• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

The interesting thing is that you wouldn't hear this if Hino was a Sunrise/Bandai in-house writer or director like Fukuda. But because he's an outsider, he's fair game.

Likely not. However that doesn't stop me from enjoying seeing a blunt and honest response from them about it.

Bandai are lucky Unicorn is doing gangbusters enough to cover AGE's failure. Heck, Gundam The Origin will probably do well enough to cover the next TV Gundam failure -
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 2: Kill 'Em All Softly

Gundam the Origin is a manga right? Didn't it end last year?

Averon

-Usually when enemies show up all of a sudden inside a space colony, people try to explain why; Hino however thinks this is unimportant.

-The staff working on the show had to take Hino's ideas and add the missing logic to them.

-They purposely left holes in the setting so that the fans would bite, and use those for getting ideas, but unfortunately this did not work out at all.

Wow. That's all I can say.

duckroll

The interesting thing is that you wouldn't hear this if Hino was a Sunrise/Bandai in-house writer or director like Fukuda. But because he's an outsider, he's fair game.

Well, I kinda disagree with this. The reason why we wouldn't hear this if he was a in-house writer/director is because if he were an in-house staff in Sunrise, then he wouldn't have so much creative control to begin with. So a situation like this would never happen in the first place. The reverse would probably happen, with the director giving off the record interviews about how Sunrise producers kept demanding changes and fucked it all up. :p

Model Graphic Nov. 2012 has an interesting interview with some of the AGE writers and Junya Ishigaki (Vegan MS designer). The interview is slanted towards the gunpla. I'm just copying the bullet points from 4chan, but the short of it is that they throw Hino under a bus for the show's failings.

Oh wow...smh again at lolHino. No wonder AGE was a total disaster.

PhiLonius

Damn at the Hino stuff lol. Keep him away pls.

I don't give a shit how her name was spelled. She was awful and her character ruined what culd have been an amazing series in my mind.

Stardust Memory is completed.

Nina: Wow, simply Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a character who deserved a happy ending less then her. I would love to know what they were thinking when writing this character.

Great suit design. Loved the start and Gato was amazing, probably my new number two villian behind Treize. Sadly this isn't among my favorite gundams though. Eps 1 and 2 probably the best Gundam opening ever though, and then slowly it decends into something I can't even quite explain.

Two series in a row that where pretty much tanked because of the lead female. Loved Mara though, she was awesome for most of the show.

Next up is War in the Pocket and then I will finish off my UC run with F91.

I know there is pretty much universal hate for Quess from CCA, and other female characters like Relena, Marina, Dorothy's eyebrows, Dorothy, Flay, Lacus, etc... get their fair share of criticism, but for me no one even comes close to Nina lol. She seriously needed to just die a horrible, horrible death.

0080 is pretty good, and though she doesn't get a whole lot of screen time Christina is one of the better female characters in Gundam. I've only seen F91 once but I remember it moving really fast, pacing wise.

I know there is pretty much universal hate for Quess from CCA, and other female characters like Relena, Marina, Dorothy's eyebrows, Dorothy, Flay, Lacus, etc... get there fair share of criticism, but for me no one even comes close to Nina lol. She seriously needed to just die a horrible, horrible death.

You know, I don't really remember much from 0083 besides Gato and Kou. Maybe I'll watch that again for the lulz.

Droog

Model Graphic Nov. 2012 has an interesting interview with some of the AGE writers and Junya Ishigaki (Vegan MS designer). The interview is slanted towards the gunpla. I'm just copying the bullet points from 4chan, but the short of it is that they throw Hino under a bus for the show's failings.

Assuming that's all true, that certainly explains a lot regarding AGE's failings.

Im really wanting to watch Age now and see this train wreck for myself.
beyond just the art style

It's really not worth it, it's just so mediocre. I'm sure many people have said this before but the series is not bad that it's good/funny, it's just boring and tedious. Your time can be better spent elsewhere.

Im really wanting to watch Age now and see this train wreck for myself.
beyond just the art style
No a train wreck implies action, excitement and things happening. None of these words describe AGE.
Oh wow...smh again at lolHino. No wonder AGE was a total disaster.
It's a total disaster because they had to try and turn a video game into an anime. And failed horribly at it.

That is fascinating. I didn't hate AGE as much as everyone else here, but I really do hope that Sunrise takes Gundam back to either an in-house team, an outsider who understands the property, or hands it off to people at BONES who used to work for Sunrise and did Gundam in the past.

Also, I've been playing the AGE PSP game lately. It's not that bad, actually.

I don't give a shit how her name was spelled. She was awful and her character ruined what culd have been an amazing series in my mind.

Stardust Memory is completed.

Nina: Wow, simply Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a character who deserved a happy ending less then her. I would love to know what they were thinking when writing this character.

I strongly disagree about Aina, but yes Nina was (and still is) the worst Gundam female in history. Not even Flay's douchebaggery comes close.

I think I'd go for Quess as well.

Gato was the best thing about 0083, even though he was pretty much a zealot. Zeon ace pilots usually are more badass than their Feddie counterparts.

Usually when enemies show up all of a sudden inside a space colony, people try to explain why; Hino however thinks this is unimportant.
-What he thinks is important is the timing of the enemies showing up: He has a tendency to think of a story as a sequence of in-game events.
-The staff working on the show had to take Hino's ideas and add the missing logic to them.

I think its unimportant as long as it leads to cool looking action fights and what not. All of the battles at [insert name] colony were really good.

I do agree with the vegan designs. Only like the Zeydra looked good and then the Legilus and Faunfarsia.

Enron

Banned
AYYYYYYYY SEXY LAAAAAADYY

f25b_gundamstyle.jpg

I received SD Gundam G Generation World in the mail a few days back, and have found it to be totally addictive, even if I'm still figuring things out (especially evolutionary paths to get the machines I want). It looks like there is a ton to collect here...I'm sure I'll pick up Overworld eventually but this is certainly more than enough for now.

Sufjan Stevens has another Christmas boxset coming out next month, which I'm absolutely psyched for.

What the hell does a sometimes folk, sometimes electropop, but always banjo wielding musician have to do with Gundam? This is the art for one of the discs...

AKR100_v8_christmas_infinity_voyage.jpg

Sufjan Stevens has another Christmas boxset coming out next month, which I'm absolutely psyched for.

What the hell does a sometimes folk, sometimes electropop, but always banjo wielding musician have to do with Gundam? This is the art for one of the discs...
Ewwwwww Sufjan Stevens is a SEED fan.

It's your fault!

What do you mean? I was trying to save the colony from this ace Zeon pilot, broke my arm, completely trashed my mobile suit (never going to hear the end of this from Amuro). To top it all off, they transfered me back to earth... I'm lucky to be alive after that encounter!

Speaking of which, I haven't heard from Al in a while... I wonder how Bernie is doing...

Dambrosi

Banned
Interview with Hino from Newtype November 2012, found on 4chan /m/.

http://randal.blog91.fc2.com/blog-entry-2014.html said:
-Now that the show is over, tell us what you feel about it.
Hino: Well, honestly I think we could've used more episodes. For example it would've been nice if there were say another ten episodes for Asem's school part. In the project phase we were originally going to broadcast Age for a year and a half (6 cours = 78 episodes), so the whole show would've been better if we just had more time.

-Each generation was unique in its own way
Hino: Flit's a stubborn old man, Asem's a regular guy, and Kio is a child striving for his ideals, and each of them has their own different volume of emotions. I took Flit's "stubborn old man you can't understand" character from an old drama series with Kobayashi Asei.

-What is your image of the three main characters?
Hino: Flit's a father. He's stubborn and has his way, but you can rely on him. I think Asem is the one the fans can relate to the best, being jealous of his best friend and facing his barriers and limits he's pretty much a normal person. Kio's desire to stop the war and get everyone together is a valid way of thinking, I believe, but is a type of fantasy.

-Did you think of changing the balance of having one cours for each generation?
Hino: As it's a family drama, having the last cours star all three characters was necessary. Also necessary to link up to the three of them joining forces was the theme of Kio, at first fighting the enemy as if playing a video game, meeting Izelcant and eventually growing to disavowal war. As a result Kio required more episodes and we had to compress Asem's story a bit.

-Looking back, are there any particular episodes you liked?
Hino: I liked them all, but the one I liked the most would be Wolf's death. He left the words "Super Pilot" to Asem, but if you think about it those words are kind of ridiculous and compared to X rounders have no substance to them at all. But Asem took those meaningless words and turned them into a status, and used them to become strong. The visuals in that episode were great too so it left a really strong impression on me. I think it was a mistake to have Wolf die so early though, I really wanted to have an episode where the older Asem visited him.

-What do you think of the conclusion?
Hino: It was great because we managed to tie up the endings of all three generations. There was the feeling that we had to settle things between Asem and Zeheart once and for all. Also, the story of two forces fighting and eventually coming to accept one another is pretty standard for Gundam, I believe.

-How Flit who had spent his entire life wanting to destroy the Vegans stopped at the very last moment left an extremely strong impression on us.
Hino: The opinion that it wasn't that good to have him leave the final decision to a woman who isn't even his wife. I mean, he married Emily, has kids, yet in the end it's Yurin. But you have to remember that he didn't just part with her, he lost her at a stage of growth when he was at his most sensitive. Even though he's married he can't forget her. This kind of stuff happens in real life too, not just cartoons. The female staff on the team didn't understand at all, but I personally feel it was extremely realistic.

-Was bringing new elements into Gundam such as the three part format done for the sake of bringing new elements in?
Hino: The personality of the show I wanted to display the most was family drama with the passing of time. Aside from that we strove to keep a Gundam-like image. At the base of the whole thing is the history of Gundam, and we wanted to show that to the children. The designs of the Gundams evolving as if tracing the history of Gundam was done on purpose.

-Was that done to keep the "Gundam-like" image?
Hino: While we wanted to keep in line for the most part, there were also parts where we wanted to step out of line. We wanted to go crazy and put in really interesting stuff. But with Gundam you have to think about a lot of other factors, including the merchandise, so we couldn't really do everything we wanted. In exchange we at least managed to keep the balance in the games.

-In what way did you feel Age was "Gundam-like"?
Hino: I always had that feeling of "Gundam-like"ness even before I started creating Age. Basically it's the concept of humans pitting their thoughts and emotions against each other through the medium of Mobile Suits. What was difficult was whether to depict the Gundam as a hero or a weapon. The tuning there is what determines Gundam, I think. For example in one of the scenario meetings we discussed how the weapons and war need to be depicted more realistically, while in another meeting the opinion of how it should be a more crazy super robot thing turned up. This stuff changed every week. Everyone, even among the stuff and fans, has different experiences with Gundam, so not everyone has the same image.

-That's the difficulty of working with something that's been going on for 30 years, yes?
Hino: There are many different groups of Gundam fans, and I found that it's extremely difficult to please all of them at the same time. I never actually thought about that before we started creating Age, and now that it's over I'm not sure if that was for better or for worse. "What is Gundam?" is going to be the eternal theme for all future creators of Gundam as well as myself from now on. If you have a chance to discuss Gundam, I'd be happy if Age would be the subject of the conversation.

-What is your straight opinion on working with Gundam?
Hino: Gundam has strong influencing power, and I received a lot of advice and criticism from the fans. But even so I really enjoyed myself each time. I think the reason I managed to find this to be so much fun even though it was really difficult is because the DNA inside me received the influence of Gundam as a child.

-Finally, a message for your fans please.
Hino: I really love Gundam and was truly glad to be able to stay with the project to the end. I feel that we managed to achieve the concept of depicting protagonists of different generations, and that Age can be lined up alongside the other past Gundams. While I'm not sure if it managed to fulfil everyone's expectations, I created Age with the opinion that this is one way that Gundam can be great. Also working in the field let me feel the power of Gundam, and interacting with the fans showed me how big Gundam is. I will definitely use this experience to better whatever I work on from now on, and if I have a chance to work with Gundam again, I would love to.

So, even Hino thinks Kio was living in a fantasy world with his so-called "ideals". Good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom