• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking to economist mate of mine, who is naturally on the pessimistic side.

I asked him, at least in terms of buying luxury goods, where he think we are going to end up.

He said one word and it chilled me to the core.

Brazil.

Could it get that bad?

oti

Banned
I was talking to economist mate of mine, who is naturally on the pessimistic side.

I asked him, at least in terms of buying luxury goods, where he think we are going to end up.

Brazil.

Brazil is a tad too pessimistic. But stuff in general and especially luxury goods will get more expensive. There's no way around that.

Who would you even vote for at this point? Everyone seems bad.

If a GE was announced right now I'd vote LD. If Labour got their shit together they could swing my vote with the right messages, but I doubt it. Under ordinary circumstances I wouldn't vote Tory - under these circumstances...I just feel like I'm living a nightmare and can't wake up - pinch me, pinch me.

chadskin

Brazil.

Could it get that bad?

At least he didn't say the other word.

Syria.

Madchad

Brazil.

Could it get that bad?

We are further down the road than brazil, already had the expenses scandal etc. Only reason it is not as violent is because the country stopped having guns readily available.

oti

Banned
What's Brazil like?

PS4 = $1700

The reason for that absurd price are the Brazilian measurements for punishing imports. They want a certain percentage of the value chain to be located in Brazil, hence strengthening the Brazilian economy. If you don't do that, you have to pay more taxes. So companies let the consumers do that by selling their goods for higher prices.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Brazil.

Could it get that bad?

3lR6Hz3.jpg

There was a spreadsheet (don't know where the data came from) earlier showing Crabb was in 2nd place among MP support. May is sounding more pro-Leave with every breath. I think that's your ballot. I don't think Gove is a serious contender, not really.

I'd be very surprised if it went to a ballot of the members. Baring some scandal coming out in the next few days, May's got it in the bag, and I think everyone knows it. Crabb will step down for a decent position in the cabinet, Leadsom will probably head up May's Brexit task force, and Gove will be given some vague backroom promises about being welcomed back into the fold at some point in the future.

Edit: Actually, Conservative MPs narrow it down to two candidates don't they? In that case, Gove is unlikely to get anything as he'll surely be eliminated before it goes to the members.

Maledict

We are further down the road than brazil, already had the expenses scandal etc. Only reason it is not as violent is because the country stopped having guns readily available.

Ahem. As negative as I am about things right now, let's not go overboard here.

The expenses scandal was the most embarrassing, British scandal in history. It was (for politics) tiny amounts for doing stupid things to bump up their pay packet. No-one was bribed, no corruption occurred beyond a pack of greedy MPS making money off out-dated rules to clean their moat.

Brazils' corruption involves both parties exploiting state resources to the tune of literally hundreds of millions of pounds to fund their election campaign and bribe supporters. It also includes hiding massive amounts of debt off the countries accounts to disguise how bad things were. The Brazilian Olympics are a horrific quagmire of corruption on top of that, never mind the corpses turning up in the volleyball area.

There are many, many things to be ashamed off about our country right now - the racism, the xenophobia, the "little englander" mentality, the abject craven grab for power our politicians have revealed. But we aren't at tha level.

Yeah, I thought he came across well against BoJo during the EU Referendum debate. If someone like May gets in and Corbyn clings badly to opposition then he's got a good platform to success where BoJo just failed by becoming leader of his party and then the next PM in 2020.

He arguably had an easier time though, as an advocate for London which overwhelmingly benefits from immigration and for whom it's an integral part of its DNA. There's basically no one who has a living memory of London as anything other than a cosmopolitan melting pot. For other parts of the country this isn't the case.

I'd be very surprised if it went to a ballot of the members. Baring some scandal coming out in the next few days, May's got it in the bag, and I think everyone knows it. Crabb will step down for a decent position in the cabinet, Leadsom will probably head up May's Brexit task force, and Gove will be given some vague backroom promises about being welcomed back into the fold at some point in the future.

Damn those Emporer Palpatine morphs earlier seem even more on point.

The expenses scandal was the most embarrassing, British scandal in history. It was (for politics) tiny amounts for doing stupid things to bump up their pay packet. No-one was bribed, no corruption occurred beyond a pack of greedy MPS making money off out-dated rules to clean their moat.

I had a Spanish friend at the time who was all "I don't get the big deal?! A few hundred pounds for a duck moat? Who cares! Our defence minister literally stole 25 million Euros! This is nothing!"

I think it's to our credit that it was such a big deal despite the - in the grand scheme of things - small numbers involved.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I had a Spanish friend at the time who was all "I don't get the big deal?! A few hundred pounds for a duck moat? Who cares! Our defence minister literally stole 25 million Euros! This is nothing!"

I think it's to our credit that it was such a big deal despite the - in the grand scheme of things - small numbers involved.

Hey, don't bring our national misery to this thread. This is the UK Mockery OT.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36680463
"When Britain leaves the European Union, free movement of labour and people will then come to an end," he said, adding "a range of options" would then need to be debated "on the nature of the relationship we have with regard to the movement of people and workers".

He outlined five guidelines which he said should be followed in the UK's exit negotiations with the EU.

These were: freedom of trade for UK businesses with the EU and for EU businesses with the UK, protection of residency rights for EU citizens living in the UK, and UK citizens living elsewhere in Europe, existing protections at work, the UK's role in the European Investment Bank and the rights of UK financial services to win business across the EU to be maintained.
Is there a reason that UK Labour is both buying into the anti-immigration sentiment and further entertaining the delusion that this will somehow be achieved while securing the latter demands.

Maledict

Yep. I mean, it's not excuseable but at the same time it really is nothing at all compared to...well anywhere. Even Germany has better bribery and financial scandals. Hell, America effectively just legalized bribery!

The scale of corruption in parliament is, compared to any other equivalent country, so absurdly, ridiculously tiny it's embarrassing. If I didn't know several MPs and could see first hand the fact they don't actually have much money at all, I'd suspect there was some massive scandal behind the scenes or something.

Maledict

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36680463
Is there a reason that UK Labour is both buying into the anti-immigration sentiment and further entertaining the delusion that this will somehow be achieved while securing the latter demands.

Because Corbyn and McDonnell are a bunch of ****s.

They have been against the EU since we joined in the 70s, view it as a neoliberal corporatist organization, and undermined the remain campaign from the start. They don't want freedom of movement and immigration for the same reason Trade unions didn't in the 70s - migrant Labour replacing trade union jobs.

Both sides know this isn't possible, but they emphasize the immigration over the economy because they feel it's politically better for them. Both parties are trying to play to the 52% crowd and ignoring the 48% remain crowd.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
They are doing it because, going by recent events, here is the list of things British politicians understand about the EU:

Croyles

I still can't believe it's the conservative party that's doing this.

It's strange, but until you mentioned this I haven't even thought about it. I guess in the end it's not too surprising as all of the parties just seem completely skewed at this point. When was the last time Labour was actually focused on labour?

kmag

Worth a read for those wanting to understand the nitty-gritty of the situation, a Civil Service document on the process of withdrawal from earlier this year.

To all the Brexiters saying they'll need to agree a deal with us.

A considerably larger proportion of the UK economy is dependent on the EU than vice versa. This would have an impact on the dynamic of the negotiations. The EU is by a wide margin the UK’s biggest trading partner. Some 44 per cent of our exports go to the EU. The UK is more reliant on exports to the EU than the rest of the EU is reliant on exports to the UK. Taken as a share of the economy, only 3.1 per cent of GDP among the other 27 Member States is linked to exports to the UK, while 12.6 per cent of UK GDP is linked to exports to the EU

Real Hero

The media have been saying labour need to become anti immigrant for years or they will never win again, corbyn specifically is portrayed as way too lax on immigration to ever appeal to labour voters

kmag

The wing of the Labour party which have now taken it over hold the EU in contempt anyway.

They also are against the free movement of labour. Such is their muddle that they think free movement of capital is fine, but not of people.

Hazzuh

Because we don't have enough party infighting right now, Farage is attacking Carswell:

Also, utterly bizarre that McDonnell and Corbyn are taking credit for the Tories dropping the fiscal rule. Truly batty, I don't know who they think will believe that outside of their already slavishly devoted base.

They also are against the free movement of labour. Such is their muddle that they think free movement of capital is fine, but not of people.

I think in their ideal world they would get rid of free movement of capital, services & goods before movement. They are just too cowardly to actually admit that.

PJV3

It's strange, but until you mentioned this I haven't even thought about it. I guess in the end it's not too surprising as all of the parties just seem completely skewed at this point. When was the last time Labour was actually focused on labour?

I got the de-industrialisation period under Thatcher as it clobbered labour areas and it was in decline, the City is like the dogs bollocks of finance and Tory land.

And people like Leadsom were moderate Eurosceptics and now they are prepared to go WTO and tank the economy.

*Splinter

Hey you know how Remain failed to inform Welsh voters of the significant funding that Wales receives from the EU? Fortunately, this Leave campaigner had their back:

The Milford Mercury said:
Pembrokeshire county councillor Vivien Stoddard said the evidence shows that the EU isn't working for the country's economy.
"Six billion pounds of EU funding has been given to West Wales and the valleys over the years. But the cash has done little to improve the economy of Pembrokeshire," she said.
1200.gif

Maledict

The media have been saying labour need to become anti immigrant for years or they will never win again, corbyn specifically is portrayed as way too lax on immigration to ever appeal to labour voters

And the amusing thing is, Corbyn actually isn't that lax on immigration. He's only taken that public stance because the main party, and his supporters, are. Corbyn has always been against free movement of Labour for the same reason the trade unions were back in the 70s - it can cause wage depression and replacement of trade union jobs with non-Union workers.

klonere

Banned
Hey you know how Remain failed to inform Welsh voters of the significant funding that Wales receives from the EU? Fortunately, this Leave campaigner had their back:

1200.gif

'They gave us a fuckton of money but we failed to spend it in an effective way'

haHAA

Lego Boss

Because we don't have enough party infighting right now, Farage is attacking Carswell:

Also, utterly bizarre that McDonnell and Corbyn are taking credit for the Tories dropping the fiscal rule. Truly batty, I don't know who they think will believe that outside of their already slavishly devoted base.

I think in their ideal world they would get rid of free movement of capital, services & goods before movement. They are just too cowardly to actually admit that.

OK. It's time GAF started a political party.

I might post a new thread: If NeoGAF had a political party what would its policies be and who would be its members.

KMAG as head of the Civil Service?

Izuna

Banned
OK. It's time GAF started a political party.

I might post a new thread: If NeoGAF had a political party what would its policies be and who would be its members.

KMAG as head of the Civil Service?

At the end of my GCSEs, my school had a mock GE where we made manifestos. That's where I realised to never trust my friends to have good views.

The most fascist argument that we ended up having to include, was that prisoners would be forced into labour. And not just any labour, running human (hamster) wheels to generation energy for the rest of the population.

My policy was that the upper income tax would be 49% instead of 50%, just because it would be fair if they at least got a little more than half.

Haha, I was so fucking naïve back then.

Beefy

Might pre-order everything I could possibly want this year on a site that doesn't charge in advance and just cancel the ones I don't want. UK retailers don't charge RRP yet, but I'm sure they'll slide closer with the pound where it's at.

I've done that with Amazon.

Maledict

So Labour have set out their stall for Brexit negotiations. No contesting of Brexit, and no contesting of a need to curtail freedom of movement. Five key points are:

1) Freedom of trade in the UK and EU (note not specifically single market access)
2) REsidency rights for EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU
3) Protections at work from EU law maintained
4) UK role in the EU investment bank maintained
5) Financial services ability to business in Europe maintained

It's a weird hodgepodge of things. Number 1 seems to be a step away from single market access, which could mean anything. Number 2 is absolutely on point and ridiculous it's even up for discussion. Same with number 3. Number 4 is just bizarre - 90% of the EU Investment bank funding goes to EU countries, why on earth would THIS be one of our main points for discussion? In the scope of things who cares? And number 5 is sensible and slightly unexpected.

My main complaint is that Labour is absolutely set on Brexit. Right now I feel I have a stronger chance that the Tories back away from it than Labour does under the current leadership, and it does feel like a complete betrayal by the party. They seem to be eager to accept it as a done deal.

Lego Boss

Yes and in a tweet, McDonnell is saying we will 'oppose alls changes to employment law'.

If you're in power you don't oppose it, you just don't do it, but he's basically saying that they are no more than a party of protest.

I think Corbyn, in his own weak, B-male hubristic way is just as culpable as any on the right. I don't think I'll be voting for them again anytime soon.

Hazzuh

Another issue is that the Labour party has reduced itself to such irrelevance that no one is going to scrutinize any of McDonnell or Corbyn's nonsense anymore.

Izuna

Banned
Labour's plans for Brexit is actually, to some extent, the worst case scenario in the long run. They'll be at the helm of a recession while failing to teach the population that we're better off completely out, and then after 5 years (or less) of power, Britain will go SUPER right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom