• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jubern

So, I was in Akiba yesterday and there was a little Robot Damashii exposition. Not just Gundam, but what the hell:

ibdVHnpsERT4Hy.JPG

ibymxsnpbaEqoF.jpg

ioxCSqWwSeMpN.JPG

i4WPPHBZ91nak.JPG

ibzbPsD2VRtJ2c.JPG

ibskVTFkOnwwwB.JPG

Non-Gundam stuff:
Macross F valkyries
Code Geass (Lelouch series & Akito series)
L-Gaim
Full Metal Panic! (dat Levantaein) & what I suppose are ASes from the sequel
Fafner movie

I took all these photos with my iPhone 4, the lighting wasn't really good and I was in a hurry when I stumbled on all of this, so forgive me for the quality m(-_-)m

CorvoSol

The gundams, I don't think there are action figures of all of the pilots actually.

I bet some of those are hard to track down now. I'd definitely like at least the God and Master Gundams.

So, I was in Akiba yesterday and there was a little Robot Damashii exposition. Not just Gundam, but what the hell:

Non-Gundam stuff:
Macross F valkyries
Code Geass (Lelouch series & Akito series)
L-Gaim
Full Metal Panic! (dat Levantaein) & what I suppose are ASes from the sequel
Fafner movie

I took all these photos with my iPhone 4, the lighting wasn't really good and I was in a hurry when I stumbled on all of this, so forgive me for the quality m(-_-)m

Jubern, was that Laevatein for sale? Because I definitely would be interested in that. Also: I did not know that FMP SPOILERS
Leonard's Belial was black
. The purple unit there is definitely a custom savage, one of the regular mook units on the show (like the FMP equivalent of a Zaku.)

Damn, that Laevatein . . .

How much is Y4725 in USD, roughly?

Dead

well not really...yet
I bet some of those are hard to track down now. I'd definitely like at least the God and Master Gundams.

Jubern, was that Laevatein for sale? Because I definitely would be interested in that. Also: I did not know that FMP SPOILERS
Leonard's Belial was black
. The purple unit there is definitely a custom savage, one of the regular mook units on the show (like the FMP equivalent of a Zaku.)

Damn, that Laevatein . . .

How much is Y4725 in USD, roughly?
a little less than $50

Dead

well not really...yet
thats nothing

try to rationalize between $160 to $350, that's when you will have hit rock bottom

:(

CorvoSol

thats nothing

try to rationalize between $160 to $350, that's when you will have hit rock bottom

:(

This is why I space them out. Because thinking about how much they cost, especially when sitting next to my legos and above my games makes me just kinda get pale in the face.

Looking more closely at the Black AS in the picture with the Laevatein, the tag beneath Laevatein reads 2011/4/16, or the 16th of April, 2011, but the one beneath the black AS reads 2013/9, or September 2013. I can't read Japanese and would like to know what these dates are referring to, since, at least in the Manga, the Black AS was introduced before the Laevatein.

Jubern

Jubern, was that Laevatein for sale? Because I definitely would be interested in that.

This was just an exhibit, there was nothing for sale. But it's written on the nameplate that this particular model has been available for over two years already. Belial, on the other hand, comes out this September.

CorvoSol

This was just an exhibit, there was nothing for sale. But it's written on the nameplate that this particular model has been available for over two years already. Belial, on the other hand, comes out this September.

Ah, okay, that explains the dates I saw, then. Still, if they're still displaying the Laevatein, I can at least expect the price not to shoot up in the near future. Thanks!

Most I've spent Gunpla is like 120 for 3 kits in one outting. I've wanted to do MGs, but I can't justify spending 80+ for one kit, when I get two or three HGs for that price.

Jubern

Ah, okay, that explains the dates I saw, then. Still, if they're still displaying the Laevatein, I can at least expect the price not to shoot up in the near future. Thanks!

You're welcome!
Just checked Amazon and it's readily available for about 3300 yen.

CorvoSol

Does Amazon Japan even ship this kind of product outside of Japan? I'm not sure.

I don't know, either. It Amazon JP doesn't recognize my regular Amazon account. It'd be nice to get it from them if shipping was cheap, though, because 3300 Yen is a fair amount cheaper than what Amazon US has it for.

isny

napkin dispenser
I don't know, either. It Amazon JP doesn't recognize my regular Amazon account. It'd be nice to get it from them if shipping was cheap, though, because 3300 Yen is a fair amount cheaper than what Amazon US has it for.

Amazon.co.jp is a separate site, and you need to sign up for another account in order to shop with them.

However, they do not ship models outside Japan.

"We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination."

CorvoSol

I found a place selling preorders of the models reissue for 36 bucks plus shipping, and I'm thinking about going through there. Unless shipping exceeds 6 bucks, its still cheaper than anywhere else I've found so far.

On topic: I'm really, really loving ZZ Gundam guys. Like, the beginning was slow and dumb, but after
Leina's Blood
I'm hooked.

I found a place selling preorders of the models reissue for 36 bucks plus shipping, and I'm thinking about going through there. Unless shipping exceeds 6 bucks, its still cheaper than anywhere else I've found so far.

On topic: I'm really, really loving ZZ Gundam guys. Like, the beginning was slow and dumb, but after
Leina's Blood
I'm hooked.

That's generally how people are with the series.

I personally liked it all the way through, but it definitely gets better after they go to Earth

Gundam Seed HD Remaster 41
tumblr_moba75xBDd1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_moba75xBDd1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Easily the best two of the three. In episode, I think Shani is the best of them all, his personality, and voice when he gets all into battle there is really intense and adds a whole additional layer of fun to the fight. I kind of wish them for some success as I do want them to stay around. Otherwise, Im really liking all thats going on and how everything is falling into place to converge at this one colony here.
Natarle v Ramius Dominion v Archangel was rather interesting and quite intense as it just feels a lot is on the line. Friends against Friends unwilling to surrender now waging war through these difficult times, Natarle trying to prove that she is a good captain and what not and actually win with her excellent tactics to prove herself to and shut Azrael up, and then now Yzak/Dearka action going on too, while Kira/Athrun face off against Forbidden Gundam--It just seems so many of one of my favorite types of setups is going on at once that I just am enjoying it much. One thing that was odd was who was the genius that decided to board and send out the Kusanagi? What role does it even have, they should have just boarded the other vessels present instead of getting caught in that trap. And speaking of traps, the scene when Dominion appeared right behind Archangel and Ramius hair was flying behind her and she was so in shock was priceless
. Good. I kind of really want more Seed if this keeps up, I hope Destiny is comparable.

I wish I was around when the anime was going and such, the anime got such good official arts, especially for the three. I wouldnt mind.

I found this on /m/ and thought it was pretty cool so I figured I'd share it here.

tlImN16.jpg

Basically it was a prank a magazine pulled before ZZ came out. Still there are some similarities.

I never really watched the original UC Gundam nor did I watch most of Char's Counterattack.

Can anyone tell me what happened to Sayla Mass? Weren't she and Amuro lovers?

John Blade

I am now at the halfway point of Zeta Gundam. Liking it so far. Watching the english dub of the show and it sound okay except for certain scene where they is a long pause between talk. Will continue watching the show and try to finish it.

Also, is anyone here bought the Zeta Gundam DVD release for North America?

I never really watched the original UC Gundam nor did I watch most of Char's Counterattack.

Can anyone tell me what happened to Sayla Mass? Weren't she and Amuro lovers?

They were building towards it, but nothing ever came of it. After the war, they drifted apart. Fraw Bow implies in Zeta that Amuro still has a crush on her and should get in contact with her.

However, then the plot of Zeta happens, he dates Beltorchika for a bit, then breaks up with her and eventually dates Chan.

As for what happened to Sayla...

She pretty much just stops giving a fuck about politics. She's exhausted and pretty much goes into seclusion, though she seems to be pretty well off in general. Shes a few appearances in ZZ, but doesn't do much.

The real reason for Sayla's lack of involvement? Scheduling conflicts with her voice actress, and Tomino's unwillingness to recast the character. It's a shame. I would have liked for her to be in Char's Counterattack.

And now that her voice actress is dead, I don't see her ever being in another UC show again, unless the Origin anime actually happens. Her lack of involvement outside the original series makes it easy for her to be buried, unlike Bright.

I am now at the halfway point of Zeta Gundam. Liking it so far. Watching the english dub of the show and it sound okay except for certain scene where they is a long pause between talk. Will continue watching the show and try to finish it.

Also, is anyone here bought the Zeta Gundam DVD release for North America?

I did

They were building towards it, but nothing ever came of it. After the war, they drifted apart. Fraw Bow implies in Zeta that Amuro still has a crush on her and should get in contact with her.

However, then the plot of Zeta happens, he dates Beltorchika for a bit, then breaks up with her and eventually dates Chan.

We often like to refer to Char as someone who cannot really have any long lasting, deep and/or meaningful relationships with women (of his own age and younger), but you could definitely apply the same moniker to Amuro too. Both are pretty messed up in that department permanently after the Lalah incident.

The novelization of MSG however ventures into R rated territory with the two of them. (Amuro and Sayla)

As for what happened to Sayla...

She pretty much just stops giving a fuck about politics. She's exhausted and pretty much goes into seclusion, though she seems to be pretty well off in general. Shes a few appearances in ZZ, but doesn't do much.

The real reason for Sayla's lack of involvement? Scheduling conflicts with her voice actress, and Tomino's unwillingness to recast the character. It's a shame. I would have liked for her to be in Char's Counterattack.

And now that her voice actress is dead, I don't see her ever being in another UC show again, unless the Origin anime actually happens. Her lack of involvement outside the original series makes it easy for her to be buried, unlike Bright.

The seiyuu really loved her safari trips in Africa. Perhaps a bit too much.

Sayla was a sorely missed character in Zeta, ZZ (barring some eps) and CCA.

I really would've loved to see her take on the EFSF/Titans with her elder bro in the AEUG, she is legitimately a damn good fighter pilot with the G Defender in the original MSG, pretty godlike in the final arc actually.
Unlike Fa lol.

CorvoSol

Sayla is in 1 episode of Zeta, too. When
Char is making that speech on the Earth.
She's briefly shown to be listening to it on like, a handheld tv.

Anyway I restarted G Gundam in Japanese because there is no reason not to do that. So good. Chibodee is somehow even better with his absurd gratuitous English.

Sayla is in 1 episode of Zeta, too. When
Char is making that speech on the Earth.
She's briefly shown to be listening to it on like, a handheld tv.

Anyway I restarted G Gundam in Japanese because there is no reason not to do that. So good. Chibodee is somehow even better with his absurd gratuitous English.

The Zeta appearance doesn't count because they didn't have the voice actress come into the studio.

Jube3

9058052858_4372a42e72_b.jpg

Decided to finally start working on this kit, which has been the toughest kit I've built so far. I got the lights working which is a big step for me so I am excited about that. Next up is I have to do the detail painting and the wash/panel lining, so quite a bit left to do.

EDIT: Updated it with a new image, got the wiring working and put it together. I still need to do some detail painting, the panel line/wash and then decals/top coat.

CorvoSol

Just wondering what people think about the english dub for Zeta Gundam?

I watched it in English, and while it wasn't Garzey's Wing, bad, I've been wondering ever since if the dub isn't half the reason I dislike Zeta.

Speaking of, I finished Double Zeta yesterday, so now I'm supposed to move on to Char's Counterattack, right? I rather enjoyed Double Zeta. It was a lot of fun, and while I thought Beecha and Mondo were pretty bad the whole way through, I kind of feel that ZZ's cast was better than Zeta's, because you didn't have morons like Katz or Sarah to worry about, and Fa was kept as far away from everything as possible. Plus ZZ had Roux, and she was pretty freaking great.

If I had to pick a weak point for the series, I'd say it was
Glemy Toto
. Three way stand offs just don't seem to work well in UC Gundam, and its even harder to do when the second villain is inevitably not equal to Haman in stage presence.

But I still liked the show a lot.

I'm neutral towards Glemy, but for some reason there is something that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth about
the way Roux blasted Glemy while he was outside his cockpit.

I love that scene though because of that. One of my favorite moments in the franchise. The music, the way the scene was animated. Just perfect.

And yeah, you probably hated Zeta mostly because of the bad dub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom