• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds familiar to me also - although I remembered it as being all of Sunrise's shows (arguably the same thing :p ). Sunrise wouldn't agree however but compromised and let him use all the Gundam shows instead. A quick google search couldn't corroborate this though, sorry! :-/

If wikipedia (or the Gundam Wikia) is to be believed however, there is a "Black History" section at the start of the Universal Century Gundam Officials Encyclopedia which was "unearthed" in the year 1993 of the Correct Century and dates the Universal Century roughly 3000 years prior to the events of Turn A.

Make of that what you will!
The only stuff I found was interviews with Tomino around 2002,saying he wanted to do a sequel/spiritual sequel to Turn A called Turn A Space, possibly uniting more of his works, but no one seems to agree. They all seem to be from after Turn A came out, though.

I'm now convinced that Turn A Space has become G Reko.

Beth Cyra

The only stuff I found was interviews with Tomino around 2002,saying he wanted to do a sequel/spiritual sequel to Turn A called Turn A Space, possibly uniting more of his works, but no one seems to agree. They all seem to be from after Turn A came out, though.

I'm now convinced that Turn A Space has become G Reko.

Given Turn A's reception I can't say I'm shocked that a advancement of that didn't go over well with higher ups.

Granted I'm not the biggest Tomino fan, but still it would have been interesting to see where he took a Turn A follow up.

Edit: Actually thinking more on it, I'm kinda glad. I suffered through Overman King Gainer and it kinda killed my desire to ever see anything by the man again.

Given Turn A's reception I can't say I'm shocked that a advancement of that didn't go over well with higher ups.

Granted I'm not the biggest Tomino fan, but still it would have been interesting to see where he took a Turn A follow up.

Edit: Actually thinking more on it, I'm kinda glad. I suffered through Overman King Gainer and it kinda killed my desire to ever see anything by the man again.
I watched one or two episodes of Gainer and gave up. I'm worried that if I actually watch the show, I'll end up hating the opening song, which would be a travesty.

I think Tomino's work has some issues, but I'm a huge sucker for Turn A and I really think it's just about perfect. I don't understand the desire to use that universe for another story though, I don't really get what the point of that would be.

Man my opinion of 00 has changed so much the last few days after watching it just thinking back .
Definitely don't hate the second half of season 1 as much as I did while watching, dislike the movie more.
Lockon who were my favorite characters while watching have lowered with Allelujah&Soma passing them by alot.
Mech designs keep growing on me, Virtue is the only design I still hate.

Gundam Wing > 0080=00 > 0083 >>>>> G Gundam

Still got alot more to watch but thats my feelings right now.

Ezalc

Man my opinion of 00 has changed so much the last few days after watching it just thinking back .
Definitely don't hate the second half of season 1 as much as I did while watching, dislike the movie more.
Lockon who were my favorite characters while watching have lowered with Allelujah&Soma passing them by alot.
Mech designs keep growing on me, Virtue is the only design I still hate.

Gundam Wing > 0080=00 > 0083 >>>>> G Gundam

Still got alot more to watch but thats my feelings right now.

Another heathen.

Beth Cyra

i dont like G Gundam either, but 00 > G Gundam? whoa.
I'm kinda with him. Granted I've only watched 4 or so eps of 00 and I disliked it, but G Gundam is only above AGE and Destiny at this point.

Weirdly I've come to like Domon but only when you divorce him from the series proper. The rest of the cast is pure garbage and while the story is meant to be lighter and more crazy I just found it dumb and boring.

I only finished G because I already dropped cash on the series.

Ezalc

I'm kinda with him. Granted I've only watched 4 or so eps of 00 and I disliked it, but G Gundam is only above AGE and Destiny at this point.

Weirdly I've come to like Domon but only when you divorce him from the series proper. The rest of the cast is pure garbage and while the story is meant to be lighter and more crazy I just found it dumb and boring.

Schwarz Bruder is the best thing about G. It still sounds like you were too serious about the series. It's just dumb fun and should be seen as such. From the hilariously stereotypical Gundams to the utter ridiculousness of the fights and characters. It's story is terrible, the characters are all kind of shallow, and the Gundams are all broken as fuck, but that's what makes it the best. And because it still has the best piloting method of any gundam oh and of course Schwarz WITH THE HELP OF KYOUJI Bruder.

Beth Cyra

Schwarz Bruder is the best thing about G. It still sounds like you were too serious about the series. It's just dumb fun and should be seen as such. From the hilariously stereotypical Gundams to the utter ridiculousness of the fights and characters. It's story is terrible, the characters are all kind of shallow, and the Gundams are all broken as fuck, but that's what makes it the best. And because it still has the best piloting method of any gundam oh and of course Schwarz WITH THE HELP OF KYOUJI Bruder.

Okay, I will admit that Schwarz and Speigel are amazing. I tend for forget about him despite liking him.

Also I have to say, I'm not nearly as big a fan about the piloting system as many people seem to be. I actually much prefer the console style setup from UC/Wing Ect over the G System.

As for it being dumb fun, I just didn't get that. Even Sailor Moon with it's enemy of the week didn't boil down Usagi going Hot Blood and spamming the same move for like 35 episodes. I just got so tired of seeing God/Shinning Finger and it ruins everything because of how predictable it was.

Droog

How is your Japanese? It's very dense and full of kanji, not a lot of pictures. It really is a gigantic 900 page encyclopedia covering everything between U.C. 0079-0083.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4063301109/

Not cheap either, apparently. I got mine at a Book Off in Vancouver, BC a few years ago for $35 somehow.

Hmm, it sounds interesting. My Japanese is not the best though. I think I will need to see one in person before deciding but thanks for sharing your knowledge! I'll probably scour a few second hand shops also next time the chance comes up!

I think G's okay, but for me it's something so completely different from the rest of Gundam that I have a hard time comparing it to anything. What I do really like about it is some of the reaaaally out there mech designs that show up (especially the Nether Gundam). I wouldn't call it high art or anything but I thought it was more or less a fun show.

Beyond my absolute favorite and least favorite series, I have a pretty hard time ranking Gundam. What I know for sure is X, Turn A and Zeta are my top 3 while AGE and Destiny are at the bottom. Everything else kind of falls in the middle for me and tends to depend on what I've most recently watched.

Ezalc

Okay, I will admit that Schwarz and Speigel are amazing. I tend for forget about him despite liking him.

Also I have to say, I'm not nearly as big a fan about the piloting system as many people seem to be. I actually much prefer the console style setup from UC/Wing Ect over the G System.

As for it being dumb fun, I just didn't get that. Even Sailor Moon with it's enemy of the week didn't boil down Usagi going Hot Blood and spamming the same move for like 35 episodes. I just got so tired of seeing God/Shinning Finger and it ruins everything because of how predictable it was.

Maybe you're not such a heretic after all.

I understand people enjoying the classic control system of gundam, but I just enjoy G's because you really become the Gundam. Not that bullshit that Setsuna kept spouting. If you are a Gundam Pilot in G, you can probably handle yourself outside of your gundam as well. It's also great that most of them don't have the thing where they just end up being the gundam pilot they're specifically chosen for their skills (Everybody knows Fuunsaiki could fuck shit up).

I guess I could see where it could get repetitive, then again I just chalk it up to being the signature move. Hero always has to bust that out and kick ass.

I've never done any model building before for fear of cocking it up, but I was checking out some unrelated stuff on HLJ and one thing lead to another and I found myself looking at Gunpla. Have ordered the 1/144 HGUC Operation V set and Zaku II. These're meant to be pretty good choices for beginners, right? Should be fun.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I've never done any model building before for fear of cocking it up, but I was checking out some unrelated stuff on HLJ and one thing lead to another and I found myself looking at Gunpla. Have ordered the 1/144 HGUC Operation V set and Zaku II. These're meant to be pretty good choices for beginners, right? Should be fun.

Gunpla is pretty hard to mess up. Just don't try using excessive force for anything and you should be golden.

Beth Cyra

HGUC tend to be pretty good for starters with only a select few being an exception.

Overall as mentioned just relax, and even if a part breaks or you cut a bit deep things are usually still okay and it's good stuff to learn and get a feel for.

Just becareful, shit can be super addicting. 5 master grades and three HG's in the last month :(.

Beth Cyra

Episodes 44 & 45 of G Gundam are easily two of the best episodes in the Gundamverse, straight up.
Honestly I can't remember what those are.

I actually thought G got worse as it went along. Kinda want to check out the manga remake as I've heard a few things that sound amazing.

Honestly I can't remember what those are.

I actually thought G got worse as it went along. Kinda want to check out the manga remake as I've heard a few things that sound amazing.
Kyoji/Schwarz and Master Asia die.

G dips back and forth in quality throughout the series, but those episodes capped off that particular story line extremely well. Man tears.

iqtp5VQCY80MS.gif

Beth Cyra

Speaking of G, I've think it's about time now that I got AGE-2 Normal move onto some of the other series I don't really care for.

I bought the HGFC God, but I kinda want to get all the leads to match the 30Th Ann Vid and that means I need to grab God. Thing is I've avoided it up until now simply because of the screws, is the tightness/build a pain because of them? I only ask because if I do ever pick up God I would grab Speigel as well which I want far more in MG then God.

If Spegiel is good I would love to have him, Tallgeese II and a G Bouncer to eventaully be a seperate group of MG's for characters that I actually liked from series that have terrible casts.

Beth Cyra

Finally finished building my Beginning Gundam.

I know I'm not the target for Beginning G, but damn these designs are bad. Thankfully I just got B Gundam for 10 bucks, but even after the thrill of building it I just can't enjoy this guy.

Well at least HGUC Unicorn Destroy mode is showing up tomorrow and then AGE-2 Special Forces so hopefully that will wash the bad taste out of my mouth.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
AGE spoilers:

Eczelcant you stupid fucking asshole. If you could move your goddamn colony why didn't you do it so everyone including your stupid son wouldn't die from the Mars rays?

Beth Cyra

AGE spoilers:

Eczelcant you stupid fucking asshole. If you could move your goddamn colony why didn't you do it so everyone including your stupid son wouldn't die from the Mars rays?
This show has so many things like this where I'm just WTF??!! It really shocks me when people love it and actually think it's decent/good story telling.

No offense DTL.

Age 44

I think they are making the ending really obvious and predictable
They virtually repeated the phrase and things related to "understanding" so many times. Based on the personalities of the people in charge, some probable peaceful resolution will be made, which based on the other gundams ive seen, will be different than the usual.

Plot
With Zehearto incharge of Eden and Kio and Asemu on the same page, as well as Asemu and Zehearto's outstanding issues and actual abilitiy to work together, I think a peaceful solution will be found for the Vegan, Earth, and Eden issue. However Flit, well Flit may just die if he is that revenge focused

Dambrosi

Banned
AGE 44

MASSIVE SPOILERS ABOUND PLEASE DUCKROLL DON'T BAN ME

Ezelcant: Now Zeheart, you know you've always been like a son to me--

Zeheart: Yeah, never mind that, what's this I hear about you choosing the Master Race? What, are you trying to be
Hitler
God?

Ezelcant: Look, I'm dying here, and I'm handing the keys to the Smexy Gundam over to you. Are you happy now?

Zeheart: Oh Lord Ezelcant, you know you've always been like a father to me...<3

Ezelcant: ...you are so easily manipulated, you know that, right?

Scientist: *knocks on giant test tube with naked guy inside* Yo, Gym Ghingham, you're up.

Meanwhile...
Flitler: What? Enemy prisoners? Just kill 'em all! It was good enough for 1970s Tomino, wasn't it?

Yellowbeard: Yeah, it was good enough for Stalin and Pol Pot, too. Yeesh. Anyway, we Space Pirates are gonna help out during the fainaru battoru, so there.

Flitler: Meh. Do whatever you like, just don't get in my way when I'm killing Vagans.

Annoying Brat: *suddenly appears* WAAAAAAH NO GRANDAD U CAN'T DO DAT Y CANT U LERN 2 UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER U USED 2 B KIND AND GUD Y U SO SALTY GRAMPS WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH *runs away, not to be seen in this episode again*

Yellowbeard: ...

Flitler: ...

Yellowbeard: ...uhm, yeah...what...ever it was he just said. *walks away, confused*

Flitler: *leans on window, a younger Flit reflected in it* But I just wanted to be a saviour...am I really doing the right thing? I--

Young Flit in the window: Don't you DARE get weak on me, you little pussy bitch! We said we'd fuck over the Vagan together, and that's exactly what we're gonna do, capische? Remember that generic purple-haired girl we knew for a week back in the day? We're doing this for her, dammit! Now pull yourself back up by your bootstraps, buck up your ideas, and act like the evil genocidal maniac you know you can be, God DAMN you!

Flitler: Uh--yes, yes, of course. Thanks for that, I'd almost forgotten what a total bastard I'd become. Ho well, back to killing Martians!

Young Flit in the window: *cackles* I AM A SHADOW, THE TRUE SELF *eyes glow menacingly*

Later...

Zeheart: *piloting Smexy Gundam* Whee! What a sweet ride! Thanks, Poppa 'Cant! I'll love this Suit forever!

*Suddenly, a Mobile Armour appears before Zeheart, lays down a giant ghetto blaster, hits PLAY on the tape deck, and works it out on the floor*

Zeheart: Oh, NO you di'int! You did NOT! jus' SERVE me! Vagan - it's TIME to REPRESEN--

Titlecard: TO BE CONTINUED

Zeheart: --ah, fuck.

END OF MASSIVE SPOILERS PLEASE DUCKROLL DON'T BAN ME

Six episodes to go, they better be wrapping this shit up.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/biglobe-poll-best-gundam-tv-series.html

Gundam 00, Gundam W, Turn A Gundam lead the results
[News via AnimeNewsNetwork]
The Japanese Internet service provider BIGLOBE posted the results on Friday of a survey on the best "Heisei Gundam" television series. This is not an official BIGLOBE survey, but a survey conducted by a user named "Jude Saijaku" under BIGLOBE's Anime Ranking Maker system.

The poll is specifically limited to Gundam television series that aired in 1989 (Heisei 1 in the Japanese calendar system) or later, so such titles as Gundam 0080, Gundam 0083, Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Gundam W: Endless Waltz, Gundam MS IGLOO, and Gundam UC are out of the running.

Among the 4,446 self-selected responses from users of BIGLOBE's Anime One portal site, these were the top 9 choices:

1 - Gundam 00
2 - Wing
3 - Turn A
4 - X
5 - G
6 - V
7 - AGE (wut)
8 - Seed
9 - Seed Destiny

Gundam 00 is the best Gundam series I watched.

I finished Seed and Destiny last week, Destiny was a confusing mediocre shit. Seed was good, but would be great without Kira.

duckroll

Guys, this is a Biglobe poll. It's about as meaningful as a poll put up on Crunchyroll or something. You don't even need to be in Japan to vote. :p

I was under the impression SEED was well-liked in Japan, didn't its DVDs break records or something?

What odd poll results.

Polls mean very little, like Newtype polls which are often influenced by what is currently playing and popular. SEED and it's characters were all over the tops of a bunch of polls when it was still new

Dambrosi

Banned
So, disregarding 00 because it's the shiny new one out of the bunch and most voters would subconsciously pick that one by default, the real winners here are Wing and Turn A, right?

Because I have no objection to any of those rankings except for 00 being number 1.

Though, again, polls are meaningless, especially anime/otaku magazine popularity polls, etc.

Droog

Polls mean very little, like Newtype polls which are often influenced by what is currently playing and popular. SEED and it's characters were all over the tops of a bunch of polls when it was still new

Apparently this is only a user poll, rather than an official Biglobe one, which makes this one mean very little indeed I suspect. The number of votes for the series in positions though 2-5 are very close actually, less than 50 separate them. Nice to see Turn A get some recognition though!

Mrcapcom

AGE spoilers:

You know I just figured maybe A. Took awhile for it to be built or moved B. Took awhile to fuel C. Elzcant didn't want anyone but himself to move it D. Didn't have Tech to move till now (I believe a each cryo tank sleep the Vagans jumped in technology right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom