• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam ZZ Moon-Moon Arc

I didn't get this arc at all. Why would a space colony, who presumably had been up there since the 2000s or so, revert back to some bizarre Aztec-style culture? This "ancient South American-style culture meets Gundam" thing worked a bit better in Turn A, but it was stupid there too.

Thank God it was only two episodes.

I assumed that it was some kind of post-catastrophe culture or something. They had some weird religion/cult of personality going on with the Moon sisters, and the whole Followers of Light thing was so vague that it could be applied to anything, which would make it mighty convenient for people in a position of power to guide the colonists in any direction they wanted. I mean, there's maybe one guy who looks over 30, and he JUST happens to be some kind of high priest? I didn't buy it, so I figured most of the adults all got killed off in one of the earlier wars, and the survivors just developed a culture/philosophy that was similar to the Aztecs' - putting themselves in charge, of course. And the people who grew up in this culture eked out a living by figuring out what works in the colony and what doesn't, while using their beliefs to gloss over the cognitive dissonance between using advanced technology and worshiping a really basic religion.

Or something.

That said, there's no actual proof of anything like that going on, so it's just a WTF arc. And my guess at what caused the colony to be that way is far too fanfic-ish for my tastes, so I poo-poo those two episodes just like anyone else. Tomino probably just wanted to play Cowboys and Indians again like in Xabungle.

And, well... episode 14 did start out with Emary informing Bright that the Argama needed more food and supplies. So technically it started out with the main crew needing to stock up on supplies.

Just like the salt episode in the original series.

Between 0079, Zeta and Double Zeta, I've come to believe that any episode in any show in this franchise that involves using resupplies to take a break from the main plot ends up being mostly fluff.

He's probably one of the more practical, reasonable Gundam protags to date.

Except when the time finally comes, when it's the big moment of truth the kid wimps out. Grodek has to step in and do what needs to be done. Flit was overshadowed by Woolf and Grodek for his entire arc, I would think that makes him a somewhat poor protagonist.

Except when the time finally comes, when it's the big moment of truth the kid wimps out. Grodek has to step in and do what needs to be done. Flit was overshadowed by Woolf and Grodek for his entire arc, I would think that makes him a somewhat poor protagonist.

But then you see a mentally fractured Flit who is bent on killing all the Vegans. I'm sure that PTSD will resurface itself.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I still think he'll turn into the AGE equivalent of
Bask Om/Jamitov Hymem
. Could be a fun twist.

That would be pretty great, but this series has consistently played it safe so he'll probably just realize that revenge is bad and being a good father to Asemu is super special awesome.

Blader

What was this?

And for sure Grodek and Woolf are cooler characters than young Flit, but I still think Flit--especially in Gen 2--is a stronger character than most Gundam protags.

What was this?
The end of the first generation. When they finally reached the Vegan commander Flit couldn't pull the trigger. So Grodek had to do it. But Grodek being himself, he also emotionally traumatized a little kid and left him to die in an exploding space station to top it off.

51kYUir-tcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1611720052/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Finally getting a reprint. Only $10 at Amazon instead of the insane prices for used copies of the 2004 printing.

The novels are very different from the TV series/movies. Whole thing takes place in space and focuses way more on Newtypes. Many of the characters are incredibly different as well.

Well I think they'd be more successful if these kids weren't morons. I swear that was like the third time that kid of distracted in the middle of a fight and had to have someone else bail him out.

On that point, it was pretty hilarious how Flit said Asemu could've knocked out 4 more suits if he paid more attention. Daddy be watching mang.

It also makes me wonder if he did some magic to his MS since he was able to keep up the fight despite the suit's age,

In the episode where Asemu gets the AGE 2, someone mentions the AGE 1 is being sent to Big Ring for usage without the AGE system. I'm guessing Flit did some tweaking, on top of the fact it was already upgraded when Asemu first used it, according to the old mechanic.

Divvy

On that point, it was pretty hilarious how Flit said Asemu could've knocked out 4 more suits if he paid more attention. Daddy be watching mang.

That part was great. Cold hearted Flit is best Flit.

In the episode where Asemu gets the AGE 2, someone mentions the AGE 1 is being sent to Big Ring for usage without the AGE system. I'm guessing Flit did some tweaking, on top of the fact it was already upgraded when Asemu first used it, according to the old mechanic.

The AGE's head's lights were yellow instead of turqoise. I believe Bandai has already announced a new AGE1 MG with the yellow stickers lol.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Speaking of models, please tell me Bandai produced an official "Zaku Zeta" like the one Lino used in episode 12 of ZZ. I would pay for that, haha.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm really confused how Double Zeta works sometimes...like, the episode I just watched, Judau, Lino, and Milly combined into Double Zeta, yet then Judau goes off in the entire ZZ to rescue Leina, but then it also mentions how Lino and Milly returned to the Argama...presumably in the Core Top and Base.

Maybe it's just a plot hole, because there's a few other points where I notice Gundam ZZ somehow out while the Core machines are also on screen. :/

Droog

Speaking of models, please tell me Bandai produced an official "Zaku Zeta" like the one Lino used in episode 12 of ZZ. I would pay for that, haha.

I just stuck a MG Zaku head on my MG Zeta Gundam, was very easy. (What makes it easier is when you can order the parts you need directly from Bandai)

The Extended MSIA Zeta does actually come with a Zaku head out of the box though.

PhiLonius

I'm really confused how Double Zeta works sometimes...like, the episode I just watched, Judau, Lino, and Milly combined into Double Zeta, yet then Judau goes off in the entire ZZ to rescue Leina, but then it also mentions how Lino and Milly returned to the Argama...presumably in the Core Top and Base.

Maybe it's just a plot hole, because there's a few other points where I notice Gundam ZZ somehow out while the Core machines are also on screen. :/

The core fighters (minus the cockpit I believe) just carry the parts and can be separated from the rest of the actual suit I believe. If I remember correctly.

Also, with ZZ, more so than some other Gundam shows, there are a few moments/things you've got to just roll with lol. Especially towards the end.

BearChair

I need some help with my Gundam order.

I tried contacting HLJ's customer service, but it was not able to answer my question. HLJ says on its site that customs forms might be necessary if you are ordering paint products, but it does not say any more than that. I contacted asking them if custom forms were necessary for Gundam markers, and its customer service person could not answer my question.

Have any of you ordered Gundam markers from Japan? and if so did you have to fill out any customs forms?

Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but I haven't ordered anything from Japan since 9/11, and I've heard security is much tighter. I don't want to screw up my order and not get it shipped to me.

I need some help with my Gundam order.

I tried contacting HLJ's customer service, but it was not able to answer my question. HLJ says on its site that customs forms might be necessary if you are ordering paint products, but it does not say any more than that. I contacted asking them if custom forms were necessary for Gundam markers, and its customer service person could not answer my question.

Have any of you ordered Gundam markers from Japan? and if so did you have to fill out any customs forms?

Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but I haven't ordered anything from Japan since 9/11, and I've heard security is much tighter. I don't want to screw up my order and not get it shipped to me.

I've never had any problems ordering items from Japan pre- or post-9/11. The Gundam Markers might be considered flammable, seeing how they're tiny pressurized paint sticks.

Watch Da Birdie

The core fighters (minus the cockpit I believe) just carry the parts and can be separated from the rest of the actual suit I believe. If I remember correctly.

Also, with ZZ, more so than some other Gundam shows, there are a few moments/things you've got to just roll with lol. Especially towards the end.

Yeah, haha. Another point of confusion is how easy it is for Beecha/Mondo to just walk into the Axis dock and get a hold of the Gundam ZZ, even though in the previous episode they open fired on Gottn and co.

Besides that though, I really enjoy Gundam ZZ...probably my favorite set of characters in any Gundam show. I can't think of one character I've seen who I dislike as a character, even Fa, Shinta, and Qum are more tolerable. And Judau's an awesome protagonist, I think I like him better than Loran even.

glaurung

As part of my Gundam Extreme VS. hype I finally decided to pick these up.

kitpickup.png

Can't wait to start working on them!
Wow, congratulations, those are seriously bad-ass.

You should also take a picture of these boxes next to a house or car, then people would realize how ridiculously big those are.

I prefer the slimmer MGs myself, finishing up QANT now and waiting for my Duel to clear customs.

NEO0MJ

Wow, congratulations, those are seriously bad-ass.

You should also take a picture of these boxes next to a house or car, then people would realize how ridiculously big those are.

I prefer the slimmer MGs myself, finishing up QANT now and waiting for my Duel to clear customs.

Now that you mention it, maybe I should have placed my copy of Gundam Extreme VS. between them to show just how huge they are.

And nice choice going with the Duel. Was gonna pick it up myself but decided not to due to time and money constraints. Will pick it up later.

Yeah, haha. Another point of confusion is how easy it is for Beecha/Mondo to just walk into the Axis dock and get a hold of the Gundam ZZ, even though in the previous episode they open fired on Gottn and co.

Besides that though, I really enjoy Gundam ZZ...probably my favorite set of characters in any Gundam show. I can't think of one character I've seen who I dislike as a character, even Fa, Shinta, and Qum are more tolerable. And Judau's an awesome protagonist, I think I like him better than Loran even.

Your getting to the better parts of ZZ also. It has alot of shaky aspects but yea it has a fun cast and Judau is one of the better main Gundam pilots who is not constantly whining about teenage angst nonsense.

Watch Da Birdie

I'm halfway through Gundam ZZ and, yeah, it's beginning to pick up...Judau's meeting with Harman, characters dying
Gottn. :(
, Beecha growing out of his comedic role a bit and becoming cool, etc. And now Karaba's popping up.

Main characters? None.

Well, Woolf, Mu La Flaga, Bright and Sleggar are older, but I don't know if you'd consider them to be mains on the same level as Amuro, Flit, etc.
Bright is only 20 at the start of MSG. So he is younger than Flit for quiet a large portion of universal century.
Walking in and taking it is the most common and accept method of acquiring a mobile suit in the Gundam universe. I mean once some one is inside the cockpit it's far too late to stop them.

Watch Da Birdie

Bright is only 20 at the start of MSG. So he is younger than Flit for quiet a large portion of universal century.

Walking in and taking it is the most common and accept method of acquiring a mobile suit in the Gundam universe. I mean once some one is inside the cockpit it's far too late to stop them.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Bright is even younger than that. He's only 19 according to Gundam Wiki, and by Gundam Unicorn he's only 36. He certainly looks, and acts, older than that though, even in MSG. But I guess that's because of his military upbringing.

And yeah, you have a point there! I remember in Zeta literally every episode someone stole a suit from the dock.

Divvy

I must say, the art in the Gundam Wing Endless Waltz - the Glory of Losers manga is quite fantastic. All the gundams are rendered with a lot of care.

So I'm up to Eps 21 of Gundam Wing. Were the colonies always this stupid? Do all you need is a pretty attractive woman to convince people?

Is Gundam Wing basically romanticized Gundam?

blind51de

Banned
Having never watched Wing that's the only conclusion I managed to come up with.

Wing is... shoujo Gundam. In contrast to the overwhelmingly shounen G which was more like an unrelated super robot show that just happened to feature Gundams.
The politics are interesting but won't frustrate you as much as SEED. I'd take Relena over Lacus anytime.

Most of the people who do like Wing watched it when they were younger, sad to say. I'm in that group.

And if you look at it in hindsight, the world gets destroyed by war years after every Gundam series no matter what happens. See Turn A.

Watch Da Birdie

And if you look at it in hindsight, the world gets destroyed by war years after every Gundam series no matter what happens. See Turn A.

I STILL don't get how Wing, G, and X figure into Turn A. :/

Like, have they ever explained the alternate universes merging with the UC to end up with the Turn A "singular" universe?

Is Gundam Wing basically romanticized Gundam?
Pretty much.

It's pretty weird because the show has, like, no humor whatsoever and no one ever smiles, like Zeta, but barely anyone important dies and it doesn't focus that much on the horrors of war by examining individual deaths, but instead focuses on countless robots and colonies being blown the fuck up. It's basically a light-hearted version of Zeta...but still with Zeta's depressing atmosphere. I think that's fitting since it's basically the AU equivalent of Zeta, in a way. The titular mechs are even similar.

The middle part SUCKS, though, just to warn you. It picks up once the Gundam Pilots join up together and Zero stops being passed around.

Tallgeese is the fucking king.
Cheers to that. While the Gundams themselves are alright (Heavy Arms rocks, but I find the others a bit so-so), the bad guys get the cool mechs.

The middle part SUCKS, though, just to warn you. It picks up once the Gundam Pilots join up together and Zero stops being passed around.
Oh I've seen Gundam Wing many times before. I just haven't seen it in a while. I actually think most of the middle (heading back to space up until end of Sanc Kingdom) is the best part of the show. It's diffidently has the most going on.

But yeah pretty much everything else you said is pretty true.

Watch Da Birdie

The thing that still bugs me about Wing is that Trowa was unknowingly in a relationship with his sister. :/

Anyway...

Gundam ZZ 32
The scene at the end with Judau and Beecha was nice, I really like the Gundam Team in ZZ, especially after Zeta where everyone seemed like they hated each other. I'm glad Bright's mellowed out too, since I felt he became stern to the point of parody in Zeta. It always kind of bugged me how the "Bright Slap" became a meme, because I don't think Tomino intended it to be an admirable trait. :0

Oh, and Glemy. I love how they set him up as a possible future ally of Judau and a nice-guy, because it made the reveal in this episode much more powerful.

Blader

I STILL don't get how Wing, G, and X figure into Turn A. :/

Like, have they ever explained the alternate universes merging with the UC to end up with the Turn A "singular" universe?

There's never been an "official" explanation, though seems like anytime it is brought up, it's only mentioned as being the far future of just UC.

If you did want to fanwank them all into one timeline, I think UC > X > Wing > G works best.

I really like the middle part of Wing personally. Thought the first 20 episodes were, by and large, damn near unwatchable (and I say that as a Wing fan). It only really gets interesting imo when the pilots return to space and end up
being abandoned by their own colonies
edit: what Rahxephon said

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom