• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droog

ore wa nama gundam!

Yeah, it's a very weird manga about a man (I think it's a man? I'm not 100% sure it's human) who dresses and acts like the gundam and his/its real life plays out like the events in the one year war, i.e. he fights guys that look/dress like Zakus, etc. Setsuna would love it. I first heard of this via the Unicorn variant that featured in Gundam Ace. It's actually quite disturbing.

Well, she is shit at her job, so it fits. :p

Damn straight. Best foreshadowing in a name ever! Coincidentally this was around the point where I gave up on AGE. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm generous to even have it given it this long...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Destiny was pretty good for the first 13 ish episodes. (probably because that was how long it was intended to be)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I just want to say I freaking love Akatsuki no Kuruma, and Freedom is the best Gundam.

Thinking about picking up either Gundam Unicorn for the PS3 or 0081, any thoughts on these?

I enjoyed both of them, but they're pretty different games. UC is space-based combat somewhat reminiscent of ACE3. 0081 is ground-based combat ala Lost War Chronicles on the PS2. It also has online multiplayer, which UC doesn't.

I will probably get some hate but I didn't like any of Seed's Gundam designs. I thought the Strike & Freedom looked generic and the others dull.
Agreed overall.

I loved the anti-ship swords, though. And the druggies' Gundams were pretty cool. Yzak's Duel Gundam was pretty tight, as well.

At least Destiny had two really great songs for its openings (Ignited and PRIDE).
Gundam 08th MS Team could well evolve in to my favourite Gundam series.
If you're watching the series right now for the first time... just wait until you hit the last two episodes.

Man I wish Gundam Battle Operation wasn't a F2P game, id pay full price if it had more maps etc.
the new suits are cool though.

Same here. I played like crazy for five or six weeks, but then I hit the wall where you really need to spend money to advance further in the game. You don't need to, but you're at a serious disadvantage and it will take forever.

So I played the Gundam AGE game for about an hour last night. It's not bad. Pretty standard Level 5 JRPG that follows the TV storyline for the most part. I guess there is a new scenario that follows Flit in his mid-20s, but haven't got there yet.

I've never played Danbol Senki, so I'm not sure if the battle system is the same, but it looks like it.

Beth Cyra

I will probably get some hate but I didn't like any of Seed's Gundam designs. I thought the Strike & Freedom looked generic and the others dull.

You're not alone.

However my problem was the gigantic and dumb looking backpacks. Some of those things are just so ugly it ruined any chance for me liking them, Aile Strike being the biggest offender to me.

Freedom was pretty low on the list, better then AGE -1 Normal and Turn A but below pretty much all UC leads and 90's AU's. I do however think that Freedom looks much better then Destiny or Strike Freedom. In fact the only one that really improved to me was probably Infinte Justice got a little bit better to me compared to Justice.

I did however really like Blitz. The weapons were pretty good and the design and color scheme was great and combine that with mirage stuff it made me think of an updated Deathscythe.

Well that's only if you haven't watched it or are just trying to block out the entire thing from your memory.

Nah, but then I hated Shinn with in the first two episodes. I ended up being part of the problem most people had with it, I actually wanted Kira to take the lead back no matter how much I didn't care for him just so I wouldn't have to deal with Shinn anymore.

On an unreleated note, HLJ finally put up the pre order for Nu Ver Ka so I got that shit ordered. A bit cheaper then I thought, I figured it would be closer to a hundred.

You're not alone.

However my problem was the gigantic and dumb looking backpacks. Some of those things are just so ugly it ruined any chance for me liking them, Aile Strike being the biggest offender to me.

Freedom was pretty low on the list, better then AGE -1 Normal and Turn A but below pretty much all UC leads and 90's AU's. I do however think that Freedom looks much better then Destiny or Strike Freedom. In fact the only one that really improved to me was probably Infinte Justice got a little bit better to me compared to Justice.

I did however really like Blitz. The weapons were pretty good and the design and color scheme was great and combine that with mirage stuff it made me think of an updated Deathscythe.

Nah, but then I hated Shinn with in the first two episodes. I ended up being part of the problem most people had with it, I actually wanted Kira to take the lead back no matter how much I didn't care for him just so I wouldn't have to deal with Shinn anymore.

On an unreleated note, HLJ finally put up the pre order for Nu Ver Ka so I got that shit ordered. A bit cheaper then I thought, I figured it would be closer to a hundred.
Have only watched 2 episodes so far and thats how im feeling and I didn't even like Kira all that much.
though Lunamaria seems like she might be interesting, hopefully.

Beth Cyra

Have only watched 2 episodes so far and thats how im feeling and I didn't even like Kira all that much.
though Lunamaria seems like she might be interesting, hopefully.

Lunamaria ends up being one of the worst written characters.

She has a certain arc and story line in the first part and then suddenly about half way through they just drop the entire storyline and that part of her character for something else and your left with a WTF?

I know alot of people love her, but there are alot her got really upset by who the team handled her and some of her relationships.

Edit: Sorry, that was a god awful post, I know I'm usually bad but that was just offensive.

Lunamaria actually ends up being the most offensive because the writing team couldn't switched mid way through the series and at one episodes you can almost hear them trying to switch gears and just ramming it home despite it being comepletely at odds with what was happening before.

The movies actually go along way to to fixing her character, if only because the run time is shorter. I won't spoil it but it will be interesting to hear what you think. Some people end up loving Luna others hate her and generally you will hear the same thing over and over again as to why.
lol uh-oh

Divvy

I can't remember anything Lunamaria did at all. Actually the whole middle section is kind of a blank for me. I can only remember the decent beginning and the LOLtastic ending.

Beth Cyra

I can't remember anything Lunamaria did at all. Actually the whole middle section is kind of a blank for me. I can only remember the decent beginning and the LOLtastic ending.

I'm talking specifically how her and Shinn interact and more so how she has a huge crush on Athrun. Then it just kinda drops away with and then suddenly after Stella's death her and Shinn hook up and felt incredibly forced. Granted all the Destiny relationships are garbage but Lunamaria's and how they wrote her is probably the worst of the bunch.

In the movies though they didn't really focus on her crush on Athrun and went with a much smoother Luna/Shinn progression.

Divvy

I'm talking specifically how her and Shinn interact and more so how she has a huge crush on Athrun. Then it just kinda drops away with and then suddenly after Stella's death her and Shinn hook up and felt incredibly forced. Granted all the Destiny relationships are garbage but Lunamaria's and how they wrote her is probably the worst of the bunch.

In the movies though they didn't really focus on her crush on Athrun and went with a much smoother Luna/Shinn progression.

Oh yeah! Should I watch the movies? I mean, for morbid curiosity's sake?

Beth Cyra

The movies are actually much better then the show, at least to me. They do a really smart thing and shift the focus to Athrun alot to balance out Shinn and Kira and the overall flow is a ton better because they cut so much of the bullshit.

It's still not a quality Gundam show, but its easily better then 50 eps version.

Jubern

Guys, I finally landed in Japan!
I couldn't pass on Full Boost so I played a little (4 matches) and...

Got crushed.
In a terrible way.

Damn, the level difference is so obvious it's not even funny. I've been to Shibuya's TAITO Station and West Ikebukuro Adores and the guys I played were overall pretty good and also using a playstyle that's really, really different from ours.
I guess I'll get used back to it like last year, but it's kind of infuriating to see myself get crushed so horribly when I think I progressed tremendously compared to last year :(

But for now, I must say I hate the defensive style I've seen playing a little and watching a lot more (Shuffle) games. I mean some of these guys play it so safe they're okay with seeing their teammate getting killed three time, rather than go in the melee to help. Damn.

Haha im still using the penguin that came with the launch PS3.

Do they have any based on. ZZ or the Preventers.
they have Seed characters, emblems, suits
original emblems, suits
unicorn emblems, suits
some other set that includes Haro
and I think another set or 2 but im not sure what its from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom