• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Some juicy stuff on Gove/Johnson

Prominent MP who backed Boris Johnson claims "Osborne, Hancock, Gove and SPAD Newman met until late last night. Osborne behind the stabbing"

tumblr_lkrw5kF6CM1qjjgbro1_500.jpg

Doesn't it fill your heart with joy to be worried about the future, family and country. And these cunts only care about this stuff.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So if a country had a legitimate reason to leave that everyone agreed with, how would they even do it? Ironically it seems one of the few more agreeable arguments against the EU (could be considered a bureaucratic mess) actually just makes it impossible to leave safely.
The EU is not a gym. It's not meant to be easy to exit. It's a complex organisation representing the needs and wants of hundreds of millions of citizens; adding or removing new partners require to accommodate such changes and modify legislation and funding in accordance. Furthermore, it exists as the skeleton of a yet to be realised European Federation. It also needs to be taken into account that a slow exit procedure works for both sides since there will be a ton of adjustments to make.

You get into the EU fully knowing that you have duties to oblige on top of benefits. Them's the rules.

Mr. Sam

And do you think companies are going to stay put while this happens? "Take your time, we'll just be over here playing cards while we wait an indefinite amount of years to see if you get any of the benefits you once had back."

But thank God we can finally stop Polish people coming here.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The Empire will rise again.

Time to take over the world.

The illuminati are real. Gove is one of them.
We're the bad guys .. I bet as soon as we leave the EU the UK floats off down under

mrklaw

MrArseFace
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNews/status/748590418095448064?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

When you think the situation surely couldn't be any worse.

Project Reality is 1000 more scary than "Project Fear"

We can all live in VR world soon

This might be the rules but it doesn't make much practical sense. During the exit talks you figure out how to properly separate and the things that the EU will need to do, and the things the UK will need to do. Then we leave and spend another two years working out how to have a trade deal and do a bunch of those things all over again.

What's wrong with starting the exit talks, and having some parallel tracks where you figure out the basics (in case you can't agree a trade deal), while also negotiating a way to maintain a relationship when you leave

It all sounds very clumsy. Will we maintain full eu membership until the moment of exit? Presumably we'd have to - we can't immediately go onto WTO rules day one until the exit has been worked through. That at least gives us maybe the two years as not bad, and we'd only be in the shit after we leave for the 2-3 years (optimistically) it might take to negotiate a new deal.

what will all the companies that have invested in the uk for access to the EU do? 3+ years at WTO tariffs with no guarantee of a positive outcome and I'd be looking to move my factories to mainland Europe. We had some of the highest inward investment in the whole of Europe and that's just going to disappear.

I can't believe this is happening. Is it usual to go backwards in the stages of grief?

Zaph

The EU is not a gym. It's not meant to be easy to exit. It's a complex organisation representing the needs and wants of hundreds of millions of citizens; adding or removing new partners require to accommodate such changes and modify legislation and funding in accordance. Furthermore, it exists as the skeleton of a yet to be realised European Federation. It also needs to be taken into account that a slow exit procedure works for both sides since there will be a ton of adjustments to make.

You get into the EU fully knowing that you have duties to oblige on top of benefits. Them's the rules.

Yup. The reason the EU exists is to make things better in Europe. Can't then turn around and blame the EU for not trying to make things better for its non-existence.

Hazzuh

Doesn't it fill your heart with joy to be worried about the future, family and country. And these cunts only care about this stuff.

Nothing anyone can do about the Brexit negotiations right now, we might as well enjoy the bloodbath.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNews/status/748590418095448064?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

When you think the situation surely couldn't be any worse.

Project Reality is 1000 more scary than "Project Fear"

We can all live in VR world soon

No we will be stubborn and just go ."Don't tell us what to do. Fuck you !! Fucking idiots"

Then never activate it.

May or Gove or who ever is PM will let out a high pitched scream. When ever questioned then run off like an Am Dram Dracula

Or only hope is the EU are reverse bluffing the UK and stalling us. To enter emergency talks with the New PM.

Where a cooling off period can be decided. Then once the mess dies down we forget about it all.

Or we just Rorschach ourselves and the EU are Dr Manhattan

dumbo

So if a country had a legitimate reason to leave that everyone agreed with, how would they even do it? Ironically it seems one of the few more agreeable arguments against the EU (could be considered a bureaucratic mess) actually just makes it impossible to leave safely.

If a country had a legitimate reason, then they would ask the council, and the council would amend article 50. [AFAIK there would be a lot of commission lawyers involved and your democratically elected MEP would be asked to vote on it]

It's sickening, it is okay for them with huge offshore investments and god knows how much money stashed away, when the rest of us are facing increased prices, tax hikes and job insecurity... bunch of bastards.

This might be the rules but it doesn't make much practical sense. During the exit talks you figure out how to properly separate and the things that the EU will need to do, and the things the UK will need to do. Then we leave and spend another two years working out how to have a trade deal and do a bunch of those things all over again.

What's wrong with starting the exit talks, and having some parallel tracks where you figure out the basics (in case you can't agree a trade deal), while also negotiating a way to maintain a relationship when you leave

It all sounds very clumsy

As far as I have read about it in this thread, "leaving" it's a massively complicated process that can take decades and probably costs a fortune for everyone involved (I'm speculating on that part).
You don't start that process before you are absolutely certain that it actually/officially happens.

Maledict

It all sounds very clumsy. Will we maintain full eu membership until the moment of exit? Presumably we'd have to - we can't immediately go onto WTO rules day one until the exit has been worked through. That at least gives us maybe the two years as not bad, and we'd only be in the shit after we leave for the 2-3 years (optimistically) it might take to negotiate a new deal.

what will all the companies that have invested in the uk for access to the EU do? 3+ years at WTO tariffs with no guarantee of a positive outcome and I'd be looking to move my factories to mainland Europe. We had some of the highest inward investment in the whole of Europe and that's just going to disappear.

I can't believe this is happening. Is it usual to go backwards in the stages of grief?

To be frank, there aren't enough lawyers and civil servants in the world to do this in time. Its probably the most difficult diplomatic and legal challenge ever created. We will be insanely lucky to leave without having sold off Wales to greece tbh.

Mythos

If there was real justice, all those politican lying to the whole nation, spreading false information, should be imprisoned for a very very long time. But of course they will continue with their supidity and people will even applaud and chear for them, maybe even go on war for them.

This is just madness...

Lucreto

How Article 50 will be activated
566939.gif

The economy after it activates
1077417.gif

Farage's view compared to everyone else
268100.gif

Rupert Murdoch in the background
561977.gif

To be frank, there aren't enough lawyers and civil servants in the world to do this in time. Its probably the most difficult diplomatic and legal challenge ever created. We will be insanely lucky to leave without having sold off Wales to greece tbh.

Hey good to know we have the backup plan of selling Wales if all else fails

Mr. Sam

How Article 50 will be activated
566939.gif

The economy after it activates
1077417.gif

Farage's view compared to everyone else
268100.gif

Rupert Murdoch in the background
561977.gif

Simpsons will make everything alright. Now I just need to buy a generator to power my DVD players when they shut off the power grid.

f0rk

It also needs to be taken into account that a slow exit procedure works for both sides since there will be a ton of adjustments to make.

Fair enough, but this seems to go beyond slow and steady. The British obviously don't have a plan, but the EU itself seems to be tripping over itself trying to figure it out. Hopefully they decide it's too hard and work out a way of having Britain not leave, that's how they usually get around referendum that don't give the desired outcome.

TCRS

Banned

ugh, gives me shivers when I read that. thank goodness we're out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Everything we hear makes this more and more complicated to execute.

And yet apparently it's still something you can ask the general public about in a simple question, and rely on politicians with self-interest more to mind than the country's to explain what's best to do.

Lego Boss

This might be unintentionally the funniest thing l have ever read.

We'll have to scrap our armed forces and replace them with an army of senior civil servants, in fact we'll have to scrap NATO to achieve it.

Fucking LOL. Well done fucktards.

Faddy

Banned
As far as I have read about it in this thread, "leaving" it's a massively complicated process that can take decades and probably costs a fortune for everyone involved (I'm speculating on that part).
You don't start that process before you are absolutely certain that it actually/officially happens.

Leaving is easier for the UK than most other countries. If for example the Netherlands left there would be issues with embassies, currency, central bank that are more complex than the UK faces.

The two years are supposed to be used to replace EU institutions and mechanisms with your own. Like development funds, agriculture subsidy, science grants, fishing quotas, passport re-issues, re-writing of laws. The UK will need to sort all those things in the 2 years so UK citizens are not left in the lurch.

liquidtmd

Banned
Fair enough, but this seems to go beyond slow and steady. The British obviously don't have a plan, but the EU itself seems to be tripping over itself trying to figure it out. Hopefully they decide it's too hard and work out a way of having Britain not leave, that's how they usually get around referendum that don't give the desired outcome.

Thats the very thing - the 'desired outcome' we get after this process I don't believe will tackle nor resolve a whole host of reasons as to how people answered the Referendum question (whether they be validly ideological or inherently racist)

I know it's not a binary questions fault. Its where we are. This should not have happened. I am ashamed to be English

SuperSah

Banned
Everything we hear makes this more and more complicated to execute.

And yet apparently it's still something you can ask the general public about in a simple question, and rely on politicians with self-interest more to mind than the country's to explain what's best to do.

What's happened today?

As yesterday, been too busy packing up my belongings so have had little involvement. :/

no fucking way.

Leaving is easier for the UK than most other countries. If for example the Netherlands left there would be issues with embassies, currency, central bank that are more complex than the UK faces.

The two years are supposed to be used to replace EU institutions and mechanisms with your own. Like development funds, agriculture subsidy, science grants, fishing quotas, passport re-issues, re-writing of laws. The UK will need to sort all those things in the 2 years so UK citizens are not left in the lurch.

Yes, you are correct. I've confused the "decades" it takes when leaving with trade negotiations, which will come after these 2 years.

RedShift

It is a bit sad that a lot of these politicians are openly fans of shows like Game of Thrones and House of Cards. Gove especially.

You just know they're comparing themselves to Littlefinger or FU when they do shit like this. It's just a game to them, never mind real people's lives.

If the next prime minister fucks with my life here in the eu (Brit working in a school in Norway) or my wife's family (Swedish living in the uk) it will make my world come crashing down (just bought a house here in Norway)

All this brexit has made clear to me in 5 years I'm getting Norwegian citizenship for sure I hate my British nationality right now.

Tyaren

It is a bit sad that a lot of these politicians are openly fans of shows like Game of Thrones and House of Cards. Gove especially.

You just know they're comparing themselves to Littlefinger or FU when they do shit like this. It's just a game to them, never mind real people's lives.

You might be interested in this Brexit-Game of Thrones spoof:
(Spoiler warning for season 6!!!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9MFRVI60Rk

After today it isn't really up to date anymore though...

Tuffty

Michael Gove also not a fan of the peace process in N.Ireland which he has equated to Nazi appeasement. Theresa May also opposes Human Rights.

What a great time to be N.Irish.

Bashtee

Missed the last 30 pages, only read that Boris Johnson got backstabbed by Michael Gove. What else am I missing?

Two years of Anger then everyone?

Looking at some of the hate crimes in the past week, I'd say a couple of these fellow countrymen are way ahead of the rest of britan with that stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom