• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sun: PlayStation has increased the price of the original Horizon: Zero Dawn from $14.99/$19.99 to $34.99/$39.99

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
At this point,slowly but surely a new industry wide crash seems to descend upon us. I give this industry 5 more years before it implodes on itself.

I think it needs it.

I don't know any other entertainment industry that attempts to rip off its customers more than the gaming industry.

Trilobit

Anyone who has played both who can recommend playing Zero Dawn if you've only played Forbidden West? Or are the game mechanics much more unpolished?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Anyone who has played both who can recommend playing Zero Dawn if you've only played Forbidden West? Or are the game mechanics much more unpolished?

The mechanics werent unpolished and Im going to assume that Aloy will control and feel just like she does in FW in the update

Definitely play it if you enjoyed FW. I still think its the much better game in every way.

tommib

nah, it's a world without competition, MS killed themselves, but the fanboys cheered about MS pulling out of the race. These are the consequences.

You wanted no competition, here is a world with no competition: 4 years in and endless remasters of PS4 games.
We had to pay a price for the destruction of the ultimate evil. Nothing comes for free.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
The complete edition was free to claim during COVID along with other bunch of good indies. I hope folks already all have the game in their library.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

We had to pay a price for the destruction of the ultimate evil. Nothing comes for free.
the-cabin-in-the-woods-evil-is-defeated.gif

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I only care about whether the free PS+ version is eligible for the upgrade. Everyone who cared got that free with their PS5 anyway.
I think it has been removed from the store. It used to be there as a selectable version, now I can't see it.

He needs to stop trying to make Horizon happen. It's not going to happen.

Out of all of Sony's IP it's the one I'm least interested in. Despite the first game being good, it's entirely forgettable.

soulbait

I only care about whether the free PS+ version is eligible for the upgrade. Everyone who cared got that free with their PS5 anyway.

I believe it does. This is from the PlayStation blog:

For existing owners of Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4, PC) and/or Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition (PS4, PS5, PC): you can upgrade to the digital version of Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered for $9.99 on both PlayStation 5 console and on PC (via Steam or Epic Game Store). This includes fans who added the game to their libraries during PlayStation’s Play At Home initiative. 5

Owners of the Horizon Zero Dawn PS4 game disc can access this offer by inserting the game disc into their PS5 console (and will need to keep the disc inserted each time to play the game). PS4 game disc owners who buy the PS5 Digital Edition disc-free console will not be able to access the upgrade offer.

Last edited:

GHG

For the PC gamers before this nonsense also hits PC stores:

bundylove

Now can we say whats the point of this remake remaster what ever shit they call it nowdays?

listen sony , make some games already.

Someone has to pay for Hulst concord mistake.This is how a manager would solve the $400 million problem: By milking the traditionnal console SP players.

But many of us were saying this kind of thing would happen after Jim Ryan got in the place.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Someone has to pay for Hulst concord mistake: Single Player gamers.

But many of us were saying this kind of thing would happen after Jim Ryan got in the place.
This has happened to all of their SP games that got PS5 remasters. From Spider-Man on down to now Zero Dawn. It's not some new conspiracy because it's been a thing. People have had over 7 years to get the game dirt cheap just like The Last of Us Part 2 ($10 during various sales before shooting back to $39.99).

Last edited:
That's why it's important to have all 3 hardware companies remain viable and competitive.
Imagine the shit Sony would pull when you have no other alternative for your console gaming.

rm082e

He needs to stop trying to make Horizon happen. It's not going to happen.

Out of all of Sony's IP it's the one I'm least interested in. Despite the first game being good, it's entirely forgettable.

Because the sequel (which hasn't been given away for free) sold a lot as of almost 18 months ago:

Horizon Forbidden West has topped 8.4 million sales

With sales like this and not having to pay for an IP license like Spiderman, it's one of their largest IPs. I don't care for it one bit myself, but they're pushing it because it's making them money.

near

Gold Member
hefHfDg.jpeg
I also noticed it today.

For existing owners of Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4, PC) and/or Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition (PS4, PS5, PC): you can upgrade to the digital version of Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered for $9.99 on both PlayStation 5 console and on PC (via Steam or Epic Game Store).

If this is intentional, it's an absolutely shameless move from Sony. Typical corporate scumbag behaviour.

Three

I think it has been removed from the store. It used to be there as a selectable version, now I can't see it.
I have the complete edition showing from PS+ but I think I bought frozen wilds.
What does Sony's greed have to do with digital? This isn't the norm.
This isn't Sony related and is the case with digital prices in general (even physical, though physical and second hand is much slower to react to business plans spiking price)

For example look at Fallout 4 GOTY Editions best price across all these stores (Steam, EGS and Windows Store.):

Screenshot-20240926-003151-Chrome.jpg

Notice during the hype of the TV series in April it went up from its all time low of $8 to $33 then again in May when the free update released. This is normal gouging of digital prices based on trends.

Last edited:

Bojji

They literally can't without preventing significant numbers of gamers in worldwide regions from buying games anymore

The problem is with pretending the US is the whole world here

After Pro presentation I'm sure they will keep disc drive optional on PS6. Many games won't even be released on discs most likely...

Arrogant Sony back in full force in that state of play

Without any competition they don't need to hold themselves back. Market is theirs basically.

Three

This wasn't a monthly claim and keep whilst you have a subscription game was it? It was in the catalogue and removed?
It was,as far as I remember. It was also offered if you had a PS5 near launch window I believe. You get to keep those specific games with PS+, they don't remove them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Of course they put the price up! Its an exploit they need to close if they are offering the remastered version with a discount to existing owners .

I have zero problem with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom