• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

BudokaiMR2 said:
so I finally watched zeta in it's entirety. Now I just have to watch zz and I have probably watch every major gundam series there is.

Zeta was fun I guess but I don't really see where all the love comes from. I really started to get tired of the characters towards the end. The writing and characters just seemed really spotty. Reccoas switch to the titans especially really made no sense to me.
If by really spotty you mean terrible then I'll have to agree. That's Zeta for you a beast that's still somehow regarded in a few circles as the best Gundam show.

Jexhius said:
If by really spotty you mean terrible then I'll have to agree. That's Zeta for you a beast that's still somehow regarded in a few circles as the best Gundam show.
Probably because it's part of the major universal century continuity. Going from the 3 gundam movies to Char's Counterattack is kinda jarring if you miss out on everything in between. But yeah I don't really know why people like Zeta, still have to watch ZZ.

I love Zeta Gundam with all of its cheese. It's just got a special place in my heart. I've always had love for Zeta and 08th, and pretty much never any of the other Gundam series.

Then again, most of them I haven't even given a fair chance, and Gundam is something I sort of grew out of well before the original Seed had even started. Lately I've been getting this weird itch to grow back into Gundam, maybe just because I liked building the models so damn much. Where should I start with regard to watching stuff, and why? It seems like every single Gundam series has plenty of people who see it as pure garbage, so it's difficult to find what's worth watching. I suppose I could just dive in. Turn A always looked interesting...

Blader

Jexhius said:

Probably for the same reason why I (still) like Wing so much: you watch it when you're younger, so nostalgia preserves the good and gets rid of the bad. I can't imagine that they're a lot of people who watch Zeta in their 20s or 30s and go "wow, what a masterpiece!" Or at least, I don't want to imagine...

Lafiel said:
Plus best gundam designs in a gundam series, it wins points for that.

Zeta and Hyaku Shiki are sexy indeed, but most of the others designs in Zeta are kinda ridiculous looking.

I think the best designs award goes to CCA and Unicorn.

Blader

Mk. II is cool, just kinda plain looking.

Prologue said:
any news on when a new gundam series will be released?

Gundam AGE premieres in October. Gundam Unicorn episode 4 hits sometime this fall.

And then there's Gundam: The Origin, though we don't know what format it's in or when it's being release.

Bebpo

Banned
The first half of Zeta kind of sucks because Camille is a little punk who deserves a beatdown every chance he gets. The 2nd half where he becomes a decent non-whiny lead is pretty awesome with lots of great characters, tons of subplots, nonstop Tomino insane random character changes, and some of the best mecha battles on film.

It also has lots of Quattro and Haman; aka the greatest male and female characters in Gundam history. The final battle between them in the colony laser...omg, probably the only thing better than that in all of gundam is final shooting from the end of 0079.

Blader5489 said:
Zeta and Hyaku Shiki are sexy indeed, but most of the others designs in Zeta are kinda ridiculous looking.

I think the best designs award goes to CCA and Unicorn.

Zeta has sooooo many great designs thanks to having THREE mecha designers (including NAGANO, king of mecha designs).

amx-004.jpg
pmx-003.jpg
pmx-001-weapons.jpg

rx-178-titans.jpg
nrx-055-2.jpg
msn-00100.jpg

msz-006.jpg
rx-139.jpg
mrx-009.jpg

Plus a whole ton of others and cool upgrades like MEGA BEAM CANNON. You just can't beat these. No other gundam has come close and no other gundam will.

Blader

Bebpo said:
lots of great characters

Lots of shitty characters too (KATZ!)

tons of subplots

Tons of shitty subplots. Why exactly did Tomino waste 5 of the final episodes on the Kamille's fake sister story?

nonstop Tomino insane random character changes

This is an argument for Zeta? :p

The final battle between them in the colony laser...omg, probably the only thing better than that in all of gundam is final shooting from the end of 0079.

The grand champion of Gundam fights is 08th Team vs Gouf Custom. Period.

also, the designs in Zeta strayed far too into the "super robot" realm imo. Just look at most of the pics you posted. Godzilla-sized Gundam that can fold into itself and float like that? Baund Doc which is shaped like an insect for no reason? Etc. It got away from the simpler, soldier grunt designs of 0079. I like the ones in CCA and Unicorn the best because they look badass, are more streamlined and don't look over-the-top, and have a very clear aesthetic lineage to them (e.g. Geara Dogas look like Zaku descendants, Rezels look like Zeta descendants, Delta Plus looks like Hyaku Shiki descendant, etc). A lot of the designs in Zeta just look kind of oddball, though nowhere near as weird as a lot of the suits in ZZ and Victory.

Blader5489 said:

A man after my own heart.

Zeta was worth it just to see all the bright slaps. Kamille really gets his ass beaten in half the episodes, especially in the early part of the series. The first half especially felt like Gundam mixed with a telemundo drama.

I guess the random Tomino character changes just killed it for me in the second half. I mean you have Reccoa dumping poison gas into colonies and her only excuse is "I AM LIVING TO FULLEST POTENTIAL AS A WOMEN!" or whatever the hell she was ranting.

I will agree on the mech designs. Hyaku-shiki was my favorite model as a kid, probably just because I sucked at painting and detailing and that one barely needed any! haha

Blader

duckroll said:
Huh? Where does it say that?

hmm, wait, is the first line in the second paragraph saying it's a TV anime remake or a remake of a tv anime?

Given your post, I'm guessing it's the second :lol

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blader5489 said:
hmm, wait, is the first line in the second paragraph saying it's a TV anime remake or a remake of a tv anime?

Given your post, I'm guessing it's the second :lol

Edit your post and hide away your shame!

Jex

Blader5489 said:
Probably for the same reason why I (still) like Wing so much: you watch it when you're younger, so nostalgia preserves the good and gets rid of the bad. I can't imagine that they're a lot of people who watch Zeta in their 20s or 30s and go "wow, what a masterpiece!" Or at least, I don't want to imagine...
Some do, I believe. Anything is possible.
Blader5489 said:
Well obviously!

Leunam

War in the Pocket came in from Amazon yesterday so I watched it all as soon as I got home. Really really enjoyed it, even if Al got a little annoying at times. That probably has more to do with how children in anime tend to act and not the character itself. Regardless, the action was good, the designs were great (really like that Kampfer), and I liked seeing Al's perspective of what these kinds of battles can do to people. I'm actually surprised he didn't lose anyone he knew in any of the battles, but then again, the Kampfer strike was at night. I haven't watched much Gundam (08th team, Wing, Endless Waltz, most of 0079, first episode of Unicorn, and now this) but this is definitely right up there with 08th team as my favorite.

I'll definitely need to pick up a Kampfer kit soon.

BudokaiMR2 said:
so I finally watched zeta in it's entirety. Now I just have to watch zz and I have probably watch every major gundam series there is.

Zeta was fun I guess but I don't really see where all the love comes from. I really started to get tired of the characters towards the end. The writing and characters just seemed really spotty. Reccoas switch to the titans especially really made no sense to me.

Tomino is an overrated hack and has some of the most random characters possible in everything he does. Seriously awful romances and everyone seems to be bipolar.

Zeta is probably the best Gundam TV series, though really all the Gundam TV series in general are not really good, most of them are really pretty crappy with some just being better than others at things. Even Turn A which some act like it's some kind of masterpiece is full of Tominos awful cliches and characters.

The best Gundam productions have been some of the OVAs.

As much as I love Gundam, I can't really say any of it is particularly "good".

Blader

hteng said:
mamoru nagano's re-design for Zeta Gundam. That's the Gundam Mark II.

edit: ok i guess that's a hyaku shiki judging by the kanji on the shoulder.

That's no Hyaku Shiki! For one thing, where are its legs? :lol

Blader

It's not much of anything, but proof that Unicorn ep. 4 does exist!

dakar.jpg

Battle of Dakar

And a production sketch!

production_sketch.jpg

Apparently one of the animation directors quit because of how hard this episode is.

MCD

Nothing beats 00 season 1 and the movie designs (mostly just 00 QANT).

Elegant, sporty and sexy. DAT EXIA.

Blader

MCD said:
Nothing beats 00 season 1 and the movie designs (mostly just 00 QANT).

Elegant, sporty and sexy. DAT EXIA.

Hell yeah! The Flags are the best grunt designs since the Zaku/Geara line.

Blader

Over the past week I've resumed watching Turn A Gundam, after stalling on it a year or so ago.

Anyway, I'm *really* starting to get into it. Started off slow, but now that I have a grip on who everyone is the plot has actually gotten off the ground a bit, I'm just burning through one episode after another. It's surprisingly well-written and well-directed for a post-0079 Tomino Gundam, with a great cast of characters...and likable, fleshed out female characters?! What madness.

Anyway, Turn A is the last Gundam series I have left to watch and I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

Jex

BattleMonkey said:
Even Turn A which some act like it's some kind of masterpiece is full of Tominos awful cliches and characters.
I know it's been said before, but that doesn't mean I won't say it again:

∀ Gundam >>>>>>>>G Gundam>>>>>> Zeta Gundam> the other TV shows. OVA's are clearly a different kettle of fish though.

Snaku

Banned
HammerOfThor said:
Nice, every part of me wants a Bluray announcement!

I'm still waiting for a goddamn Blu-ray release of 00. It kills me that I can download a better product than what Bandai America released.

mintylurb

BattleMonkey said:
Tomino is an overrated hack and has some of the most random characters possible in everything he does. Seriously awful romances and everyone seems to be bipolar.

-snip-

The best Gundam productions have been some of the OVAs.
We all know why..;)

Snaku said:
I'm still waiting for a goddamn Blu-ray release of 00. It kills me that I can download a better product than what Bandai America released.

Thats why I have yet to pick up the DVDs :(

Also, I WANT THE ZETA MOVIES!!!!!!!! Come'on Bandai!!

duckroll

isny said:
Anyone better at Japanese able to tell me what this set includes? (Besides the OVA?)

Also, is it remastered?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B004OYUFYO/

It's just a DVD box containing all the 3 OVA episodes, as well as the 4 Operation Meteor Odd & Even episodes (they're basically recap episodes summarizing the TV series from the perspectives of the different leads), and clean ending animations. Doesn't say anything about being remastered, does not include the movie version.

isny

napkin dispenser
duckroll said:
It's just a DVD box containing all the 3 OVA episodes, as well as the 4 Operation Meteor Odd & Even episodes (they're basically recap episodes summarizing the TV series from the perspectives of the different leads), and clean ending animations. Doesn't say anything about being remastered, does not include the movie version.

Thanks for that. Too bad they dropped the ball and didn't include anything new. I'd be tempted to spend the money to import if it was remastered or had a book or something. It would go well with my remastered GW DVD box set.

duckroll

isny said:
Thanks for that. Too bad they dropped the ball and didn't include anything new. I'd be tempted to spend the money to import if it was remastered or had a book or something. It would go well with my remastered GW DVD box set.

It has liner notes, but it doesn't say that it's anything special, so I'm going to assume that it's just whatever booklets they had on the previous release. The box art is new, that's about it.

Hey,

anyone know the best places to buy Gundam models? the new Optimus Prime Model kit gave me the urge to build a Gundam model! I havent build one in ages!

Also, anyone have an recommendations for some badass ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom