• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Not accepting freedom of movement from EU citizens -especially from Germany and France- would end badly for the UK.

And any restrictions on freedom of movement for us (even if it just means more paperwork) will be really bad for service export. People just won't want to contract UK firms.

Madchad

Yes, but making Britain great again and stuff.

Jeremy_Kyle.jpg

Is that a cross breed of chris evans and an Umpa Lumpa ?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, pro-Leave were Fox and Gove, pro-Remain were May (barely), Leadsom and Crabb. Fox has too many scandals to be a serious contender, so Gove is almost certainly onto the membership ballot as the Leave representative. Who do we think will make it over from the Remain side? I'd have a cheeky flutter on Leadsom, to be honest.

Hasney

So, pro-Leave were Fox and Gove, pro-Remain were May (barely), Leadsom and Crabb. Fox has too many scandals to be a serious contender, so Gove is almost certainly onto the membership ballot as the Leave representative. Who do we think will make it over from the Remain side? I'd have a cheeky flutter on Leadsom, to be honest.

Leadsom was Leave. Hell, she's who leave.eu want as the Tory leader.

What are the odds of an early election? Will labour get its shit together for on?

Public opinion is already way in favour of a new election, I think it will have to happen or you end up pissing off the electorate and risk blowing it. There is also the potential negative economic stats and effects on voters which could blow apart any chance of a tory win in 2020, it's unlikely they could risk that. I predict one next year maybe in May.

As for labour....

Izuna

Banned
Okay I'm caught up now. It's telling when a UKIP MP sounds less insufferable than a Labour MP. Emily Thornberry is terrible.

jelly

What are the odds of an early election? Will labour get its shit together for on?

Labour are deliberately a shambles so the Tories call an early election in certainty of an easy win then suddenly the ruse is up, Blair is back, the team is ready to go, pro EU, they won't initiate article 50. Labour win the election, back from brink, all is well. Hurrah.

Blair is still a disgusting individual but I can't see anyone else rising up to do the job and win.

Vagabundo

Public opinion is already way in favour of a new election, I think it will have to happen or you end up pissing off the electorate and risk blowing it. There is also the potential negative economic stats and effects on voters which could blow apart any chance of a tory win in 2020, it's unlikely they could risk that. I predict one next year maybe in May.

As for labour....

Good to know. I'll watch for the signs.

Labour are deliberately a shambles so the Tories call an early election in certainty of an easy win then suddenly the ruse is up, Blair is back, the team is ready to go, pro EU, they won't initiate article 50. Labour win the election, back from brink, all is well. Hurrah.

Blair is still a disgusting individual but I can't see anyone else rising up to do the job and win.

Yeah. This is like the Hillary/Trump issue. Hillary has a lot of baggage and some shit policies but who in their right mind would want Trump.

Izuna

Banned
Dayum

Pound still taking a dive. How low can it go? Is it possible to hit 1 pound=1 euro?

Can I just say, if it ever dives so little that it is <1 EURO, that's when we'll see a very different Britain and what might appear to be a very short bubble.

It will never happen.

I'm not an expert in any sense but, that's what I think.

I wonder how long a diving pound will effect prices. If prices on food and luxury goods go up by December then people will almost immediatly notice the difference.

It's not so much the pound diving, but that the Euro has recovered vs the dollar.. whereas the GBP hasn't recovered since last week.

Im comparing pound to SEK

Its currently at 11,2...which is the lowest its ever been the last couple of years. It was at 13,5 a few months ago

Tyaren

Was Leadsom the take back control on repeat women?

Yes, she was...and she was really scary/creepy in the debates that I've seen her in. I really feel grossed out by people that keep on a fake broad grin in fierce debates or arguments. I rather have people that are genuinely and openly upset, including Boris Johnson actually.

jelly

I wonder how long a diving pound will effect prices. If prices on food and luxury goods go up by December then people will almost immediatly notice the difference.

Maybe that's why article 50 is delayed, time to see the change before calling nope nope nope. The thing Blair said, we haven't seen the new house yet but in a few months or more, when people lose jobs, investment disappears, prices go up etc. the public might change their tune and hopefully not too late but someone like Gove is a fanatic who would push the red button, May possibly not.

It's bad as it is right now (£1 = €1.19) but £1 = €0.9 ... is really, really bad.

...or is it? Well, it is for the UK, but... €40 is ok with me :p

Yeah was really surprised when I read that earlier in the week, but seeing it falling when nothing is happening, I guess it will likely be accurate when the shit starts hitting the fan.

Maybe that's why article 50 is delayed, time to see the change before calling nope nope nope. The thing Blair said, we haven't seen the new house yet but in a few months or more, when people lose jobs, investment disappears, prices go up etc. the public might change their tune and hopefully not too late but someone like Gove is a fanatic who would push the red button, May possibly not.

Public opinion always changes when folk start to feel the pinch, in all honesty I think that's what they are waiting for to pull us back from the brink. Imagine a year from now, wages start to be cut, taxes rise, vat goes up, petrol increases a lot, food goes up. All the tough talk about respecting democracy will soon change as people become more desperate about their own financial problems, the EU will slip way down the list of importance.

jelly

Public opinion always changes when folk start to feel the pinch, in all honesty I think that's what they are waiting for to pull us back from the brink. Imagine a year from now, wages start to be cut, taxes rise, vat goes up, petrol increases a lot, food goes up. All the tough talk about respecting democracy will soon change as people become more desperate about their own financial problems, the EU will slip way down the list of importance.

How so but also worry they might still be stupid and take us out anyway and sign up to a worse EU deal with no say.

Agreed. Khan's the only one in Labour that looks like an actual competent leader right now.

Yeah, I thought he came across well against BoJo during the EU Referendum debate. If someone like May gets in and Corbyn clings badly to opposition then he's got a good platform to success where BoJo just failed by becoming leader of his party and then the next PM in 2020.

Kelthink

I imagine the rags will still blame the EU for it all.

Hasney

Oh more likely £70 for the UK. :/

Might pre-order everything I could possibly want this year on a site that doesn't charge in advance and just cancel the ones I don't want. UK retailers don't charge RRP yet, but I'm sure they'll slide closer with the pound where it's at.

There was a spreadsheet (don't know where the data came from) earlier showing Crabb was in 2nd place among MP support. May is sounding more pro-Leave with every breath. I think that's your ballot. I don't think Gove is a serious contender, not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom