• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Gundam Thread of Gunpla, Origins, and 35 Years of GUNDAMUUUU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
You know I just figured maybe A. Took awhile for it to be built or moved B. Took awhile to fuel C. Elzcant didn't want anyone but himself to move it D. Didn't have Tech to move till now (I believe a each cryo tank sleep the Vagans jumped in technology right?

I don't know. They've been sending mobile suits and fleets to earth for over fifty years by this point. If your people are dying from these mars rays, seems like that would be priority number one rather than starting a war for goofy reasons. Oh and nevermind that twenty five years ago they built and flew to earth a giant ship with engines and arms capable of grabbing a colony.

Beth Cyra

So I got Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 the other day and its actually making me want to hurry up and watch the earlier series.
shame about the DLC though.

Good choice.

Sadly I never got all the achievs for mine because the Online community dried up before I got all the online Achievs.

That said, make sure you stay away from leveling up Unicorn/OO Raiser/Knight Gundam so long as you are wanting any challenge. Those three suits at high levels are so broken it's crazy. Even in the hardest setting you just run into a group of and hit the SP button and then your a god and destroy everything around you.

Granted most of the A level suits can be busted, but nothing comes close to these three in my mind.

Leezard

Good choice.

Sadly I never got all the achievs for mine because the Online community dried up before I got all the online Achievs.

That said, make sure you stay away from leveling up Unicorn/OO Raiser/Knight Gundam so long as you are wanting any challenge. Those three suits at high levels are so broken it's crazy. Even in the hardest setting you just run into a group of and hit the SP button and then your a god and destroy everything around you.

Granted most of the A level suits can be busted, but nothing comes close to these three in my mind.

Gundam DX is sick as well, though nothing is as broken as Knight Gundam. One lvl 1 Air SP from the DX clears out just about any field, on any difficulty. (High specs on the DX, of course.)

Good choice.

I have been pretty much only using Wing Zero since I got Heero. though I tried all the upgrades on melee and I felt way overpowered.

Think im going to finish 0083 today then start either original, Zeta, or Seed.
I really want to give Turn A another shot but the MC's design really bugs me.

Beth Cyra

Zero while nerfed from 1 and 2 is still godly and when you unlock certain skills he becomes one of the single best zone captures.

Rolling Twin Buster is still crazy sting and both standing and Ariel TBR have such Hugh hit boxes you just massacre whole groups of aces with it later on. Not as good as Twin Satalite Canon but Ive always felt Zero's melee is better and his C6 is one of the best in the game depite the long animation.

Droog

If you're honestly interested in finishing up online then let me know as I still need to get the 100 online games achievement also. Forever Four/Twin Peaks/Ultimate Enemy grinding is probably the easiest way?

Beth Cyra

I would imagine so. With beefed up Gundam's all you need is the right skill set to take them down in what? Maybe 15 seconds?

Also I would be up for helping any one else, I have almost the full Gundam list near capped and multiple characters at 50 so they would go by super fast.

What system you guys have it on?
PS3 here.

I was going to buy Lockon & Allelujah till I heard they can only be used on the one mission and for $6 thats way too much.

Beth Cyra

I grabbed it on both 360 and PS3.

Thing is my PS3 is Muso three, that said when I was online I saw several JPN players so Muso could be online comp with DWG3, if it is I will help people on either platform.

You can get pretty killer plans for the Gundams alot easier by doing online matches.

I don't know. They've been sending mobile suits and fleets to earth for over fifty years by this point. If your people are dying from these mars rays, seems like that would be priority number one rather than starting a war for goofy reasons. Oh and nevermind that twenty five years ago they built and flew to earth a giant ship with engines and arms capable of grabbing a colony.

When were they sending fleets and etc from mars sphere to earth? I thought they took over Earth Colony and facilities on Earth for manufacturing their suits closer their, as well as their La Garise or whatever fortress they just showed?

Leezard

What system you guys have it on?
PS3 here.

I was going to buy Lockon & Allelujah till I heard they can only be used on the one mission and for $6 thats way too much.

Personally, I have it for PS3.

Lockon and Allelujah can be used on any mission except story mode and history mode. Instead, you get their very own "history mission" with the character when you buy the dlc. Their suits can be used in story mode by another pilot. The dlc mobile suits can only be used online if every player in a hosted game (max 4) owns the dlc, though.

Thing is my PS3 is Muso three, that said when I was online I saw several JPN players so Muso could be online comp with DWG3, if it is I will help people on either platform.

You can get pretty killer plans for the Gundams alot easier by doing online matches.
Yes, the online seems to be compatible. I've seen quite a bit of Japanese players as well.

Personally, I have it for PS3.

Lockon and Allelujah can be used on any mission except story mode and history mode. Instead, you get their very own "history mission" with the character when you buy the dlc. Their suits can be used in story mode by another pilot. The dlc mobile suits can only be used online if every player in a hosted game (max 4) owns the dlc, though.

Yes, the online seems to be compatible. I've seen quite a bit of Japanese players as well.
oh ok thanks.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/biglobe-poll-best-gundam-tv-series.html

1 - Gundam 00
2 - Wing
3 - Turn A
4 - X
5 - G
6 - V
7 - AGE (wut)
8 - Seed
9 - Seed Destiny

At least Destiny is where it should be. Even in spite of Jesus Yamato.

I'm actually the same...I have DWG3 on 360 and Musou 3 on PS3. I'd like to finish the online achievements someday for the former. Knew I should've taken care of it entirely right when it came out.

Droog

I'm actually the same...I have DWG3 on 360 and Musou 3 on PS3. I'd like to finish the online achievements someday for the former. Knew I should've taken care of it entirely right when it came out.

I only have the 360 version but am willing to help out sometime!

PhiLonius

Finished Gundam X a couple weeks ago (weird ending) and started watching Turn A. Though I kind of saw the "switch" coming a mile away, it's been the most interesting part of the show so far. Few annoying characters though.

Beth Cyra

At least Destiny is where it should be. Even in spite of Jesus Yamato.

Yeah.

I love GM3 because of the way better music, but I tend to stick to DWG3 and while I don't mind helping others with PS3 Trophys personally I'm only wanting to knock out the Achievs on the 360 version.

Wish I had just played the games around release. Moved on to quickly, well my own fault so I can't really say to much.

So I started Turn A I have only watched 2 episodes but I really deslike it so far(Loran, setting, and the Turn A's design)
Is it worth it to keep watching?

Beth Cyra

So I started Turn A I have only watched 2 episodes but I really deslike it so far(Loran, setting, and the Turn A's design)

I honestly didn't like it, that said I still say it's worth finishing if you love the 80's and 90's series, not because it links them but it really is an end of era for Gundam.

That said, I force myself to even watch AGE and I hate AGE, so unless you just really want to be able to see all the Gundam shows you might be better off just skipping it.

Something really random I thought but upon entering a Japanese grocery store in the area I heard the 08th MS Team ending theme (10 Years After). Was shocked to hear Gundam music in a grocery store of all places.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I went to book-off today and picked up two volumes of Ecole du Ciel and 3 volumes of Crossbone (2 and 3 were only a dollar! Woo!) so I should be reading them soon-ish. Someone get on my case about it, please. =D

I have been pretty much only using Wing Zero since I got Heero. though I tried all the upgrades on melee and I felt way overpowered.

Think im going to finish 0083 today then start either original, Zeta, or Seed.
I really want to give Turn A another shot but the MC's design really bugs me.
I watched Zeta before first gundam, I liked it a lot more. You can probably watch them in either order.

This I just don't understand. I guess I'm biased because I love its design, but why would someone not like a series just because the mech looks silly? I think the original gundam design looks completely ridiculous but I still watched it.

If you don't like the setting, though, that was one of the show's strongest parts, to be honest. What do you like in a Gundam show? Turn A was pretty strongly about two societies trying to understand each other, and the effects of technology on society, instead of it being heavy on intermilitary drama like some of the others. I'd watch it in the future when you're able to not take it so seriously, because there are a LOT of completely ridiculous things in this show, like Gundam washing machine/cow storage, that might make you hate it even more.

Beth Cyra

Oh, I forgot to mention, I went to book-off today and picked up two volumes of Ecole du Ciel and 3 volumes of Crossbone (2 and 3 were only a dollar! Woo!) so I should be reading them soon-ish. Someone get on my case about it, please. =D

I watched Zeta before first gundam, I liked it a lot more. You can probably watch them in either order.

This I just don't understand. I guess I'm biased because I love its design, but why would someone not like a series just because the mech looks silly? I think the original gundam design looks completely ridiculous but I still watched it.

If you don't like the setting, though, that was one of the show's strongest parts, to be honest. What do you like in a Gundam show? Turn A was pretty strongly about two societies trying to understand each other, and the effects of technology on society, instead of it being heavy on intermilitary drama like some of the others. I'd watch it in the future when you're able to not take it so seriously, because there are a LOT of completely ridiculous things in this show, like Gundam washing machine/cow storage, that might make you hate it even more.

To me a Mecha show needs to have good Mecha first. I don't care how good the story is (I don't think any Gundam story is good so that is probably why I like the series I do) if I can't get behind the Mecha design then the most important part of the show is a failure to me.

It's one of the reasons why to this day I greatly prefer Getter G and Grendizer to the rest of their family's, I just love the mecha design and I can watch them over and over again. New Getter despite having a better Ryoma and way better animation was something I could barely stand to finish once because I hated the design of New Getter.

Id like the setting in a different show, its just so different from the other series.
the thing I mostly care about in Gundam is characters,
think im might give it to episode 10 though.

duckroll

G-Gundam and Turn-A Gundam are the two series which aren't really Gundam shows. I really love both of them, but I wouldn't really consider to be great "Gundam" shows in particular. They're great shows in their own genres, and they used the Gundam brand to get more attention, but ultimately they're nothing like what fans would consider regular Gundam to be.

G-Gundam is a super robot show. Turn-A is a period drama with robots.

G-Gundam and Turn-A Gundam are the two series which aren't really Gundam shows. I really love both of them, but I wouldn't really consider to be great "Gundam" shows in particular. They're great shows in their own genres, and they used the Gundam brand to get more attention, but ultimately they're nothing like what fans would consider regular Gundam to be.

G-Gundam is a super robot show. Turn-A is a period drama with robots.

Amen, brother.

Just re-watched Unicorn 2. It really gets lost in the shuffle with the other four episodes... to be honest, I think the middle act
with Full Frontal's attack
is still one of my favorite parts of the OVA.

zchen

I don't know, G-Gundam is totally a gundam show to me. The style of action aside, all the theme about environmental protection, the meaning of war, a protagonist that is initially alone but grows to have feeling of family with those that are not related by blood etc from 0079 are all there in G.

Watched episode 7, its not so bad after the initial jarring. I will probably finish it unless it gets too drawn out.
though now I really think Loran should have been a girl.

Leezard

Watched episode 7, its not so bad after the initial jarring. I will probably finish it unless it gets too drawn out.
though now I really think Loran should have been a girl.

The writer of the show actually wanted him to be a girl. He got stopped by some higher-ups since Gundam was primarily a show for boys, in their opinion. You can really notice that the writer kept him being "girly" in a lot of ways.

edit: Harry Ord should show up soon as well. He's great.

Droog

The writer of the show actually wanted him to be a girl. He got stopped by some higher-ups since Gundam was primarily a show for boys, in their opinion. You can really notice that the writer kept him being "girly" in a lot of ways.

edit: Harry Ord should show up soon as well. He's great.

Harry Ord: truly the reincarnation of Quattro Bajeena.
He is NOT a CHAR!

I love Turn A - I thought the setting was very refreshing compared to everything that came prior to it. As a (kind of) sequel to everything that came before it also, I found it very interesting. The mythology of it all is fascinating, more so because of the deliberate knowledge gaps.

The Earth Militia's spaceship which they christen the "Willgame", it's definitely based on EFSF spaceship design but has at least FOUR megaparticle cannons yet no launchers for it's MS hangar. I can't help but wonder what role it played in its fleet. Also when the South American tribe are recounting their myth of the sky giants invading Earth and fighting the White Devil long ago; the giants are obviously based on Zeon MS' - I remember being amused by seeing the Zeong amongst them!

the thing I mostly care about in Gundam is characters
Great news! Turn A is all about the characters.
Bad news. You don't like the characters for some reason.
Id like the setting in a different show, its just so different from the other series.
Which was the whole point. By then Tomino got pretty damn tired of every gundam show retreading the same ground over and over again.
Turn A was supposed to be more or less an end to all of that. Unfortunately for him Bandai kind of doesn't give a fuck and is trying to run the whole
thing into the ground to this day.

Edit: As for Loran was supposed to be a girl. It's a fan rumour without any evidence to back it up.

Beth Cyra

Just saw Nu Ver Ka and AGE -2 Dark Hound MG's.

Honestly I couldn't be more excited about Nu Ver Ka. I refused to get the Nu MG because I didn't like how it looked overall and have been waiting for a 2.0 so to me this is even better becuase I love Ver Ka box design. Day-1 for me.

AGE-2 I'm not so excited about however. I grabbed AGE 2 Normal for my leads but while DH is alright I just don't think I want to spend the money for awhile. However it is more interesting that Bandai seems to have just said fuck it to the Double Bullet, and makes me believe even more that we will likely only get an AGE-3 and then have them skip Orbital and Fortress and go straight for the FX.

Kinda shocked these were announced though given Bandai said the Wing line was going to restart in the Fall I figured we would be getting that around this time. I had guessed that we wouldn't get a Perfect grade and a UC 2.0 would be the big december release and given they usually let a RG have a month to itself we know it's not November and Oct is already getting Aegis.

Beth Cyra

Scans are out and it confirmed Age has 49 eps.

Kinda shocked people are surprised at this, even more so at those hoping for an OVA/Movie up. Hell even if you like it how could one expect Sunrise to actually drop more cash on this flop no matter what they've said in the past.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I have no idea how they are going to wrap it up in five more episodes.

It feels like it's still in the middle of the whole storyline right now since basically nothing has happened.

Averon

I can't wait to see how Flit's views on Vegans flips in only 5 episodes. No way they end the show with him still being a genocidal Vegan hater. I can't see how they pull it off with it being forced, contrived, etc...

Jube3

Just saw Nu Ver Ka and AGE -2 Dark Hound MG's.

Honestly I couldn't be more excited about Nu Ver Ka. I refused to get the Nu MG because I didn't like how it looked overall and have been waiting for a 2.0 so to me this is even better becuase I love Ver Ka box design. Day-1 for me.

AGE-2 I'm not so excited about however. I grabbed AGE 2 Normal for my leads but while DH is alright I just don't think I want to spend the money for awhile. However it is more interesting that Bandai seems to have just said fuck it to the Double Bullet, and makes me believe even more that we will likely only get an AGE-3 and then have them skip Orbital and Fortress and go straight for the FX.

Kinda shocked these were announced though given Bandai said the Wing line was going to restart in the Fall I figured we would be getting that around this time. I had guessed that we wouldn't get a Perfect grade and a UC 2.0 would be the big december release and given they usually let a RG have a month to itself we know it's not November and Oct is already getting Aegis.

Yea I'm hyped for the Nu Ver Ka as well, I already have the MG Nu but its one of my favorite kits even with the weak funnels so this one is a no brainer for me. The Age 2 Dark Hound looks kinda cool but I probably won't get that one. Here's hoping for a MG Sazabi 2.0/ver ka next!

I got the red Bandai LED's in the mail and dropped it into the Marasai I'm still working on. I took a quick phone picture in case any builders here were curious in what they looked like. It looks pretty cool, the LED is bright (although not as bright as I imagined it would be), only con I really have with it is that the switch to turn it on is on the bottom so turning it on requires lifting up the head/neck piece of the Marasai.
7843097834_ba76c0aab8.jpg

at episode 27 of Turn A
Im liking it ok. Its not one of my favorites but its also isn't near the worst.
Loran is a pretty meh character so far imo, though I do like Kihel, Dianna, Sochie & Harry.

Beth Cyra

Yea I'm hyped for the Nu Ver Ka as well, I already have the MG Nu but its one of my favorite kits even with the weak funnels so this one is a no brainer for me. The Age 2 Dark Hound looks kinda cool but I probably won't get that one. Here's hoping for a MG Sazabi 2.0/ver ka next!

I got the red Bandai LED's in the mail and dropped it into the Marasai I'm still working on. I took a quick phone picture in case any builders here were curious in what they looked like. It looks pretty cool, the LED is bright (although not as bright as I imagined it would be), only con I really have with it is that the switch to turn it on is on the bottom so turning it on requires lifting up the head/neck piece of the Marasai.
7843097834_ba76c0aab8.jpg

Thing is, to me I don't really need a Sazabi because Sinanju is so amazing, and pretty much Sazabi/Char suit perfected in my mind.

I'm mainly waiting for a ZZ. ZZ has always been one of my favorites but ZZ MG leaves so much to be desired it hurts and I'm just hoping and praying that Bandai will drop a 2.0/Ver Ka of it sometime in the next few years.

Thank god. They're obviously looking to kill the series ASAP. The only character I'm pulling for is Seric. No way is Flit not dying.
The assault on the K'Nex Space Station next ep should be extremely boring.

The assault on that place could be interesting if Flit gets to have his way for awhile. I could see an ending for the series done ni five episodes.
Not like Zehearto isnt already close to understanding Asemu's viewpoints and everyone else wouldnt mind not fighting each other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom