• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droog

I have no idea what that is, so I'll look into it as well.

Sorry for my assuming! Zeonic Front was an awesome PS2 game where you controlled a crack Zeon squad (the aforementioned Midnight Fenrir team) based on Earth during the One Year War.

Ezalc

Sorry for my assuming! Zeonic Front was an awesome PS2 game where you controlled a crack Zeon squad (the aforementioned Midnight Fenrir team) based on Earth during the One Year War.

Definitely looking into this, Midnight Fenrir is an awesome name. I assume that by awesome the game is actually good? Also did it come out in English?

Droog

Definitely looking into this, Midnight Fenrir is an awesome name. I assume that by awesome the game is actually good? Also did it come out in English?

Yes to both. It plays a bit like Rainbow Six (and by this I mean the original Rainbow Six from like 10 years ago) so it's a bit slower paced but quite tactical shooter.

Here's the intro movie.

Is Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 worth getting as a first Gundam game?
only other one I have played is Battle Operation from the Japanese PSN.

Outside of Japanese-only releases, this is a pretty good choice. It's easily my favorite of the Gundam Musou games. However, if you can get Gundam Extreme VS that would be the best choice by far.

Is Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 worth getting as a first Gundam game?
only other one I have played is Battle Operation from the Japanese PSN.
DWG3 is mindless fun.

Although DWG3 has a much larger cast of characters, I liked the first DW better because the story mode gave you some idea of the settings/characters (I played it before I had watched much UC gundam) and the Original story mode or whatever that has Milliardo, Domon and a Puru running around was freaking hilarious.

DWG3 is probably the better choice, I guess. I personally really like what I've played of the SD Gundam series, but they're untranslated Japanese SRPGs, so they require heavier thinking (or faq reading). SRW is also a must if you like SRPGs, a couple of them have been fan-translated and Gundam usually features pretty heavily. The Another Century's Episode series is also a blast, but again, Japanese-only, and it's not just Gundam. It's not just a mindless button masher, flying is actually pretty varied and fun, and you can have Master Asia and Gym perform a dual shining/darkness finger attack, which is the coolest thing ever.

Sorry if that's more info than you wanted, heh.

Jubern

For those who asked about Gundam Wing - Glory of Losers, I suggest you do a simple Google search. It'll net you the wanted results.

page002-003.jpg

(I really doubt I can just drop scantrads links in here)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Seriously? I love the Wing Katoki.
Then again, I've never been big on Okawara.

I wish they just got Katoki to design every single mobile suit rather than whoever does weaksauce designs of AGE and 00 second season. I guess his designs are too hard to animate or something. Meh.

Beth Cyra

I wish they just got Katoki to design every single mobile suit rather than whoever does weaksauce designs of AGE and 00 second season. I guess his designs are too hard to animate or something. Meh.

Well he did alot Unicorn+ Tallgeese so I really dout thats the problem.

I also find him amazing and that is why before I even touched

I will also say Glory is really good. Even Wing detractors might want to give the first volume or two a shot. If you out right hated it it won't change your mind, however if you thought it had potentail but just didn't live up to it, then it could win you over. I know a few people that the anime just didn't work but have enjoyed Glory quite a bit.

Also, I say check out Crossbone, but not for Tobia, you need to do it for Seabook.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well he did all of Unicorn so I doubt that really the problem.

I also find him amazing and that is why before I even touched the novels or the OVA's I knew Unicorn would be one of my favorites because he is an amazing mecha designer.

I will also say Glory is really good. Even Wing detractors might want to give the first volume or two a shot. If you out right hated it it won't change your mind, however if you thought it had potentail but just didn't live up to it, then it could win you over. I know a few people that the anime just didn't work but have enjoyed Glory quite a bit.

Also, I say check out Crossbone, but not for Tobia, you need to do it for Seabook.

Well Unicorn is a pretty special case scenario. There would be no way for them to produce something with designs that intricate for a show that airs weekly.

And yeah, Glory is amazing, even purely for the amazingly rendered Katoki designs. Also for less Relena, but that's a given.

Jubern

Agreed on the line about Wing haters since, well, I never liked Wing but REALLY dig Glory of Losers. Such an improvement on the series.

And also agreed about Seabook. He's just awesome in Crossbone Gundam, and became one of my favourite Gundam lead. Crossbone is far from perfect and judging from some of the reactions I'd even say it's a little overrated, but it's a fun ride alright. And it's follow-up, Steel 7, is very good, and certainly more even that the original Crossbone.

I'd love Sunrise to give another shot at the Formula series and do something like a 50 ep series with a F91 remake w/ a real ending (the war after the movie ending and how Cosmo Babylonia ultimately failed), followed by Crossbone and maybe concluded by Steel 7. All of those with a unified artstyle (preferably more akin to F91's than Crossbone's...) and a coherent pace, now that they have all the pieces of the puzzle.
It'll never happen.

Ezalc

Quick question, was there ever a timeline debate here on GAF? How did that turn out?

EDIT: @above: I would love for that to happen too because I watched the F91 movie and everything went by so fast that I didn't understand any of it.

Beth Cyra

Well Unicorn is a pretty special case scenario. There would be no way for them to produce something with designs that intricate for a show that airs weekly.

And yeah, Glory is amazing, even purely for the amazingly rendered Katoki designs. Also for less Relena, but that's a given.

While it's ture that Unicorn is specail Katoki still does some amazing work that can be used normal 50 Ep shows. Honestly when I go back to Wing, Tallgeese while simple in alot of ways is probably the suit that stands out the most as still being very amazing.

Overall I would just love to Katoki do a full cast list for the next show. Easily my favorite mecha designer.

Quick question, was there ever a timeline debate here on GAF? How did that turn out?

EDIT: @above: I would love for that to happen too because I watched the F91 movie and everything went by so fast that I didn't understand any of it.

What exactly is there to debate?

UC timeline is pretty iron clad given you have crossover characters like old man Judau.

Do you mean for the Correct Century and in what order UC, FC, AC, ME, AW lead into CC?

F91 was simple, perhaps rewatch it. The issue with F91 was that the events of the movie take place over several days and the movie just moves from scene to scene without reference of time lapse. But there wasn't really much at all to the plot

Ezalc

What exactly is there to debate?

UC timeline is pretty iron clad given you have crossover characters like old man Judau.

Do you mean for the Correct Century and in what order UC, FC, AC, ME, AW lead into CC?

I mean like wasn't there speculation of which series (the ones outside UC) take place after/before in regards to UC. You have UC where you have the earth pretty much ruling the colonies while in at least G Gundam you have the colonies being the ones in charge, that's AC right? I forgot which one it was. Maybe I'm just crazy.

F91 was simple, perhaps rewatch it. The issue with F91 was that the events of the movie take place over several days and the movie just moves from scene to scene without reference of time lapse. But there wasn't really much at all to the plot

I read that it was supposed to be a series and I think it really shows since not many characters get a chance to develop and you just get things thrown at you without any sort of break.

I'd love Sunrise to give another shot at the Formula series and do something like a 50 ep series with a F91 remake w/ a real ending (the war after the movie ending and how Cosmo Babylonia ultimately failed), followed by Crossbone and maybe concluded by Steel 7. All of those with a unified artstyle (preferably more akin to F91's than Crossbone's...) and a coherent pace, now that they have all the pieces of the puzzle.
It'll never happen.

This is actually the best idea I've heard...I'd LOVE for this to happen. All one can do is dream I suppose...

I read that it was supposed to be a series and I think it really shows since not many characters get a chance to develop and you just get things thrown at you without any sort of break.

You're right, but it got scrapped and the film is basically the scripts for the first few TV episodes with an ending tacked on. Absolutely beautiful animation, though.

Beth Cyra

I mean like wasn't there speculation of which series (the ones outside UC) take place after/before in regards to UC. You have UC where you have the earth pretty much ruling the colonies while in at least G Gundam you have the colonies being the ones in charge, that's AC right? I forgot which one it was. Maybe I'm just crazy.

UC - You know.

Future Century - G Gundam - Colonies Rule and decide the governing body with the Gundam Fights.

After Colony - Wing - Earth Sphere has the Colonies under their thumb, but Colonies fight back and by the end of AC they Unify.

Mars Era - Wing - First brand new Era to be created with in another century that already had it's own era that I'm aware of. Centers around Mars and the Earth President seems crazy as fuck. Colonies seem really chill and for the most part want to stay out of it it seems.

After War - X - Seen alot of fans debate that Compture/Spirit/New Type essence at the end of the show is in fact Amuro Ray. I don't really buy into it, but interesting none the less.

Correct Century - Turn A - All of the above (plus some people say Bandai tries to retroactivily make OO and SEED part of it) combine to form this universe there for linking all the Gundam Time lines into one.

The real problem is there is serious issues with linking any of the time frames without using the Turn A itself to wipe out each timeline and then it makes it pointless beacuse they don't matter where they fall.

As it is, Turn A and Turn X have Devil Gundam Genes inside them so alot of people like to think that G Gundam would be the last, and coming right before Turn A.

If we look at UC and how the mech and overall design of that universe flows then it would seem natrual for Wing or X to follow UC. X if things go wrong and then leading into Wing or Wing should things continue to advance (mobile suit design, power, size's are all things that could if followed in a direct line hook UC to Wing,) however the problem is for each and every arguement made there are several that would discredit and ruin the idea of a proper timeline starting with UC and leading into CC.

This is why despite Turn A having a cult following, the Black History/CC isn't something that has caught on more because the amount of problems it brings up by it's very use.

The most common timeline I've seen people use goes like this.

Universal Century -> After War -> After Colony/Mars Era-> Future Century-> Turn A's creation-> Moonlight Butterfly gets used -> Correct Century

In my experience, anyone who wants to take the stories seriously separates all of the timelines into alternate universes. Attempting to combine them all into one timeline is just so inherently silly I haven't seen anyone seriously argue it.

As for Turn A... I just wrote that off as Tomino and company being silly. Or that it was so far in the future/Turn A was so powerful that the timelines became distorted and merged into one or it was so old that all of human history had time to get killed off and completely forgotten about and then rebuild itself over and over.

Even for a franchise with psychic pink super saiyans, it just gets too ridiculous.

Turn A wasn't even supposed to be a Gundam show, but Sunrise muscled Tomino into making it one.
Really? I'd be curious to read it if you have a source for this. I know Loran was supposed to be female, but I didn't realize (or forgot) that it wasn't even supposed to be Gundam. That must have been so early in development that he had only decided on a setting or something he wanted to do.

Beth Cyra

One thing, I've never read all the supporitng Turn A materials, dose it ever specifiy if Conrad saw Wing Zero EW during his sleep or was it TV?

We saw EW Sandrock and Deathscythe in the Black History, so I just always assumed it would be EW.

Really? I'd be curious to read it if you have a source for this. I know Loran was supposed to be female, but I didn't realize (or forgot) that it wasn't even supposed to be Gundam. That must have been so early in development that he had only decided on a setting or something he wanted to do.

I don't remember where I read it, but was probably at least ten years ago. It was pretty early on in the development of the series before they decided to make it the 20th Anniversary Show for Gundam Big Bang 20th. The show was originally going to be called Turn A Space and incorporate ALL of Tomino's shows into the timeline.

Ezalc

I haven't watched Turn A yet or some of the other series but I always assumed that G was the most futuristic given the control style of the gundams (still my favorite style) and all the crazy shit that happens in it. I mean if it was all in one universe anyways, which it most likely isn't but I always enjoy trying to get a franchise that has a bunch of disconnected series and trying to connect them all.

Beth Cyra

I haven't watched Turn A yet or some of the other series but I always assumed that G was the most futuristic given the control style and all the crazy shit that woulld happen in it. I mean if it was all in one universe anyways, which it most likely isn't but I always enjoy trying to get a franchise that has a bunch of disconnected series and trying to connect them all.

While it's true it has a different style the Hyper/Mode system doesn't equal New Types suddenly not existing, this is one of the big problems with any of the timeline debates because outside of UC and X they suddenly just aren't around.

Though Wu Fei was planned to be a New Type before Wing's release.

That said, it's just generally accepted that no Gundam is connected unless it carries the same Timeline, and CC only exists in Turn A and even then it's better to not go into specifics.

I haven't watched Turn A yet or some of the other series but I always assumed that G was the most futuristic given the control style of the gundams (still my favorite style) and all the crazy shit that happens in it. I mean if it was all in one universe anyways, which it most likely isn't but I always enjoy trying to get a franchise that has a bunch of disconnected series and trying to connect them all.

I do actually like that CC tried to tie everything together, but it is problematic at best to actually do so. I try not to take that part too seriously.

I did just hear a great idea on the latest Gundamn! podcast...put Ali Al-Saachez in the Strike Freedom, plop him in the AGE universe, and let him do his thing :D.

I don't remember where I read it, but was probably at least ten years ago. It was pretty early on in the development of the series before they decided to make it the 20th Anniversary Show for Gundam Big Bang 20th. The show was originally going to be called Turn A Space and incorporate ALL of Tomino's shows into the timeline.
That's a cool bit of info, thank you. =D

I'm pretty sure Turn A Space is going to be impossible to Google. Oh well.

Ezalc

I just like thinking about it all I mean. The earth rules for so long, then the colonies are able to achieve peace and equality, all of a sudden the colonies completely dominate the earth. I just find it interesting to think about the progression that would take place.

The whole connected universe was very tongue in cheek, not really to take seriously because it's a bit... ridiculous. G Gundam is not really about futuristic or super high tech, but more just about being bat shit crazy with it's style which was more super robot series than regular Gundam. It's silly awesomeness, but very much often not serious

Ezalc

The whole connected universe was very tongue in cheek, not really to take seriously because it's a bit... ridiculous. G Gundam is not really about futuristic or super high tech, but more just about being bat shit crazy with it's style which was more super robot series than regular Gundam. It's silly awesomeness, but very much often not serious

I know but it's fun to speculate. Plus G's piloting system is the only one that guarantees the pilot is a badass with and without their gundam.

Ideon is really just a super beefed up GM anyway.

And on the Wing Glory redesigns, Deathsycthe Rosette is fucking awesome.

Droog

This sounds familiar to me also - although I remembered it as being all of Sunrise's shows (arguably the same thing :p ). Sunrise wouldn't agree however but compromised and let him use all the Gundam shows instead. A quick google search couldn't corroborate this though, sorry! :-/

If wikipedia (or the Gundam Wikia) is to be believed however, there is a "Black History" section at the start of the Universal Century Gundam Officials Encyclopedia which was "unearthed" in the year 1993 of the Correct Century and dates the Universal Century roughly 3000 years prior to the events of Turn A.

Make of that what you will!

zoku88

Well, it IS Mikimoto. I hate how he left the series unfinished to (I suppose, since the timing matches up) go work on Macross First though.
Publication never went pretty fast, but three years between volumes 11 and 12 is ridiculous when you're *that* close to the end. Probably killed the publication in France, since it supposedly didn't sold that well in the first place :/

Anyway, I love me some GM Canard and even the Cygne.

Why have I not even heard of this?

Why have I not even heard of this?

It's the flagship title in Macross Ace. Basically like Gundam The Origin.

If wikipedia (or the Gundam Wikia) is to be believed however, there is a "Black History" section at the start of the Universal Century Gundam Officials Encyclopedia which was "unearthed" in the year 1993 of the Correct Century and dates the Universal Century roughly 3000 years prior to the events of Turn A.

Make of that what you will!

I own that book. It's actually sitting right next to me on our bookshelf down in the basement. And yes, it opens with "A Biographical Study of Black History" by Yokk Wakk Onimott, Lecturer of Black History, in 2001 Correct Century.

Ideon is really just a super beefed up GM anyway.

Incorporating Ideon into would be the easiest way to explain the reset of each civilization. "Oh, Ideon wiped everything out... again."

Droog

I own that book. It's actually sitting right next to me on our bookshelf down in the basement. And yes, it opens with "A Biographical Study of Black History" by Yokk Wakk Onimott, Lecturer of Black History, in 2001 Correct Century.

Would you recommend it? I don't have many Gundam books other than MS Era and Gunpla related ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom