• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divvy said:
I don't really get the hate for SEED. It was enjoyable to watch and had some half-decent suit designs. Destiny was what fucked it up.
I for one hated the designs, both Mitsuo Fukuda's characters (not only did they look overly "anime"-like with the exaggerated eyes and noses, but they were all so plain and looked like the same person but with a different wig) and the mobile suit designs. Calamity was the only gundam that stood out to me in SEED.

Plus it was almost literally a copy pasta of MSG, scene for scene, act by act, and character by character (even for a franchise which heavily draws upon itself like Gundam, SEED went so ridiculously far with the "inspirations" that it basically is a digital remake of MSG).

PhiLonius

Divvy said:
I don't really get the hate for SEED. It was enjoyable to watch and had some half-decent suit designs. Destiny was what fucked it up.

I actually like SEED. But yeah, Destiny, while it had a few good moments, had quite a few problems...

Eh... I will say that the schwert gewehr was badass. Exia still tops every gundam ever made, IMO. Aesthetically beautiful and was awesome in how it was perfectly designed for close combat.

isny

napkin dispenser
Blackheim said:
Oh good, was about to hunt for this thread :p I ordered a Unicorn wallet last week, won't have it until Nov. 12th or so since I put it in the same order with a pre-order that won't be out until later. I'll post pics in the pick up thread on gaming side once I have it...

Wonder if they sell this sort of thing at the Bandai museum? Going to be there in a weekish and looking forward to burning a hole in my current wallet on Gundam merch in the store there.

(The only Gundam merch I've bought so far in my week in Japan has been the Gundam Ramen, which I believe is no longer for sale)

Etrian Oddity said:
Plus it was almost literally a copy pasta of MSG, scene for scene, act by act, and character by character (even for a franchise which heavily draws upon itself like Gundam, SEED went so ridiculously far with the "inspirations" that it basically is a digital remake of MSG).
Please jog my memory because I dont remember SEED dedicating a whole episode for salt.

Blader

donkey show said:
If they just ended the series where Strike and Aegis blew up, I'd be fine with that.

The show would have been a lot more interesting had Kira died then and Athrun became the lead.

B.K.

Etrian Oddity said:

Wasn't that the point? When SEED was first announced, didn't Sunrise say that it was supposed to be a reimagining of Mobile Suit Gundam?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Etrian Oddity said:
I for one hated the designs, both Mitsuo Fukuda's characters (not only did they look overly "anime"-like with the exaggerated eyes and noses, but they were all so plain and looked like the same person but with a different wig) and the mobile suit designs. Calamity was the only gundam that stood out to me in SEED.

But that was the point. It was supposed to be MSG remade for a new generation.

Eh... I will say that the schwert gewehr was badass. Exia still tops every gundam ever made, IMO. Aesthetically beautiful and was awesome in how it was perfectly designed for close combat.

Yeah, Exia was fantastic. Most definitely the best starter gundam of any of the series.

Blackheim

isny said:
Wonder if they sell this sort of thing at the Bandai museum? Going to be there in a weekish and looking forward to burning a hole in my current wallet on Gundam merch in the store there.

(The only Gundam merch I've bought so far in my week in Japan has been the Gundam Ramen, which I believe is no longer for sale)

I have no idea, I don't see why they wouldn't have some sort of gift shop that might carry a bunch of stuff like that. Maybe someone here has been there and could let you know...

I'm expecting it to get here by Fri/Sat hopefully.

mingus

Best thing to come out of SEED/DESTINY imo was the Astray series. If Bandai made models for all the variants I would buy all of them. ALL OF THEM.

Divvy

And some of you said 00's suit designs were bad:

YGebR.jpg

Also, lol:

GRU1f.jpg

Shouta

Etrian Oddity said:

Correction Hisashi Hirai is the character designer. Fukuda is the director.

mingus said:
Best thing to come out of SEED/DESTINY imo was the Astray series. If Bandai made models for all the variants I would buy all of them. ALL OF THEM.

The Astray series was garbage, such awful contrived stuff. It just had tons of awesome mecha though. Destiny and Deltra Astray series were particularly bad

duckroll

BattleMonkey said:
The Astray series was garbage, such awful contrived stuff. It just had tons of awesome mecha though. Destiny and Deltra Astray series were particularly bad

Hater of fun. I bet you dislike G-Gundam too!

duckroll said:
Hater of fun. I bet you dislike G-Gundam too!

Awful dialogue, horrible story telling, contrived situations to fit shit into the show timeline "oh hey look how cool, we were in the background of that one scene from the TV show again!". X Astray was pretty much the only decent one and largely because it did it's own thing. The Astray series just got worse with each title.

Anyone excited about From Software's upcoming Gundam Unicorn game?

From makes decent mecha games, right? I remember hearing good things about Chromehounds.

Divvy

_dementia said:

From makes decent mecha games, right? I remember hearing good things about Chromehounds.

Armored Core For Answer was pretty much how I wanted a gundam game to play. If only they had a bigger budget then, but it looks like they don't have that kind of problem anymore. I'm looking forward to AC5, but it looks to to be moving away from the fast paced action of AC4 and more towards slower Mechwarriory gameplay like in chromehounds.

duckroll

_dementia said:

It's being made by their ACE team. The ACE games they've shat out this generation generally sucked balls.

PhiLonius said:
Finally caught up with AGE. Kind of liking this so far, but that AGE builder thing seems like it might be a bit too powerful.

I'm really enjoying AGE. Flit lacks the whiny-mopey "war is bad!" mentality of some past lead pilots. The kid wants to fight and be a soldier.

PhiLonius

There's a lot going on (Grodek, the two kids/people in cloaks, UE) that keeps it very interesting and with the exception of Emily and Dique, no really annoying characters.

Plus the mobile suit designs are starting to grow on me.

Divvy

That girl is so annoying though. Why does a ship captain have to answer to a 10?-year old girl? Also this show is annoying with it's "children are important!" thing it's got going on. This evil kid looks like he's 4.

Divvy said:
That girl is so annoying though. Why does a ship captain have to answer to a 10?-year old girl? Also this show is annoying with it's "children are important!" thing it's got going on. This evil kid looks like he's 4.

Children have always been important in Gundam. This isn't anything new.

hteng

Banned
Divvy said:

50% of the show's action sequences were copypasta and jesus Kira is just a horrible character overall. Destiny was the nail to the coffin.

isny

napkin dispenser
Etrian Oddity said:
Excited for Unicorn 4444444444444444444444444444444!

It's playing in theatres nearby...so tempted to go watch and just ignore the fact I won't understand 80% of the dialogue.

Dambrosi

Banned
S. L. said:
The Tieren is pretty much the only good design that came out of 00
That and Exia (and perhaps Taozi as well, though its colours hold it back) looked so out of place next to all the other crappy mecha designs in that show. The Ground Type in particular looked as if it had walked in from a Ryosuke Takahashi (VOTOMS, Dougram) anime.

And in Season 2, it was much worse. Mind you, Season 2 was much worse.

Though there's a lot of people who liked Flags, I wasn't one of them. Thing looked like it would blow away in a stiff breeze.

Blader

Liking all the love for Gundam Sexia. Definitely one of my fav lead Gundams.

1stStrike said:
How much longer until unicorn 4? I can't take the wait.

PSN release is tomorrow, blu-ray is December 2.

1stStrike

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Liking all the love for Gundam Sexia. Definitely one of my fav lead Gundams.

PSN release is tomorrow, blu-ray is December 2.

Gah! I can't use the video store on my PS3 cause my old one that I sold is still linked to it. I'll have to wait till December, I guess.

PhiLonius said:

Too many attachments. It ruins the pure pristine goodness of the gundam model, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom