• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

If it was held tomorrow (or next month or something), I'm sure Leave would win again.

Two year's time however...who knows.

Demographic change alone means that if the same numbers turn up it's likely remain would win in two years time.

Hold this referendum 10 years ago and Remain wins massively. Hold the referendum in 5 years time and remain remains handily. We are unfortunately at a generational shift in politics, and it's happened at precisely the *wrong* time.

Rodelero

Yes, you have a point (apparently I voted for no plan at all in that the politics didn't ever think they'd have to actually Leave).

So it's the politicians fault? I'm not sure you can dodge responsibility that easily. If you voted Leave, you voted for a campaign which quite clearly had no plan behind it. You surely didn't believe there was a plan that no-one was talking about... surely.

Quite clearly the politicians in this country are responsible for a lot of this mess but I don't think the voting public can abdicate themselves of responsibility for backing the Leave campaign.

The agreement between the EU and the UK-out-of-EU. Your next question is, I think, why I suppose it's going to be better, that's a long topic at the corner of which is, again, being more efficient outside of the EU.

Free movement can be limited Liechtenstein-style. Yes, that would have to be negotiated hard.

EEA without free movement of people is subject to negotiation.

As to how long in the EEA until a better solution, it obviously depends. I'd aim for 4-5 years.

So this seems to be your answer to everything? The UK just has to negotiate and it will *magically* get an amazing deal, for example single market access without free movement - also the latter is an integral part of the former.

Par Score

If it was held tomorrow (or next month or something), I'm sure Leave would win again.

Two year's time however...who knows.

I'm not.

The political and economic turmoil of the last few weeks has been enough to show that "Project Fear" was more like "Project Reality", and we haven't even started actually leaving yet.

I may be super ignorant in this, but if Labour get in at the next general election (before article 50 is signed!), can thy disregard referendum saying it was a Conservative led idea and a complete balls up?

Maybe there were virtually no prominent labour MP's through the campaigning for a reason.

This would also mean that they would have to get their house in order, which I doubt will happen any time soon.

Any government can choose to ignore the referendum, as it was a non-binding and advisory in nature. The question is the political cost of doing so.

The agreement between the EU and the UK-out-of-EU. Your next question is, I think, why I suppose it's going to be better, that's a long topic at the corner of which is, again, being more efficient outside of the EU.

Free movement can be limited Liechtenstein-style. Yes, that would have to be negotiated hard.
So what is in this better agreement? What should actually be agreed upon there?

And I don't think comparing the UK to Liechtenstein of all places is very helpful. The country has not even 40.000 people? Just saying it has to be "negotiated hard" doesn't make it any more possible. What does the EU have to gain to give in here towards Britain? Nothing.

Bo-Locks

Are all the economic forecasts based on the presumption of invoking article 50 straight after the referendum? Are there any forecasts which take into account the damage to the economy in the intervening period between the referendum and the government's attempted negotiation before invoking article 50?

I'm just wondering whether, if the UK is going to leave the EU (which I realise is still far from certain), it would be beneficial to declare article 50 asap or delay it and continue this standoff / negotiation almost indefinitely? Has any research / forecasts been done on this?

accel

So it's the politicians fault? I'm not sure you can dodge responsibility that easily. If you voted Leave, you voted for a campaign which quite clearly had no plan behind it. You surely didn't believe there was a plan that no-one was talking about... surely.

Quite clearly the politicians in this country are responsible for a lot of this mess but I don't think the voting public can abdicate themselves of responsibility for backing the Leave campaign.

I repeat, I'd have voted for Leave again. Yes, I think it's better even like that, although the complete unpreparedness of the politics to leave was a big negative surprise that needn't be there.

So this seems to be your answer to everything? The UK just has to negotiate and it will *magically* get an amazing deal, for example single market access without free movement - also the latter is an integral part of the former.

Not magically, through negotiation. I am not saying the UK will be able to get everything, but getting to EEA as a temporary solution while limiting free movement of people might be attainable.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Free movement can be limited Liechtenstein-style.

Lol. OK. Switzerland will have the access to the single market cut out if they don't back down on their referendum, but UK will get the Liechtenstein exception, just because, ignoring everything that lead to this exception.

Not magically, through negotiation. I am not saying the UK will be able to get everything, but getting to EEA as a temporary solution while limiting free movement of people might be attainable.
Again, how is the UK in a position to negotiate anything in regards to this? And why should we accept the UK in the EEA if it is only temporary? What is the use in that?

The stuff you are posting here is not a plan. These are dreams, and impossible ones at that.

Why do you think that might be attainable? Why should the EU accept that kind of a deal? Why would the EU be so stupid as to accept conditions that might ultimately make other EU member states consider leaving? You are banking on the EU countries being stupid fools.

accel

What would the UK offer in return for this rather gigantic concession?

That's not for me to answer, there are too many options. Guarantees of various kinds, acceptance of things that benefit the EU more than the UK.

Why do you think that might be attainable? Why should the EU accept that kind of a deal? Why would the EU be so stupid as to accept conditions that might ultimately make other EU member states consider leaving? You are banking on the EU countries being stupid fools.

Because the interest between the EU and the UK is mutual. That's something the UK wants, it can be traded for something the EU wants.

Are all the economic forecasts based on the presumption of invoking article 50 straight after the referendum? Are there any forecasts which take into account the damage to the economy in the intervening period between the referendum and the government's attempted negotiation before invoking article 50?

I'm just wondering whether, if the UK is going to leave the EU (which I realise is still far from certain), it would be beneficial to declare article 50 asap or delay it and continue this standoff / negotiation almost indefinitely? Has any research / forecasts been done on this?

An unspecified delay is unlikely to help because uncertainty will just drive corporations away quicker.
If they knew now the worst of it will be over in 3 years that is different than thinking it might take that long before the tough part even begins.

We'll keep buying all those German cars of course

Good. We too will continue to buy British (German, US, Asian) cars (assembled in UK):

kfXHqMW.jpg

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2016/01/best-...r-manufacturing-as-exports-reach-record-high/

That's not for me to answer, there are too many options. Guarantees of various kinds, acceptance of things that benefit the EU more than the UK.

Because the interest between the EU and the UK is mutual. That's something the UK wants, it can be traded for something the EU wants.

Various kinds, things, options...Lmao, spoken like a true leaver politician. No substance, just empty words.

I would be interested in some of these many options. Can you give five concrete examples?
Things and stuff and options and "insert random meaningless word here".

accel

I would be interested in some of these many options. Can you give five concrete examples?

Look at the EU acts the UK have been blocking over the years and you'll have your answers. Finances, agriculture, etc.

Various kinds, things, options...Lmao, spoken like a true leaver politician. No substance, just empty words.

There are like fifteen of you and just one me at the moment.

No matter how many links I give, there's always someone asking to give a link for that and that and that other thing as well.

I apologize for not being able to provide a link to everything, but please understand that I just can't do that, it's too much.

Look at the EU acts the UK have been blocking over the years and you'll have your answers. Finances, agriculture, etc.
But the UK is leaving. They can't block it anymore. So we don't need the UK to approve those things. The UK can't use that in their negotiations anymore. The UK is leaving, it doesn't matter anymore what they think of EU regulations.

Kabouter

That is quite vague, could you give me five concrete examples? Plus, as others have noted, it's not like the UK blocking acts is relevant if the UK leaves.

Acidote

In addition to being... quite vague, that's not something the UK can offer in the negotiations, since as soon as the UK is out those blockades are out the window anyways.

accel

But the UK is leaving. They can't block it anymore. So we don't need the UK to approve those things. The UK can't use that in their negotiations anymore. The UK is leaving, it doesn't matter anymore what they think of EU regulations.

You can't block anything now. You lost this leverage.

We have been talking about things the UK would have to give in order to leave to EEA without free movement.

You are talking about the inability of the UK to affect future EU policy after being in EEA, that comes after (and ain't really true).

We have been talking about things the UK would have to give in order to leave to EEA without free movement.

You are talking about the inability of the UK to affect future EU policy after being in EEA, that comes after (and ain't really true).
No, you are saying the UK will negotiate their way to a better deal with the EEA (aka, no free movement) by not blocking EU regulations anymore - that they can't block because they would be out of the EU by then.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Name one thing that UK blocked in the past and that would be so important to EU to give up on freedom of movement. One thing. That EU can't change on its own once UK is out.

(I'm not even touching how giving up on freedom of movement would be so damning to EU that nothing is worth doing that. Let's assume we live in your ideal world)

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
What would the UK offer in return for this rather gigantic concession?

Giving up banking passports? That's the only thing I can think of, even though it's not something that "standard" EEA agreement includes to begin with, it's more of a separate issue, if I understand correctly.

And if I understand correctly you think that the fact that the UK will no longer have a veto on EU policy is leverage for the UK in negotiations?
Giving up banking passports? That's the only thing I can think of, even though it's not something that "standard" EEA agreement includes to begin with, it's more of a separate issue, if I understand correctly.
They will lose the banking passport anyway. They throw it away when they enact Article 50. It's not leverage for them, it's against them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Giving up banking passports? That's the only thing I can think of, even though it's not something that "standard" EEA agreement includes to begin with, it's more of aseparate issue, if I understand correctly.

Banking passport is something what EU could give to UK, not something that UK can use in a negotiation. It's EU's big leverage.

Kabouter

They are not a part of the EEA, so it's not a concession. The UK desires both EEA access (but with freedom of movement limitations) and retaining the banking passport. If the EU were willing to make such a deal to begin with, the UK would have to make large concessions to get it. Beyond paying vastly more into the EU budget than it does now, there's nothing that comes to mind that the UK really has to offer beyond that which it gives in the EEA deal to begin with. I'm open to hearing what other possible concrete concessions the UK has to offer though.

Man, this is a really awkward time to answer to job offers from the UK. As an IT consultant I'm used to to receiving job offers from all around Europe but only now I'm in a mindset that I may actually take them.
Four weeks ago the UK would be one of my top options, but right now with all this uncertainty I'm actually declining offers without even going through the details...

The banking passport is something they need to gain in any exit deal, not something they can offer as a concession. Whatever deal is reached. (This notwithstanding that freedom of movement of people actually facilitates some of this trade in services.)

Micerider

"I will negotiate with you to take and use your home at any time as my own and I have nothing to give in return. Deal?"

Do you realize how absurd it sounds?

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
Banking passport is something what EU could give to UK, not something that UK use in a negotiation. It's EU's big leverage.

That's true, but UK could say: "look, banking passports are important for us, and we were prepared to negotiate hard & fight for it to the last negotiator standing, but... we'll forget about it, if you allow us to close the borders - just a tiny, tiny bit - 'cause that's what the public wants, mkay?"

That's true, but UK could say: "look, banking passports are important for us, and we were prepared to negotiate hard & fight for it to the last negotiator standing, but... we'll forget about it, if you allow us to close the borders - just a tiny, tiny bit - 'cause that's what the public wants, mkay?"
So rather than negotiate, the UK should beg?

"We will not ask you to give us something we want, so please do this other thing we want?" I don't see the EU getting anything out of this.

accel

No, you are saying the UK will negotiate their way to a better deal with the EEA (aka, no free movement) by not blocking EU regulations anymore - that they can't block because they would be out of the EU by then.

I am saying something else - that the UK will agree to some of the things the EU tried to do but couldn't because the UK disagreed.

Name one thing that UK blocked in the past and that would be so important to EU to give up on freedom of movement. One thing. That EU can't change on its own once UK is out.

(I'm not even touching how giving up on freedom of movement would be so damning to EU that nothing is worth doing that. Let's assume we live in your ideal world)

FTA (even portions of it).

It's not a good example with respect to exiting, but it is the right scale.

That is quite vague, could you give me five concrete examples? Plus, as others have noted, it's not like the UK blocking acts is relevant if the UK leaves.

No, I can not give you five concrete examples on the spot. I mentioned "finances" and "agriculture", which are two areas where we managed to exert some pressure on the EU, that's as far as I will go now because I know that otherwise it will blow up to twenty more pages yet will be largely fruitless in that you will still be of an opinion that I didn't give anything "concrete" enough and I will be just exhausted.

If I come across a document that summarizes areas in which the UK has leverage over the EU, I will link it.

The British public is probably dumb enough to having no banking passport in exchange for restrictions on movement. Not that this will even be offered. Because it doesn't have to be.

Allowing the UK to retain passporting and restricting movement of people are both things that the EU has to offer. Neither is something the UK has to offer as a concession. The UK has very little to bargain with. If after two years of wrangling a deal hasn't been reached, the latter will happen and they'll lose the former.

Similarly this bizarre notion that in leaving, you offer the concession of... leaving, and no longer having any influence on EU policy, is not a concession.

Kabouter

And what would be the incentive for the EU to agree with this? The baseline deal is a standard EEA agreement that does not come with the banking passport and does come with freedom of movement. If the UK wants concessions in two important areas from the EU, it will have to offer something in return. I would like to learn what these potential concessions are, particularly since they would have to be highly significant given the importance of the two concessions they would ask of the EU. As I posted before, the only thing that comes to mind is for the UK to pay vastly more into the EU budget in exchange for EEA membership than it does now for EU membership.

No, I can not give you five concrete examples on the spot. I mentioned "finances" and "agriculture", which are two areas where we managed to exert some pressure on the EU, that's as far as I will go now because I know that otherwise it will blow up to twenty more pages yet will be largely fruitless in that you will still be of an opinion that I didn't give anything "concrete" enough and I will be just exhausted.

If I come across a document that summarizes areas in which the UK has leverage over the EU, I will link it.

That's quite unfortunate. I also think I was entirely reasonable to ask for some concrete examples when you said there were many options for the UK to choose from, and don't think the tone of this response is warranted.

I am saying something else - that the UK will agree to some of the things the EU tried to do but couldn't because the UK disagreed.
Again, the UK would no longer be in the EU. They have no say in these things and can't use it as leverage in their negotiations. It doesn't matter anymore if the UK disagreed, since they are giving up their vote in these matters either way.

Zaph

"I will negotiate with you to take and use your home at any time as my own and I have nothing to give in return. Deal?"

Do you realize how absurd it sounds?
It's pointless. Brexiters are convinced it's in everyone's best interest to give the UK a good deal because reasons. They don't realise it'll put the UK in a better position than their own member states - which is an absurd thing to ask from a union.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The banking passport is something they need to gain in any exit deal, not something they can offer as a concession. Whatever deal is reached. (This notwithstanding that freedom of movement of people actually facilitates some of this trade in services.)
It's time for Leavers to realise that they literally lost all rights and entitlements that came with being an EU member and now will have to *concede* something in order to get a fraction of what the UK used to enjoy.

The UK's negotiation strategy could be summed up as "If I die here I will stink the place with my rotting corpse". Regardless of your views on the EU, this is not a good starting position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom