• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4 |OT2| ALL HAIL THE GREAT UNITER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reading this fanfic thing and is it confirmed that Kuvira is older than Korra?

The first time they meet, Korra is 17. I assumed Kuvira was at least 19 by then. I assumed Kuvira was about 2 years older at the least.

Also, General Iroh should have challenged UnaVaatu to an Agni Kai. Then UnaVaatu would have to go back to the Spirit World, since he can't firebend.

tumblr_m69qt5lRkx1qi8xj6o2_500.gif

The first time they meet, Korra is 17. I assumed Kuvira was at least 19 by then. I assumed Kuvira was about 2 years older at the least.

Also, General Iroh should have challenged UnaVaatu to an Agni Kai. Then UnaVaatu would have to go back to the Spirit World, since he can't firebend.

tumblr_m69qt5lRkx1qi8xj6o2_500.gif
Nothing stops the Irohman, but everything stops his boats.

Village

Not that she sounded bad. I'm just saying Kuvira had a deep voice which normally belongs to older women or folks with throat cancer lol

Eh, not really. Voices are the kind of thing unless in VERY extreme circumstances, you can really attribute to types of people since they very often come out of different types of people. Unless you are talking about accents, but that's not what were are talking about.

Afrocious

Eh, not really. Voices are the kind of thing unless in VERY extreme circumstances, you can really attribute to types of people since they very often come out of different types of people. Unless you are talking about accents, but that's not what were are talking about.

That was hyperbole. I'll avoid talking about actual sicknesses since that was taking too literally lol.

My point is Kuvira's voice is deeper than girls I'd consider to be just hitting 20. I'd say late 20s at the earliest.

360pages

I would have liked to have seen an airbender with a blow dart gun, would have been imba

Maybe I'll use that, hmm...

Already had Blood Bending rats. A man who earthbends stones so fast that they can drill through metal...

You can do a lot of interesting things with Bending with some imagination and no rating.

Just finished up my Spirits re-watch.

Lawd oh lawd, I still have no idea what Jinora did. She showed up covered in light, let it go, and revealed Raava. Korra nabbed Raava, and then spiritbent UnaVaatu.

Proceeding to re-watch Light in the Dark with the audio-commentary. I need to know.

Lawd oh lawd, I still have no idea what Jinora did. She showed up covered in light, let it go, and revealed Raava. Korra nabbed Raava, and then spiritbent UnaVaatu.

Proceeding to re-watch Light in the Dark with the audio-commentary. I need to know.
Even Bryke don't fucking know. Write of a theory and maybe they'll confirm that shit as canon.

Daemul

I think Bryke said they didn't know either :p

Toa TAK

Banned

I have some bad news for you...

Afrocious

Trey

Bryke - "lol idk"

"Bryan explains that he has no idea what Jinora did during the Book 2 finale; he left it up to fans to create theories of their own. Bryan’s theory is that Jinora harnessed energy she found in the Spirit World and used it to re-energize or trigger the last sliver of Raava, which allowed her to reveal herself." ~http://avatarthelegendofkorraonline...a-book-2-spirits-audio-commentary-notes/6054/

Wait. So who decided for that shit to happen?

Yeah, that was terrible.

I have some bad news for you...

I think Bryke said they didn't know either :p

Even Bryke don't fucking know. Write of a theory and maybe they'll confirm that shit as canon.

Yup, bahahaha.

Ah it's not as wacky as I recall it, though. She gathered spirit energy and used it to reawaken Raava. I'll buy it. Kind of wish they would have said that, though. Like just have Jinora be like "I got some spirits help me gather some light. I figured since Raava was light, light might help her wake up, or something. Just an idea."

*BOOM* You now have a coherent ending.

Eh, I'll live. Fight is still cool though.

Yup, bahahaha.

Ah it's not as wacky as I recall it, though. She gathered spirit energy and used it to reawaken Raava. I'll buy it. Kind of wish they would have said that, though. Like just have Jinora be like "I got some spirits help me gather some light. I figured since Raava was light, light might help her wake up, or something. Just an idea."

No wonder you're Toa's favourite. Pet of a dictator if I ever saw one.
jk

Yup, bahahaha.

Jinora taking the life force from nearby spirits to reawaken Raava would make more sense.

No wonder you're Toa's favourite. Pet of a dictator if I ever saw one.
jk
I always enjoyed the fight. It's nice to have a big, bombastic ending, even if it does sacrifice a lot of sense to do it.

Jinora taking the life force from nearby spirits to reawaken Raava would make more sense.

I mean, she's super friendly with spirits. Fuck, those butterflies are made of light.

Holy shit. That's what she did.

I always enjoyed the fight. It's nice to have a big, bombastic ending, even if it does sacrifice a lot of sense to do it.

I mean, she's super friendly with spirits. Fuck, those butterflies are made of light.

Holy shit. That's what she did.
You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It's a trap. It's not like she knows what she's doing anyway, cause that would require Bryke to have an actual idea as well.

360pages

A Deus Ex Machenia isn't always a bad thing, how Season 2of Korra handled it was awful though.

I mean, the entre crux of EarthBounds final battle isn't about smarts or clever thinking, or even the strength of the heroes. But rather the world is saved simply because the heroes and the extension you the player simply wants the bad guy to lose. And it's easily one of the most beautiful things ever.

It's mind blowing how they themselves have no idea lol.

Well, taken out of context, it makes them sound like asses. In the actual commentary (which I just finished, very insightful), Bryan talks about how they wanted to go for an open interpretation on the ending and how their main focus was to do this big ending that people would just get absorbed into. Basically, a FLCL ending. Also, stylistically very inspired by Zuko vs. Azula and Aang energybending Ozai.

Afrocious

A Deus Ex Machenia isn't always a bad thing, how Season 2of Korra handled it was awful though.

I mean, the entre crux of EarthBounds final battle isn't about smarts or clever thinking, or even the strength of the heroes. But rather the world is saved simply because the heroes and the extension you the player simply wants the bad guy to lose. And it's easily one of the most beautiful things ever.

You're making me want to pick up Mother 3 again.

Also fuck head canons. I have my own but they're all involving Korra and Asami.

Well, taken out of context, it makes them sound like asses. In the actual commentary (which I just finished, very insightful), Bryan talks about how they wanted to go for an open interpretation on the ending and how their main focus was to do this big ending that people would just get absorbed into. Basically, a FLCL ending. Also, stylistically very inspired by Zuko vs. Azula and Aang energybending Ozai.
But FLCL is a rather random anime where bombastic shit just happens. Going for that kind of thing in a show with a more grounded narrative isn't exactly the best thing to do.

But FLCL is a rather random anime where bombastic shit just happens. Going for that kind of thing in a show with a more grounded narrative isn't exactly the best thing to do.

You aren't wrong at all, but I understand it and I do appreciate it. Plus, they did specifically say she wasn't gathering pieces of Raava to reassemble her. I mean, the answer is pretty basic: she reawakened Raava using light. The only way that light can be interpreted is spirit energy, I feel. If that's the case, does it really matter how she gathered it? We've seen how friendly the spirits are with her. Hell, right before she goes off, she's surrounded by some butterfly light spirits (what she calls them). I don't think there's a lot of other ways to interpret it, and I don't think it's necessarily as big of a deal as I originally recall it being.

Plus, by the sounds of the commentary, it seems like Book 2 was a bit of a painful experience and that they were very excited to move on to Book 3.

So, all in all, Spirits is not as bad as I recall. Good action, cool lore and art style, really good animation, and I really liked the ending and Civil War plotline. Biggest negative is that the characters are assholes for a good chunk of the season, but I don't think that's bad writing. With the way some of them behave, they have reasons.

Also, that spirit fog makes you wonder about the shit Bumi has seen in his time. He started thinking he was being hunted by cannibals and said "Not again" or something along those lines at least once.

360pages

Prayer was the answer ;_;

I can't say that was a deus ex machina considering she had the ability the whole time for healing. And considering what Giygas was... you had to literally look inside your heart and find faith to beat him.

True, you could argue it was clever. But even then calling it a Deus Ex Machina isn't a bad thing, we often contribute it as a writers copout or bad writing. But sometimes it can be used rather well.

Thinking about the entire Narrative of Earthbound and how the game even asks you for your real name. Think about how Po joins your team and how ridiculous it would be in any other narrative.

How Earthbound treats its medium and Destiny is nothing short from amazing.

Afrocious

True, you could argue it was clever. But even then calling it a Deus Ex Machina isn't a bad thing, we often contribute it as a writers copout or bad writing. But sometimes it can be used rather well.

Thinking about the entire Narrative of Earthbound and how the game even asks you for your real name. Think about how Po joins your team and how ridiculous it would be in any other narrative.

How Earthbound treats its medium and Destiny is nothing short from amazing.

I agree completely.

I should plug up my Wii U and get back to going through Earthbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom