• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

glaurung

Hey GAF Gundam aficionados!

I need a bit of help identifying a mobile suit:

unkngun.jpg

It could be that it is a complete custom build or maybe a compilation of various model parts. What I am interested in is the torso and the leg units: do those seem familiar to anyone?

Kagari said:
Yeah... Bandai will probably not bring these over to the west either... I'm really irritated with them right now.

You? I'm still holding out hope for a boxset release of 00 season 1. A man can dream....

Deadly

glaurung said:
Hey GAF Gundam aficionados!

I need a bit of help identifying a mobile suit:

unkngun.jpg

It could be that it is a complete custom build or maybe a compilation of various model parts. What I am interested in is the torso and the leg units: do those seem familiar to anyone?
I think it's the AMF-101 DINN from Gundam Seed.

Deadly

glaurung said:
Thank you so much!

The weird head coloring made me think this was a custom built model, but it was just a weird color scheme.
I think the DINN has a bunch of variants though, it could be one of them.
EDIT:I checked, just seems like a custom color scheme.

Kagari said:
That ship has long sailed. You're lucky to get the 00 movie. :|
But the movie is supposed to be terrible. Haven't watched it.

I also heard that Eden of the East movies were terrible as well. It's a real shame when something good/decent goes down hill like that.

Blader

Jexhius said:
How far are you through ∀ Gundam now?

Almost halfway through, just watched the
Dianna does a hospital's laundry
ep this morning, it was not terribly exciting. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, so thanks to putting nearly 200 hours into DWG2 and 3 combined (and of course I'm still playing 3), I'm seriously interested in actually watching Gundam. What would be the best way to watch the original series, the series itself or the movies? And also, what would be the easiest/cheapest way to get them?

Seraphis Cain said:
Okay, so thanks to putting nearly 200 hours into DWG2 and 3 combined (and of course I'm still playing 3), I'm seriously interested in actually watching Gundam. What would be the best way to watch the original series, the series itself or the movies? And also, what would be the easiest/cheapest way to get them?
The movies are the best. Shorter, more concise, better animation, and useless junk like G-Armor got completely cut out. Followed by Zeta gundam, then Double Zeta and then Char's Counter Attack for majority of the UC timeline.

Edit: Just looked and apparently you can find some DVDs on amazon.

Also according to the people that like Zeta, you should watch the TV series and not the movies. Although I didn't enjoy it much you kind of want to watch just to fill in all the gaps as to what happens after 0079 and apparently lots of story/plot from Unicorn references double zeta.

Edit2: Although if you do watch the movies and you do miss out on the sillines of G-Armor, beam javeline, and hyper hammer you will be somewhat confused. Because that stuff does come up in video games and other media about gundam. It's not really relevant and you just have to know that if you don't know where the hell some of that stuff came from then its probably from some extrenious material you don't know about or haven't watched.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
Almost halfway through, just watched the
Dianna does a hospital's laundry
ep this morning, it was not terribly exciting. :lol
∀ Gundam kind of has a thing for small scale mundane things, plus giant robots. Oh, and character development.

Not to get all deep into the show or anything but it seems that Tomino kind of had a thing for showing all the other things a Gundam might do then fight. Such as carry cattle, help dry clothes, or even engage in bit of clothes washing! It's kind of awesome, in a low-key way.

Jexhius said:
∀ Gundam kind of has a thing for small scale mundane things, plus giant robots. Oh, and character development.

Not to get all deep into the show or anything but it seems that Tomino kind of had a thing for showing all the other things a Gundam might do then fight. Such as carry cattle, help dry clothes, or even engage in bit of clothes washing! It's kind of awesome, in a low-key way.
Well the spirit of the show was entirely different from everything that he has done previously

Wikipedia said:
Turn A Gundam was the last Gundam TV anime to be directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino, who was the main creator of the Gundam franchise and had written and directed many previous Gundam works. This series was made after Tomino had recovered from his depression that had influenced Mobile Suit Victory Gundam, and the general tone and mood of Turn A Gundam is much more hopeful and less dark than his other Gundam series.

Dares

So if I've only ever seen random episodes of various series of Gundam, where do I start? Is there is any sort of viewing order or something?
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm moving to the Tokyo area soon and would like to get into this. Thanks.

ultron87

I finally got to watch the first episode of Unicorn. That animation is freaking ace. I adore that first battle with the Kshatriya and the random federation suits. The great soundtrack makes it even better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24Ea_mJ5hzE

Dares said:
So if I've only ever seen random episodes of various series of Gundam, where do I start? Is there is any sort of viewing order or something?
Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I'm moving to the Tokyo area soon and would like to get into this. Thanks.

I'd go with the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. It's the original series compressed down to 3 movies. It's pretty enjoyable and a great introduction to the franchise.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BI77MW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nope. I refuse to buy that movie. Bandai should bring over better Gundam content already available on bluray.

Kagari said:
Nope. I refuse to buy that movie. Bandai should bring over better Gundam content already available on bluray.

Way to fail.

I'm buying it mostly to let Bandai know that Gundam is a viable property on Blu-ray in North America. Regardless of quality, if this doesn't sell well, it probably won't give Bandai Ent. much hope for releasing older Gundam shows/films.

Dynedom

Kagari said:

The 00 movie was a piece of garbage and I would never drop a dime on it.

Snaku

Banned
Kagari said:

Maybe movie sales will encourage them to bring over 00 season one on Blu?

Nix

Banned
Did anyone find the movie and second season of 00 gundam, to be a huge downgrade from the first season?

Was it the budget?

Also, Gundam Wing is still the best gundam. Fuck Aznable.

Snaku said:

Oh how I wish. I haven't bought anything Gundam related in ages now that I think about it. I passed on the Unicorn blu ray when I was at the store.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nix said:
Did anyone find the movie and second season of 00 gundam, to be a huge downgrade from the first season?

Was it the budget?

Also, Gundam Wing is still the best gundam. Fuck Aznable.

brightpunch.jpg

Blader

Nix said:

Was it the budget?

That's hardly a minority opinion.

I think there may have been a budget cut for S2 (though they simply shifted resources from focusing on MS designs to focusing on battle animation), but the main reasons for the story difference in S2 are:

a) Sunrise splitting up what was originally intended as a 50-episode series into two 25-episode seasons (and iirc, the ideas for S2 were originally going to be the last 13ish episodes of the series, which would mean half of that season was invented much later)

b) Fans complaining endlessly about S1, how was it too boring, too different, "this isn't my Gundam!", etc. which was discouraging for Mizushima and co., and prompted whoever (Mizushima, Kuroda, Sunrise, I don't really know) to include some more traditional Gundam tropes into the second season (masked Graham, A-LAWS being a Titans copycat, etc.)

Kagari said:

The only other Gundam series on Bluray that hasn't been released here is Zeta
and 00 is much better than that

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blader5489 said:
The only other Gundam series on Bluray that hasn't been released here is Zeta
and 00 is much better than that

Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91... soon to be Gundam W Endless Waltz and 0083 compilation movie.

Blader

Kagari said:
Zeta, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, F91... soon to be Gundam W Endless Waltz and 0083 compilation movie.

Endless Waltz on blu? Drool worthy.

I forgot ZZ was on bluray...or maybe I just wanted to forget.

I'm sure the reason why we've yet to see the older films hit Blu-ray in North America is 75% Bandai Visual (JP) afraid of reverse importation, and 25% Bandai Ent. (USA) just not giving a fuck.

Ryuukan

I need some advice on my chronological Gundam journey.

I loved Zeta and ZZ, CCA was alright. War in the Pocket made me sad that I didn't watch it years ago when I had the chance.

Stardust Memory and F91 I both enjoyed as well. I struggled through Victory and its ridiculous toy Gundams because I actually had to see what happened to
that crazy bitch Katejina, she got what she deserved.

So now I have left the UC to watch G Gundam. I know its a well-loved show here on GAF, but its not really hooking me yet. I'm at episode 13 now and all I can see is that Domon is a jerk and Rain is a doormat. Will it get any better?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ryuukan said:

I loved Zeta and ZZ, CCA was alright. War in the Pocket made me sad that I didn't watch it years ago when I had the chance.

Stardust Memory and F91 I both enjoyed as well. I struggled through Victory and its ridiculous toy Gundams because I actually had to see what happened to

So now I have left the UC to watch G Gundam. I know its a well-loved show here on GAF, but its not really hooking me yet. I'm at episode 13 now and all I can see is that Domon is a jerk and Rain is a doormat. Will it get any better?

Don't forget Best Gundam (08th MS Team)!

isny

napkin dispenser
Snaku said:

Bandai really has already dropped the ball with this though. I waited for 00 to finish, waited for Bandai to release it all on DVD, and assumed after that we'd get a BR release. It never came, so I had to watch the bluray through other means as Bandai is refusing to sell it.

In this day and age, it's not alright to just release something on BR years after another region. If it's not within the first six months after another region, people have already imported or downloaded it.

Ryuukan

isny said:
...In this day and age, it's not alright to just release something on BR years after another region. If it's not within the first six months after another region, people have already imported or downloaded it.

Six months is way too long. One month is pushing it. Even if dubbing is a necessity, with today's technology and an abundance of cheap voice actors, the process should not delay a release more than a couple weeks. If they could release Gundam Unicorn BRs worldwide, they can do it with any series.

isny

napkin dispenser
Ryuukan said:
Six months is way too long. One month is pushing it. Even if dubbing is a necessity, with today's technology and an abundance of cheap voice actors, the process should not delay a release more than a couple weeks. If they could release Gundam Unicorn BRs worldwide, they can do it with any series.

Yup, this. You can't say that me setting my personal expectations at six months before just going through another avenue for the content is me being impatient. (When, as you mention, companies can turn this stuff around in a month or two) If they don't want to sell it to me, I'll find another way to watch/buy it.

PhiLonius

Ryuukan said:

G Gundam gets good. Got to stick with it though

Ryuukan said:

It's all about reverse importation fears by the Japanese license holders. This is why Gundam Unicorn is priced like a Japanese import title and not a standard North American release.

distantmantra said:
61VCVaaAgVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Anyone pick this up yet? Bandai shipped my copy yesterday, so it should be here tomorrow or Friday.

Saw the dubbed version at AX (was the BD copy with dual language, but Bandai/Sunrise wanted to premiere the dub), got my screener BD copy from Bandai. Visuals were very clean and bright, CG use wasn't too bad, sound is amazing.

Ryuukan

distantmantra said:
It's all about reverse importation fears by the Japanese license holders. This is why Gundam Unicorn is priced like a Japanese import title and not a standard North American release.

Which is a ridiculous argument given shipping costs overseas and the fact that the North American license holder is fully-owned by Bandai.

Dynedom

I'd consider getting ZZ if they can retcon the first like half of that series out of existence. I know the Zeta movies completely retconned the entire series but I didn't mind the second half at all.

Ryuukan said:
Which is a ridiculous argument given shipping costs overseas and the fact that the North American license holder is fully-owned by Bandai.

Bandai Entertainment USA has to negotiate with Bandai Visual/Sunrise for everything, they're not just given it cause they're related. I'm not saying that it's right, just that it's part of their reasoning which drives all of us nuts.

Blader

Ryuukan said:

G Gundam is not UC.

Also, it absolutely gets better, it's one of the best series in the whole franchise. I think episode 13 is right around when they go to Japan? If so, that's when things start really start heating up.

HammerOfThor said:
So what was the big Bandai announcement at Anime Expo?

Nothing really, just that Turn A will be released in the US this fall.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Blader5489 said:
G Gundam is not UC.

Also, it absolutely gets better, it's one of the best series in the whole franchise. I think episode 13 is right around when they go to Japan? If so, that's when things start really start heating up.

Nothing really, just that Turn A will be released in the US this fall.

That's what he's saying. "I have left the UC". Meaning he's not watching UC now.

beat

http://www.mechadamashii.com/news/news-gundam-the-origin-anime-announced/

Apologies for the lack of updates as of late. In any case, along with Level 5′s Gundam AGE on the way it seems that the Gundam The Origin manga penned by the artistic luminary that is Yoshikazu Yasuhiko will also be animated. The Origin manga is an interesting choice as it's not overly popular in Japan (compared to the Crossbone Gundam manga) but it does fill a fan based desire when it comes to re-animating the original series and movies. Narratively, The Origin deviates from the original series in lots of interesting ways and the designs themselves are a bit different too.
I was sad that the American distributor for the manga quit translating the series. It really opened my eyes to how awesome Yas is. (I subsequently almost bought his Joan of Arc series despite not caring at all about the story just because it was three volumes of colour Yas artwork... kinda feel stupid I didn't now.)

edit... d'oh, saw it a couple of pages back now.

MechaX

Hm... I decided to purchase the 00 movie since I don't think I have ever seen it all the way through.

... This movie is actually pretty boring. And even the battle scenes are not all that because the ELS are essentially swarms of missiles for the most part.

Also, what was the reception on Gundam X? I was thinking about watching that next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom