• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmen

Wow, Gove really does seem
alien
in his mannerisms. I am now convinced London will look like central Yharnham by the end of next year. Won't be a good place for outsiders, unfortunately.

AHA-Lambda

You are aware that in case of a rerun the first far right president of the EU could lead Austria? He's staunchly anti-EU. So if he would be elected this time Austria would be next holding a referendum like the British one.

Doesn't look like hope but the beginning of the end...

yeah i got a bit excited too quickly from the headline =/

Tyaren

Please not Leadsom, I'm quite certain she eats children :(

(No idea where she stands policy-wise, but she seems more likely to hit the red button than May)

Watched some of the BBC Brexit debates and this Leadsom woman caused me to shiver. With a maniac grin she repeated like a record player: "Take back control, take back control, take back control..." over and over again. At one point the audience began laughing at her.
Seeing her for the first time, I thought she looked and acted like pure evil. O:

Hasney

Wow, Gove really does seem
alien
in his mannerisms. I am now convinced London will look like central Yharnham by the end of next year. Won't be a good place for outsiders, unfortunately.

tPMQd0k.png

chadskin

You are aware that in case of a rerun the first far right president of the EU could lead Austria? He's staunchly anti-EU. So if he would be elected this time Austria would be next holding a referendum like the British one.

Doesn't look like hope but the beginning of the end...

The Austrian president does not have the power to call for a referendum.

Zelias

Banned
Colleague at work was telling me today of a friend of his in Momentum, who while in London saw two young Tories chest-bump each other. One said "Dude, I just met the Gover!"

The Gover. I can't stop laughing.

Dave X (retired armed robber).

Is he on a triple locked pension with his tax/spend wealth redistribution? Robin Hood social worker?

Is this comedy or real life? I don't know what level of reality I am meant to be operating at any more.

So long there isn't King Charles, we didn't enter the bad end timeline.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I checked what they're talking about, and it seems to be some giant Twitter drama:
When the Observer's political editor, Toby Helm, wrote a story last week about school sports he was attacked by a Twitter account linked to the Conservative party. The account has raised concerns within the party – yet the vicious attacks go on.

And more to the point, I could not help but make connections between the @toryeducation comments and other recent entries on Twitter in a similar vein from people close to Michael Gove, the secretary of state for education. Last Sunday night – and bearing in mind some recent ugly controversies involving the Department for Education – I began to suspect this all might, just might, be part of a pattern – that some kind of "black ops" campaign might be being run by Gove's supporters.

It struck me on Sunday and Monday that if a senior figure in the department could make such remarks about a Tory MP who had worked there as a minister until months before, it was certainly not inconceivable that the kind of attacks that had gone out quite regularly on @toryeducation might also be the work of insiders. This Twitter feed is always up to the minute on policy announcements, highly informed, and is very unlikely to be the work of some outside obsessive. It is swift with robust, politically charged comment and rebuttals, fiercely pro-Gove but at the same time often deeply personal.

I trawled its past content and found an abundance of unpleasant material. The Financial Times journalist Chris Cook, who in 2011 had a scoop about Gove and his advisers using personal emails for official business, had been smeared repeatedly in tweets and retweets posted by @toryeducation. It retweeted a post from the mystery feed @stevehiltonguru saying Cook had asked a girl out and been declined and accused him of being a Walter Mitty character.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/feb/02/michael-gove-department-twitter-attacks

Maledict

Well, one of the rumours re Gove was that Boris had refused to give Dominic Cummings a job in the new administration and that's why Gove backed out...

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Had a friend message me on facebook saying Gove wants to scrap the barnett formula apparently =/
Yeah, apparently he made a "clear hint":
Michael Gove’s clear hint that he could scrap the Barnett formula, the Treasury system which fixes Scotland’s budget, and change the fiscal framework under the Scotland Act has brought a furious response from the Scottish National party.

“It’s absolutely outrageous that a prospective prime minister is now using a Leave vote to imply that Scotland’s budget could be slashed – just months after the Tories agreed a new financial settlement for Scotland,” Russell said.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-conservatives-reel-from-boris-johnsons-exit

Beefy

The Austrian postal vote fraud has been found at last. It should have been found out the minute it was announced as many people on UK politics sites knew it when their website crashed before the postal counts had all been counted and then those after were totally different ratios of support from those that were counted pre the site crash:

Austria's presidential run-off election must be held again, the country's Constitutional Court has ruled.

The decision will give the anti-immigration Freedom Party's narrowly defeated candidate Norbert Hofer another chance to become the first far-right head of state in the European Union.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-07-01/...-off-election-must-be-held-again-court-rules/

Austria come join us in hell!

Arksy

Well, I'm on my way back to my native homeland of Australia. It was a lot of fun coming over here to campaign. The UK is an amazing country, and whatever happens, I'm sure it will be fine in the long run. Chin up!

My normal combative pro-leave self will have to resume at a later date. It was a pleasure!

Lego Boss

Well, I'm on my way back to my native homeland of Australia. It was a lot of fun coming over here to campaign. The UK is an amazing country, and whatever happens, I'm sure it will be fine in the long run. Chin up!

My normal combative pro-leave self will have to resume at a later date. It was a pleasure!

No problems, gald you enjoyed it here!

You can leave it all behind and go back to that country that we colonised, where al lthe weird animals are

Don't you have the points based system there?

How's that working for you?

Oh, hang on a minute . . .

Arksy

No problems, gald you enjoyed it here!

You can leave it all behind and go back to that country that we colonised, where al lthe weird animals are

Don't you have the points based system there?

How's that working for you?

Oh, hang on a minute . . .

Yes! Make sure you don't get it confused with our asylum policy. Our skilled migration system is currently working (fairly) well, not perfect but it's a pretty robust system. Our refugee policies are fucking stain our country's image and is a source of great shame for our otherwise amazing country.

Binabik15

Now I know who Gove reminds me of: Roland Koch, German hardline conservative who doesn't act as robotically as Gove (more like a slimeball), but certainly has just as much empathy.

RKoch.jpg

Mindwipe

Sorry, I meant it isn't happening this year since both the favourites are saying that now.

Also, an MP wants to do something to Gove, but it might be GoT spoilers (not sure, don't watch it)
cut off his dick

CmR6v4pXgAAKQ4f.jpg

Whelp!

(I don't think that's too spoilery tbh).

Izuna

Banned
I'm watching 30/06 Question Time for the first time. This audience and MPs on the panel are...

*sigh* I don't know what to think.

That girl who didn't want to say how she voted. Come on son.

cabot

Both big candidates don't want freedom of movement.

Ignoring potential bluffs, I find that fairly upsetting considering how potentially damaging that could be to the country as a whole.

Such a drastic measure doesn't seem fair to carry out on a mere 52% mandate.

Ignoring potential bluffs, I find that fairly upsetting considering how potentially damaging that could be to the country as a whole.

Not accepting freedom of movement from EU citizens -especially from Germany and France- would end badly for the UK.

Pandy

Funny how history repeats, kinda. Right now their best candidate is someone who isn't eligible and probable doesn't want it - yet...

Sadiq Khan (Mayor of London)

Equally the same can be said for the poster child choice, David Milliband. Of the eligible the best choices are Yvette Cooper or Chuka Umunna - are they too Blairite to win now though?
Agreed. Khan's the only one in Labour that looks like an actual competent leader right now.

cabot

Not accepting freedom of movement from EU citizens -especially from Germany and France- would end badly for the UK.

yep, and Gove (unsure about May so far) would probably be okay with pissing off the 48% who wanted to remain because democracy.

If anything the super close result means we can't go full measures, we need the least damaging compromise.

jelly

Gove is a loon and May is possibly playing it safe to get votes or they both are which is frightening if they consider destroying us with article 50 is the best course of action for support and the UK rather than thinking, leaving the EU is insane, we have it good so my mandate is stay in the EU as is, vote for me.

cabot

Gove is a loon and May is possibly playing it safe to get votes or they both are which is frightening if they consider destroying us with article 50 is the best course of action for support and the UK rather than thinking, leaving the EU is insane, we have it good so my mandate is stay in the EU as is, vote for me.

are you one of them experts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom