• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

BattleMonkey said:
I swear GAF is bizarro mecha land

The mechs being the least impressive part of Patlabor is bizarre? I thought that was, like, the consensus.

What I loved about Patlabor was the writing and Gotoh, not the labors.

Blader5489 said:
The mechs being the least impressive part of Patlabor is bizarre? I thought that was, like, the consensus.

What I loved about Patlabor was the writing and Gotoh, not the labors.

When Patlabor did action, it was fantastic. Calling it not exciting is ridiculous. It was more of a comedy of course and not full of action, but it didn't make the actual action in it suck.

1stStrike

Banned
Jexhius said:
Or just wisely avoid Zeta altogether.

Maybe Zeta II, but Zeta was pure sexual chocolate in anime form.

Also, it's a known fact that gundam died with
Amuro and Char.
Hasn't been the same since.

Blader

BattleMonkey said:
When Patlabor did action, it was fantastic. Calling it not exciting is ridiculous. It was more of a comedy of course and not full of action, but it didn't make the actual action in it suck.

Oh, I'm talking about the movies. I haven't seen the OVAs tv series, outside of a couple random eps here and there.

1stStrike said:
Maybe Zeta II, but Zeta was pure sexual chocolate in anime form.

Amuro and Char.

You're right. It's gotten better.

1stStrike said:
Amuro and Char.
domon%203.jpg

donkey show said:

While it was good, theres always been gundam fans who also act like it's not a "real" gundam show.

Leunam said:
Jesus, Gundam Unicorn is fucking expensive on Amazon. :(

Was expensive, and got more so after each disc going OOP so quick. The print runs for Unicorn seem to be pretty tiny.

Leunam

Was War in the Pocket any good? I vaguely remember the beginning of the first episode when the Zaku team attacks some arctic base and I only just now figured out what series it was from. Never watched the whole thing.

S. L.

Leunam said:
Was War in the Pocket any good? I vaguely remember the beginning of the first episode when the Zaku team attacks some arctic base and I only just now figured out what series it was from. Never watched the whole thing.
arguably the best gundam OAV

Blader

Leunam said:

It's unarguably one of the best things to come out of the franchise.

Averon

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-06-22/gundam-the-origin-manga-to-launch-anime-project

Gundam The Origin Manga to Launch Anime Project

The August issue of Kadokawa Shoten's Monthly Gundam Ace magazine is announcing on Saturday that Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin manga is launching an anime project. The manga is itself a re-imagining of Yoshiyuki Tomino and Sunrise's first Mobile Suit Gundam anime project by the anime's character designer. Yasuhiko is ending the manga in the same August issue.

duckroll

Mr. Pointy said:
There we go, we have a Gundam for the kids, two Gundams for the UC master race and nothing for the fujoshi.

Everybody wins.

No one wins. Sunrise is animating a manga adaptation of an anime. That's not winning. That's lulz exploitation.

duckroll said:
Sunrise is animating a manga adaptation of an anime.
Lastfm_Xzibit.jpg

But seriously, the best Gundam thing in a very long time is an adaptation of a novel.

And I've not really watched the original series, so this is probably the best way to introduce it to me - I don't think I could get into a 70's cartoon.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
No one wins. Sunrise is animating a manga adaptation of an anime. That's not winning. That's lulz exploitation.
Well to be fair, i wouldn't have minded a 0079 remake eg same story re-done with all new animation.. but it's definitely not something that you should get to excited for!

duckroll

Mr. Pointy said:
But seriously, the best Gundam thing in a very long time is an adaptation of a novel.

And I've not really watched the original series, so this is probably the best way to introduce it to me - I don't think I could get into a 70's cartoon.

Unicorn is only the best Gundam thing in a very long time because.... Gundam has been in such a state of shit for a very long time. And yes, I think that it will be great for people who cannot get into the 70s style animation. I just don't think it's any reason for long time fans to celebrate. It's just Sunrise continuing to be modern Sunrise.

Blader

duckroll said:
Unicorn is only the best Gundam thing in a very long time because.... Gundam has been in such a state of shit for a very long time. And yes, I think that it will be great for people who cannot get into the 70s style animation. I just don't think it's any reason for long time fans to celebrate. It's just Sunrise continuing to be modern Sunrise.

Unicorn is much better than most of the stuff from Gundam's "heyday" too.

Also: yay!

Jex

duckroll said:
I just don't think it's any reason for long time fans to celebrate. It's just Sunrise continuing to be modern Sunrise.
It's just Sunrise remaking Gundam 79 and not even hiding that fact!

Pollux

donkey show said:
Well played.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I actually enjoyed Wing. Sue me.

Have yet to see Turn A or Seed, and plan on starting Unicorn once amazon delivers it.

Pollux

Jexhius said:
It's just Sunrise remaking Gundam 79 and not even hiding that fact!
lol they're remaking the damn first series? I could get behind that if it had the animation of any of the newer gundams....

isny

napkin dispenser
zmoney said:
Well played.

I know I'm going to get bashed for this, but I actually enjoyed Wing. Sue me.

Have yet to see Turn A or Seed, and plan on starting Unicorn once amazon delivers it.

You aren't the only one who enjoyed Wing. Many people were introduced to Gundam through it.

Bebpo

Banned
Would rather have had a manga adaptation that wasn't already in anime form. There are several good original gundam manga out there :\

Blader

From what I know of it, there's more to Origin than just what was in the original series; it shows a lot of stuff from before the series starts (like the Battle of Loum, Zabi/Zeon political intrigue, Char's backstory, etc.).

Now that I think about it, I wonder if they're doing this to (potential Unicorn spoiler?)
introduce people to the real Char Aznable here, so they can reveal him as Full Frontal's true identity? When it sounded like they were going to change who FF is for the anime, I instantly thought of the real Char from Origin.

zmoney said:
lol they're remaking the damn first series? I could get behind that if it had the animation of any of the newer gundams....

It's not a 1:1 remake. Origin is a streamlined version of the series, with some things changed here and there, and peripheral characters and events more fleshed out.

Bebpo said:
Would rather have had a manga adaptation that wasn't already in anime form. There are several good original gundam manga out there :\

I've always been curious if they'd tone down all the wacky/silly shit in Crossbone if it were to be animated.

Jex

zmoney said:
I could get behind that if it had the animation of any of the newer gundams....
Like if the Gundam 00 team did it? But then it would be stiff and lifeless with inferior mechanical animation compared to the original movie trilogy.

Pollux

Blader5489 said:
It's not a 1:1 remake. Origin is a streamlined version of the series, with some things changed here and there, and peripheral characters and events more fleshed out.

This is a good thing as far as I'm concerned, and it will make the original series more accessible to those of us not in Japan, the movies were good but I would like to see the series, or at least this re-imagining of the series.

Blader

duckroll said:
Totally disagree. The animation is good, the story and characters... not so much.

The script lays on the exposition a little heavy a couple times, and Banagher is kind of underdeveloped as a protagonist so far, but by and large the story and characters run circles around Tomino's writing* and 0083. The UC world is such a rich setting and for once it's great to see a Gundam series actually take advantage of that, and integrate that mythology into the actual story, instead of using it as a thin backdrop for the same cut-and-paste teenage melodrama.

*excluding 0079 and possibly Turn A (which I have yet to finish)

Blader

The characters in Unicorn are actually cool, and do worthwhile shit, and don't annoy you to death every time they're on screen. Can't say the same for 90% of the people in Zeta, CCA, and Victory...and everyone in ZZ and 0083.

Blader

I'm not going to take the bait and just recap everything that's happened in the first 3 eps. I was just saying that Unicorn's characters are more interesting and far less idiotic to watch than the dipshits that populate a lot of Tomino's works; they actually contribute to moving the plot forward rather than constantly derailing it.

Of course, if you found the likes of Katz or Jerid or Four or Reccoa or Scirroco or the idiot kids from ZZ or the idiot Zeons from ZZ or Katejina or Nina or Kou or the evil-just-for-the-sake-of-being-evil Titans/Zanscares from Zeta/Victory or motherfucking Hathaway and Quess to be rich, compelling, well-written characters, and superior to Unicorn's...then more power to you.

Dambrosi

Banned
duckroll said:
Yawn. There are no characters in Unicorn, only silly plot devices. :p
You're a silly plot device. :p

Either way, I'm really enjoying Unicorn for what it is, and am really happy to hear that UC is getting another run on TV* through the Origin adaption. I was...perturbed, to say the least, when I heard about AGE, but it seems that Sunrise haven't totally abandoned their fanbase just yet.

And, as has already been said: nothing for the damnable fujoshi. Good. Pandering to them and their equally pathetic male counterparts (is there even a word for them?) did nothing but damage the franchise, and it appears that Sunrise finally understands this. In that light, I don't even mind if they want to turn the semi-annual AU Gundam into a new Yuusha brand for the kids. Remember - the likes of GaoGaiGar and ExKaiser were Yuusha series, too!

*This is assuming that the Origin adaption will be a TV series (the opportunity to re-introduce the international market to UC, no matter how slim, must be tempting, and I can't see that happening with an OVA series. A movie series, maybe, but that would need a wide theatrical release), and even if it's not, it'll be on my TV anyway, so the point still stands! :p

EDIT: Just watched the AGE trailer from a couple of pages back, and I can only say "...eh". That didn't impress me at all. In fact, I think I would have preferred a Yuusha Gundam series over this, and that's saying something.

Dambrosi

Banned
Just the picture of the pre-teen pilot in his powder-blue normal suit almost makes me want to puke. He looks so...ungainly.

And that is definitely the 00 mecha designer's work. I see elements of both the Gadessa/Garozzo (the arms and legs of the blue one) and Reborns Gundam (the V-fin), as well as Exia (the anorexic waste). It's 00 copy-pasta, not a single original thing about it.

Yup, this series looks like a big, fat...

halolz-dot-com-nope.avi.gif

Averon

Dambrosi said:
Just the picture of the pre-teen pilot in his powder-blue normal suit almost makes me want to puke. He looks so...ungainly.

And that is definitely the 00 mecha designer's work. I see elements of both the Gadessa/Garozzo (the arms and legs of the blue one) and Reborns Gundam (the V-fin), as well as Exia (the anorexic waste). It's 00 copy-pasta, not a single original thing about it.

Yup, this series looks like a big, fat...

halolz-dot-com-nope.avi.gif

It looks like the GN-X inspired the enemy grunt designs as well. The resemblance is certainly there.

1308869368956.jpg

so I finally watched zeta in it's entirety. Now I just have to watch zz and I have probably watch every major gundam series there is.

Zeta was fun I guess but I don't really see where all the love comes from. I really started to get tired of the characters towards the end. The writing and characters just seemed really spotty. Reccoas switch to the titans especially really made no sense to me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BudokaiMR2 said:
so I finally watched zeta in it's entirety. Now I just have to watch zz and I have probably watch every major gundam series there is.

Zeta was fun I guess but I don't really see where all the love comes from. I really started to get tired of the characters towards the end. The writing and characters just seemed really spotty. Reccoas switch to the titans especially really made no sense to me.

The characters and motivations aren't really suppose to make sense in zeta, you mostly watch it for the lulz, and there's plenty of lulz to be had in zeta gundam!

Plus best gundam designs in a gundam series, it wins points for that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
distantmantra said:
I've always been curious if they'd tone down all the wacky/silly shit in Crossbone if it were to be animated.
You take it all, or not at all. I would gladly have crossbone or a wild super gundam series over some of the series we've had in the past decade. At times, I wish that fanmade beast gundam concepts were real

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom