• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiLonius

Foreshadowing?

6s32J.png

Averon

I thought Destiny's first 12-13 episodes were above average. Then the previous cast (particularly Lacus and Kira) entered the story, and that's when Destiny started its quick, steady decent into madness. Destiny's first 12-13 episodes and its music are the only reasons I rank it slightly above AGE.

Beth Cyra

Okay Episode 7 nearly killed this series for me.

The moment Shiro yelled I love I swear I did a double take and picked up my remote to rewind because I was like I had to be hearing shit. The entire mountain love nonsense is honestly some of the worst in Gundam.

Luna falling in love with Shinn and hell even Relena and Heero aren't as bad as these two who have spent maybe 15 minutes together yet he shouts I love you and then they getting in a hot spring together. It's kinda sad if it wasn't for Ina I would probably like this alot more, but jesus this shit is awful.

Edit:

Well finished it off.

Eps 1/7/11//12 are some of the worst and dumbest pieces of trash in all of Gundam.

Weirdly though this show is my most disappointing. Not the worst (Destiny and AGE still take that) but the Ground Gundam and some really cool side characers as well as freaking insane but crazy awesome villian are waisted on two of the absolute worst characters who's shallow development and "love" is so terrible that I did nothing but really hope one of them would die so they wouldn't keep trying to force the shit down my throat.

Honestly, if Ina didn't exist, I really think this would've ended up in my top three Gundam's. As it is though it's on the lower side because of Shiro acting like a moron anytime Ina is around.

Destiny is indeed a train wreck, that is why it's so sad that AGE is some how far worse then Destiny ever dreams of being.

It helps that Destiny has some redeeming qualities, where AGE has virtually none. I feel bad for characters like Woolf and Grodeck getting stuck in such a bad series.

duckroll

So did AGE hurt the Gundam brand?

I doubt so. What it hurt was the business opportunity Bandai had for the last year or so, because if they had a better Gundam series out they would have made much more money. But since AGE was meant to target a very different demographic, the failure to capture that demographic doesn't really hurt the brand on a whole. It's a bad series, people don't really like it, but when the next Gundam series comes along, unless it is exactly like AGE, I'm sure most people won't even associate it with AGE.

Destiny doesn't have any redeeming qualities. AGE has, like, maybe five.

I though Destiny was decent for the first ~12 episodes before going to crap/crazy town. Great music, and at least better than AGE mech designs. AGE was mediocre to bad from day 1. The only good(?) thing I can say about it is that it has maybe a couple of not shitty characters.

Blader

I take back what I said, I did like the colony drop story at the beginning of Destiny.

Droog said:
Not even Shinn and Rey managing to take down Kira's Freedom through careful planning? This was the only part of the series I thought was actually pretty good.

Ruined by what happens after.

Beth Cyra

Good parts of Destiny to me

Music - Number 3 in all of Gundam
Decent Mecha Design

Good parts of AGE
Woolf........
G Bouncer

Things I never believed could ever happen

AGE's Flit is a worse lead then Shinn.

So yeah Destiny ranks higher then AGE in my mind.

Okay Episode 7 nearly killed this series for me.

The moment Shiro yelled I love I swear I did a double take and picked up my remote to rewind because I was like I had to be hearing shit. The entire mountain love nonsense is honestly some of the worst in Gundam.

Luna falling in love with Shinn and hell even Relena and Heero aren't as bad as these two who have spent maybe 15 minutes together yet he shouts I love you and then they getting in a hot spring together. It's kinda sad if it wasn't for Ina I would probably like this alot more, but jesus this shit is awful.

Edit:

Well finished it off.

Eps 1/7/11//12 are some of the worst and dumbest pieces of trash in all of Gundam.

Weirdly though this show is my disappointing. Not the worst (Destiny and AGE still take that) but the Ground Gundam and some really cool side characers as well as freaking insane but crazy awesome villian are waisted on two of the absolute worst characters who's shallow development and "love" is so terrible that I did nothing but really hope one of them would die so they wouldn't keep trying to force the shit down my throat.

Honestly, if Ina didn't exist, I really think this would've ended up in my top three Gundam's. As it is though it's on the lower side because of Shiro acting like a moron anytime Ina is around.

Exactly my feelings. 2nd half of 08th MS team is just crap.

Beth Cyra

Exactly my feelings. 2nd half of 08th MS team is just crap.

It's a shame to. So many good things ruined by those two characters, hell really just the one who makes what would be a decent/good lead act like a total fucking idiot.

Well I will be watching War in the Pocket tonight followed by Stardust Memory. I hope I come away from these happier then I did 08th Team.

It's a shame to. So many good things ruined by those two characters, hell really just the one who makes what would be a decent/good lead act like a total fucking idiot.

Well I will be watching War in the Pocket tonight followed by Stardust Memory. I hope I come away from these happier then I did 08th Team.

The original director died during production and someone else took over from him, I think that is probaly the reason why the 2nd part ended up so mediocre, last fight was kinda good. 08th MS could become the rawest Gundam to date. RIP Takeyuki Kanda.

Beth Cyra

The original director died during production and someone else took over from him, I think that is probaly the reason why the 2nd part ended up so mediocre, last fight was kinda good. 08th MS could become the rawest Gundam to date. RIP Takeyuki Kanda.

The last fight was pretty good. I enjoyed Ez8 vs Gouf Custom, and so long as Ina shut up I enjoyed how Zeon/Fed played out with showing the crazy/dirty sides of both factions.

Just sadly Ina was in the middle of it bringing down all the awesomeness.

Beth Cyra

w92CG.jpg

Love this, jungle battle was great. Hate how Shiro
gets all ideologist and pacifist on us...

Yeah, it was a sad end of the battle.

However up until that it was pretty cool. It was nice to see the tactics the Zeon used and while I wished they did more damage it was a nice reliefe not to see them all blown up by a single blast from you're modern Lead's huge ass beam canon.

Tookay

Totally

They even had this final shot showing how overwhelmingly team Yamato schooled Zaft and how they're suits were all still super shiny.

LDk0Al.jpg

I love this shot.

It was like Fukuda was trolling everybody and Destiny's cast with that one.

If you had problems with 08th MS Team, then I shudder to imagine what you're going to think of SM in terms of likeable characters.

Beth Cyra

I love this shot.

It was like Fukuda was trolling everybody and Destiny's cast with that one.

If you had problems with 08th MS Team, then I shudder to imagine what you're going to think of SM in terms of likeable characters.

08th was ruined by Ina and her fucking awful love story. Out of all the stuff I've ever read about SM I've never heard much about a love story in general so I have higher hopes.

EDIT: I think I remember there being something, but it was very minor. Even if it's not,
so long as the two characters share more then 10 minutes of screen time after trying to kill each other before decalring their love
then it will be a giant imporvement over 08Th Team.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
08th was ruined by Ina and her fucking awful love story. Out of all the stuff I've ever read about SM I've never heard much about a love story in general so I have higher hopes.

EDIT: I think I remember there being something, but it was very minor. Even if it's not,
so long as the two characters share more then 10 minutes of screen time after trying to kill each other before decalring their love
then it will be a giant imporvement over 08Th Team.

hoooo boy

Beth Cyra

hoooo boy

Ugh. Between the three of you I have a feeling I'm not going to like this.

Honestly though it more just makes me wonder what UC fans are thinking. That story in 08th Team was fucking garbage when the tried to push that shit.

Anyway I started. First impression is it's beautiful and the music is great. From 90 and it fucking shits all over Wing and X. Granted OVA but still, it looks great even now.

War in the Pocket is my 2nd favorite.
Stardust is easily my least favorite.

Beth Cyra

War in the Pocket is my 2nd favorite.
Stardust is easily my least favorite.

This show must take a huge dive because honestly Epsiode 1 of Stardust Memory might be my favorite Gundam introduction yet.

Kuo isn't amazing, but he is an interesting lead. Gato and GP02's Gundam jack and the setup for episode 2 are well done. The music is great and the first death as the Zaku is cut in half was a good way to show that we could have many deaths in this show.

So far the only terrible thing is the English Voice acting but other then that, at least so far I'm happy with it.

Found another weird gundam trait though. Mainly my big one was always how Heero are always made out to be ranged units while Heero even says he is better at Melee. Now GP2A always seems to have big Beam Sabers, and people talk about it havin ga giant blade and yet this thing is no bigger then a standard Green Beam and no where close to Epyon or even GX/DX.

Beth Cyra

Eps 2 is slow, but good.

Good

Kou is trained and knows about his Gundam and he is still having trouble, it's really refreshing to have a trained Pilot actually have a rough time at least at the start.

Gato. A bit speech heavy but so far I like him overall.

The Lt. I like how he leads the two and tries to get them to calm down.

Bad

Purpleton, easily the worst thing so far. I like that she is suppose to be smart but outside of this I can already tell I will hate her by the end. Like Mara the Mechanic though.

The animation is all over the damn place. It's from 1990 so it's still good. However I'm sad that it couldn't hold up that first 5 or so minutes of Episode 1.

Pissed: The opening, they had an amazing chance to continue the great opening that ZZ had with the switch from Amuro->Kamille-->Judau and I was thinking it was going to happen when I saw the number and then it's just Kou running. Damn I loved how they did that in ZZ.

Three was a definite step down.
Why the fuck would two people fight over the Gundam, only to let one of the two use the Gundam which is infintely better tech? The shit was retarded in Age and it was retarded here. Also the sexism at the beginning of four is fucking awful. Those three new pilots are pretty damn awful.

xemumanic

I though Destiny was decent for the first ~12 episodes before going to crap/crazy town. Great music, and at least better than AGE mech designs. AGE was mediocre to bad from day 1. The only good(?) thing I can say about it is that it has maybe a couple of not shitty characters.

SEED Destiny was fine by me.......until around the time of the re-introduction of Kira. It then snowballed into utter garbage from that point until the end.

AGE was mediocre to bad from day 1 is exactly right. From the very second it started, AGE was on my bad side. And that's considering I put aside what I what I felt about the previews at the door and tried to give it a fair shot. SEED and Destiny being longer (by a mere episode, like that really mattered) doesn't change the fact that AGE was total shit the ENTIRE TIME.

Beth Cyra

Eps 5 SM - WTF just happened? No seriously Eps 4 wasn't good, but it still was servicable, but this thing.

Jesus Christ. Even with in context of Episode 5 the characters make retarded choices and flip flop how the character is portrayed even in the one episode let alone the 4 before it.

Eps 5 SM - WTF just happened? No seriously Eps 4 wasn't good, but it still was servicable, but this thing.

Jesus Christ. Even with in context of Episode 5 the characters make retarded choices and flip flop how the character is portrayed even in the one episode let alone the 4 before it.

episode 5 is when it started going downhill for me.
I think episode 6 is worst episode of any Gundam.
I actually liked Nina for most of the series and people just laughed... I learned the error of my ways.

Beth Cyra

episode 5 is when it started going downhill for me.
I think episode 6 is worst episode of any Gundam.
I actually liked Nina for most of the series and people just laughed... I learned the error of my ways.

I was talking about how we miss out on the whole week of them getting close, and getting on a first name basis. Only to have Nina pull a freak out session because he is obessed with the Gundam, you know one of his defining traits from moment one.

Episode 6 isn't winning me over with Kou acting more like a child then even the kids in Gundam AGE and running and knocking people over for no reason and just in general acting like a damn two year old.

Eps 6
Did they really just justify Kou fixing a Zeon Mobile Armor that could possibly take tons of lives all because he couldn't cope with not being able to let go of being a pilot? Please tell me I missunderstood something with this setup.

I loved the action and mechanical design of SM. The characters... yeaaaaaa...

The Gelgoog Vs Gundam was pretty cool. Given how bad it was damaged though it made the FA GM taking hits and getting no damage a bit of eyebrow raise.

Ep7: You know, I really don't blame Heero for wanting nothing to do with his love Interest. GOd damn it might not be as bad as 08th Team but jesus, does she Purpleton really need to act like a spoiled 5 year old?

Beth Cyra

Lt Burning
This has to be the most bullshit and attempt at suspense I've ever seen in Gundam. A stray round and then ten minutes later? Give me a fucking break jesus.

Sorry man, as I said it has some good stuff. Shiro and Ina ruin it all of it and it leaves on the probably the worst note it possily could have.

First off, it's Aina. Second, what in the hell? That series was awesome from start to finish, if you ask me.

Shinn and Rey beating Kira in Freedom doesn't mean much once they reveal
that Kira was sandbagging and could have beat the bricks off him at any given time. The fact that he completely styled on Shinn when Strike Freedom and Destiny had that brief exchange makes this even more apparent.

Beth Cyra

First off, it's Aina. Second, what in the hell? That series was awesome from start to finish, if you ask me.

Shinn and Rey beating Kira in Freedom doesn't mean much once they reveal
that Kira was sandbagging and could have beat the bricks off him at any given time. The fact that he completely styled on Shinn when Strike Freedom and Destiny had that brief exchange makes this even more apparent.

I don't give a shit how her name was spelled. She was awful and her character ruined what culd have been an amazing series in my mind.

Stardust Memory is completed.

Nina: Wow, simply Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a character who deserved a happy ending less then her. I would love to know what they were thinking when writing this character.

Great suit design. Loved the start and Gato was amazing, probably my new number two villian behind Treize. Sadly this isn't among my favorite gundams though. Eps 1 and 2 probably the best Gundam opening ever though, and then slowly it decends into something I can't even quite explain.

Two series in a row that where pretty much tanked because of the lead female. Loved Mara though, she was awesome for most of the show.

Next up is War in the Pocket and then I will finish off my UC run with F91.

I don't give a shit how her name was spelled. She was awful and her character ruined what culd have been an amazing series in my mind.

Stardust Memory is completed.

Nina: Wow, simply Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a character who deserved a happy ending less then her. I would love to know what they were thinking when writing this character.

Great suit design. Loved the start and Gato was amazing, probably my new number two villian behind Treize. Sadly this isn't among my favorite gundams though. Eps 1 and 2 probably the best Gundam opening ever though, and then slowly it decends into something I can't even quite explain.

Two series in a row that where pretty much tanked because of the lead female. Loved Mara though, she was awesome for most of the show.

Next up is War in the Pocket and then I will finish off my UC run with F91.
you might find the first episode bad but stick with it, its great after that.

Beth Cyra

you might find the first episode bad but stick with it, its great after that.

Finished the first disk and I think I will call it a night.

Honestly I'm not sure what to think. The idea of seeing it through the child's eyes has it's ups but given my hatred of children in Anime/Games it's not really my cup of tea. All that said though, Berny seems like a good character and I want to see how they continue to both him and Chris.

Got to say I don't think I will value it as much as I should simply because of Al, but I will finish off the series and see how they really try to push the war out look through a child and maybe I will come around.

Model Graphic Nov. 2012 has an interesting interview with some of the AGE writers and Junya Ishigaki (Vegan MS designer). The interview is slanted towards the gunpla. I'm just copying the bullet points from 4chan, but the short of it is that they throw Hino under a bus for the show's failings.

-Hino is a new type of person that has never been involved with Gundam before
-Usually when enemies show up all of a sudden inside a space colony, people try to explain why; Hino however thinks this is unimportant.
-What he thinks is important is the timing of the enemies showing up: He has a tendency to think of a story as a sequence of in-game events.
-The staff working on the show had to take Hino's ideas and add the missing logic to them.
-They purposely left holes in the setting so that the fans would bite, and use those for getting ideas, but unfortunately this did not work out at all.
-At first they did not find the bad response to Age especially surprising, as this had happened with other Gundam series countless times before.
-However, about three months in (around December) they started to feel that something was wrong
-With other series, this is the point that the viewers start to say positive things, but this was not the case with Age. Even though there were positive things said, the negative things overwhelmed them drastically.
-Even so the staff tried their best to make the show interesting.
-They started to get confidence around the time HG AGE-2 went on sale. Sales also stabilized around this point.
-They found it interesting how many users played around modifying Age kits (more than usual).
-One of Age's unique qualities was being able to see a lot of modded kits while the show was airing.

Stuff from Ishigaki (Vegan MS designer)
-He has participated in other Gundam series and knew from the beginning that the Vegan designs would be unpopular with Gun-ota
-The Vegan designs were order-made
-He remembered how unpopular Zanscar's designs were and himself wondered if it would be a good idea to go with these

Beth Cyra

Model Graphic Nov. 2012 has an interesting interview with some of the AGE writers and Junya Ishigaki (Vegan MS designer). The interview is slanted towards the gunpla. I'm just copying the bullet points from 4chan, but the short of it is that they throw Hino under a bus for the show's failings.

Haha that is fucking great.

Even the staff was like Hino you're a fucking idiot.

Wonder if there is any info in that book about how they feel the Wing/SEED project has been going.

That and a piece on Unicorn and how amazing it's done to counter balance the negative AGE shit.

I doubt so. What it hurt was the business opportunity Bandai had for the last year or so, because if they had a better Gundam series out they would have made much more money. But since AGE was meant to target a very different demographic, the failure to capture that demographic doesn't really hurt the brand on a whole. It's a bad series, people don't really like it, but when the next Gundam series comes along, unless it is exactly like AGE, I'm sure most people won't even associate it with AGE.
Bandai are lucky Unicorn is doing gangbusters enough to cover AGE's failure. Heck, Gundam The Origin will probably do well enough to cover the next TV Gundam failure -
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 2: Kill 'Em All Softly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom