• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man, the Vagan are so ridiculously inept. They have such a technological advantage and up until episode 29, they haven't accomplished much of anything.

I must admit. AGE 3 does look pretty cool. Best one out of the three.

Beth Cyra

Man, the Vagan are so ridiculously inept. They have such a technological advantage and up until episode 29, they haven't accomplished much of anything.

I must admit. AGE 3 does look pretty cool. Best one out of the three.

It's easily my favorite based on early art, probably because it reminded me so much of ZZ. Thing is the early released Action figure it looked awful and the transformation was so bad I could only pray that it's nothing like the real transformation the machine might have.

Divvy

It's easily my favorite based on early art, probably because it reminded me so much of ZZ. Thing is the early released Action figure it looked awful and the transformation was so bad I could only pray that it's nothing like the real transformation the machine might have.

Yeah I was kind of meh on the design until this actual episode. It looks pretty badass in this shot:

i9r2klzE6cEjN.png

The Orbital configuration looks pretty good too. Not sold on the one with the four cannons though.

Beth Cyra

Yeah I was kind of meh on the design until this actual episode. It looks pretty badass in this shot:

i9r2klzE6cEjN.png

The Orbital configuration looks pretty good too. Not sold on the one with the four cannons though.

As I've said in this thread, I'm not a fan of AGE's design, but I got to say when Bandai releases AGE 3/Orbital/Fortress I just might be tempted. Just wish the legs where a bit shorter, they just seem way to long for the rest of the body. Hopefully the MG will fix that.

i9r2klzE6cEjN.png

I don't like the proportions of that. The arms are small, but the legs are gigantic. The whole bottom half looks funky.

Bebpo

Banned
AGE3 was ok. It's probably the best start of any of the 3 AGEs and the lead guy seems like he could be the best lead in the series. Plus he's the strongest newtype in the universe + grew up as a child soldier on simulators so he'll probably be Jesus Yamato level of good pilot instead of shitty Asemu.

I like how Asemu was the crappy kid in the family. No newtype powers, was always an angsty brat, goes off and disappears leaving his kid to grow up fatherless. Maybe when he finally reappears he'll be a decent character making amends for what a screw up he's been all his life.

The only thing AGE3 really has against it from the start is the mech designs look terrible. Like TruePrime, I thought AGE3 looked the best in the initial design leak because it had a nice ZZ look. But in this episode AGE3 is one of the worst looking lead Gundams I've ever seen. It's bulky in the worst way. The head is terrible, the shoulderpack stuff looks really bad, and the unit is really only decent from the torso down. The weapons are cool, but the main body sucks and the variants in the OP all look really bad. I dunno, why AGE has such bad mech designs throughout. The people working on the designs are some of the same people who did Gundam OO. It's like Hino drew all these out on a napkin.

X-Frame

The Gundam Wiki has Unicorn Episode 5 as being released May 2012 but it still seems to be TBA. Has there been an official release date?

Bebpo

Banned
In general I've never understood or liked multi-part docking in gundams. Gundam isn't a super robot show, people don't work together as a team to fight with a single gundam. So stuff like ZZ, V, Impulse, AGE3 just seem kind of pointless as they don't do anything in core fighter forms and it just means an extra 60 seconds of docking animation before every fight.

I'd be ok if there was never another multi ship docking gundam ever. Unless they have the creativity to make a super robot gundam that actually has a "gundam team" that works together to fight.

Divvy

The only thing AGE3 really has against it from the start is the mech designs look terrible. Like TruePrime, I thought AGE3 looked the best in the initial design leak because it had a nice ZZ look. But in this episode AGE3 is one of the worst looking lead Gundams I've ever seen. It's bulky in the worst way. The head is terrible, the shoulderpack stuff looks really bad, and the unit is really only decent from the torso down. The weapons are cool, but the main body sucks and the variants in the OP all look really bad. I dunno, why AGE has such bad mech designs throughout. The people working on the designs are some of the same people who did Gundam OO. It's like Hino drew all these out on a napkin.

I think it depends on who's drawing it. The actual proportions on the suit vary wildly from scene to scene.

I still think this:

ibyTjBzeqbO6zc.png

Looks great, but it looks like ass sometimes like here:

fVQez.jpg

I think the shitty designs are due to executive meddling. OO's designs went to shit in season two because the powers that be wanted more toy friendly designs and I imagine the same thing happened here.

Beth Cyra

I think it depends on who's drawing it. The actual proportions on the suit vary wildly from scene to scene.

I still think this:]

I think the shitty designs are due to executive meddling. OO's designs went to shit in season two because the powers that be wanted more toy friendly designs and I imagine the same thing happened here.

I don't know if that can even be excused here. Granted it's only the Gaging Builder so far, but between the just overly jankyness along side the dumbest transformation yet seen in Gundam it doesn't even work as a toy.

I wanted to at least love AGE 3, but thus far they are trying their damndest to make sure I can't.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I noticed flipping through it again that the proportions for AGE3 change every shot. The animation/art consistency in this show is ^^;

Yeah, I noticed flipping through it again that the proportions for AGE3 change every shot. The animation/art consistency in this show is ^^;
I'm surprised that Sunrise hasn't moved over to rotoscoping CG models of the mobile suits. Then again, perhaps they are not that technologically advanced yet.

zchen

The Vagans are weaker than the Jovians from Nadesico.....lol

Come to think of it, I would like to see an OVA series based on Advance of Zeta: The Flag of Titans.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Must have been reading rumors then.

Regardless a 50 Eps remake of MSG would be just to much after not only the original but SEED and AGE.

I think the likeliest format for MSG : Origins is a OVA format similar to Unicorn. I really can't imagine it getting a TV series of any kind - 26 or 50-episodes.

Tookay

In general I've never understood or liked multi-part docking in gundams. Gundam isn't a super robot show, people don't work together as a team to fight with a single gundam. So stuff like ZZ, V, Impulse, AGE3 just seem kind of pointless as they don't do anything in core fighter forms and it just means an extra 60 seconds of docking animation before every fight.

I'd be ok if there was never another multi ship docking gundam ever. Unless they have the creativity to make a super robot gundam that actually has a "gundam team" that works together to fight.

The only time a multi-part anything was used well was in (wait for it... don't laugh...) Destiny during the Impulse-Freedom fight. Otherwise, it's a total, gimmicky waste.

Beth Cyra

The only time a multi-part anything was used well was in (wait for it... don't laugh...) Destiny during the Impulse-Freedom fight. Otherwise, it's a total, gimmicky waste.
I think the issue is that the Dock used by Impulse there was to similar to Kira Strike docking to fight off the other Gundams during early SEED, at least to me.

Then again I've always hated all the docks. Even ZZ which I love the combination doesn't add anything and this goes back to RX 78-2. Honestly though, God Gundam is the biggest offender. I remember watching all the way through G Gundam and I never realized that the Core Lander was a seperate unit until I was watching a MG God Gundam Review.

Totally a pointless thing that was only held over because it was part of the original Gundam.

zchen

I think there's a difference between having a core pod used for emergency escapes than the different armament docking, combination, or transformable MS.

I thought Wing Gundam's rotate ass around, shield on face, spread wings MA mode was bad, but still not as pathetic as Epyon's flip butt spread wings transformation, at least you can say Wing's transformation made it a bit more aerodynamic?

Beth Cyra

I think there's a difference between having a core pod used for emergency escapes than the different armament docking, combination, or transformable MS.

Also If I recall correctly, Zeta's transformation was influenced by the popularity of Macross?

I thought Wing Gundam's rotate ass around, shield on face, spread wings MA mode was bad, but still not as pathetic as Epyon's flip butt spread wings transformation, at least you can say Wing's transformation made it a bit more aerodynamic?

Wing's Transformation was very simple. Then again the entire idea of a tranformation for extended travel made sense, and the idea of keeping said transformation as simple as possible also makes alot of sense, so both Wing and Wing Zero's worked given their context. Epyon's on the other hand was stupid as all hell.

Zeta's was thus far the only good transformation in both idea and look.

Wat? Victory was awesome in its usage of parts, especially when Usso jettisoned them as attacks.

That show also exemplified the weakness of multipart suits since the Victory parts would get shot down multiple times while docking.

Bebpo said:
I like how Asemu was the crappy kid in the family. No newtype powers, was always an angsty brat, goes off and disappears leaving his kid to grow up fatherless. Maybe when he finally reappears he'll be a decent character making amends for what a screw up he's been all his life.

Asemu didn't appear to be regretting anything he's done in his life at that point and had already found his resolve.

Tookay

Wat? Victory was awesome in its usage of parts, especially when Usso jettisoned them as attacks.

That show also exemplified the weakness of multipart suits since the Victory parts would get shot down multiple times while docking.

Haven't seen enough of Victory to comment. The only thing I can recall is some part where girls in bikinis try to bazooka the main Gundam or something. And then they die.

Never again.

He is coming back as a pirate piloting a pirate gundam doing pirate things. I don't see how that's going to make up for years of not being there for your kid.

That's because Mobile Suit Gundam totally was that. Gundam power up parts and all. Until all of it gut cut out in the movie versions.

Blader

They simplified the mech designs in 00 S2 because they were easier to animate.

That was stupid indeed, but judging Victory from this kind of scene alone is not smart either.

Not that Victory doesn't have plenty of those kinds of scenes anyway :lol

Beth Cyra

Victory Gundam is a parody, right? Please say yes.

This reminded me how I always found ZZ to be the Red Headed step child odd when Victory Gundam exists.

Not to talk down Victory as ZZ is actually my favorite of the UC's but given how much flack it gets and people are quick to pair it with Wing as the worst Gundam series and completely ignore or act like Victory is better.

Just odd to me I guess.

Jubern

Not to talk down Victory as ZZ is actually my favorite of the UC's but given how much flack it gets and people are quick to pair it with Wing as the worst Gundam series and completely ignore or act like Victory is better.

Just odd to me I guess.

Eh...

I really have to wonder about that comparison. Victory is NOTHING like Wing quality-wise. It gets a really, really unfair reputation because of this scene and other stupid shit it does, but as a whole it was definitely awesome.

This reminded me how I always found ZZ to be the Red Headed step child odd when Victory Gundam exists.

Just odd to me I guess.

I've never really heard that comparison with Wing and Victory.

Beth Cyra

Eh...

I really have to wonder about that comparison. Victory is NOTHING like Wing quality-wise. It gets a really, really unfair reputation because of this scene and other stupid shit it does, but as a whole it was definitely awesome.

No, I'm saying Wing is compared to ZZ.

Then again maybe I just find it odd because I love ZZ and how often people hate on ZZ and seem to either like Victory or just don't mention it.

So
Wing = ZZ = BAD

Which I find odd because some of the dumbass decisions made in Victory.

Aside from that though I just noticed something and I really hope it doesn't become a trend. I've becpme a real big fan of the Real Grade packaging and one thing I really enjoyed was the how the Gundam's thus far have only been holding one weapon and they actually removed the Sheilds from the left arm.

Sadly they got rid of this with MK II and I really hope that it will only be for MK II and they go back to how it was Gundam/Strike/Freedom.

Beth Cyra

Nice, post 'em when they're built!

I got my MG Mk-II yesterday.
7133923435_d50a66e6ba_b.jpg

The box is freaking huge.

I saw that in the Pick up thread.

I had considered grabbing MK II (Titans) but decided I would just pick up the RG since I already got the Zeta 2.0 on order. Did you ever watch the first half of Zeta? What did you end up thinking of it?

Blader

Man, I really like Wing. And I don't think it's (entirely) nostalgia talking because when I did a rewatch a couple years ago -- the first time since watching it on Toonami -- I found myself still enjoying it, albeit for COMPLETELY different reasons. :lol

Beth Cyra

I honestly think Wing holds up alright. If you liked it originally then there is a good chance you will like it now.

Granted I loved Treize and the mecha from my original veiwing, and frankly I think these have aged very well given what has come after them. Sadly the rest of the cast only stays around the same because to me the Casts of X/SEED/Destiny/OO are for the most part crap as well. Though I got to say, back when I first saw it I didn't notice how often they reused shots.

I swear Heavyarms has all of like 6 different actions they just reuse over and over again.

I saw that in the Pick up thread.

I had considered grabbing MK II (Titans) but decided I would just pick up the RG since I already got the Zeta 2.0 on order. Did you ever watch the first half of Zeta? What did you end up thinking of it?
Characters are a bit kooky, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I honestly think Wing holds up alright. If you liked it originally then there is a good chance you will like it now.
I liked it 10 years ago because I thought it was awesome. I like it now because I think it's hilarious. Even so, I'll always love Kou Otani's score for the show, and the series itself has a special place in my heart for introducing me to Gundam.

Also, Wing fans, check this out if you don't mind Nerd rap:

Richie Branson - The Wing Zero EP

It's actually kind of awesome, lol

Beth Cyra

Characters are a bit kooky, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I liked it 10 years ago because I thought it was awesome. I like it now because I think it's hilarious. Even so, I'll always love Kou Otani's score for the show, and the series itself has a special place in my heart for introducing me to Gundam.

Also, Wing fans, check this out if you don't mind Nerd rap:

Richie Branson - The Wing Zero EP

It's actually kind of awesome, lol

Maybe it's just because I never took Wing seriously when I orgiinally watched it that I didn't have that switch? I honestly don't know, the only "serious" moment that I remember actually liking and would probably laugh at now was Duo's cry over Deathscythe.

It's certainly more cheesy now, but I still like because it's one of the rare moments in Gundam that really felt like the pilot was attached to the Gundam instead of the Gundam just being a vehicle to tell the story.

All that being said, I kinda look at all of the Gundam's it seems like you and many others do when it comes to Wing. I don't think any of them tell a very good story and at least I thought Wing was kinda badass at times instead of just wanting to strangle Kira and Lacus for yelling at everyone to stop fighting while blowing or slashing everyone up like paper dolls.

Got to say how shocked I am over the fact that the Soundtrack does hold pretty well. Granted I've enjoyed several Gundam soundtracks, but I do remember thinking for a long time that Wing's would definitly be a in the moment kinda thing.

John Blade

Maybe it's just because I never took Wing seriously when I orgiinally watched it that I didn't have that switch? I honestly don't know, the only "serious" moment that I remember actually liking and would probably laugh at now was Duo's cry over Deathscythe.

It's certainly more cheesy now, but I still like because it's one of the rare moments in Gundam that really felt like the pilot was attached to the Gundam instead of the Gundam just being a vehicle to tell the story.

All that being said, I kinda look at all of the Gundam's it seems like you and many others do when it comes to Wing. I don't think any of them tell a very good story and at least I thought Wing was kinda badass at times instead of just wanting to strangle Kira and Lacus for yelling at everyone to stop fighting while blowing or slashing everyone up like paper dolls.

To me, Gundam Wing is a show where it manage to get the male audience at the time to be amazed. It was the first time people in North America have ever see some epic mecha show that isn't from the Transformer. It have this some kind of story about 5 teenager boys come to earth to fight against the enemies at very bad odds (we're talking about the entire military force against 5 kids). This story idea and the action scene is what (for me) make us pump when watching Gundam Wing. Yea, the show isn't great and you can challenge it as a very bad TV show in today standard, but it's a stepping stone for Japanese animated as the fans want more of it and we manage to get like most of the Gundam show and movie into North America.

Beth Cyra

To me, Gundam Wing is a show where it manage to get the male audience at the time to be amazed. It was the first time people in North America have ever see some epic mecha show that isn't from the Transformer. It have this some kind of story about 5 teenager boys come to earth to fight against the enemies at very bad odds (we're talking about the entire military force against 5 kids). This story idea and the action scene is what (for me) make us pump when watching Gundam Wing. Yea, the show isn't great and you can challenge it as a very bad TV show in today standard, but it's a stepping stone for Japanese animated as the fans want more of it and we manage to get like most of the Gundam show and movie into North America.

Well regardless of it's quality, they produced more Gundam Wing then the usual AU so fans of it have plenty of stuff. Well, for it's time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom