• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundamu GAF I have a question, I'm looking to expand my gundam figure collection. So far I have mostly G Gundam figures with two from SeeD I believe and Nu gundam. Now I bought all of these years ago, but I also remember buying a master Asia gundam that you had to build yourself. I want an action figure not one that I have to actually build myself, since I still want to play with them but if it's one I build myself then it's really fragile and the pieces go everywhere. But I don't really know the difference in some of these when you go buy them, would anybody be kind enough to help me out here since I don't understand some of the differences in types and etc.
On a site like HobbyLink Japan, it will tell you if assembly and/or painting is required. I think only action figures are going to fit your needs.

Beth Cyra

Gundamu GAF I have a question, I'm looking to expand my gundam figure collection. So far I have mostly G Gundam figures with two from SeeD I believe and Nu gundam. Now I bought all of these years ago, but I also remember buying a master Asia gundam that you had to build yourself. I want an action figure not one that I have to actually build myself, since I still want to play with them but if it's one I build myself then it's really fragile and the pieces go everywhere. But I don't really know the difference in some of these when you go buy them, would anybody be kind enough to help me out here since I don't understand some of the differences in types and etc.

If you just want really nice figures then I would suggest the Robot Spirits/Damashii line.

Has tons of leads across multiple series and they are bringing even more as time goes by including both leads and grunt units. The great thing is you can mess with them quite a bit and not worry about them breaking or wearing out all that fast.

They can be a bit pricey but I would say they are worth it and though it is rare be alot better then even Master Grades depending on the unit. The Nu Gundam looks much better then the MG and the upcoming Wing Gundam Zero TV is easily the best version of suit we have gotten when it comes to nailing the suit and how it was in the TV series.

You can also look into MSIA's and Fixed Figures but those tend to be even more expensive then Robot's but their is a really cool God and Nobell Fixed Figure pack.

mingus

I've never bought any of these but the Robot Damashii series sounds right up your alley. There's at least one action figure version for every model kit version, and then some. If you want a sampling, this Japanese guy has done reviews of almost every one.

zchen

Nicoga pointed me I this direction from the figures thread.

I picked up a gundam model kit for £3 in a local charity shop - no the sort of thing you normally find in those places. It's a ZAFT ZGMF-X10A, freedom gundam. I have no idea about the different types of gundams but for £3 you can't go wrong.

Any tips on putting these together, or are they like model aircraft kits?

damn, haven't seen deals like that since the great Toy's R Us blow out of the mid 2000s
MG kits are pretty straight forward snap kits. Of course the appearance can be improved vastly if you want to do painting, taking care of seam lines etc.

Finally finished a gundam anime, good deal for the 50$ (for both seasons)

Gundam 00 s2

8 / 10. Compared to other gundams (well the other two Im watching), this one lacks
main character turmoil over friendship, Setsuna just seemed to have to endure internal conflict with reformation and justice, so I didnt like that too much.
I prefer this season more than the first one. Setsuna was pretty cool
especially when he became a purebreed innovator?
, Saji Crossroad, Ribbons Almarck was fun too. 00 Raiser is the best gundam to ever exist. I felt that the action got a bit hectic in the end there
the suicide mobile suit clones seemed to just become blurs in the closing episodes in that heavy assault. Though the action was pretty welcome. I was always mindblown whenever 00 would quantize, how was that even possible?

The best episodes were those around the
Momento mori (both times) and the Orbital Elevator and its near collapse and purging, enjoyed everyone working together as well as the moments leading up to it and swiftly there after.

Guess I need the movie.

Yeah most gundam protagonists usually have to worry about killing their love interest rather than their friend or something. Only two shows did the latter.

I constructed my Master Grade Gundam Mk-II 2.0 today. I posed it with my OG Gundam Ver. Ka because I thought they looked really good together. The Ver. Ka's "realistic" interpretative styling really complements the Mk-II.
Straight build obviously, no paint or paneling :/

7003002328_b64c457ec0_c.jpg
7003002344_9ff0b23ba9_c.jpg

Beth Cyra

I constructed my Master Grade Gundam Mk-II 2.0 today. I posed it with my OG Gundam Ver. Ka because I thought they looked really good together. The Ver. Ka's "realistic" interpretative styling really complements the Mk-II.
Straight build obviously, no paint or paneling :/

Looks awesome. That and you used the Ver Ka Gundam which I really perfer the look of compared to Gundam 2.0.

Really makes me want my RG MK II arrive even sooner.

Ezalc

I've never bought any of these but the Robot Damashii series sounds right up your alley. There's at least one action figure version for every model kit version, and then some. If you want a sampling, this Japanese guy has done reviews of almost every one.

Holy crap, this looks awesome. I don't know if I ever posted a shot of my collection here, but I will in the future, as soon as I find Spiegel Gundam's blades, but yeah this is exactly what I want. Thanks!

I've got a few Damashii figures (Crossbone X-1, Unicorn Destroy mode). They're a nice, smaller alternative to models. They're not cheap, though.

AGE 30.

The Diva's new captain has the last name Einus. It's pronounced just like Anus. Did anyone at Sunrise think about that?

Also, Zeaheart's MS looks like a lot like Eva unit 2.

Blame Bandai Visual and Sunrise. They expected Gundam to be as big in the West as it is in Japan. When that didn't happen, they took their ball and went home.

Ezalc

I'm mad that G Gundam doesn't have it's own game. Seriously, it's a tournament gundam anime, yet there's no fighting game of it. Can't they see all of the awesome shit that suits like the Windmill gundam could do?!

I'm mad that G Gundam doesn't have it's own game. Seriously, it's a tournament gundam anime, yet there's no fighting game of it. Can't they see all of the awesome shit that suits like the Windmill gundam could do?!
Yeah, it's weird how Gundam Wing got a fighting game, but G Gundam didn't. At least the God Gundam was in Battle Assault 2.

Age 30
tumblr_m3mkxhY0as1qd37umo5_500.png

After finishing Gundam 00 I cant help but think that a few things in Age seemed toned down in someways to that one. Though in Age the part with
Big Ring getting annihilated and further people actually getting vaporized was shocking and stunning
Seric Abis definitely up there for the best of the mobile suit formation leaders. I still put Kio as the least good of the three gens. They need to establish what and why is he fighting
unless the search for Asemu is a part of his. He has no meeting with Zehearto so really has no actually attachment to Vegan beyond that. Doubtful that he shares the same hate as Flit, who lost Yurin, since he himself has lost no one. Oh well, am glad the Diva is back.

Also whoever they had do that animation for the Age system...needs to do more one of the most memorable parts.

Is this game good? I mean genuinely good. Is it similar to the PSP campaign titles were it takes you through history?

Standalone original story that takes place in UC 0081. You can play through as EFF or Zeon. The online modes (co-op and deathmatch) are separate and let you use tons of MS. As much as I love shit Gundam games, I thought it was a genuinely good game.

Jubern

Age 30
I still put Kio as the least good of the three gens. They need to establish what and why is he fighting
unless the search for Asemu is a part of his. He has no meeting with Zehearto so really has no actually attachment to Vegan beyond that. Doubtful that he shares the same hate as Flit, who lost Yurin, since he himself has lost no one. Oh well, am glad the Diva is back.

I'm pretty sure Kio's only reason to fight is his beloved "Granpa Flit". Remember how in last ep Kio was like "Oh gosh I can ride the Gundam?!"
With that and the "video game" thing, it definitely looks like Flit had a part in Kio's upbringing. And by that, I don't mean a good part.

Standalone original story that takes place in UC 0081. You can play through as EFF or Zeon. The online modes (co-op and deathmatch) are separate and let you use tons of MS. As much as I love shit Gundam games, I thought it was a genuinely good game.

Hmm, interesting. Well thanks for the input if I have some extra $$$ around and find it cheap online, I'll check it out.

Jubern

Hmm, interesting. Well thanks for the input if I have some extra $$$ around and find it cheap online, I'll check it out.

The story is some really classic Zeon remnants stuff and the characters are terribly cliché, but the gameplay totally makes up for it. A lot of possibilities for customization and nice mission variety too.

Be careful with the DLC though : you might be tempted by shiny things like the GP series, Mark II or Rick Dias... but once you buy them you still need to grind ingame to unlock the units. Then their equipement. And it takes time, a lot of it.
I never got to use my Mark II or Rick Dias because I didn't know at the time é_è

Be careful with the DLC though : you might be tempted by shiny things like the GP series, Mark II or Rick Dias... but once you buy them you still need to grind ingame to unlock the units. Then their equipement. And it takes time, a lot of it.
I never got to use my Mark II or Rick Dias because I didn't know at the time é_è

They fixed this for Gundam Unicorn. All DLC is automatically unlocked in the game, you don't have grind and re-purchase it in-game.

Beth Cyra

The Gundam Wing fighting game is really awesome though.
I love this (annoying) Tallgeese play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH2vuI_QcZ4

God damn, how the fuck did they come up with Eypon's super?

That and Epyon from GB Assualt 2 looksl largely ripped right out of the SNES Wing game. Speaking of GBA, is it the only time G-Unit has been used outside the manga?

Haha nevermind, after the video it had one listed as G Unit in SD G. I had completely forgotten G Unit existed until I picked up the Wing Mecha revised book.

Huh. Speaking of Gundam fighting games, I wish Namco Bandai would put up Gundam Battle Assault and its sequel on the Playstation Store.

Hell yeah. And IIRC, those were developed for the western market specifically. They were more feature complete and had larger rosters than the Japanese games they were based on.

NEO0MJ

Huh. Speaking of Gundam fighting games, I wish Namco Bandai would put up Gundam Battle Assault and its sequel on the Playstation Store.

I don't know. After replaying it recently I found it to be a horrible, imbalanced fighter. Like, really imbalanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom