• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

StuBurns

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
How many discs is this gonna be on 360? Let's be rational. And it better not have that BS Star Ocean 4 US disc stacking.
They could make the CG 720p.

I'm going for three, maybe four discs.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiquidMetal14 said:
How many discs is this gonna be on 360? Let's be rational. And it better not have that BS Star Ocean 4 US disc stacking.

My guess is 4-5. As for the packaging... I would expect something similar to Lost Odyssey NA version, only because for whatever reason MS won't use the "booklet" cases here.

Syntek

Kagari said:
Well, at least at B3D forums they are saying the game is 720p upscaled to 1080p with the FMV in 1080p. 4xAA as well... so, at least it's actually running in HD.

The FMV in the demo disc looked a lot sharper to me. A while ago, european PSN had a "1080"p trailer, which didn't look anywhere as clear. It might have been due to compression, but my guess is that trailer was an upscaled 720p trailer on other PSN servers.

I usually don't care whether FMVs are 720p or 1080p, but this is really really beautiful stuff, it'd be nice if they are kept at 1080p native.

Awntawn

Finally got my copy today.

Can't see Lightning's panties ;'( There's like a black hole under her skirt.

And Lebreaux is even hotter in real time ;O

StuBurns

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
yeah i just got done watching them. looks like it cuts away to a different (albeit nearly identical) screen.
It is identical. It's just to frame the enemies and correct the arrangement of the characters as far as I can tell.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Awntawn said:
Finally got my copy today.

Can't see Lightning's panties ;'( There's like a black hole under her skirt.

And Lebreaux is even hotter in real time ;O

She's wearing shorts under that skirt :p

Syntek said:
The FMV in the demo disc looked a lot sharper to me. A while ago, european PSN had a "1080"p trailer, which didn't look anywhere as clear. It might have been due to compression, but my guess is that trailer was an upscaled 720p trailer on other PSN servers.

I usually don't care whether FMVs are 720p or 1080p, but this is really really beautiful stuff, it'd be nice if they are kept at 1080p native.

The PSN trailers are most definitely compressed.

Awntawn

Kagari said:
She's wearing shorts under that skirt :p
More like pitch black burumas. Boo Lightning, if you're shy about this type of thing then don't wear a skirt battle ;'( Just look at Selphie and Ashe 3;

stuburns said:
It is identical. It's just to frame the enemies and correct the arrangement of the characters as far as I can tell.
I'm curious to see how the system will be fully implemented. Will we have the opportunity to run from encounters like what was available in XII, or will we be back to holding down shoulder buttons after the battle transition has already occurred? How far will the battle radius be when determining which enemies on the travel field will transition to the battle? Will the size of the battle field be limited by the travel field positions of enemies that were nearby but still outside the transition radius? If we've managed to significantly move across the battle field, will this be reflected in our position on the travel field after battle? If so, is there the possibility that one will be transitioned directly from one battle into the attack radius of an enemy, thus transitioning to another battle?

By the way, Tyrone, nice screen name. I always preferred Roger Mexico, though.

StuBurns

Banned
I've been thinking about that actually. I'm kind of thinking we might get some light stealth elements. If they see you in the demo, they'll catch you almost always, but it seems like you can run away, and you go into this strange sneaky walk when you're in their area of perception and trying to walk.

I also suspect how we 'meet' them will effect how a battle starts, even though it doesn't appear to currently in the demo.

Rpgmonkey

stuburns said:

It not being as seamless as FFXII is (at least partly) due to technical limitations with memory.

Kitase mentioned it in a Dengeki PS3 interview.

StuBurns

Banned
Well either way, I'm fine with how it works, not sure how much I'd care about it being completely seamless, though it'd be nice.

stuburns said:
I've been thinking about that actually. I'm kind of thinking we might get some light stealth elements. If they see you in the demo, they'll catch you almost always, but it seems like you can run away, and you go into this strange sneaky walk when you're in their area of perception and trying to walk.

I also suspect how we 'meet' them will effect how a battle starts, even though it doesn't appear to currently in the demo.
Some contextual stealth elements could be interesting if they aren't some disposable nonentity. Either do it correctly and make it matter or don't bother.

I've also figured that there would be variations not only in how we 'meet' them, but also how this will affect the battle. Previous Final Fantasies have seen formations such as preemptive strikes, back attacks, and pincer attacks, so I expect (and will accept) nothing less from this one.

Rpgmonkey said:
It not being as seamless as FFXII is (at least partly) due to technical limitations.
This seems to be the most glaring defiency in their engine, and hints to me that perhaps it isn't as optimized for the PS3 as some people are expecting. When a game like God of War III has up to 50 enemies fighting Kratos on the back of a Titan in the form of a moving level, clearly the PS3 should be capable of seamless combat like FFXII.

StuBurns

Banned
flabberghastly said:
This seems to be the most glaring defiency in their engine, and hints to me that perhaps it isn't as optimized for the PS3 as some people are expecting. When a game like God of War III has up to 50 enemies fighting Kratos on the back of a Titan in the form of a moving level, clearly the PS3 should be capable of seamless combat like FFXII.
I disagree. I think they've just chosen to use the power in other areas. I think this is the best looking PS3 game, with probably the best image quality of any 720p game on there. They've clearly 'tapped' the PS3 to near it's full potential. If they were happy with it being less visually impressive they could have done seamless battles, but it's not like they are pure advantage. There are disadvantages to them, not having enemies 'lined-up' correctly, having your party magically catch up with you (something masked when going into an 'arena' to fight).

I liked the 20 I played of this demo more than the 20 minutes I played of FFXII.

Snow's a beast too, the normal foot soldiers can only take 2 hits from his normal attack.

???? FFXIII is pretty much seemless...loading does not occur between battles...the whole level seems to be loaded, so I dont think it occurs in the demo between areas, and the loading between cutscenes is much shorter than ffxii...clearely battles going to a separate screen has nothing to do with technical limitations...the first battle is entirely seemless...

I only watched a little of that FFXIII parody but it seemed pretty geeky and the voice acting (obviously) sounded crap...a bit painful really and embarrassing, but why not I suppose? Personally, I think the cutscenes in the demo have the most impressive character expressions I've seen in gaming

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah it's not loading in FFXIII's battle. It's just repositioning the characters according to the battle system's needs.

I hope more of the battles will be seamless like the first one, at least boss bottles. The behemoth battle wasn't and it looked weird as a result (he dashes, then he's just standing there).

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah it's not loading in FFXIII's battle. It's just repositioning the characters according to the battle system's needs.

I hope more of the battles will be seamless like the first one, at least boss bottles. The behemoth battle wasn't and it looked weird as a result (he dashes, then he's just standing there).

Have you seen the cutscenes before and after that battle, with the battle cruiser? Its obviously completely rendered in engine, but it looks like cg to me (just not SE quality cg) ...also the modelling of the behemoth is pretty damn amazing...probably modelling of that kind of monster I have seen of a game...

89.jpg

99.jpg

93.jpg

hard to find an image of the behemoth which trully does it justice

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What I said was that the transition was stupid, it rushes toward the crew at full speed but then after the battle transition it's just sitting there waiting to be attacked, unlike the first boss fight that had a smooth transition.

StuBurns

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
What I said was that the transition was stupid, it rushes toward the crew at full speed but then after the battle transition it's just sitting there waiting to be attacked, unlike the first boss fight that had a smooth transition.
The boss in-between is the same, he rushes Lightening then it cuts to the fight and the guy is standing perfectly still.

I don't care about not having the HUD just appear, I'm fine with a transition screen, but I'd rather it be a little slicker in the transitions.

Ether_Snake said:

I agree I would prefer it seemless..but it isn't a big deal...in the end I find this battle system more interactive than FFXII...which really didnt have any timing related features...real time movement, but not attacks... Versus will probably give you all you want, possibly with an even higher level of visuals...We will probably see real gameplay of that when this game is released towards end of 09

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
We will probably see real gameplay of that when this game is released towards end of 09
A demo of Versus with FFXIII would be insanely awesome. Though, I'm not currently planning on importing it, so I'd be gutted if only Japan got it.

Awntawn

Ether_Snake said:
i'm not so sure those 2 fights are bosses actually. they're event battles in the demo, but i'm pretty sure there will be more behemoth enemies as well as commander-type psi-coms as regular encounters in the game as well.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I know but that's not my point, a cinematic-to-battle transition should be as seamless as the first fight IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if in the final game they are, but right now it's not the case.

BTW are the original PYSOPs dudes really no longer in the game or what? I liked the design, it was really original.

Awntawn

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah I know but that's not my point, a cinematic-to-battle transition should be as seamless as the first fight IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if in the final game they are, but right now it's not the case.

BTW are the original PYSOPs dudes really no longer in the game or what? I liked the design, it was really original.
maybe later. the psi-coms in the demo are just some pmc that's not the official military, according to lightning.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ether_Snake said:

They're still in the most recent trailer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Ether_Snake said:
Which ones are those? I haven't been keeping up with XIII too well.

Rpgmonkey

nelsonroyale said:
clearely battles going to a separate screen has nothing to do with technical limitations...the first battle is entirely seemless...

The first battle is a weird case though.

But eh, he said they were sorta limited with memory once the summons and special attacks/skills got brought into the equation, and couldn't go entirely seamless with every fight, so I'm inclined to believe that whatever the case is will be more apparent in the full game.

RoboPlato said:
Which ones are those? I haven't been keeping up with XIII too well.

I'd assume the soldiers shown earlier that didn't look like Helghast clones.

Rpgmonkey said:

But eh, he said they were sorta limited with memory once the summons and special attacks/skills got brought into the equation, and couldn't go entirely seamless with every fight, so I'm inclined to believe that whatever the case is will be more apparent in the full game.

We will see...he said that months and months ago...even before this build was created...I tend to think things will be further brushed up until release...regardless, if this demo has very little loading their is no reason why it should be the case in the final release...as has been said before, battles don't actually load for any technical reason, just to reposition the characters...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Rpgmonkey said:

I think he meant that since they isolate the characters currently involved in the fight and the others disappear, it allows them to have the summons without too much frame drop. They might also load the summons during the early phase of the battle in the memory and unload them at the end quickly, it wouldn't take long. But having 100% seamless battles would be impossible with the way the battle system works cause the positioning of the characters is important for the way the attacks and the animations work.

Rpgmonkey

Ether_Snake said:
I think he meant that since they isolate the characters currently involved in the fight and the others disappear, it allows them to have the summons without too much frame drop. They might also load the summons during the early phase of the battle in the memory and unload them at the end quickly, it wouldn't take long. But having 100% seamless battles would be impossible with the way the battle system works cause the positioning of the characters is important for the way the attacks and the animations work.

Well I didn't mean that this means the final game will have longer loading or something. :p

Just that there does seem to be some kind of technical reason as part of why they didn't design the game for entirely seamless fights and would do something like remove things not involved in the fight, as you said.

Ether_Snake said:

They could arrange themselves seemlessly...which I would kind of like, but, yeah, versus should give you what you want...I suppose I forgive such aspects in this game because there is another game which should offer a fully real time battle system, which could far eclipse FFXII...I mean versus is supposed to be real time and fast paced, with a party system...could be amazing

Top Bottom