• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

I don't care for G, but I have developed a foundness for both Domon and Master Asia when they are removed from the rest of G.

Spiegel is flat amazing regardless though, so I can agree on that. Again though, Bandai does love G, they use it alot and even going back to the early days of Master Grades G was treated very well and they had whole new things to make the G Gundam MG's work and had 4 master grades before most AU got any.

Hell to this day Wing still doesn't have Wing Gundam Zero (TV) as a MG but Shining/God/Master/Spiegel all have MG's and even when the EW suits started getting some love G and X (well no one seemed to care about the X stuff) got entered into the HGUC line which now has Shining/God/Master and Horse/Nobell and Nobell berserker.

I'll admit that I'm not well versed in the releases of master grade kits and the like considering I don't particularly enjoy having to build the figure when I'd rather just get one that's built and play with it. So it's why I never noticed these things and why if you ever see me in a conversation it'll be about me complaining that G gets no love. Your words give me more hope that Spiegel will one day be in EVSFB and hopefully Maxter too. I do know that Allenby has something of a fanbase in Japan though.

Beth Cyra

I'll admit that I'm not well versed in the releases of master grade kits and the like considering I don't particularly enjoy having to build the figure when I'd rather just get one that's built and play with it. So it's why I never noticed these things and why if you ever see me in a conversation it'll be about me complaining that G gets no love. Your words give me more hope that Spiegel will one day be in EVSFB and hopefully Maxter too. I do know that Allenby has something of a fanbase in Japan though.

I would imagine Spiegel has a pretty good chance. As it is they added G Divider and I can't imagine that it's even close to Spiegel or Nobell, that and we did have rumors of Nobell getting in and while that didn't happen almost every suit from that rumored list has now made it in.

Do we know if Full Boost is going to have unannounced suits to be unlocked after release like D Hell? If so I would put money down on something from G getting in.

Tookay

Uh... I've seen UC as the common abbreviation for Gundam Unicorn. That's what I meant by UC haters (there are a fair amount of folks who, for whatever reason, think it's terribad).

I think some people dislike it because it's pure fan-service, the Zeon over-glorification, and the space wizardry.

Which is understandable, but it does everything else so well it seems silly to hate it. It's the best Gundam has been in practically a decade.

Ezalc

I would imagine Spiegel has a pretty good chance. As it is they added G Divider and I can't imagine that it's even close to Spiegel or Nobell, that and we did have rumors of Nobell getting in and while that didn't happen almost every suit from that rumored list has now made it in.

Do we know if Full Boost is going to have unannounced suits to be unlocked after release like D Hell? If so I would put money down on something from G getting in.

I was surprised that Nobel wasn't already in, along with Spiegel sadly, because Allenby seems to be a fan favorite. Though seeing her in God Gundam's attack makes it seem like she might not become a playable character.

Beth Cyra

I was surprised that Nobel wasn't already in, along with Spiegel sadly, because Allenby seems to be a fan favorite. Though seeing her in God Gundam's attack makes it seem like she might not become a playable character.

Doesn't mean anything I would imagine. After all Luna's Zaku Warrior had Force Impulse and Shinn as an assit and now that is fully playable suit.

I really doubt we will see both Spiegel and Nobell make the cut. Given Spiegel was in NP I would imagine we are more likely to see Nobell. I'm still waiting for Maxter to be a real unit and will likely be waiting for a very long time for both him and Snow White.

Ezalc

Doesn't mean anything I would imagine. After all Luna's Zaku Warrior had Force Impulse and Shinn as an assit and now that is fully playable suit.

I really doubt we will see both Spiegel and Nobell make the cut. Given Spiegel was in NP I would imagine we are more likely to see Nobell. I'm still waiting for Maxter to be a real unit and will likely be waiting for a very long time for both him and Snow White.

I'll be mad if Nobel gets in over Spiegel. I mean Nobel is whatever Spiegel is a German Ninja, that alone is more than enough to qualify him. I honestly just want Maxter because I think a boxing Gundam is incredibly interesting and I'd love it if he made the cut as a playable unit. Don't care for Nobel at all though.

Beth Cyra

I'll be mad if Nobel gets in over Spiegel. I mean Nobel is whatever Spiegel is a German Ninja, that alone is more than enough to qualify him. I honestly just want Maxter because I think a boxing Gundam is incredibly interesting and I'd love it if he made the cut as a playable unit. Don't care for Nobel at all though.

I have no idea. Sailor Venus is really popular and as I mentioned Bandai has been fond of Nobell lately so I wouldn't be shocked if they went with her.

Ezalc

I have no idea. Sailor Venus is really popular and as I mentioned Bandai has been fond of Nobell lately so I wouldn't be shocked if they went with her.

Only reason Nobel would get in is because she's a fan favorite. One of the few characters on the show that seems like a lot of people enjoyed probably because of the whole Sailor Moon stuff.

Beth Cyra

Just watched a review of MG Sparrow.

I dislike the AGE designs, but I got to say for as lame as Titus is I actually think it's far better then Sparrow.

There's already a couple that have been released after release.

Already out - Unicorn Banshee
Next up - Reborns
Upcoming - Corin's Kapool, Duel Assault Buster, Efreet Custom, X-Divider, Gundam MK-II

I'm pretty sure there's a ton of other unannounced suits as well in the queue.

Just watched a review of MG Sparrow.

I dislike the AGE designs, but I got to say for as lame as Titus is I actually think it's far better then Sparrow.

If they were going to make a Ninja Gundam, they should have used black. I think the color scheme blows ass on the Sparrow, and I was never a fan of the AGE-1 head and torso in the first place, but I would be receptive to the idea of a slim, EVA-esque Gundam design as long as it was better executed.

Blader

I think some people dislike it because it's pure fan-service, the Zeon over-glorification, and the space wizardry.

Which is understandable, but it does everything else so well it seems silly to hate it. It's the best Gundam has been in practically a decade.

I think people who complain about Zeon fanwanking in Unicorn aren't really paying any attention to the show.

Beth Cyra

If they were going to make a Ninja Gundam, they should have used black. I think the color scheme blows ass on the Sparrow, and I was never a fan of the AGE-1 head and torso in the first place, but I would be receptive to the idea of a slim, EVA-esque Gundam design as long as it was better executed.

I can agree with this.

I don't know if it's the blue thats my problem. I think it's just the design is awkward, I mean if the ankels and feet along with the shoulders just look awful. That said the blue doesn't help it at all.

Next up - Reborns
Upcoming - Corin's Kapool, Duel Assault Buster, Efreet Custom, X-Divider, Gundam MK-II

oh shit FB is already out? I thought it was still in loc tests.

I knew about most of those, a solid list. I do think that we will see another G suit if their are more in the pipe though.

Ezalc

Next up - Reborns

I always thought the additions came in sets of 3? Not individually...

Ezalc

Something I don't understand is that 00 has a bunch of units, yet the one that Tieria used that was in the PSP game isn't in this one. And neither Arios nor Kyrios gundams have been playable but you have like all of Setsuna's gundams.

Beth Cyra

Something I don't understand is that 00 has a bunch of units, yet the one that Tieria used that was in the PSP game isn't in this one. And neither Arios nor Kyrios gundams have been playable but you have like all of Setsuna's gundams.
Setsuna is both the lead and a popular character.

Not to mention OO was still at it's high with he movie so it makes since to have all the suits he does.

All that said, I don't expect Setsuna's carryover to be as high as Amuro/Char/Kira when the next full sequel and they move away from Extreme.

Ezalc

Setsuna is both the lead and a popular character.

Not to mention OO was still at it's high with he movie so it makes since to have all the suits he does.

All that said, I don't expect Setsuna's carryover to be as high as Amuro/Char/Kira when the next full sequel and they move away from Extreme.

Well I know but I mean it just seems a bit like overkill.

Beth Cyra

Well I know but I mean it just seems a bit like overkill.
Given the time of release, the differences in suits and him being a lead it really should be expected.

What was odd was despite Ribbons and Reborns Gundam's popularity he didn't make the cut over MR Samurai or whatever his name is.

Dambrosi

Banned
Nobody likes Allelujah Haptism. Hell, I loathe Allelujah Haptism. He is not a Gundam.

Now, if you're bemoaning the lack of Kyrios in the game, that I can understand, but considering that to use Kyrios, you'd have to "be" Allelujah, I'd have to pass, personally.

That said, I doubt that 00 has the staying power of other AU series, particularly because of what the second season (and that awful movie) did to it.

Beth Cyra

Nobody likes Allelujah Haptism. Hell, I loathe Allelujah Haptism. He is not a Gundam.

Now, if you're bemoaning the lack of Kyrios in the game, that I can understand, but considering that to use Kyrios, you'd have to "be" Allelujah, I'd have to pass, personally.

That said, I doubt that 00 has the staying power of other AU series, particularly because of what the second season (and that awful movie) did to it.

This I disagree with actually.

I really think that going forward we will see OO take the spot of Wing and be the most used Gundam franchise that isn't apart of UC or CE. Granted I don't like OO, but thus far it has remained very popular and I don't really see it going to fall below Wing/G/Turn A and certainly not down to X or AGE level.

Tookay

I know a lot of Western Gundam fans turned against the show in the second season, but does this apply for Japanese fans as well?

Jubern

I wonder that as well. And as different from the first season and by-the-numbers as the second season was, I don't think I'll ever understand why so much people hate it. Seeing Dambrosi here talking about "what it did" to 00 really leaves me clueless. It was kind of a disappointment because of how season 1 turned out, but bad/terrible? Come on.

Now this is going to be divisive, but I also liked the movie. Conclusion was stupid but it was overall pretty solid. And while the second half dropped the ball because they needed BATTLES BATTLES BATTLES I seriously found the first half to be great: great mood, original and pretty interesting plot (for Gundam)... It basically went "downhill" (as in "Fuck plot, let's sell merchandise") when
they took the ghetto 00 Raiser out to be trashed and the new character died without doing anything

I still thought it was more coherent than CCA.

fake edit > Welp, took too long to write. Not sure if I should be sad or happy. Like S1 better but I'm sick of seeing people trash talking S2.

CCA is fairly coherent. Char goes back to being a jerk and Amuro tries to stop him. Both die in the process. Newtype drama repeats it self in the background.

I wonder that as well. And as different from the first season and by-the-numbers as the second season was, I don't think I'll ever understand why so much people hate it. Seeing Dambrosi here talking about "what it did" to 00 really leaves me clueless. It was kind of a disappointment because of how season 1 turned out, but bad/terrible? Come on.
I would most definitely call it bad because it made the last episodes of S1 to be pretty trivial apart from two things
(Alvatore destruction and formation of the Titans--err, A-LAWS). There were so many apparent deaths in those last couple of episodes it made me go "holy shit" at how Tomino it was. And then S2 comes and all but three of those deaths really happened (four if you count the ridiculous identical twin). Plus how silly the whole Innovators were. The Trans-Am was stupid though, and that was introduced in S1.

God I hate S2 for how it shat on everything S1 set up. -_-

Blader

I would most definitely call it bad because it made the last episodes of S1 to be pretty trivial apart from two things
(Alvatore destruction and formation of the Titans--err, A-LAWS). There were so many apparent deaths in those last couple of episodes it made me go "holy shit" at how Tomino it was. And then S2 comes and all but three of those deaths really happened (four if you count the ridiculous identical twin).

God I hate S2 for how it shat on everything S1 set up. -_-

Assuming you're talking about guys like Graham and Ali, they were still alive at the end of S1. S2 didn't suddenly retcon that.

I think Japan's generally positive reaction to OO S2, SEED and, to an extent, SEED Destiny show the difference in how we in the West, and they in Japan want their protagonists to act like.

It would be safe to assume that we prefer an underdog scenario where the protagonists who have to overcome great odds. This could be due to the fact that, in general, your average Western country can outmuscle most other countries militarily, be it by themselves or because of their various alliances with other powers, and they like to think that they struggle more than reality may suggest.

Whereas the Japanese prefer characters or groups who we would consider overpowered, (Celestial Being and S2 Setsuna in the OO Raiser, Clyne Faction and Kira in the Strike Freedom) using their great power as peacekeepers. I think this is rooted in the fact modern Japan can't go to war any more, as it's unconstitutional, and therefore lack that military influence on a global scale. Because of this, these characters or factions fulfill a fantasy for many Japanese people, in which they themselves can still do such things.

Assuming you're talking about guys like Graham and Ali, they were still alive at the end of S1. S2 didn't suddenly retcon that.
I'm still angry Colasaur did not die in battle. Yes they didn't outright show their deaths (although the beam did emit in Colasaur's cockpit...) but it was just so shitty for them to play up those awesome scenes only for them to be meaningless. :mad:

Beth Cyra

so anyone here have the MG God Gundam? Would you recommend it?

I don't own the G Gundam MG's but I've watched plenty of reviews for the kits.

God/Shinning/Master/Shadow all make use of screwes in the kits, and that has always put me off to getting them because I'm more a fan of the snap together kits. Though on the other side they have soft soles on the feet and can pull off some pretty dynamic poses, just becareful of moving them around to much because of how tight they can be, because of the screwes.

Hero

I have the second version of the MG God Gundam, it's pretty cool and super poseable. Very sleek compared to the original MG version.

Ounce you realize Season 2 is just dumb and buy into the action, it becomes pretty enjoyable.

Really though, season 2 of 00 is'nt that bad. Soma was bad though.

I think S1 is pretty much Best Gundam. But not because of it's action scenes. While they do avoid the "Pose and Spam" of Seed and latter S2, they are a bit short. Which I guess may be the point. They aren't flashy and honestly they seem as realistic as you can get with this type of show. Really Season 1 was a pretty realistically presented and well paced show.

Season 2 is all about Setsuna. Which is fine and he show's great development as a character. Going from strange emotionless boy, to more inspirational person. But Setsuna kind of peaks early, leaving you to watch a character that is kind of stagnate. He's developed, but the plot needs to keep going so well whatever. It's like they didn't run parallel. It would be ok if the support characters were solid. And they kind of are. Tieria continues to lose his stand-offish persona and really thats the best part of this show. Tieria is the best character. And while people attack Lockon 2 for being lame, which he kind of is. He is an ok character. He is'nt his brother and he does have different values. I mean you get that with his little interaction with Felt.
Now I never got why they had him kill Ali
, that seemed to go against the point that he wasn't living in the past like his brother, but maybe I'm just dumb. Now it's cool to have 2 characters that react differently to an important part of their lives. I think this could have been stressed more strongly though and maybe it would have been less tacky to not make them identical twins. Still he is a solid character even if the Anew thing is lame and stereotypical Gundam, which is probably why people like Season 2 more.

It has lamer villains, but they are villains who sit around talking about the future of man in super philosophical matters like typical Gundam villains. Really, the innovators are just kind of boring. I get it Ribbions, you are really into yourself. It didn't make for very compelling viewing and really unlike say Char, there was nothing sympathetic about their motives. You knew they were wrong, so you really didn't care about what they had to say. Yet they spent a lot of time saying it. They were just dicks who really were into themselves. They had no style.

And S2 has the lame star crossed lovers thing with Anew and Lockon. But I mean I felt pretty Gundam, which is also why it was boring. Also Anew just kind of sucked and really the entire time I just was yelling "don't you idiots see she is an innovator"!. Besides we had the drama between Saji and Louise, which is also the best part of 00. And S2 honestly uses them pretty effectively. S1 Saji is the "how CB is effecting an average person" and really he makes for some solid story telling mechanics. It makes the world and events more down to earth as you see how it effects someone who is'nt a mobile suit pilot. I mean sure what happen to him was larger then life, but still for a giant robot show it was good. And well I like what happens to him and Louise in S2. It makes for a good counter point to CB to see Louise all fucked up. It was annoying to watch as she basically whinned and seemed useless most of the time, but hey at least the show's heart was in the right place. I also liked Saji in S2. It was nice to see a character who had good reason to dislike CB, but also come to some rational thinking about the matter and then act on it. He really maned up in my opinion.

But I do think S2 really underutilized Ali Al Sarches, who I think is the most fun villain in 00. He basically does nothing, but stand around and I guess be a hired thug. He seemed to have some motivation and goals in S1. While he did just seemed to be a person who was using the system for really nothing big, at least it seemed his actions were of his own accord. He doesn't go anywhere in S2. Kind of disappointing.

I also dislike Soma. Soma was cool and then she becomes incredibly lame. Then she goes back to being cool and back to being lame. Her development was just kind of shitty. Just like he BF. I'm sorry AL is the most uninteresting character. I get it, you have a split personality and this dark traumatic event. You seemed to get over it in S1, but then your split persona comes back. Oh boy. oh and you also want to bang Marie. It just seemed to be a constant back and forth with him and in S2 it just seemed to a repeat of the same arc for him in S1. Eh just didn't care.

Also I think Ghram was kind of lame in S2. While I guess they were trying to show another effect of CB on someone. The entire Mr Bushido thing was kind of lame and not really fitting. Still, pretty much every fight with him was cool.

I don't know. I do like aspects of S2. But it does get pretty crazy, but it's pretty usual Gundam crazy. It also seemed pretty straight forward and lacking in surprises. S1 felt very mysterious and the plot had lots of twists and directions. S2 just kind of goes in obvious places.

Ezalc

Setsuna was boring. I don't see how he developed at all, he was always the unattached guy that wants to become one with his machine or something because of what happened (something he'll never be able to do because G's mobile trace system will always be the closest the pilot can get to "being Gundam"). So all that happens is that he gets 10 different suits, continues to use everybody's full name in every scene even after being with these people for years. He didn't get anywhere with that one princess or president or whatever she was who pretty much wanted to be with him but they were too tsundere about it the entire time. It's just frustrating, oh and Ali was incredibly dull in S2 but I only dislike him because of Lockon Stratos.

Setsuna was boring.I don't see how he developed at all, he was always the unattached guy that
Not to me. A traumatized soldier is pretty interesting. There's the scene where he is calm while sitting on a bench while there's chaos going on. A dream, but the point is he is very damaged goods. While obviously this deception of a child soldier could be a lot better, it still makes for a solid character. To say he has no development, I'm not sure. He defently learns to be less stand offish thanks to Lockon. And in S2 his character becomes more assertive in his actions. You see that in how he takes charge and deals with Saji. He kind of takes on the Lockon role with Saji, which is not something he would have done in S1.

wants to become one with his machine or something because of what happened (something he'll never be able to do because G's mobile trace system will always be the closest the pilot can get to "being Gundam").
That's not really what this means. Setsuna sees the Gundam as a symbolic thing and it becomes kind of his god because well for him God must have abondend him/dosent exists. So to become Gundam, he means to take on the values he asscioates with the Gundam. Which of course means taking up justice.

So all that happens is that he gets 10 different suits,
? He has two. 3 by that terrible movie.

continues to use everybody's full name in every scene even after being with these people for years.
That's just the way he is. He is a detached person, which makes sense as he is a cold person thanks to being a child soldier. It's just an exaggerated character trait.

He didn't get anywhere with that one princess or president or whatever she was who pretty much wanted to be with him but they were too tsundere about it the entire time.
I also find her character to be shitty and pointless. But I also don't understand where they were going. But pretty much after the first arc with her in S1 I really did'nt get any romantic angle with them. So it did'nt really bother me. I also don't know what tsundere means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom