• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Gundam Unicorn Ep4

I was pretty lukewarm on Gundam in the previous two episodes, but holy shit it's impossible to be lukewarm about ep4. As a long time Gundam fan, it's really amazing to think that it took twenty fucking years for Sunrise to finally animate Gundam war sequences which are remotely even close to being on par with the stuff they did in 0080 and 0083. Holy fuck that mecha animation was amazing. So many different suits, so much detail, so many awesome scenes of "minor" warfare. SO SATISFYING.

It pains me to know that they will probably never do something like this ever again. :(

Blader

duckroll said:
Gundam Unicorn Ep4

I was pretty lukewarm on Gundam in the previous two episodes, but holy shit it's impossible to be lukewarm about ep4. As a long time Gundam fan, it's really amazing to think that it took twenty fucking years for Sunrise to finally animate Gundam war sequences which are remotely even close to being on par with the stuff they did in 0080 and 0083. Holy fuck that mecha animation was amazing. So many different suits, so much detail, so many awesome scenes of "minor" warfare. SO SATISFYING.

It pains me to know that they will probably never do something like this ever again. :(

08th MS Team?

Zoramon089 said:
What...the animation in that was incredible and definitely as good if not better than in 0083 and 0080

The battles outside of the finale with the Gouf Custom just were not that exciting and often of the smaller scale. The more grounded combat also wasn't as exciting as lot of space stuff from 0083 which was incredibly detailed and dynamic. The animation was shinier and newer, but not as detailed as that seen in 0083 and 0030. 08th MS Team still was good, but I would say 0080 and 0083 were nicer in the art/animation.

Blader

The animation in 08th is definitely leagues beyond 0080 (and the action in 0080 isn't even all that exciting; it's choreographed like something out of Patlabor, which is great in its own right, but a completely beast altogether). But I'd agree that 0083 probably surpasses it in terms of animation. Even still, the warfare you see animated in 08th was imo the benchmark before Unicorn; the action in 0083 was pretty forgettable.

MechaX

Blader5489 said:
It's actually
the Gray Phantom, the ship from 0080.

Ah. But how in the world did it end up getting there of all places?

Unless this is something that happened in that 0081 game, did the Gray Phantom even really see combat on Earth? The only other White Base ship was that Blanc Rival from that Zeon PS2 game and that thing got wrecked before it even launched.

Blader5489 said:
So apparently the Byalant pilot is just some ex-Titan. Not Kou.
maybe it's Yazan?!
:lol

That's no fun at all.
What the fuck has Yazan been doing? I'm pretty sure that he didn't actually die in ZZ.

MechaX said:
Ah. But how in the world did it end up getting there of all places?

Unless this is something that happened in that 0081 game, did the Gray Phantom even really see combat on Earth? The only other White Base ship was that Blanc Rival from that Zeon PS2 game and that thing got wrecked before it even launched.

MSG Battlefield Record UC 0081 features the Thoroughbred, a Pegasus class carrier which first showed up in the Side Story portion of Encounters in Space on the PS2.

You know before Unicorn I was lamenting the transition from hand drawn to traced CG robots in Gundam (mainly in 00) but Unicorn has made me realize that with months per episode and a huge budget that's really the way to go

edit: Oh and Rebuild too, although I'd say Unicorn > Rebuild in terms of animation

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Just saw Episode 4. That was pretty freaking awesome. Too much blah blah talking, but the fights were some of the best I've ever seen. I can see why it took so long to make this one.

I goddamn hate Bannagher so much

Hero

Gundam Unicorn Episode 4 was so good. A lot of talking but it paid off in the end. The animation was so beautiful.

Jex

Blader5489 said:
The animation in 08th is definitely leagues beyond 0080 (and the action in 0080 isn't even all that exciting; it's choreographed like something out of Patlabor, which is great in its own right, but a completely beast altogether). But I'd agree that 0083 probably surpasses it in terms of animation. Even still, the warfare you see animated in 08th was imo the benchmark before Unicorn; the action in 0083 was pretty forgettable.
Sir, this is crazy talk!

1stStrike

Banned
Hero said:
Gundam Unicorn Episode 4 was so good. A lot of talking but it paid off in the end. The animation was so beautiful.

Agreed! I finally got the chance to squeeze in time to watch this episode tonight and man was it glorious. I even almost teared up in the desert scene. I can't wait for episode 5... sometime in 2012. *sighs*

hteng

Banned
love the grounded battles and variety, there are small skirmishes everywhere and it shows each sides taking massive casualties.

i mean compare to SEED's laser spammage or 00 movie's missile spammage, this is what Gundam should be about. well thought out fight scenes, great use of set pieces and environment.

mobile suits should feel like there are some weight to their actions.

Blader

Zoramon089 said:
Banagher is Shiro from 08th MS Team, right? And Daguza is Batou from GiTS?

Yep. Steve Staley was also Seabook in the F91 dub.

1stStrike said:
Agreed! I finally got the chance to squeeze in time to watch this episode tonight and man was it glorious. I even almost teared up in the desert scene. I can't wait for episode 5... sometime in 2012. *sighs*

Ep. 5 was announced for May.

You know, even though we didn't get to know him all that long, I thought
Kirks'
death was really sad.
"Loni...don't end up like the rest of us!"
;_;

Mrcapcom

Was it just me or did it seem like Links voice was different?
Or was it all the man crying he did lol

Episode 4 was pretty awesome even though it was pretty chatty it was still good. I enjoyed seeing the gruts fighting as well the animations were on point.

Ending was awesome with Banshee they got the Kshatriya pilot to operate it right?

I definitely enjoyed this I forgot abotu episode 3 I thought we was still trying to save Links from the colony im like how the heck he get on this planet lol gotta marathon the rest.

Blader

Mrcapcom said:
Ending was awesome with Banshee they got the Kshatriya pilot to operate it right?

Yep.

I definitely enjoyed this I forgot abotu episode 3 I thought we was still trying to save Links from the colony im like how the heck he get on this planet lol gotta marathon the rest.

At the end of ep. 3, the Unicorn is last seen falling through the atmosphere.
In 4, someone mentions that the Unicorn grappled onto the ship to survive reentry.

54-46!

FUCK.. I can't find my Metal Composite Fix Figuration Unicorn box with all accessories, if someone threw it away I'm gonna kill a man.

54-46! said:
FUCK.. I can't find my Metal Composite Fix Figuration Unicorn box with all accessories, if someone threw it away I'm gonna kill a man.
Oh lordy, that's a lot of cash down the drain if it was chucked. =(

PhiLonius

Just finished Episode 4. Amazing.

The battles were great, especially
the scene with Kirk dying and all the Shamblo destruction
. That Byalant pilot was just wrecking shit and having not read the novels I wasn't expecting
the black Unicorn at the end

PhiLonius

CaptYamato said:
Watched AGE 4 & 5. I'm not getting the hate.

I'm liking it so far and am most interested in the eventual transition between the different generations. Wondering how they are going to handle that.

Mrcapcom

CaptYamato said:
Watched AGE 4 & 5. I'm not getting the hate.

Yea same here I just saw I think episode six the one where they are in the colony and the fight breaks out etc. Thought it was a great episode I read places where people just nitpick at the show saying how it was impossible for the Dr. Wily looking guy to bring Flint the Gundam that quick in the Truck im like WTF?

Series is really nice Its Gundam can't mess that up unless there are no Gundams in the story lol

Wazzim

Banned
The cliffhanger in EP4 of Unicorn is making me rage lol (did not read the manga)
Amazing quality, something only a series like Gundam can do on the anime front.

Totakeke

Why can't all anime be at least awesome like this ep4

Also, that soundtrack.

What exactly was implied when it said the Marcenas family is a mirror of the Vist foundation? Are they against or with Vist?

Hey, there's still no spoiler tag function.

Blader

Why can't all anime be at least awesome like this ep4

Also, that soundtrack.

What exactly was implied when it said the Marcenas family is a mirror of the Vist foundation? Are they against or with Vist?

Hey, there's still no spoiler tag function.

They're both ruling families in the UC, and both are tied together by the Laplace bombing at the beginning of the century.

Blader

But that should be public knowledge, no? I'm assuming Riddhe was talking about something deeper.

I don't think it's public knowledge that Banagher's great-grandfather was part of the terrorist group that bombed Laplace.

also, what PhiLonius said.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This kind of thing always happens but still Riddhe sucks. >.< 4 eps in and Banagher is still crying and whining? Sheesh! Also I did not see that cliffhanger coming wtf! btw What was that one feddie mobile suit that was tearing crap up? It was was pretty awesome looking.

How big or thick is the MSG release box? I can't find a shot of it from the side. Mayyyybe considering getting it to replace my singles.

LProtag

This kind of thing always happens but still Riddhe sucks. >.< 4 eps in and Banagher is still crying and whining? Sheesh! Also I did not see that cliffhanger coming wtf! btw What was that one feddie mobile suit that was tearing crap up? It was was pretty awesome looking.

How big or thick is the MSG release box? I can't find a shot of it from the side. Mayyyybe considering getting it to replace my singles.

Banagher went full newtype in this episode. All the best newtypes totally break down and throw massive fits about war and having to kill. See: Amuro and Kamille.

Makes even more sense for Banagher since the Unicorn is supposed to respond to the pilot's desires, though Zeta served a similar function.

Just finished Episode 4. Amazing.

The battles were great, especially
the scene with Kirk dying and all the Shamblo destruction
. That Byalant pilot was just wrecking shit and having not read the novels I wasn't expecting
the black Unicorn at the end
Yeah, the Byalant was badass... I love how this series is making mere, faceless grunts into heroic martyrs. And what was the
sniper suit that Kirk used?
I'm extremely unfamiliar with UC mobile suits past 0080.

Also, dat soundtrack.

I fucking love this series...best Gundam IP ever.

hteng

Banned
still can't get over how banagher can't seem to save anyone in this series.

i mean he has a gundam that deflect beams, an i-field shield, he could have overloaded his psychoframe and block that blast from the Shamlo, not to mentioned it was weaken at the last few seconds.

Blackheim

--------AHHH Spoilers spoilers don't look since I won't be watching this until it comes out on blu-ray!--------

It looks to be roughly the same size as a standard DVD keepcase, you can kinda get an idea of the size from this picture:
H1Oh4.jpg

B.K.

It looks to be roughly the same size as a standard DVD keepcase, you can kinda get an idea of the size from this picture:
H1Oh4.jpg

How's the video on that set? Is it the same video as the old release or is it the remastered versions from the Japanese DVDs?

Blackheim

How's the video on that set? Is it the same video as the old release or is it the remastered versions from the Japanese DVDs?

Ooooh, that's not my picture :p I'm waiting to see if it gets a Blu-ray release (who says a man can't dream??) It's from here!

According to a review on Amazon:
Snippet said:
The video is based on the 2007 Japanese R2 DVD's and the result is fantastic, this is the best the show has ever looked here in America. While the animation may turn some people off, it ultimately pays off and specific scenes like anytime Amuro and Char fight each other look amazing.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Banagher went full newtype in this episode. All the best newtypes totally break down and throw massive fits about war and having to kill. See: Amuro and Kamille.

Makes even more sense for Banagher since the Unicorn is supposed to respond to the pilot's desires, though Zeta served a similar function.

I get that but isn't Unicorn only supposed to be 6 eps? That he's not over it by the halfway point kinda makes him seem like a late bloomer. I still think he's alright though.

Ooo thanks for that! Two of those would take up much less space than 10 singles! Someday when I have money they shall be mine!

hteng

Banned
I actually kinda like this. :lol Saves him from going down the Jesus Yamato path.

it's Jesus Kira
but since this is a pretty short series (6 episodes total?) there is not enough room for variety. I'm all for situations that he can't do anything about, but in this scenario he clearly has all the tools on his side and yet he does nothing (other than talk and scream alot).

man i think the later episodes are going to be even sadder if they follow through with the novels.

edit: oh Kira's sirname was Yamato lol

Blader

it's Jesus Kira
but since this is a pretty short series (6 episodes total?) there is not enough room for variety. I'm all for situations that he can't do anything about, but in this scenario he clearly has all the tools on his side and yet he does nothing (other than talk and scream alot).

Well
it's not like he wasn't going to take the killshot at the end. The reason he stopped himself was because Loni actually surrendered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom