• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Making a UC TV series doesn't make sense. There's a serious disconnect with the core audience. UC fans are generally adults in their late 20s to early 40s. These are not people who generally care to follow year long series with average production values and then buy blu-rays for the entire series monthly as the discs are released. instead the audience are the type who are more discerning when it comes to purchases, preferring quality over quantity. They are the main market for MG models and PG models, and quality OVAs and theatrical movies.

By making a UC TV series, Sunrise stands to put themselves in another lose-lose position where the younger audience who watch TV and the people who tend to buy TV anime aren't interested because it is before their time or not appealing enough for their tastes, and the UC fans who would spent a lot of money on stuff like MG kits and Unicorn aren't interested because the format is wrong.

Bebpo

Banned
They could do UC if it's flashy UC.

I still think that's why Unicorn is so successful, because it combines UC style with the flashy SEED-ish laser spam and overpowered suit designs. It's also so far after everything UC, it doesn't really feel like a traditional UC show.

If they did a UC series that was after Unicorn and before Victory that mixed flash with military grit, it could be successful.

duckroll

I still think that's why Unicorn is so successful, because it combines UC style with the flashy SEED-ish laser spam and overpowered suit designs. It's also so far after everything UC, it doesn't really feel like a traditional UC show.

If they did a UC series that was after Unicorn and before Victory that mixed flash with military grit, it could be successful.

Sunrise TV series? Flashy?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Again, obvious solution: Make more G Gundam

You get flashy fights, and a huge number of sellable mecha for toys and model kits. Just add more angst for the fangirls and make Gainax animate it.

Blader

Everything about this post is giving me a headache. :\

Beth Cyra

Fuuuuuuuu. Not cool. You know what would be crazy? If they are somehow using this to gauge interest in Crossbone Gundam.

AGE would need an audience to gauge first before Bandai could attempt that.

Seriously though, I had a good laugh when I first saw that guy on Gundamguy. Well at least now when people make comparisons between AGE and Crossbone they actually have a real foundation to do so.

Blader

One of the AGE mangas follows the pirate group Visidian, which they're from and shows Asemu in AGE 2 meeting up with the guy who controls the G-EXES Jackedge (the second one below).

They're definitely no Crossbone Vanguard, but sigh... I'll take it. ;__;

Looks like a boss from Star Fox 64

Beth Cyra

Well the Justice RG is looking pretty good. Doubt I will get it because of all th SEED I've gotten lately, but still pretty awesome.

The colored Blitz is nice, and given it was the only GAT Gundam I really liked I will probably go back on what I just said. Buster on the other hand, looks good despite it being in the grey form, that said I will never pick it up given I hated that Gundam and it's pilot.

The HGUC ReGez with the Defensor B is freaking way bigger then I was expecting. Might actually grab that bad boy. Never believed it would happen, but still I'm sad they didn't announce/have a Tallgeese, well just wait till the next show and hope I guess.

Divvy

The colored Blitz is nice, and given it was the only GAT Gundam I really liked I will probably go back on what I just said. Buster on the other hand, looks good despite it being in the grey form, that said I will never pick it up given I hated that Gundam and it's pilot.

He betrayed his nation in order to bang a girl, and they ended up breaking up anyways. If anything he's the most realistic character on that show.

Beth Cyra

Did forget one thing.

MG AGE-2 I have no interest in and will never buy it, but it's MG did renew my hope for AGE-3 and that Bandai will be able to make it's body and legs work together and look great in model form.

Divvy

Did forget one thing.

MG AGE-2 I have no interest in and will never buy it, but it's MG did renew my hope for AGE-3 and that Bandai will be able to make it's body and legs work together and look great in model form.

I'm hoping they do a good job as well. I wouldn't mind picking up an Orbital AGE3. It already looks great in model kit form:

iKrTAIlwzBNPC.png

Beth Cyra

I'm hoping they do a good job as well. I wouldn't mind picking up an Orbital AGE3. It already looks great in model kit form:

iKrTAIlwzBNPC.png

Yeah Orbital would be the one wear I would get. As it is, I doubt I would go Fortress but when it's time for MG AGE-3 Normal and Orbital, I might be tempted to pick both of them up.

Bebpo

Banned
Those pirate designs are some of the most insultingly bad mech designs I've ever seen. I guess the mech designs peaked with AGE2.

It just looks like Seraphim Gundam (Seravee's Backpack Gundam in OO S2) but even dumber.

Beth Cyra

Those pirate designs are some of the most insultingly bad mech designs I've ever seen. I guess the mech designs peaked with AGE2.

It just looks like Seraphim Gundam (Seravee's Backpack Gundam in OO S2) but even dumber.

Thank god it was just me. I know I hate on AGE Mecha alot, but jesus those are even worse then normal.

Rumour has it HGAC kits start this year and Tallgeese is a September release.

Really now?

I know Bandai metioned they were happy with the HGFC line so I figured they would stay focused on G Gundam for a good while.

Honestly at this point I would be very happy to see the HGAC line, lord knows getting any more MG Wing's are unlikely for a while and almost zero chance for years when it comes to the RG's.

Plus we might finally get to see some of the G Unit suits or some of the Wing MSV like Seraphim get a model release.

Beth Cyra

I think it's the AGE-2 with a makeover.

Yeah, but they made it worse. At least to me AGE-2 was the worst of the three AGE Normal's so I'm not really being fair to thing.

Just saw the Gundam Wing Endless Waltz MG Fall announcement, so I really think that rumor about HGAC isn't going to happen. Unless they focus on TVAC over EW style, but given how hard they have been pushing EW and the MG's in the fall I just don't see it happening.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy the kits and even preorder 2 of the TG's but I just can't believe they would overload Wing that much in the fall.

Also, AGE-1 Razor is actually the best thing out of AGE. Don't care for AGE-1 but that wear looks amazing, hopefully AGE-3 gets a cool extra like the Razor.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2012-05-15/gundam-age-game-gets-2-versions-with-different-guest-mecha

The Mobile Suit Gundam AGE game for the PSP system will ship on August 9 in two different versions: Universe Accel and Cosmic Drive. The Universe Accel version will offer the first Gundam anime's RX-78-2 Gundam and other mobile suits from the Universal Century timeline as guest units in the game's cross-play missions. Cosmic Drive will offer mobile suits from Gundam 00, Gundam Seed and other series.

Both versions will offer game-original mobile sut configurations that the player can pilot — specifically, unique G-ware components to outfit the player's mobile suit: Sutaakusu with explosive speed, the samurai-like Zantetsu with blades, and the Fenikisu with phoenix-like wings.

Hino fishing for dem extra sales for AGE.

And my download of Unicorn episode 5 shat out on me with it being corrupted data in the middle of the episode. Gonna redownload through PSN again... stupid throttled speeds. =(

Beth Cyra

Don't know if I would pick up either of the Age games, but if I did it would probably be Cosmic if it included stuff from Wing in the "other series."

Tookay

Just finished UC ep 5...

Thought it was great. I know someone here voiced concerns that the animation quality had lowered based on a 30 second trailer, but I don't think that was the case at all. Still just as good-looking as ever. The end-game plot has finally been set up, and I like where it's going, though I have some problems with it (still don't love Banagher's pacifistic stance, but he became a much better, more proactive character this episode). I can tell that SEED detractors are going to have problems with it though because it's becoming a UC version of it
(aforementioned Kira-like protagonist + band of misfits from both sides join together to fight off two extremist factions, with a dash of space magic).
The music and fan-servicey aspects remain awesome. And in general, you can tell this is something of a labor of love on the part of the director and writing team; it treats Tomino's universe and concepts in a respectful way, even better than he himself has treated it sometimes.

Going to be hard to wait a year...

Jubern

Really nice episode indeed, a big step-up from 4.

Spoilers of the episode and some novel comparison stuff ahead.

I only had a problem with the almost total lack of tension of the escape part, this was kinda strange.

In the novel, all hell break loose with the Garuda being utterly destroyed by the Unicorn/Banshee's fight. Martha escapes in the shuttle (who actually gets off) but Alberto stays behind, kinda trying to save Marida who he grew fond of.
Also, Ankshas are roaming all over the place but actually do something. When Marida breaks free of the control and start to get out of the Banshee, an Anksha gets out and take a shot at it, wounding Marida pretty badly. Her and Zinnerman spend what would be the rest of the episode in the Unicorn's cockpit, because they just don't have the time to go back inside the Garencières. They stumble across Alberto who Banagher tries to save (at this point, the Garuda is falling), but the guy won't have it and rather shoot at the freaking Gundam. At the end of the novel, we see he's been saved by Riddhe (who's Delta Plus is alright), the Banshee having been recovered by an Anksha.
At this point, the Nahel Argama is getting in position, it's exactly the same as in the anime for them. But the Garencières crew don't know anything about it and only receive a transmission at the last moment. It takes Banagher and Mineva to convince them it's not a trap, and the remaining events unfolds as in the anime. Minus the last battle which does not happen in volume 7.

When everything he said and done, it's a much better adaptation than episode 4.

Also, it looks like they tried to make Bright more relevant in the anime.
In the novel he doesn't let Banagher escape and never contacts the Garencières. It was kinda nice I guess, but kinda gave a SEED-ish feel to the episode^^'

Tookay

Really nice episode indeed, a big step-up from 4.

Agreed. Seems clear to me that the problems with 4 were a result of trying to cram too much into a 6 episode structure. Entire character arcs and developments got truncated, which made some of their actions feel more contrived than natural.

Interviews with Furuhashi made it sound like he was aware of it midway through the series but too much was already in motion to stop it at that point without scrapping everything and starting over. With the series being extended, I don't think they'll have that problem again.

Finally got to Gundam Seed HD 14 kind of felt I needed to rewatch 13 for one minor thing. But shoot out that power, Gundam (General Unilateral Neuro-Link Dispersive Automatic Maneuver...), that cant be canon, no other Gundam mentioned it. The first OP was vastly superior. And worst they are using dead characters in the OP
Yzak for one
, why?

Informative recap or dive into history, though failed to explain why people would be against coordinators, if I was in universe, I wouldnt mind if I gave my offspring the chance to be coordinators, why hate others for it?

And Flay
making moves on Kira is killing me. For canon, He would be better with Lacus or even that other girl from way in the beginning, dont understand what is motivating Flay and the preview is even worst about it.

And Gundam Age 32
Pretty weak episode. The spy was as obvious last episode and with only really being around for an episode, there was no time to even form any sort of emotional attachment to them. Nice for the fights to be on the Earth...but I think fighting in space, ie fighting to defend Big Ring a long time ago, shows the true glory of Gundams better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom