• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

New Gundam game for PS3/Vita called Gundam Breaker. Appears to incorporate gunpla into the gameplay.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201209/19021337.html
http://www.4gamer.net/games/185/G018510/20120919036/

It's basically a gunpla battler, where you control actual gunplas and fight in diorama stages. The models are also meant to be to-scale, so if you pit a 1/144 HGUC kit against a 1/60 PG kit, the size difference is actually there. The main "selling point" they've announced so far is that you can destroy parts of the gunpla and watch them break off.

Beth Cyra

It's basically a gunpla battler, where you control actual gunplas and fight in diorama stages. The models are also meant to be to-scale, so if you pit a 1/144 HGUC kit against a 1/60 PG kit, the size difference is actually there. The main "selling point" they've announced so far is that you can destroy parts of the gunpla and watch them break off.

I wonder if they will have any other differences based on grade.

It could be cool to stats or something so a 90's 1/100 High Grade Wing/God was actually weaker then a late 2000's HGUC ZZ or something.

Actually kinda want to check this out a bit more now.

Cloudy

Banned
It's been 10 years, and people are still talking about Seed.

Stop the world, I wanna get off.

The show was great and is still the best Gundam IMO. It was my first one so I might be biased but I've gone back and watched some older ones too. Meh...

Beth Cyra

The show was great and is still the best Gundam IMO. It was my first one so I might be biased but I've gone back and watched some older ones too. Meh...

Yeah that tends to make one pretty biased. Not that it's bad, just weird, even more so to say it's the best when it's based so heavily on 0079 but with worse overall storytelling and heavy reuse of scenes over and over again.

The show was great and is still the best Gundam IMO.

2358618_o.gif

Personally I enjoyed the first half of SEED. Then it gets way more preachy then other Gundam series when Jesus Yamato wises fwom da gwave.

And Gundam Breaker looks pretty fucking cool from the screens so far. Do want. :)

This is a pretty cool concept...definitely interested. Screens look good.

Personally I enjoyed the first half of SEED. Then it gets way more preachy then other Gundam series when Jesus Yamato wises fwom da gwave.

Even though I'm probably too forgiving of SEED since it was my first Gundam years ago I definitely see your point. Doesn't help that the preachy-ness gets ratcheted up in Destiny.

SMH that Kio in AGE has turned into a much lamer Jesus Yamato 2.0.

So I finished episode 14 of Destiny and im finally getting into it.

Lunamaria Hawke is still the only new character im interested in.
Of the old characters Kira is more annoying than S1 & Cagalli has kinda been a damsel so far

Jubern

Eh, to this day I seriously think people tend to exaggerate how bad Kira was in SEED's second half. Maybe because his behaviour was pretty tame compared to Destiny.
And you just can't deny the last 15-or-so episodes are epic as fuck. They knew how to use reused footage to their advantage to orchestrate giant battles and the already awesome soundtrack became awesomer, people died, shit blew up.

I think that despite the visible flaws, SEED has one of the franchise strongest final part.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I liked that SEED's ending didn't involve magic to save the day like with every other gundam series.

Tookay

Eh, to this day I seriously think people tend to exaggerate how bad Kira was in SEED's second half. Maybe because his behaviour was pretty tame compared to Destiny.
And you just can't deny the last 15-or-so episodes are epic as fuck. They knew how to use reused footage to their advantage to orchestrate giant battles and the already awesome soundtrack became awesomer, people died, shit blew up.

I think that despite the visible flaws, SEED has one of the franchise strongest final part.

SEED's last quarter pretty much redeems how same-y the first half of it was.

Pretty much the best use of the "kill 'em all" trope too (even if one of them was retconned).

Jubern

I think that despite the way it handled the aliens and several glaring flaws, it is overall a better movie than CCA :D

I'm dead serious

Gundam Seed Destiny 38

Kind of getting annoying at this point.
Shinn just gets worse and worse, Lunamaria acting stupid. Lacus had to rush back to the Plants yet doesn't do anything for 10 episodes.
The only likeable characters are out of action/useless

edit: finally

Wow some people helping me with the 1/20 figures I needed.
Rain, Elpeo Puru, and a Kira for only the shipping cost.
few others I needed were sold to me. Now Nina
ugh
is only one I need of the standard kits.

kingmozo9

Banned
Recently, I've just been rewatching gundam series ive already seen, instead of watching the other gundam series' i havnt seen... a silly habit.

ive seen ZETA like 14 times.. its epic in everysingle way, and everyone seems to agree ZETA is the best or at least one of the best out of all the gundam...

Ive seen:
Zeta
ZZ
Most of Victory
CCA
Wing
Seed (not destiny)

what would you reccomend to watch now? is AGE any good?

Recently, I've just been rewatching gundam series ive already seen, instead of watching the other gundam series' i havnt seen... a silly habit.

ive seen ZETA like 14 times.. its epic in everysingle way, and everyone seems to agree ZETA is the best or at least one of the best out of all the gundam...

Ive seen:
Zeta
ZZ
Most of Victory
CCA
Wing
Seed (not destiny)

NO. But don't just take my word for it.

08th MS Team, Unicorn and Turn A are all worthwhile (among others).

Jubern

Another "Nope" from me.

First generation was really meh. I watched the first 7 or 8 episodes, took a break and skipped directly to the last episodes (or last two) to see how it was going. Generation 2 was like the false hope. It's good (not great though) and had some awesome moments, which made me think they were getting the hang of this.

Generation 3, which is almost twice as long as the other two, is terrible though. Unlikable main character, even more stupidity from all parties, I dropped it almost months ago and just came back on board for the last two eps. I don't know how 49 will turn out, but 48 was pretty fucked up and terrible.

Also, the generational aspect of the series is handled TERRIBLY. You really get to wonder if 20-25 years really went by between each generation, since the conflict never evolves. And when it really does, it's often looks like it's happening on a whim, which makes you wonder why the shit they pull out couldn't happen before. Character development is terrible too. Girls are baby makers or ignored altogether, some people, most of the cast is underdeveloped to the point of being unlikable... Which IMO is another result of spreading all those characters over 50 years : you only have so much time to do something with them, and they obviously failed hard.

Err... Sorry. Needed to vent.

VariantX

Hopefully, the next series will help me forget about the mistake they made with making AGE. Its pretty telling when you're at the climax of the story and just don't care what the outcome is beyond the fact that it will be over. How could anyone? Its hard to care about any of these characters when they don't take the time to develop them beyond their personalities. Its actually more enjoyable to just watch for the mobile suit fights and for them to show off their arsenals.

Beth Cyra

There's nothing to get out of AGE. It'd not even so bad it's good. It's just boring.
This, out of the first and second Gen I found 1 good character and that is it. Awful designs, awful characters and the worst use of space magic outside of OO's sillier pointes.

Turn A has a lot of lovers as well as haters, but if you enjoyed 0079 and Zeta then you probably should see his last Gundam show.

I kinda have a hard time recommending though because outside of Char I generally think Zeta isn't very good.

I pretend the 00 movie never happened, its so weird. Why introduce that kind of an enemy.

Yup I would have no problem with aliens if it had an actual purpose. It felt like something just slapped onto the OO universe for the movie since they couldn't think of anything to do with the universe as they left it at the end of the series.

I think that despite the way it handled the aliens and several glaring flaws, it is overall a better movie than CCA :D

I'm dead serious

I was hoping for j/k in that spoiler

Divvy

Yup I would have no problem with aliens if it had an actual purpose. It felt like something just slapped onto the OO universe for the movie since they couldn't think of anything to do with the universe as they left it at the end of the series.

My theory is that they recycled the storyline from the SEED movie that vanished. There were actual hints of aliens in SEED that never went anywhere.

Also CCA is a goddamn frustrating movie. So much good, almost ruined by some really annoying badness.

My theory is that they recycled the storyline from the SEED movie that vanished. There were actual hints of aliens in SEED that never went anywhere.

Also CCA is a goddamn frustrating movie. So much good, almost ruined by some really annoying badness.

Jesus Yamato vs. the Space Whales!

CCA would have been better without Quess at the very least.

Blader

Really? Their purpose seems pretty obvious in the grand scheme of 00's themes, especially the ideas of conflict caused by miscommunication and conflict as a form of communication.

Divvy

Really? Their purpose seems pretty obvious in the grand scheme of 00's themes, especially the ideas of conflict caused by miscommunication and conflict as a form of communication.

Yeah, it's just too bad that they solved that miscommunication through magic rather than anything relatable.

All of which was wrapped up already. Instead we retread the same themes with some truly yawn inducing battle montages with a faceless enemy. And the solution to it all was deus ex pulled out of nowhere.

The whole movie was pointless cash in and couldn't even give us fun mecha battles, instead just mechs spinning around shooting thousands of missiles.

I have been looking around to see what people thought of Destiny after I finished.
someone complains about Kira being uninteresting but then turns around and calls Setsuna the most interesting Gundam protaganist.....

Ive seen:
Zeta
ZZ
Most of Victory
CCA
Wing
Seed (not destiny)

08th MS Team
Turn A

Turn A is pretty weird at first but if you keep with it its great.

Beth Cyra

I have been looking around to see what people thought of Destiny after I finished.
someone complains about Kira being uninteresting but then turns around and calls Setsuna the most interesting.....

great.
I had a few issues with Kira (retarded ability compared to rest of the pilots) but he was so much better then the douchebag that is Shinn I couldn't hate Kira.

I had a few issues with Kira (retarded ability compared to rest of the pilots) but he was so much better then the douchebag that is Shinn I couldn't hate Kira.
I actually like Kira in Destiny compared to the original, he wasn't near as whiny.
Shinn helped him look alot better comparatively imo.

Well I thought of an interesting way to get 1/100 characters I need for dioramas without having to customize others into them.
Im going to 3d scan some bigger figures, edit their computer models down to the scale I need and try 3d printing.
going to try it with Sochie & Kihel first.

Divvy

Destiny wasn't as bad as I was expecting based on what I heard about it.
Shinn though lived up to the hate.

It's always going to be better when you can watch the show back to back in a row. All the slow and crappy episodes can be whisked through quickly and leave your memory right away. Imagine waiting week to week for each episode of Destiny and just getting mediocrity and Shinn-sational badness week after week.

It's always going to be better when you can watch the show back to back in a row. All the slow and crappy episodes can be whisked through quickly and leave your memory right away. Imagine waiting week to week for each episode of Destiny and just getting mediocrity and Shinn-sational badness week after week.
Or a recap episode.
ugh that would have sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom