• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
There's never been an "official" explanation, though seems like anytime it is brought up, it's only mentioned as being the far future of just UC.

If you did want to fanwank them all into one timeline, I think UC > X > Wing > G works best.

I don't know, that seems to imply that the world has reset multiple times already since in Wing they specifically state that the Tallgeese was the first mobile suit. And then you have the fact that each reset resulted in history moving the exact same way up and having the same countries formed.

And after three flawed attempts at creating peaceful space colonies, they achieved success through turning Earth into an MMA Ring and creating a colony shaped like a sombrero.

There's never been an "official" explanation, though seems like anytime it is brought up, it's only mentioned as being the far future of just UC.

The Gundam Official UC Wisdom 0079-0083 encyclopedia refers to Black History as being just that. I've got the book and in the front is this little section called Correct Century, A Bibliographical Study of Black History:

The 2001 Correct Century, A Bibliographical Study of "Black History", printed in black pages in front of the Universal Century Gundam Officials Encyclopedia, is supposedly uncovered by a fictional Lecturer in Black History named Yokk Wakk Onimott during Correct Century 1993. Onimott spends two years to fix the broken pages, five years to interpret the language, and a year to find a publisher. He states that the book was first printed around 3,000 years ago by the Rhea branch of the Earth Federation Government University. Included in the book is a picture drawn by Kunio Okawara showing a mobile suit supposed to be MS-04 as a S.U.I.T. project of the Zeon forces in UC0072~0075. It supposedly was found in 1993 Correct Century in the mountain cycle Library A-a. The white page introduction by another fictional writer, Minaka Junkers, an economy assistant professor of the Rhea branch of the Earth Federation Government University, states the book was published in UC0100 to celebrate the Centennial anniversary of the Universal Century. Thus it is officially claimed that the Universal Century is a time before Correct Century, possibly around 3,000 years before the story of Turn A begins

However, Turn A Gundam wasn't even supposed to be a Gundam show originally, but got shoehorned into one for the 20th Anniversary. For all we know Tomino just threw in the Gundam references to fuck with people. I wouldn't put it past him.

Blader

I don't know, that seems to imply that the world has reset multiple times already since in Wing they specifically state that the Tallgeese was the first mobile suit. And then you have the fact that each reset resulted in history moving the exact same way up and having the same countries formed.

But it wouldn't be like all of human history occurring over and over again.

As I see it, the fanwank timeline goes like this:

UC happens. Then have the 7th Space War, which wipes out everything. X happens. Decades or centuries of rebuilding later we get Wing (with the Tallgeese being the first MS of that era), and Wing ends with peace plus the first attempts at colonizing Mars. Then we get G's backstory, which is that Earth's resources are exhausted; people start taking up national identities again (so the colonies become increasingly nationalistic-looking). The Gundam Fight is started as an alternative to more war. G happens; by that time, people are living at Mars and Jupiter. Nanotech leads to creation of DG Cells (which were used in building the Turn X/Turn A). Colonies start leaving Earth to explore deep space. Then we get Turn A's backstory, which ends with Turn A destroying all tech from Earth to Jupiter.

/fanwank

51kYUir-tcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1611720052/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Finally getting a reprint. Only $10 at Amazon instead of the insane prices for used copies of the 2004 printing.
Interesting. So basically pure, unadulterated Tomino? AnimeGAF has led me to believe that would be a very bad thing. Well, it's only $10.

Watch Da Birdie

Gundam ZZ: Dublin Arc

Wow, I think this was my favorite Gundam Arc yet, at least among the UC. The return of Kamille, Fa, Psyco Gundam, Hayato...

The ending scene where it cuts to a quiet shot of the colony falling apart was pretty powerful. :0 That and seeing Psyco Gundam emerge with its skeleton showing.

Beth Cyra

And after three flawed attempts at creating peaceful space colonies, they achieved success through turning Earth into an MMA Ring and creating a colony shaped like a sombrero.

Well if we ignore how bad/good the new story/timeline structure of AC/Mars Era's the Glory of The Defeated/Frozen Teardrop could actually fit in alot easier with the CC then Anime Wing did.

That said, with some many changes and character look alikes I don't think people will care if it can fit easier into Turn A's timeline.

blind51de

Banned
Dianna says that the Dark History began with UC and went on for 10,000 years. So there's plenty of room in there for every Gundam history if civilization and colonies keep destroying themselves and eventually rebuilding before people find the Turn units & Moonlight Butterfly really devastates things.

GS HD 13

When you think about it, it is a miracle how the Archangel managed to stay alive for so long when the highest ranked commanding officers in your ship would go against each other.lol Now that the first arc is finished time to move on to the desert arc.
YZAAAAAKK!!!!
. =(

Watch Da Birdie

Took a bit of a break from Gundam ZZ, and checked out Gundam X last night...

I have to say, I love the soundtrack of Gundam X and the "cinematic" feel of it, which each episode opening up quietly with a recap and then the interesting way they mix the credits (that English song 0.o) with the next episode preview.

It's also pretty interesting since, unlike every other Gundam show, the only kids are Garrod and Tiffa. Everyone else are adults. It's kind of odd because, given the backstory, this would be one series where lots of child soldiers would make sense.

blind51de

Banned
Yeah, I always hate how there are always kids hanging around for no good reason.
I mean, I know why they're there. The fallacy that children can only enjoy a show if there are characters as young as them to project onto, which obviously goes for teenaged protagonists.
But unless your goal is to eventually kill those kids to elicit outrage from your viewers (see Ideon), they're really just there for lame pandering.

Fortunately Tomino actually did something like this, this scene from Victory (not much of a spoiler) is what hooked me and made me decide it's the only really good Gundam series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHlWqZU2bw

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, I always hate how there are always kids hanging around for no good reason.
I mean, I know why they're there. The fallacy that children can only enjoy a show if there are characters as young as them to project onto, which obviously goes for teenaged protagonists.
But unless your goal is to eventually kill those kids to elicit outrage from your viewers (see Ideon), they're really just there for lame pandering.

Fortunately Tomino actually did something like this, this scene from Victory (not much of a spoiler) is what hooked me and made me decide it's the only really good Gundam series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdHlWqZU2bw

I don't know, that would be a powerful scene...if this wasn't the fourth series of Gundam where we've seen tons of kids fighting already. It's kind of melodramatic now.

Took a bit of a break from Gundam ZZ, and checked out Gundam X last night...

I have to say, I love the soundtrack of Gundam X and the "cinematic" feel of it, which each episode opening up quietly with a recap and then the interesting way they mix the credits (that English song 0.o) with the next episode preview.

It's also pretty interesting since, unlike every other Gundam show, the only kids are Garrod and Tiffa. Everyone else are adults. It's kind of odd because, given the backstory, this would be one series where lots of child soldiers would make sense.

I really enjoyed Gundam X and fan reaction over the years to it has mostly been positive. The show got a bum rap at the time and it was partly due to the shift of interest in the mecha genre at the time. They killed the show themselves by moving it to an awful time slot in the middle of it's run.

And yes it had a fantastic soundtrack

blind51de

Banned
I don't know, that would be a powerful scene...if this wasn't the fourth series of Gundam where we've seen tons of kids fighting already. It's kind of melodramatic now.

No Gundam series has had a scene where an enemy realized the atrociousness of forcing the good-guys to make a child pilot the Gundam.
Amuro, Kamille, Judeau and his gang; it's easy to call them victims of circumstance but they are all child soldiers. Something that horrible is always glossed over because it's a common thing for mecha anime. The pilot's a kid because kids are the target audience. Char or his equivalent for the situation might be shocked that his great adversary is some kid, but their reaction is only because "Oh, come on. THAT'S what I've been struggling against?", not "What in the world is wrong with me and my forces? For a kid like this to be forced to fight against us."

That's what makes that scene in Victory so powerful. Usso being a 13 year old shrimp notwithstanding.

Watch Da Birdie

No Gundam series has had a scene where an enemy realized the atrociousness of forcing the good-guys to make a child pilot the Gundam.
Amuro, Kamille, Judeau and his gang; it's easy to call them victims of circumstance but they are all child soldiers. Something that horrible is always glossed over because it's a common thing for mecha anime. The pilot's a kid because kids are the target audience. Char or his equivalent for the situation might be shocked that his great adversary is some kid, but their reaction is only because "Oh, come on. THAT'S what I've been struggling against?", not "What in the world is wrong with me and my forces? For a kid like this to be forced to fight against us."

That's what makes that scene in Victory so powerful. Usso being a 13 year old shrimp notwithstanding.

Well that's kind of what I mean. After three previous series where it wasn't made a big deal and the villains shrugged it off, this guy seems like a baby compared to them haha even though it's a realistic reaction.

Watch Da Birdie

I can see why you'd dislike the whole thing taking place in space. The grounded battles on Earth are always the coolest in each series.

B.K.

I wish Sunrise would release some details about Gundam: The Origin. They should at least announce the format for it.

Beth Cyra

Cancelled to invest more funding into Gundam AGE to try and save it.

Also cancelled to add even more funding into Gundam AGE.

You are going to be making jokes about Age for years aren't you?

Anyway seems like Gen 2 is going better for a decent number of western folk, any positive change for the homeland?

Beth Cyra

At this point I almost feel bad.

I hated the show before it ever came out because of the god awful art and that it was Level 5 helping with it. I never expected it to do this badly though.

Haha I just saw Frozen Teardop's "Doc S", this might be the greatest Gundam event ever just for how much it is trolling Western Gundam Wing fans.

duckroll

You are going to be making jokes about Age for years aren't you?

Anyway seems like Gen 2 is going better for a decent number of western folk, any positive change for the homeland?

Yes I'm going to keep making AGE the butt of all Gundam jokes, because that's what it is. Should never have been made. No one wants it, and no one cares.

Gundam AGE 23

Huh? The Titus arms
got overpowered literally in hand to hand
WTF is this shit man? :O Asem would have made a point if only they weren't investigating the freaking factories and not to expect resistance using what they were actually making there. =.=;;

Blader

Yes I'm going to keep making AGE the butt of all Gundam jokes, because that's what it is. Should never have been made. No one wants it, and no one cares.

Except for the people who are actually watching it...

I was also gonna say that SEED/Destiny is the ultimate Gundam joke, but then I remembered a billion people watched that shit. Feels bad man

Except for the people who are actually watching it...

I was also gonna say that SEED/Destiny is the ultimate Gundam joke, but then I remembered a billion people watched that shit. Feels bad man
I dont see why SEED has to be necessarily lumped together with Destiny if you want to make it out to be a joke of the franchise.

Gundam AGE 23

Huh? The Titus arms
got overpowered literally in hand to hand
WTF is this shit man? :O Asem would have made a point if only they weren't investigating the freaking factories and not to expect resistance using what they were actually making there. =.=;;

No shoulder beams right from the get go was a fail. Other than that, another fun episode with decent animation.

Blader

It's not just you. It does look a bit worse than vol4. The turnaround time for this one is shorter though isn't it?

It's about the same gap as between 2 and 3.

Youtube commenters are all shitting on the song, but I liked it.

Also: dat
Kai Shiden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom