• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEO0MJ

Just finished building my model kit of The O! Never before have I put so much effort into a kit, as I painted and inked parts of it and even applied decals and stickers and decals for the first time (and I guess it shows...)
Still, mighty proud of it. I just love this suite.

7007245937_fe494b0e83_c.jpg

6861131944_c10f6a0ef2_c.jpg

7007249819_788b7f637a_c.jpg

6861135498_3d6a9df58a_c.jpg

7007252239_69e31d7d60_c.jpg

6861137896_61736c7672_c.jpg

EXVS beat them to it.
Cmon I'm sure people loved the Catalyst and Gundam fans would like to hear more from them! :D

GS HD 14

Still need to wait a few more eps. to see the new shit in the 2nd OP, but the obvious ones so far is naming every single ZAFT mobile suit that is shown in the OP.lol Can't wait to see how they handle Kira and Flay's sex scene next ep. :D

edit: Totally forgot them including the Perfect Strike in the OP this time around, got to sell those models yo!

Holy FUCK, the next handful of AGE episodes sound intense as hell.

Yeah, shit just got real in episode 24. See you around, Space Cowboy... ;__;

Also, Double Bullet is a lot cooler than expected. Rather 00 Raiser-esque to a degree and wasn't expecting the whole V2-like beam wings. Good action and animation in this one as well, which basically took up half the episode. Also with the episode 25 preview
looks like that helmet Flit took from the dead Vagan is being used to give Asemu X-Rounder powers.

Gundam AGE 24

Poor Asem.
Romary made her choice!!!HAHAHAHAHA But at least now he can be an x-rounder too...
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if
Flit turns out to be the last villain or Asem for that matter.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I just watched episode 23 and I have to echo people sentiments of how
insulting that whole fight sequence was. From the Titus suits not using the beam shoulders, to not being able to overpower the other vagan suit in a hand to hand. SMH

Though Flit is still awesome. We need more hardcore ruthless Flit.

EDIT: Just watched 24 and the animation during the fight was pretty awesome. Also Romary freaking sucks.

Bebpo

Banned
You know, what I don't get about AGE-2's standard design is he has these SHARP BLADE WINGS normally, right? There's like 4 of them. They look VERY MUCH LIKE SWORDS, aka Exia; but...they do nothing? It's really odd.

age-2.jpg

I get they're supposed to be wings, but normally if they look like that, they do something in Gundam designs. Like become funnels or swords or something. Seems odd to make them so sharp and metallic if they aren't supposed to be used for cutting things.

Bebpo

Banned
Isn't it just part of the transformation into the shitty Wave Rider form?

They're part of the ship form but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do anything in normal form.

I'd be happy enough if they were just metal blades that stick out from the waverider form so he can fly near enemies and cut them to pieces as he flys by their side. Like the Mazinger Scrambler. But nope, they do nothing.

They also look really cumbersome. Limits the range of motion for the arms methinks.

You're assuming the AGE animation staff is limited by physics. You give them too much credit :p

Bebpo

Banned
Hahaha, oh Sunrise. Your lack of originality knows no bounds at this point. Everything in new Gundams is rehashed, even the storyboarding!

Though maybe that one was unintentional, I mean if you want to draw a gundam blocking two beam sabers at once, that's the cool pose to do it in.

Bebpo

Banned
a lot of those are just stock gundam scenes. Like char flying right at the camera to show speed.

The first comparison reminds me of how ugly the GN-X designs were (A-LAWS being worse), as much as the Vagan suits look like digimons, the GN-X's were pretty terrible too. Gundam needs better enemy mech designers these days. Then again OO had the sexy Flags and those cool ground/space zakus that Sergei used in S1.

Blader

duckroll said:
Yeah well it's a shitty Level-5 anime. Can't expect much when it's written and conceived by losers. :p

Did you ever watch more than 5 minutes of one episode?

Yeah, it's more of an homage or unintentional.

Probably unintentional; that'd be kind of a weird thing to pay homage to.

The Unicorn/Sinanju imitation is most definitely deliberate though :lol

B.K.

Amazon has the Mobile Suit Gundam novel in stock now. They have it a few days earlier than they originally said. I just put in an order for it. I missed the last printing.

Divvy

You can find repeats of pretty much all fights in Gundam in another Gundam series. Gets worse when you bring other mecha anime into it

It's just a thing animators love to do, referencing older works. It's not really done out of laziness but more so out of homage or inspiration.

Bebpo

Banned
It's just a thing animators love to do, referencing older works. It's not really done out of laziness but more so out of homage or inspiration.

Errrr, a lot of times it is laziness. Especially when they're freaking TRACING like we've had in prior Gundam threads when OO or Destiny was airing.

It can be both, but I'd say it's more often Sunrise being cheap because they can get away with it.

Divvy

Errrr, a lot of times it is laziness. Especially when they're freaking TRACING like we've had in prior Gundam threads when OO or Destiny was airing.

It can be both, but I'd say it's more often Sunrise being cheap because they can get away with it.

I meant animators in general. But yeah, Gundam gets these shitty tracings probably because Sunrise are cheap and lazy losers.

In other news:
Apparently in the AGE universe. When you get older, you're required to grow a beard:

wjxqw.jpg

Talon

Gundam Wing's known for having a smaller animation budget, isn't it? Which is why every time you see an Aries or Pisces later, it's the exact same three scenes shown. Swoop - three in a row - swoop down in formation.

Divvy

Gundam Wing's known for having a smaller animation budget, isn't it? Which is why every time you see an Aries or Pisces later, it's the exact same three scenes shown. Swoop - three in a row - swoop down in formation.

Anime studios in general are basically slave labour camps for the animators at least compared to the animation studios in the west. So I'm not really surprised by the amount of cop outs in some of the shows. I didn't think Wing was that bad tbh, some of the reuses are understandable. I mean, are you going to spend time redrawing the aries shooting stuff, or are you going to spend that time making the shots of the gundams look better? Though, maybe I just think it looks fine relative to the absolute laziness of SEED/Destiny.

Beth Cyra

Or that they were so cheap they reused the battle between Epyon and Zero from the Ep EpVZero during the final fight haha. That or Zero's spinning back slash, he used it so many times it's shocking to me that it isn't his signature attack instead of TBR.

The first comparison reminds me of how ugly the GN-X designs were (A-LAWS being worse), as much as the Vagan suits look like digimons, the GN-X's were pretty terrible too. Gundam needs better enemy mech designers these days. Then again OO had the sexy Flags and those cool ground/space zakus that Sergei used in S1.
I thought the GN-X 1 designs were pretty sweet. Most of S1's stuff was good... S2's mecha designs all should have been scrapped. The Gadessa's beam fingertips were the only redeeming thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom