• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Final Fantasy XIII TRIAL VERSION Thread

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
LiK said:
i didn't like that. Cid should stick with being your ally who gives you your airships just like the old days. i hope he's similar to the Cids in FFVII or FFX.

Vehemently disagree. I find batshit-loco Cid to be my favourite Cid in the series, personality-wise, precisely because of all the liberties they took with the character.

HK-47 said:
Cause that isnt what made Cid, well, Cid. It was always the airships. Plus its ambiguous if he truly is a villian

Banana Cid had nothing to do with airships in FFVI, however.

Regulus Tera said:
Vehemently disagree. I find batshit-loco Cid to be my favourite Cid in the series, personality-wise, precisely because of all the liberties they took with the character.

What batshit incarnation are you specifically referring to?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
TheChillyAcademic said:
As I said before, one of the better portrayals the character ever had.

I find it laughable that so many people consider batshit-loco Cid sacrilegious after the fucking retconning dead-as-bones Cid (FFI) got in Dissidia.

rataven

So maybe we do have some info on XIII's Cid. Just stumbled over this on another site, taken from wikipedia. Can anybody confirm?

In a recent Dengeki PS3 issue, the leader of the Holy Government was revealed to be named High Confessor Cid, though no other info is revealed about him yet.

Rpgmonkey

Took me a second to look through the most recent Dengeki (small text+Japanese=/=a fun combination to read...), but I found nothing.

Also checked the Japanese wikipedia, a translation o the article, the 2ch thread, and one of the J-wikis on it as other references to see if it popped up.

Eh.

rataven

Rpgmonkey said:
Took me a second to look through the most recent Dengeki (small text+Japanese=/=a fun combination to read...), but I found nothing.

Also checked the Japanese wikipedia, a translation o the article, the 2ch thread, and one of the J-wikis on it as other references to see if it popped up.

Eh.
and wikipedia foils me again.

If true though, it seemed like Square was intent on keeping Cid a bad guy.
everybest said:
Does the ACC contain subs or english voices only? Still waiting for my copy to arrive.
Yes on the dub, no on the sub

the real power of FF

mchw_042309.jpg

PlayStation 3 - 62,527 :lol

eXistor

Well just finished the demo, talk about underwhelming. I really want to like the game (why would I buy a $60,- demo, it sure isn't for AC), but what's present in the demo is everything I hate from FFX. I know, it's a demo and such, and I figure they chose this environment because it's fairly easy to get done in time (it's just one straight path for about 45 minutes), but if the demo is a decent representation of the final game, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna love it. I never did like it when FF goes all Dragonball Z on us and it looks like this is definitely in that style. I grew tired of the battlesystem after a few battles (this is definitely a step back from FFXII). I felt like I was playing a really good looking version of an 8 year old rpg. I was seriously bored after 20 minutes.

I'm sure the final game will be good and will do so much more than what the demo suggests, but it isn't making me more excited for it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So, I got the demo today, a week after its release, which is good since it was free shipping (I'll probably be ordering from yesasia more often now).

Unlike eXistor, it actually rose my interest from a 2 to a 6 out of 10. The battle is a bit odd, having to chain the things, and idk but I had to press triangle for them to act after the bar filled? I though that was the only negative thing. It was pretty smooth, but I felt I was focusing too much on the buttons and what to do rather than looking at the action and movements.

It was a bit step back from XII in the sense that the organization of the battle is all over the place, some of your characters are here and there, then the enemies sorta crowd around its a crowded at times leaving things out of the tv's screen. But in any case, it left a positive impression on me, and aside from the few frame dips it was good. The green world wasn't as bad as I thought, and the graphics were really good as well, better in action than screen shots and streaming for sure.

I'm hoping that the final will be even better of course, since this still felt pretty rough.

kle89

Neo Member
i enjoyed what i played, the battle system is pretty simple and easy to pick up so far... which could end up being tedious in the long run after 10 hours so i'm pretty sure they'll be adding much other mechanics in to make things much more interesting. I was also blown at the fact that the game's render is 1080p, which I'm hoping the final release to support. The fighting animations are pretty damn slick, if we could execute those moves in real time (KH style), that'd be intense! I also enjoyed the camera controls how certain areas the camera will shift to automatic to give a more cinematic experience (some people may not like it but i thought it was employed excellently).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
kle89 said:
i enjoyed what i played, the battle system is pretty simple and easy to pick up so far... which could end up being tedious in the long run after 10 hours so i'm pretty sure they'll be adding much other mechanics in to make things much more interesting. I was also blown at the fact that the game's render is 1080p, which I'm hoping the final release to support. The fighting animations are pretty damn slick, if we could execute those moves in real time (KH style), that'd be intense! I also enjoyed the camera controls how certain areas the camera will shift to automatic to give a more cinematic experience (some people may not like it but i thought it was employed excellently).

Pretty sure the game is 720p native with 1080p upscale. And the FMV is 1080p... maybe.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well, at least at B3D forums they are saying the game is 720p upscaled to 1080p with the FMV in 1080p. 4xAA as well... so, at least it's actually running in HD.

rataven said:
Yes on the dub, no on the sub
Wait, it has an english track? Are you telling me that I just spent two hours pretending that I know Japanese for nothing?
And count me amongst those who aren't feeling the battle system. Loved everything else though so hopefully the final game's system will be a little more exciting.

Darkpen

Banned
Can someone explain why people keep comparing the FFXIII demo to FFX? I can understand if they're referring to like... the first 10 minutes of the game where you're just going in a straight line, with enemy instances every few feet on what's essentially a highway, but other than that? The combat feels pretty different from previous entries. Everyone says they're aware of the fact that the demo isn't representative of the full game, so then why get hung up on that?

rataven

Saint Gregory said:
Wait, it has an english track? Are you telling me that I just spent two hours pretending that I know Japanese for nothing?
And count me amongst those who aren't feeling the battle system. Loved everything else though so hopefully the final game's system will be a little more exciting.
Took me a while to find it too. The English dub is an option under Setup, then Sound.

rataven said:
Took me a while to find it too. The English dub is an option under Setup, then Sound.
And I thought for sure that I checked there too, I'll try to watch it again tomorrow just to see how far off I was on what was going on with the story.

I'm going to try a few playthoughs of the demo before I dismiss the battle system totally. I did find a pretty brutal combo with Lightning on my first playthough so who knows what I'll find if I keep playing. I think part of the reason i'm finding it a little boring is that they're only letting you control one character. I'm used to that in western RPGs but I really need my multi-tasking in JRPGs.

Edit: I re-read the OP and I see most of my concerns are answered there.

StuBurns

Banned
Got it, played it, loved it.

Just finished my first play thru. My only concern is the camera, it felt really touchy, though I had it inverted by accident, so it could be that.

Everyone has talked about how beautiful it looks, and indeed sounds, so that's not worth discussing for me.

The combat, I can't believe some people here don't like it. It's amazing. Their best so far I think. It's so quick. It requires constant monitoring of the battle, something the others didn't. I had no idea you could select just one action, and have them do it, and just use a third of the bar. From the videos, everyone was always using all the ATB, but that's a waste, if you only need to hurt one person a little bit, just a single attack is way better. You'll end the fight quicker and get a better rating. It's so fast and so 'actiony'. Amazing.

I love it, and I'm very excited about the game, I just need to fight the temptation to import it.

stuburns said:
I had no idea you could select just one action, and have them do it, and just use a third of the bar. From the videos, everyone was always using all the ATB, but that's a waste, if you only need to hurt one person a little bit, just a single attack is way better. You'll end the fight quicker and get a better rating. It's so fast and so 'actiony'. Amazing.
I did pick up on that but I couldn't figure out what the tactical advatage of doing it was since the leftover AP didn't seem to carry over to my next action. I thought by only using 1 point that maybe on my next turn I could use 5 points but that didn't seem to be the case. It would be awesome to get two melee hits in and then finish off with a second tier magic attack but they're probably saving that kind of stuff for the final game.

inner-G

Banned
stuburns said:
My only concern is the camera, it felt really touchy, though I had it inverted by accident, so it could be that.
I pick the second option for the camera controls, it seems the most natural. It is touchy though, hopefully it'll have X + Y axis sensitivity in the final.

StuBurns

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
And I thought for sure that I checked there too, I'll try to watch it again tomorrow just to see how far off I was on what was going on with the story.

I'm going to try a few playthoughs of the demo before I dismiss the battle system totally. I did find a pretty brutal combo with Lightning on my first playthough so who knows what I'll find if I keep playing. I think part of the reason i'm finding it a little boring is that they're only letting you control one character. I'm used to that in western RPGs but I really need my multi-tasking in JRPGs.

Edit: I re-read the OP and I see most of my concerns are answered there.
The remaining ATB does go to the next round.

If your bar is filling and you just need to hit them once to kill them, you can select a single hit, press triangle, the character will perform it, and will only remove one bar of ATB for it, so you don't have to wait as long to do the next turn. And the rating at the end of a match seems to be influenced by time. Obviously in the demo the rating doesn't matter, but I think in the final game it defiantly will.

One thing I think is really strange, is how insanely flashy everything looks even though you barely get to look at it in battle because the hud is so consuming.

polyh3dron said:
Air economy bubble?
Yeah, I was having to wait till my parents came to London to pick up my piano no matter what service I used. The post at the flat isn't very reliable.

StuBurns

Banned
hateradio said:
Not sure if it was mentioned, but the demo doesn't have DualShock does it?
Yeah, there's no rumble.

EDIT:
Played all the camera schemes now, number three for me I think. Still too twitchy, but it's easily good enough.

EDIT2: I also take back everything I said about it not being the next-gen leap I'd hoped for. Having had some time and really getting the combat, it's exactly the kind of progression I'd have wanted.

eXistor

Does anyone know if the final game will have seamless battles? Or is it gonna be the same as in the demo (i.e: walk into an enemy and the screen segues to the battle). I would be very disappointed if they kept this style, it's just another thing that we're supposed to be past by now and the entire demo seems to be stuck in the past in several regards. It doesn't make sense to see enemies on-screen in a pretty wide environment and have this transition screen into....the same environement. I'd play the demo again, but honestly I don't really feel compelled to.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
eXistor said:
Does anyone know if the final game will have seamless battles? Or is it gonna be the same as in the demo (i.e: walk into an enemy and the screen segues to the battle). I would be very disappointed if they kept this style, it's just another thing that we're supposed to be past by now and the entire demo seems to be stuck in the past in several regards. It doesn't make sense to see enemies on-screen in a pretty wide environment and have this transition screen into....the same environement. I'd play the demo again, but honestly I don't really feel compelled to.

Not sure, I'll have to dig through past interviews.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kagari said:
Pretty sure the game is 720p native with 1080p upscale. And the FMV is 1080p... maybe.
How many discs is this gonna be on 360? Let's be rational. And it better not have that BS Star Ocean 4 US disc stacking.

Top Bottom