies found in boxes really are a godsend as molotovs pretty much burn right through armor for an instant kill, spike bombs will rip the armor off and severely wound anyone who has armor, melee weapons ignore armor, and combo smoke/shiv ignores armor. All loadouts points and map knowledge being equal, generally if you're getting beat it's because the other team is working together better.

I agree though, the game is not friendly to new players at all and the meta-game, while initially seeming clever, does encourage people to play the game wrong.

Marleyman

Banned
Finally got the plat and aside from helping two others get theirs, I can't wait to never touch the MP again. The level of jankiness in the MP is insane. Last night on Bill's town I was hiding at the little corner next the the door (the side with the stairs and window), threw two smokes stunning all four players on the opposite team, rush out to clean up only to find that the smoke explosion somehow knocked all four of them up on this air conditioner unit, out of reach. And the best is meleeing someone to the ground with scissors, only for the game to pull a card out of Call of Duty with atrocious rewind style lag compensation where you randomly drop dead and the enemy you meleed is still alive.

I wouldn't wish the MP on my worst enemy, it's just too cruel. They also need to address the fucked up matchmaking. I remember our very first match against four guys - all level 190+ - where we got crushed. And. I'm sorry, but I do not agree with the levels meaning nothing - the odds someone sat there and intentionally left a game hundreds of times is absurd. Higher levels have more equipment and perks and it completely puts new players at a huge disadvantage.

Agree on all fronts; the matchmaking has completely turned me off from the game.

Everyone in here bitching about the meta game. Why don't you go play something else if you don't like it? - oh because you are forced to play it in order to obtain your "platinum" trophy lol.
I'm a fan of collecting trophies myself, but not to such extremes that force to me no longer have fun while playing a particular game

While I agree that the way parts of the MP were designed makes "winning" the meta game feel almost like a lottery of sorts (largely in part due to the match making) - but the way I look at it is, the odds are supposed to be stacked against your clan. IMO, it wouldn't feel like much of an apocalypse if there wasn't at least some randomness to the whole meta game.

Replicant

Everyone in here bitching about the meta game. Why don't you go play something else if you don't like it? - oh because you are forced to play it in order to obtain your "platinum" trophy lol.
I'm a fan of collecting trophies myself, but not to such extremes that force to me no longer have fun while playing a particular game

Ooooh, watch out, we got a tough, awesome, fun guy here.

If there's someone to blame, it'd be ND for ruining the MP for those who are interested and those who are not interested by forcing people to play it to earn platinum trophies when the main game is single-player. And to top it off, they ruined it further by adding stupid meta-game, which will make people quit their game halfway through because they don't want to mess up their meta game.

Well, whatever. I got my plat. So enjoy your meta-game and your team mates quitting halfway through of it when they fail. Or maybe you'd do it too. Oh wait, that'd make you a hypocrite, won't it?

zma1013

The thing is, it's not even hard to get the 2 trophies, just time consuming. All you have to do is have SOMEONE alive at the end of the 12 weeks, even if it's just a couple of people. The supplies it takes to keep a small amount of people alive are ridiculously easy to get even if you're doing badly and your team is losing. The only time you're ever at risk is when the attacks happen and as long as you make sure to save easy challenges for just those attacks, you should never lose your entire clan. The easy ones to get are the 1st tier of downs, 1st tier of executions, first tier of special executions, first tier of pretty much every gun specific downs, the first 2 tiers of marking enemies, and the absolute easiest one to do is all 3 of the tiers of First Aid Training where you heal your teammates. Do not confuse that with reviving, it's First Aid Training where you heal them if they're injured, not reviving them when they are down. (And by tier I mean when you pick the challenges, not the actual requirements for the tiers, you can only do a challenge 3 times and each time the requirements go up, those are the tiers I'm talking about.)

As long as you save all of those challenges for use ONLY when you get attacked and your clan is at risk for losing people, you should never be losing all your clan members. Even if you only end up with like 10 or 15 people alive at the end, you will still get your trophy.

Naar

I know it's been said before, but this game really punishes good players or tactical gameplay.

If I don't die - I get less parts

In Survivor - if my team wins 4 - 0 then we miss out on parts

These are just some points, but it can be really frustrating because once my clan size is 100+ it get's hard to keep up, especially if I am on a good team and we wipe the other team quickly. Get's hard to accumulate points either because someone on the team is so good and gets all the kills or they don't die/injured and can't revive/heal them

Also I started using Crafter and it's been difficult to craft items because I am usually on the winning team and usually get 1 item per box....

I agree that the matchmaking is very poor, putting lower ranks against the very highest, but I would not say that the multiplayer is as bad as some of you guys think it is.

Once you understand the game mechanics, and when your working together in a team with at least one other person, this game is, imo, extremely intense and fun. It's also a massive breath of fresh air. It's a change of pace from the usual action heavy and fast paced multiplayer titles on consoles. It's not very everyone, however, and it does require quite a bit of patience to climb the learning curve.

Ted

This game is sitting on my PS3 ready to be played, I haven't even tried the SP yet, do you need to have played the SP to "get" the MP?

I've read through much of the thread and think I get the rough idea (but the specifics remain mysterious and tempting).

Does anyone fancy playing with a completely new player (to this type of games as much as this specific game!)?

Hoping to be on later tonight (UK time), I'm a co-operative, team player and I have a mic but use it rarely so as not to wake the family but do always have it on for listening at least to my team.

Gaf: Ted
PSN: ted_wears_a _hat

zma1013

This game is sitting on my PS3 ready to be played, I haven't even tried the SP yet, do you need to have played the SP to "get" the MP?

I've read through much of the thread and think I get the rough idea (but the specifics remain mysterious and tempting).

Does anyone fancy playing with a completely new player (to this type of games as much as this specific game!)?

Hoping to be on later tonight (UK time), I'm a co-operative, team player and I have a mic but use it rarely so as not to wake the family but do always have it on for listening at least to my team.

Gaf: Ted
PSN: ted_wears_a _hat

I'd highly suggest you play through at least part of the single player first, that is the main meat of the game and it will also let you adjust to the controls and style of general gameplay. Some of the things you do can carry over a bit from single player, some things don't. Given that there is a bit of a learning curve to the multiplayer, you will probably get crushed if you have zero experience at all with the game.

Is anyone else having problems staying connected to games? Me and my friend keep getting dropped out saying we lost connection to host.

Vitanimus

For anyone wanting to get into the MP, playstation blog posted a feature that has some pretty good tips that've been mentioned a lot. More at the link. No DLC news though. :-(

Upgrade melee ASAP. The upgraded two-by-four is the ultimate equalizer, and you’ll want it right away. It’s capable of downing an enemy with one hit, cuts through armor, and you even get to keep it if you die! At the start of each match, your priority should be to find and upgrade a two-by-four — you’ll usually find one in the second salvage box you open. The Brawler survival skill is also strongly recommended.
Party hardly. When selecting your play mode, do yourself a favor and select the “no parties” matchmaking option. The toughest teams always roll in parties, and they’ll cut you down lickety-split. Taking them out of the equation will give you a fighting chance if you’re still learning the ropes.
Slow and steady. Walking and crouchwalking (Circle) are essential because they keep you off the enemy’s radar so you can sneak in for a surprise kill. Then, when you spot an unsuspecting foe, don’t attack right away. Lull him into a false sense of security, then strike when he gets distracted or turns his back.
Starter skills. Sharpshooter is a great choice for any build focusing on precision weapons like the semi-auto rifle or revolver. Brawler and Crafter are also extremely valuable, and Explosives Expert are no-brainers if you’re handy with a molotov or bomb. But be sure to experiment — the survival skills are complex and multilayered.
Poison the well. Booby-trapping salvage boxes and health kits with bombs will keep enemy players off balance and paranoid. Salvage boxes make a particularly tempting target: they’re an essential resource for all players, and many players will drop their defenses when they spot one. Place your proximity mines cleverly, around key corners in inside grass clumps, and you’ll be racking up Parts in no time.
Heal early, heal often. When your health dips by a third or more, stop, drop, and heal. TLOU’s cautious play style will afford you many opportunities to patch yourself up — even mid-firefight — if you’re bold. Equipping First Aid Training helps, too. And remember: you can heal and move at the same time.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/26/the-last-of-us-multiplayer-24-survival-tips/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
That's actually kind of poor advice. They never once mention upgrading your weapons, buying armor, or purchasable weapons. (This is the most important thing in the mp imo)

They recommend a bunch of different perks you can't equip simultaneously.

Bomb traps on crates is smart, but it's also common sense.

edit: now that I have read the link my post looks dumb. lol oh well.

mrpeabody

It's not just "number of loadout points". Higher level players get access to weapons and skills that are straight-up better. Plus level is a proxy for hours played, which means even if the loadouts were equal, the level 80 guys are going to stomp just because they know the game.

The base MP is actually really interesting, but the matchmaking ruins it. ND should be ashamed.

Some of you are saying that people who've played the game for a whole have an advantage over newcomers in that they know the maps better?

Naughty Dog should be ashamed of themselves for this horrific oversight which surely no other MP shooter possesses.

Naar

I just got put in a match against 3 people over level 30 and my teams highest level was 2....

My team was just running around exposing themselves to the other team. Got wiped pretty badly

Also right after was put into another match with even higher levels against us and my team was level 5s and 10s :\

Mobius1

Anyone else have trouble joining a party after getting an invite? This has happened several times.

Not sure if it's an ISP issue or the game itself, but I'll get a message saying "could not join"

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anyone else have trouble joining a party after getting an invite? This has happened several times.

Not sure if it's an ISP issue or the game itself, but I'll get a message saying "could not join"
To the same person? It's a firewall issue I believe. I've had the same issue in U2, U3, and TLoU while other games work fine and my system is on a NAT 2 connection.

You have to be able to connect to the party host to join a party and vice versa. If either connection has issues interacting with the other one, you'll get the boot. The easy fix for it is to pass lead to someone else in the party that is able to connect to both of the other members. The only downside is the two members who had issues connecting to each other wont hear any voice chat being spoken by the other member with connection issues while everyone else in the party will hear everything.

If you're having issues joining parties hosted by different people the issue is probably on your end and you might wanna try fiddling around opening ports on your firewall to see if that resolves it.

zma1013

It's not just "number of loadout points". Higher level players get access to weapons and skills that are straight-up better. Plus level is a proxy for hours played, which means even if the loadouts were equal, the level 80 guys are going to stomp just because they know the game.

The base MP is actually really interesting, but the matchmaking ruins it. ND should be ashamed.

I assume you're replying to me so I have to say that I did indeed mention that new players are lacking the better skill combinations.

Weapons are much less of an issue as everyone gets early access to most of the weapons through the pre-made loadouts and pretty much all the weapons are viable for killing. I personally use the burst rifle, which is in the assault loadout from the very beginning and I stomp people with it and I did so even when I was new to the game.

Dart

Weapons are much less of an issue as everyone gets early access to most of the weapons through the pre-made loadouts and pretty much all the weapons are viable for killing. I personally use the burst rifle, which is in the assault loadout from the very beginning and I stomp people with it and I did so even when I was new to the game.

Is the burst rifle the one that make me flinch and loose my aim? Seriously, if you have great aim the bow + upgrade 2 can be the deadliest weapon. Kills in two hits (three, if armored) however there is a weapon out there that throws my aim off. Not sure if it's the assault rifle or the burst rifle, it's rather annoying.

PSN: GAM3R_16
mic: sometime, not often

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The MP is so good. Have they announced DLC for it yet?
No details yet, we only know tidbits of info. 1 SP+2 MP focused DLC packs included in the Season Pass, 1 MP pack will contain maps, no details for the other mp pack included in the season pass, they are brainstorming new modes, they have job postings on their site for a Co-Op and a MP designer (might not be related to TLoU), and DLC packs will probably be ~$10 each if purchased separately ($20 for the season pass). There's also a Title Update scheduled for the end of the month/early next. I'm hoping we get some DLC news when they push out the TU.

dsigns1

Just had my best game. Happened to be on downtown too. Only like the 3rd time I ever played that map.
gQ4hWWC.jpg

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Multiplayer is still boss. Finished my hunter 12 weeks and have moved on to the Fireflys.

Shotgun is king. On of my best custom setups is the revolver, strat2, brawler2, sharpshooter and a shotgun. Had a match at the university where someone tried to run up in my face while i was up in the science center... he clears the makeshift bridge and gets one step inside the door only to catch a blast to face and flop straight down to the ground.

Really want that military sniper rifle.

As i open up all the lvl 3 skills i've been experimenting and made a setup last night with a shotgun, the hunting rifle and a revolver - strat 2 and maybe explosives1? ... it was nice to have an option for whatever ails me but i was wondering if anyone else ever rolled with 3 weapons or if it's just a statistical waste...

watching videos of 100+ level people play very clearly tells me one thing - I need to be shiving motherfuckers A LOT more... these last few days I've been making sure I always have one on me and the opportunities that have been popping up right in front of my face as I play sometimes make me laugh.
"How did he not see me??!!" ... as chris smoove might say. Neck stab!

I haven't played the multiplayer in this game for a real long while. I'll try to get in a few games tomorrow because I'm really itching for a few matches.

If any gaffers want to join me then I'll be on tomorrow, and I have a mic.

Melfice7

When i started playing i complained about listen mode, now i dont even care, i make noise on purpose to let them come to me, what i do complain is after 3 online games ND havent figure it out how to have optional region lock.

Constantly playing against north/south americans being from europe it was awful in uncharted and its awful in last of us, when there's barely any lag however the game is pretty fun and can do stuff like this :D

nzK8LUU.jpg

zma1013

Is the burst rifle the one that make me flinch and loose my aim? Seriously, if you have great aim the bow + upgrade 2 can be the deadliest weapon. Kills in two hits (three, if armored) however there is a weapon out there that throws my aim off. Not sure if it's the assault rifle or the burst rifle, it's rather annoying.

PSN: GAM3R_16
mic: sometime, not often

All weapons will do that if you get hit.

Vitanimus

When i started playing i complained about listen mode, now i dont even care, i make noise on purpose to let them come to me, what i do complain is after 3 online games ND havent figure it out how to have optional region lock.

Constantly playing against north/south americans being from europe it was awful in uncharted and its awful in last of us, when there's barely any lag however the game is pretty fun and can do stuff like this :D

nzK8LUU.jpg

How did you manage 11 revives?! Unless your teammates were intentionally suiciding.

Ooooh, watch out, we got a tough, awesome, fun guy here.

Well, whatever. I got my plat. So enjoy your meta-game and your team mates quitting halfway through of it when they fail. Or maybe you'd do it too. Oh wait, that'd make you a hypocrite, won't it?

Why thank you for the kind words sir! just kidding, try not to get so butt hurt tho, I only gave my opinion

I do actually enjoy the MP for the actual gameplay, I'm honestly not even concerned with the meta game anymore (if I even ever was) - so I'm certainly not going to quit out of a match for any reason. I mean I already lost my entire clan during my first attempt going thru the MP, but I just started right back off at week one and never looked back.

Is this really a big issue? I exclusively play this with friends because the few times I've played alone I always managed to get stuck with idiotic players who don't seem to know what game they're playing.

Alebrije

Multiplayer is great and our team manages to win 95% of the games . My only concern is that we find everyday mostly the same players so when the other players see us they quit the game before it stars.

Are the servers decidated to the same people every time?

Balance in the team is important we play as is were a RPG, each member has a role.

I agree playing with firends is the best but even play as a lone wolf is funny.

Top Bottom