• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

distantmantra said:
I liked it, but most Japanese also found it boring and uneven, seeing how it was moved to a 6am Sunday airing and canceled early.

Well, part of that unevenness is because of the cancellation. :p

Dead

well not really...yet
MechaX said:
Also, what was the reception on Gundam X? I was thinking about watching that next.
Cool mech designs, awesome OP songs, show itself is ok at best.

Mid-tier Gundam.

Blader

I'm getting further into Turn A (just past ep. 30 now), and it's definitely Tomino's best Gundam since the original, but there's still plenty of his weird faults/mannerisms in it. Like,
Sochie's would-be husband was vaporized at the heart of a nuclear explosion...and nobody cares? Hardly anyone ever mentioned Gavane after that, and Sochie's ONLY reaction was to put on her wedding dress and shout about how beautiful it looked. Wtf?

There have been a couple other weird bits like that, but this one really stuck out like a sore thumb, particularly because Turn A's characters are, by and large, better written and more coherent than most of Tomino's characters. It's also nice to see that Tomino got over whatever it was about women he hated, because Dianna/Kihel is awesome.

Also: Harry Ord is a boss.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
MechaX said:
Also, what was the reception on Gundam X? I was thinking about watching that next.
Worst of the new universes in the 90's. Probably had the best concept and does a few things interesting with it, but most of it was laughable with the ending being one last joke on the viewer.

Blader

shintoki said:
Worst of the new universes in the 90's. Probably had the best concept and does a few things interesting with it, but most of it was laughable with the ending being one last joke on the viewer.

I agree with this, and I'd actually call it the worst AU period outside of SEED. Interesting setting and I liked how the show's spin on Newtypes, but it was just so dull: flat characters, shitty villains, overly drawn out stories, forgettable music outside of the OPs, ugly MS designs (outside of the GX; everything else looked like a UC/Wing reject), and, worst of all, extremely boring battles where the same shit happened over and over and over again.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
I'm getting further into Turn A (just past ep. 30 now), and it's definitely Tomino's best Gundam since the original, but there's still plenty of his weird faults/mannerisms in it. Like,
Sochie's would-be husband was vaporized at the heart of a nuclear explosion...and nobody cares? Hardly anyone ever mentioned Gavane after that, and Sochie's ONLY reaction was to put on her wedding dress and shout about how beautiful it looked. Wtf?
Weirdly, I get the feeling that Tomino thought he HAD addressed that sufficiently, like, in his mind, one episode that dealt with that topic was enough. Largely because, decades of shows later, I still don't know if he understands what 'normal' pacing is. Also Sochie clearly has her eyes on someone else anyway...

Blader

Jexhius said:
Weirdly, I get the feeling that Tomino thought he HAD addressed that sufficiently, like, in his mind, one episode that dealt with that topic was enough. Largely because, decades of shows later, I still don't know if he understands what 'normal' pacing is. Also Sochie clearly has her eyes on someone else anyway...

But that's the thing, it wasn't even one episode; it was one scene in one episode a couple episodes after it had already happened. And it's not just Sochie, but nobody seemed to care about, hardly anyone even mentioned it afterward. Hell, it didn't seem like Tomino cared either,
in the episode in question, we don't even see Gavane die; the last shot of him is minutes before the explosion actually happens, and it was so undramatic that I wasn't even sure anyone had actually died
:lol

But no, it's definitely clear that Tomino has no idea what normal pacing is. 0079 was clearly just a fluke in that regard. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Unicorn episode 4.

episode4.jpg

Still need to watch 3 yet...

Sqorgar

Banned
Apologies if this has already been talked about, but is there any news on US releases for the Gundam shows we don't have yet? I seem to remember hearing that the original Gundam would be coming out here with the original dub, as well as Turn A, but that was years ago.

Need some input from the Gundam vets around here. I'm new to Gundam and my first Gundam series I've seen was Gundam 00 (that I actually enjoyed). What direction should I go in now? Should I start watching Unicorn or go a check out some of the older series?

Zapages

Triple Oceans said:
Need some input from the Gundam vets around here. I'm new to Gundam and my first Gundam series I've seen was Gundam 00 (that I actually enjoyed). What direction should I go in now? Should I start watching Unicorn or go a check out some of the older series?

For UC:
3 Mobile Suit Gundam Movies
Zeta Gundam
ZZ Gundam (mostly the second half of the show)
Char's Counter Attack Movie
---
Then watch the following OVAs
08th MS Team
0080 War in a Pocket
0083 Stardust Memories

Unicorn can be watched after Char's Counter attack movie or after OVAs

Expanded UC: Take place way after the Amuro/Char Saga of the
F91 Gundam
Victory Gundam

Alternative Universe:
Gundam Wing - this is the one most of us grew up on when watching Toonami back in the early 2000s.
Gundam Seed - copy of Original Gundam, second half of Seed is good. Destiny is terrible, but music is good.
G Gundam - is good if you like super robot wars or Dragon Ball Z type of situation/tournament.
Gundam X - I haven't seen, I heard its good. The intro has good music lol

Turn A Gundam - Technically AU, but has aspects of UC - last Tomino (Creator of Gundam) Gundam series. Really good, but very story/character driven.

Ryuukan

Zapages said:
Unicorn Gundam - Technically AU, but has aspects of UC - last Tomino (Creator of Gundam) Gundam series. Really good, but very story/character driven.

Unicorn is UC and Tomino is not involved with it.

Zapages said:
For UC:
3 Mobile Suit Gundam Movies
Zeta Gundam
ZZ Gundam (mostly the second half of the show)
Char's Counter Attack Movie
---
Then watch the following OVAs
08th MS Team
0080 War in a Pocket
0083 Stardust Memories

Unicorn can be watched after Char's Counter attack movie or after OVAs

Expanded UC: Take place way after the Amuro/Char Saga of the
F91 Gundam
Victory Gundam

Alternative Universe:
Gundam Wing - this is the one most of us grew up on when watching Toonami back in the early 2000s.
Gundam Seed - copy of Original Gundam, second half of Seed is good. Destiny is terrible, but music is good.
G Gundam - is good if you like super robot wars or Dragon Ball Z type of situation/tournament.
Gundam X - I haven't seen, I heard its good. The intro has good music lol

Turn A Gundam - Technically AU, but has aspects of UC - last Tomino (Creator of Gundam) Gundam series. Really good, but very story/character driven.

WOW! That's pretty exhaustive! Will do what I can to follow in order.

I think watching 0083 at any point in time after the three gundam movies is perfectly fine. It follows a rather standard federation vs zeon plot and doesn't really play into the over reaching UC plot line. Also the mobile suits and mobile armors are insanely powerful and over the top compared to any other UC series.

S. L.

technically 0083 is the bridge from 0079 to zeta, but it breaks with technological consistency and isn't a very good oav to begin with.

but if you watnt to watch it it's better after or during zeta i guess so you can pick up some of the more subtle references towards zeta

Jex

Technically, 0083 is an ungodly abomination and no one should be subjected to it.

Also, I don't recommend watching nearly every work in the franchise.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Technically, 0083 is an ungodly abomination and no one should be subjected to it.

Oh boy. And they thought my comments about Unicorn were controversial! Lolz.

Ryuukan

You'll appreciate
the bad ending of
0083 more if you watch at least Zeta first.

Jexhius said:

Yes, skip the G Gundam nonsense.

G Gundam is great. I can see some one not liking it if they have something against super robot shows or shows about how loud the main character can yell. But it's a bit much to tell some one to skip out on it.

Jex

Ryuukan said:
Don't troll the Gundam thread :(
Having opinions and mentioning them isn't trolling, it's just stating one particular view point.
Lostconfused said:
G Gundam is great. I can see some one not liking it if they have something against super robot shows or shows about how loud the main character can yell. But it's a bit much to tell some one to skip out on it.
Some people straight up dislike the Super Robo formula in which case I can see why they'd skip it. Also, it takes a while to get going and has lots of less-than-great episodes.

But that's true for nearly every long running Gundam show.

ACESmkII

Sad to see 0083 get so much hate.

Maybe I just have bad taste but I actually really enjoyed it. The mecha designs and the animation for the time blew me away. I like both openings on the soundtrack as well.

ACESmkII said:
Sad to see 0083 get so much hate.

Maybe I just have bad taste but I actually really enjoyed it. The mecha designs and the animation for the time blew me away. I like both openings on the soundtrack as well.

The mecha designs and the animation are great. The opening songs are total cheese, but great. The plot? Not so great.

0083 is great eye candy, not much else.

Quick

Banned
I asked the same question in the stupid questions thread, but I figured I'd get a response here:

I used to assemble Gundams as a kid without using glue, and having just gotten into it again, I'm beginning to think I've been doing it wrong all this time. So I wonder: is using glue absolutely necessary?

S. L.

Quick said:
I asked the same question in the stupid questions thread, but I figured I'd get a response here:

I used to assemble Gundams as a kid without using glue, and having just gotten into it again, I'm beginning to think I've been doing it wrong all this time. So I wonder: is using glue absolutely necessary?
for the bandai ones 100% not necessary.
if you want to do it 'right' you paint(airbrush) them.

New information on AGE.

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE Character Voice Actors:
Flit Asuno: Yuuko Sanpei
Asem Asuno: Yuka Nishigaki
Kio Asuno: Komatsu Mikako
Gundam AGE: Hiroshi Kamiya
Emily Armond: Minako Kotobuki
Ace Now: Yuuki Kaji
Grudech Aynor: Hiroki Touchi
Miles Aloi: Kitanishi Junko

A bit of new info for the upcoming Gundam AGE series. The list of voice actors are confirmed. But what is interesting here is that Gundam AGE is also voiced. And there were rumors going around that the Gundam in the series can talk... Perhaps it is like 'J.A.R.V.I.S.', the personal artificial intelligence computer program for Tony Stark (Iron Man movies), which assisted him to construct & maintain the function of the Iron Man suit. Or perhaps, Gundam AGE will be a sentient computerized being to be sort of like a teacher for the main protagonists. Hardcore Gundam fans might already have a gripe with the idea of a talking Gundam.
But not to worry... Level-5 boss Akihiro Hino addressed chatter that Gundam mechas will talk in MS Gundam AGE, calling it a "misunderstanding" that the mecha can speak. According Hino, the series will be kid friendly, but won't deviate from traditional Gundam conventions. So no talking giant mechas!
The Akihiro Hino penned Gundam Age anime debuts this fall as Level-5 is working on an Age title.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's the onboard computer system within the Gundam.

duckroll said:
I'm sure it'll surprise the hell out of people! Lol.
You don't find the generational concept at all appealing? I don't see why "aimed at a younger audience" should be an automatic turn-off. Digimon Tamers was ostensibly aimed at a younger audience and look at how that turned out.

duckroll

shadyspace said:
You don't find the generational concept at all appealing? I don't see why "aimed at a younger audience" should be an automatic turn-off. Digimon Tamers was ostensibly aimed at a younger audience and look at how that turned out.

It's written and conceived by Hino. He has written over a dozen stories, and none of them are ever any good. At best they're so over the top and stupid that it's entertaining to lol at it, at worse they're dreadfully boring and feature poorly written characters and boring narratives. There is no hope for Gundam AGE. It has nothing to do with being aimed at kids. Lots of kids shows can be fun and good, if they're well-written. Being developed by Level 5 means there's no hope for that though.

duckroll said:
It's written and conceived by Hino. He has written over a dozen stories, and none of them are ever any good. At best they're so over the top and stupid that it's entertaining to lol at it, at worse they're dreadfully boring and feature poorly written characters and boring narratives. There is no hope for Gundam AGE. It has nothing to do with being aimed at kids. Lots of kids shows can be fun and good, if they're well-written. Being developed by Level 5 means there's no hope for that though.
I admittedly do not have much experience with Level 5 beyond knowing they're a rising JRPG studio. Don't people like the stories in the Layton games? Would you mind elaborating a bit on some of his work and their flaws?

duckroll

shadyspace said:
I admittedly do not have much experience with Level 5 beyond knowing they're a rising JRPG studio. Don't people like the stories in the Layton games? Would you mind elaborating a bit on some of his work and their flaws?

The main problem I have with what Hino and Level 5 does, is that they are studio which is absolutely after manufactured success. Clearly they know what they're doing, and are very good with market research, because most of their works are very successful.

The storytelling technique they apply is usually a mix of a relatively good high concept idea which is formed by bringing together popular mainstream elements which have not previously been exploited in a large scale way before, and a cast of generic characters which don't really have much going for them other than their surface value. This generally results in a scenario which feels a lot more boring than it should, because there are often many set pieces, and lots of "exciting" events, but there is no reason to care for any of the characters or get really involved with what's going on.

The Layton games are probably the best storytelling Level 5 has ever done, but I wouldn't really classify it as good either. I enjoy the games, because the puzzles are fun, and the scenario is just so over the top and ridiculous that it is basically self-parody after the first game. Each game relies on a central mystery which is presented to the a player as an implausible mystery which probably has a more rational explanation - much like a Sherlock Holmes case. The hilarious part is that the major plot twist in every single game is that the explanation for the mystery is often even MORE implausible and ridiculous than the presented mystery itself. They're fun for what they are, as puzzle games with silly characters and a silly story, but I certainly wouldn't watch them as a series or movies on their own. There's actually a Layton anime movie out, I still haven't watched it because without a game behind it.... who cares.

With their other franchises like Inazuma Eleven and Little Battlers Xperience, they made it very clear from the start that they're conceived as mass cross media packages meant to appeal to young audiences and make as much money as possible. In terms of concept, they certainly hit all the right notes, but for the actual characters and story, everything is just bland.

Gundam Age looks like it follows this exact same formula, and honestly, after seeing how Level 5 stuff are all created from the start to run for as long as possible and have as many sequels as possible, I really can't see the "generational story" as anything other than possible "run this for 50 episodes x3" marketing card.

isny

napkin dispenser
0079 is being released in the Anime Legends line. Finally time for me to get to watch it =D

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/1jPqOgtNd4l19eC=YP/browse/item/92629/4/0/0

I also wanted to mention I've decided to sell off some of my DVD/BR collection, which includes the Gundam Wing Remastered DVD box set I've mentioned I have once or twice. If any of you are interested, shoot me a PM and we can work something out. Ebay link is here. (I also have a Gundam Seed signed poster up for auction, just look at my other listings at the link to check it out if you're into that sort of thing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom