• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolodzeo

So I'm assuming whichever party is still in charge for the next 2 years will want to delay this for as long as possible, since logically there's no way they can negotiate an exit deal that's favorable to both the EU and the British populace, right? Wouldn't actually compromising on a deal be political suicide in this climate?

Like Cameron's?

Oh ffs, I should have known that was the response I would get. I know you are trying to play devil's advocate and make this all about facts.. but you came to me asking for me to prove what she said was lies.

You've just said... "they're kinda lies... But remains did too!"

I know it's a bit of a strawman, but both sides have been full of shit all the way through. In fact this is politicians 101, so to suggest they're the spawn of the devil because they put a bit of spin on something isnt painting them in much of a worse light than most politicians.

So we're just ignoring the revolutionary war here, taxation without representation, undue legal process, freedom of religion and press....

I mean seriously, people equating this to the American revolution are fucking morons. This is about isolationalism and xenophobia. American Revolution was about basic human rights.

Fuck off

Glad you are able to be so eloquent in offering an opposing opinion. I am discussing the economic impacts of separation, and providing a relevant example. You can be as sensationalistic as you like, but I am more interested in having balanced discussion about the real impacts. If you are going to get emotional like this when building on lessons from history, and immediately assume that all the variables have to align in order to draw a comparison, there is little to be discussed.

And now the EU is literally unaccountable to Britain because the country just voted to remove its right to influence EU policies. But I guess pining for the good old days of colonizing and enslaving the world has merit, too.

Um, wasn't a lot of that economic power rooted in colonialism?

Again with the sensationalism. Separation from the EU does not automatically mean returning to the dark days of colonialism. I am merely speaking to the fact that the UK has the ability to be resourceful, and utilize ingenuity to operate outside of the EU just fine.

Except that in that century the world has drastically changed and serverely undermined and undercut many of the industries that Britain used to become an economic power.

Outside the EU we face harder to negotiate trade deals exacebated by a weaker currency, we face the death of the farming and agriculture industries now they are 2.5bn worse off yearly and have been on a steep decline for 10 years. The youth of the country have worse prospects for employment and the north will wither and die further than it already has.

Yes, I completely agree that the world has moved on, and the once strong industries have become shells of their former selves. And all of this was still occurring whilst being a member of the EU. Becoming independent from the EU offers the opportunity of forging new relationships with trading partners without having to deal with an inefficient intermediary apparatus standing in the way. Granted, forming new trade deals will not be without its hardships, but the UK is hardly the only state that exists outside the EU that contends with this reality.

I endorse this!!

Haha at least there is someone who does :)

Right, this is the problem. A number of UK voters still think it's 1880 and the sun rises and sets on the British Empire.

Unfortunately for the UK, it's 2016 and England has been increasingly more irrelevant since the World Wars destroyed generations of people and ruined the British economy, followed by the shrinking of the empire. The UK's relevance economically and militarily is really via the EU.

But hey, if being a marginalized and isolated group of countries is the UK's plan, Brexit made sense. I'm guessing to a lot of voters, they don't really care about being important on the world's stage. So be it.

As clearly there are many people that are still alive from this era. The UK's increasing irrelevance economically and on the world stage is because of the EU, not in spite of it. If you fade into a crowd where everyone shares the same ideas, conform to the same methodologies, and only have outside economic interactions through the same intermediary as numerous other nations, you tend to lose your identity. It's hard to be relevant on the world stage if you are only ever on the EU stage.

No country in the world can stand on its own.

Very observant. Yes, indeed it is true that no country can stand on its own, but most countries do exist outside of the EU.

Okay, I shouldn't have to highlight this but a century is a very long time ago. You think being "subservient" to a bureaucracy where Britain had a seat at the head of the table is bad. I wonder how you will feel about being bullied by US, China and probably the EU too for trade deals and pretty much anything.

I agree that a century is a long time ago, but that doesn't mean that it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Nations do not rise to prominence by accident, but if there's a will there's a way. The UK was continuing to decline despite being a member at the head of the table as you put it. But being on a board of directors for a circus still means that you are part of a circus.

To your point of being bullied around by the big boys and risk being left out in the cold, there are countless trade agreements that exist between nations that are not members of the EU at all. The EU's original purpose was to be a trade block before it lost it's way, and turned into a support structure. Canada for instance is doing just fine with international trade deals as an independent country.

The rhetoric about 'independence' equates Britain leaving the EU with anti-colonialism and/or freedom from totalitarianism.

They are demonstrably light years apart.

You are drawing the wrong conclusions my friend. Independence is simply about being reliant on oneself. Granted, you cannot divorce the reasons and consequences that precipitated in the motivation to seek independence, but it does not invalidate comparing relevant evidence from history. There will never exist an example, in the real world, where all the variables are identical. So we must draw comparisons to the information at hand.

You do know we live in the year 2016, right?

And that is why there is no excuse for Britain to be handcuffed to a high maintenance relationship, wherein the costs outweigh the benefits. We exist in a time of globalization, where trade between independent states can flourish without suffocating bureaucracy. But thank you for informing me.

The UK actually joined the EC in 1973 because it was trailing behind economically...

And at the time it was an intelligent decision. The European Community was functioning as an effective trade block. Today's EU is a very different beast, and why leaving it is an intelligent decision given its current state and today's globalized reality.

Go_Ly_Dow

This has been a dark 1-2 years for UK politics. We, the people, need to get together and start truly confronting the vile shitstains smeared across our tabloids.

Bad. Companies are pulling out of the U.K. Because trade is no longer free. The GBP has taken a 10% hit. Lots of job losses and a possible breakup of the U.K. Is near. Because Scotland and Ireland want to stay in the EU. Congrats England, you chose to leave to preserve the UK and you only caused it to implode.
I aplogized if this sounds dumb and I'm embarrassed to ask this, but is....Emgland and UK the same thing, right? I'm confused by your last sentence.

sora87

As many have said (including me, MANY pages ago) it's downright misleading. She may as well have said "the sun is out today; see, Brexit isn't so bad"...oh wait, Farage actually did say that.

I chose to just believe that when I seen it and have some hope that things aren't as bad as they seem but yeah, stupid of me. I shouldn't believe things without proof even if it'd give me a little piece of mind.

JP_

Banned
So you suggest they don't vote? That's what certain members of my family did since they couldn't get their heads around what it meant leaving or staying in and other people I know did vote but left the polling stations confused what they just voted for. This "putting the blame" on people's heads is really pathetic when the public were obviously confused since politicians change their stories every other week all of the time. Both sides were awful at explaining their points. Especially the Remain side since that's why we have the results that we have now.

As an outsider that casually kept up with things, it seemed like all the experts argued it'd be a bad idea for them to leave. I never saw any economic arguments from the Leave side other than a foggy notion that without EU regulations, they'd prosper somehow... even though they'd have to abide by EU regulations to trade with EU and not trading with EU isn't really an option, so.... it's basically pointless to leave. Seems weird to turn around and claim nobody explained things.

kadotsu

Banned
I aplogized if this sounds dumb and I'm embarrassed to ask this, but is....Emgland and UK the same thing, right? I'm confused by your last sentence.

England-vs-GB-Vs-UK.gif

Linkified

I know people want to say the EU is going to be vindictive towards the UK but when you read statements like the following:

Markus Kerber said:
Imposing trade barriers, imposing protectionist measures between our two countries – or between the two political centres, the European Union on the one hand and the UK on the other – would be a very, very foolish thing in the 21st century. The BDI would urge politicians on both sides to come up with a trade regime that enables us to uphold and maintain the levels of trade we have

That is how it should be not this foolhardy punishment of the UK as seen by some on this very forum to puff up its chest.

The EU felt like it was always far too outdated and far too bloated whilst having a can do attitude which possibly resulted in EU adding far too many countries far too quick. All I hope is that our leave vote has encouraged the EU to look at how it portrays itself in all matters. Such as looking towards having citizens directly voting for the President and realising that CAP is actual inefficient way of farming.

Izuna

Banned
I know it's a bit of a strawman, but both sides have been full of shit all the way through. In fact this is politicians 101, so to suggest they're the spawn of the devil because they put a bit of spin on something isnt painting them in much of a worse light than most politicians.

Remain has not been full of shit, when almost everything feared about a Leave campaign has literally happened on an economic standpoint. As well as the fact that we have Leave campaigners backtracking on their BS claims which were called out on... 350mil going to NHS by Nigel Farage -- and that MEP stating we would still have free movement of labour if he had his way -- not to mention a possible 2nd referendum on Scotland leaving.

What I understand is, no pr-Brexit campaigner has ANY good news about the future of the UK. So to ease the fears, social media messages like the one I cropped, full of lies, is the only good news around.

You can read above for the rest (I posted some links, others have weighed in) -- but that part about FTSE... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...erling-surge-or-slump-as-the-eu-referendum-c/ this says the exact opposite. Can I see any reputable source that seems to tell the 100% different story?

I want one piece of hard evidence that any of the crap she said was true, a single news article or link of a reputable source, please.

As much as I am opposed to the fact that we have left, I am not picking and choosing where I get my information from. I only ever hear brexit good news in a comment that links to nothing.

Did you even read the article you cited?

The FTSE 100 ended the week up more than 2pc despite a tumultuous day of trading which saw it plunge as much as 8.7pc when the market opened.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXFTSE:UKX

Look at the closing data of 17/06 and the closing data of 24/6. Now what it really interesting to see is that despite this "loses" the market bounced back and closed on a whole 2% point gain, for all we know this could be a bear trap but the reality is that the market has been on an artificial rally up to the last 2 weeks, people that know nothing of this should speak, the money that "evaporated" didn't go anywhere it just changed hands, from the people that sold on the sell rallies to the people that bought on the dip and made a killing this day.

BKK

Are you in the military?

Boris? Nigel?

Who the hell are you to speak for everyone?

Err, that sounds nice and all but... you and what army m8?

I am confused.

Nope, just a working class British person who want's to let the Gibraltarians know that we will respect their rights, and won't let the British Government make a deal with the Spanish to bully the Gibraltarians if they vote for independence. They can rely on us (people with the same point of view as me) to not let the British government make deals behind their backs.

JP_

Banned

"The U.K., made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, is an island nation in northwestern Europe."

My loose understanding: Scotland recently voted to stay/leave the UK, but decided to stay. They also voted to stay in the EU. So now they may vote again to leave UK so they can join EU and leave England behind.

Shahed

You have the right to vote but the responsibility to inform yourself sufficiently on how to vote.

If people didnt understand the summaries people were giving them why did they vote?
Pretty much. When the general elections happened I wasn't sure who to vote for. Several partoes had good and bad points and ultimately with me not knowing enough ane who to vote for I abdicated. In this instance I strongly believed remaining in the EU was the right thing to so that's what I did.

No vote is better than dummy or random votes without understanding the situation.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
So are there any downsides to getting dual citizenship with Ireland? I am eligible, wont be an issue, seems a bit too good to be true honestly but that makes me think there are some hidden caveats I cant think of.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I know people want to say the EU is going to be vindictive towards the UK but when you read statements like the following:

That is how it should be not this foolhardy punishment of the UK as seen by some on this very forum to puff up its chest.

It's not about being "vindictive" though. It's not petty, it's setting a precedent. They don't want more members jumping ship. Surely that makes sense?

So are there any downsides to getting dual citizenship with Ireland? I am eligible, wont be an issue, seems a bit too good to be true honestly but that makes me think there are some hidden caveats I cant think of.

I'm exploring the option myself, so would be interested. Mum's side is Irish.

Remain has not been full of shit, when almost everything feared about a Leave campaign has literally happened on an economic standpoint. As well as the fact that we have Leave campaigners backtracking on their BS claims which were called out on... 350mil going to NHS by Nigel Farage -- and that MEP stating we would still have free movement of labour if he had his way.

It's only been a day. Which is fuck all in economic terms. I thought it was quite telling that the pound didnt tank too hard against the Euro, meaning that the Eurozone is not exactly seen as a safe haven by the markets. The usual shit occurred - bit of an overzealous sell-off, money moving into commodities which sent the mining sector up etc. Let's see where we are in a few weeks. I work at an investment bank and the atmosphere on the trading floor was not as frantic as I expected.

As many have said (including me, MANY pages ago) it's downright misleading. She may as well have said "the sun is out today; see, Brexit isn't so bad"...oh wait, Farage actually did say that.

Yes but as I argue before it is misleading to believe that the reaction of the markets yesterday were all about the economic outcome of the UK as an independent nation and not as part of the EU.

You wanna know what really happen? People gamble on Remain, and did so for the last week inflating the market from the start of the week to gain almost 5% if the closing was before the "colapse". See how you can create any narrative you want if you don't include all information? The markets were expecting remain and people gamble on folloing people out of their money in a bear/bull trap (which it is will be determinate by how the market in general reacts next week), articles like the one listed are misleading at best, the money in the market didn't disappear, it just changed hands.

BKK

Just do it ... more benefits than negatives.

pigeon

Banned
The special relationship between the United States and the United Kingdom is enduring, and the United Kingdom’s membership in Nato remains a vital cornerstone of US foreign, security, and economic policy

“So too is our relationship with the European Union, which has done so much to promote stability, stimulate economic growth, and foster the spread of democratic values and ideals across the continent and beyond.

He continued: “The United Kingdom and the European Union will remain indispensable partners of the United States even as they begin negotiating their ongoing relationship to ensure continued stability, security, and prosperity for Europe, Great Britain, and Northern Ireland, and the world. 

What part of that makes you think the "back of the queue" thing is no longer in force? What were you expecting him to say? "Now that the UK quit the EU fuck those bastards?"

You'll note that he said nothing about the US beginning trade agreement negotiations with the UK.

i would guess the US adds a lot of leverage to the UK in negotiations with the EU.

What are you talking about? Why would the United States care what kind of trade agreement the UK gets with the EU?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
It's not about being "vindictive" though. It's not petty, it's setting a precedent. They don't want more members jumping ship. Surely that makes sense?

I'm exploring the option myself, so would be interested. Mum's side is Irish.

Yeah same, so long as you have Irish grandparents you are fine, im just a little skeptical of going into this, gives access to the EU, can use irish passport to move and work just as before. Kinda sounds too good to be true.

What part of that makes you think the "back of the queue" thing is no longer in force? What were you expecting him to say? "Now that the UK quit the EU fuck those bastards?"

You'll note that he said nothing about the US beginning trade agreement negotiations with the UK.

What are you talking about? Why would the United States care what kind of trade agreement the UK gets with the EU?

Why do you so strongly believe that he will stick to his rhetoric?

Carl2291

You really think the US will threaten it's relation with the whole EU just for the benefit of part of the UK?
And strong UK is in the interests of not just the US, but NATO too.

I don't think we will be seeing the EU cripple the UK.

suedester

Banned
Experts warned the UK will find itself in a recession at some point. The same experts who said the pound would fall and jobs would go overseas. Both of which we have seen happen today, while we are still in the EU.

You don't need to be an expert to know the pounds going to fall and some banking jobs will go to an EU country. Any idiot could predict that. Recession though, that is harder to predict. It's being claimed the UK is currently in recession or will be when negotiating. That is bullshit.

Condom

Yeah same, so long as you have Irish grandparents you are fine, im just a little skeptical of going into this, gives access to the EU, can use irish passport to move and work just as before. Kinda sounds too good to be true.

Dude having multiple citizenships is a big privilege, just do it. No downsides afaik.

hawk2025

Yes but as I argue before it is misleading to believe that the reaction of the markets yesterday were all about the economic outcome of the UK as an independent nation and not as part of the EU.

You wanna know what really happen? People gamble on Remain, and did so for the last week inflating the market from the start of the week to gain almost 5% if the closing was before the "colapse". See how you can create any narrative you want if you don't include all information? The markets were expecting remain and people gamble on folloing people out of their money in a bear/bull trap (which it is will be determinate by how the market in general reacts next week), articles like the one listed are misleading at best, the money in the market didn't disappear, it just changed hands.

...yeah, that makes no sense.

Izuna

Banned
Did you even read the article you cited?

https://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXFTSE:UKX

Look at the closing data of 17/06 and the closing data of 24/6. Now what it really interesting to see is that despite this "loses" the market bounced back and closed on a whole 2% point gain, for all we know this could be a bear trap but the reality is that the market has been on an artificial rally up to the last 2 weeks, people that know nothing of this should speak, the money that "evaporated" didn't go anywhere it just changed hands, from the people that sold on the sell rallies to the people that bought on the dip and made a killing this day.

Here I say thank you for explaining that to me.

It's been a first.

...yeah, that makes no sense.

Seriously? Wanna discuss more about it? Because that is exactly what happen. People that were on the buy rally sold as soon as leave won, the market crashed but then bounced back. It sucks that you sold during the sell rally but if you did out of fear then investment isn't for you.

Also a short term sell off is always triggered by an unexpected event, the market crashed and then bounced back when the people that started the sell decided to buy their old stocks again and keep the difference as profits. that money that "dissapear" was mostly money that changed hands from the poor bastards that bought high and decided to sell on the dip and the people that sold "high" and decided to rebuy on the dip.

Soph

And strong UK is in the interests of not just the US, but NATO too.

I don't think we will be seeing the EU cripple the UK.

The problem in your line of reasoning is the fact that the rest of the EU is a stronger part of NATO than just UK. So if the US needs to choose, the choice would already be made. They won't though, best course of action for US is to stay neutral on all accounts and keep friendly with both parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom