• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

So why not punish Norway for not being a member of the EU? If you can collapse their economy it would send a strong message.

They didn't make a public show of saying they didn't want to exit a membership they benefited from.
It's why they're going to be closer to Turquey than Norway.

suedester

Banned
Because Norway were never part of the EU, left then tried to negotiate favourable terms. They negotiated what always being outside of the EU. The UK has no such leverage and is in a completely different position.

Your argument makes no sense. The UK imports more from the EU than Norway so is in a stronger position. The EU might want to punish the UK if they want to be vindictive but I doubt it.

tuxfool

Banned
3rRgjWR.png

What I want to know is... when will UKIP stop lying?

Why do they have to? Who is forcing them to? Plenty of rubes take anything they say at face value.

Mifune

Mehmber
I'm trying to explain the sentiment of the older generation, I'm not saying that I agree with it. There's a huge swing between remain and leave when you look at younger and older voters. I don't buy the "most old people are racist" argument.

What is this EU interference that the older generation resents?

Crumpo

Reading some of the posts in this thread, you would think the UK is going to turn into a third world country over the weekend.

Socially we are a third-rate country. Ignore the economics and threat of job losses and that's still enough to make you wince

If the EU forgave Greek debt on a significant scale and refinanced the place, Italy and Spain would have held up their hands the very next day, demanding some of that free cash. That would have collapsed the system.

I personally think the EU could have handled Greece better, but there was no obvious solution at hand. But perhaps now is the time to restructure all of Southern-Europe's debts, Germany will want to improve the EU's cohesion. Maybe some good will come of this....

They should never have let Greece in in the first place. It's a corrupt bureaucracy where taxes were not properly collected and bribery was rife. No wonder people in this country were pissed off that we had to pay good money after bad to them.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I love how leave campaign kept going on about Turkey joining the EU and how that meant Britain should leave the EU.

Yet now, it is going to have to stand right next to Turkey, and get treated JUST like Turkey.

Fucking hell!

jelly

Watched a bit of newsnight and it was interesting from what Tony Blairs former chief of staff I think said, any new deals, terms should be up for voting and any new leadership needs to lay out a manifesto and a vote for what the new terms will be which may be our out if the new deal is shit.

Basically we voted against something but not for something so there should be another public vote to decide if we want the new deal, whatever that ends up being.

geordiemp

It would plainly be immoral for the UK to exercise any voice within the EU from today until Article 50 just as it would plainly be immoral for any British civil servant working in the EU to draw a salary from hard-working European taxpayers they intend to stab in the back.

Oh, so should UK just stop sending our £ 350 million a week and pay our staff directly ?

Really ?

operon

I'm being realistic, not condescending. The amount of hyperbolic, puerile nonsense I've read today is fucking ridiculous.
You can't say that it's not on both sides in here. Some of us are naturally concerned being from the south living in ni I'm worried about the border. Being a dad worried about my son's future and listening to politicans saying we will be ok because we're great Britain doesn't reassure me

Crumpo

Watched a bit of newsnight and it was interesting from what Tony Blairs former chief of staff I think said, any new deals, terms should be up for voting and any new leadership needs to lay out a manifesto and a vote for what the new terms will be which may be our out if the new deal is shit.

Basically we voted against something but not for something so there should be another public vote to decide if we want the new deal, whatever that ends up being.

This is exactly what I said to my wife today. Even leave voters can agree if we negotiate a shit deal we should agree to take it or back out.

Tosyn_88

I wonder how long this negotiated exit will take in actual terms. I can see both sides trying to get the best deal for each of their camp, I can't help but feel that England won't get the better deal of the lot, because once one of the EU member disagree to a proposal, it's immediately up for debate there by slowing the process

avaya

Your argument makes no sense. The UK imports more from the EU than Norway so is in a stronger position. The EU might want to punish the UK if they want to be vindictive but I doubt it.

The stornger position argment is total horsehit.

UK negotiating position going into Article 50:

- Currently in recession
- Currently battling potential secession of Scotland and Gibraltar
- Hugely dependent on maintaining financial passport for City
- Has no leverage since it has already chosen to leave.

EU negotiating position
- Doorway to single market
- Not under any pressure to negotiate
- Need to set example that you don't get better terms out vs. in

The result is child's play. 'We export tings lol' is a comical argument, the UK is a small country by itself. Get ready to feel it.

*Splinter

I love how leave campaign kept going on about Turkey joining the EU and how that meant Britain should leave the EU.

Yet now, it is going to have to stand right next to Turkey, and get treated JUST like Turkey.

Fucking hell!
Well this post doesn't really make sense. Any concerns regarding Turkey joining the EU would have been due to the large number of immigrants coming through Turkey. This doesn't occur just because we happen to be on similar trading terms as Turkey (unless I'm missing something)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
If the EU forgave Greek debt on a significant scale and refinanced the place, Italy and Spain would have held up their hands the very next day, demanding some of that free cash. That would have collapsed the system.

I personally think the EU could have handled Greece better, but there was no obvious solution at hand. But perhaps now is the time to restructure all of Southern-Europe's debts, Germany will want to improve the EU's cohesion. Maybe some good will come of this....

"Germany will want", but Germans won't necessarily want to. Local politics dictate what the EU can and will do. "We don't want to pay for them".

Shito

So what? They show that a European country can do well outside of the EU so don't they need to be punished for the greater good?
You should read people' answers to your questions.
Norway is abiding by European laws to get access to the single market.
They are PAYING Europe to get this access, without any right to decide on the EU laws they will have to respect.
Do you understand how this does not compare at all with what UK wants to do?

Different people would want different things but this is certainly an option that the British people would like to see on the table.
Norway has to respect the Schengen area.
Leavers vote was hugely motivated by closed borders (while UK's borders were ALREADY closed)...

PJV3

Jesus, were going to end up with the WTO option at this rate.

Oh, so should UK just stop sending our £ 350 million a week and pay our staff directly ?

Really ?

Yes, (even if that number is not real, as your own "Leave" politicians said).

That is what you voted, but you also voted to not be part of the common market, free trade, and to not recieve EU funds for undeveloped regions as many other things.

The stornger position argment is total horsehit.

UK negotiating position going into Article 50:

- Currently in recession
- Currently battling potential secession of Scotland and Gibraltar
- Hugely dependent on maintaining financial passport for City
- Has no leverage since it has already chosen to leave.

EU negotiating position
- Doorway to single market
- Not under any pressure to negotiate
- Need to set example that you don't get better terms out vs. in

The result is child's play. 'We export tings lol' is a comical argument, the UK is a small country by itself. Get ready to feel it.

Like it was before the EU? Where are you from by the way? You have a very pro Euro stance.

Yes, (even if that number is not real, as your own "Leave" politicians said).

That is what you voted, but you also voted to not be part of the common market, free trade, and to not recieve EU funds for undeveloped regions as many other things.

Yay, we dont get back less than we pay out any more. Good news!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Well this post doesn't really make sense. Any concerns regarding Turkey joining the EU would have been due to the large number of immigrants coming through Turkey. This doesn't occur just because we happen to be on similar trading terms as Turkey (unless I'm missing something)

You're not missing anything. I was merely implying that Turkey doesn't really get treated favourably by the EU. And now Britain would be getting the same treatment. The irony of it is that Brexit kept heavily emphasising how Turkey would join the EU, and that we should leave because of that.

Mifune

Mehmber
Fucked if I know. I don't encounter it. Rules and regulations, health and safety, human rights, the metric system. Honestly, fuck knows but that's the sentiment.

Then why are you arguing against the EU if you don't have reasons for why it's so bad? Devil's advocate?

geordiemp

That number got debunked as bullshit forever ago and you know it. Settle down, pal.

We pay in, we get about half back. Poster is suggesting we get nothing back, my question is should we not pay in then

The number is immaterial whether its 350 million or 200 million, it does not matter.

Still this?

Still what ? I made a fair question and point.

Interesting. Tell me more.

You should read people' answers to your questions.
Norway is abiding by European laws to get access to the single market.
They are PAYING Europe to get this access, without any right to decide on the EU laws they will have to respect.
Do you understand how this does not compare at all with what UK wants to do?

Norway has to respect the Schengen area.
Leavers vote was hugely motivated by closed borders (while UK's borders were ALREADY closed)...

Well there is a huge amount of uncertainty when it comes to new negotiations which should be almost comically unnecessary in the larger picture. But if the people in charge of the trade agreements are negotiating in bad spirits from the position that the UK should be made to suffer for betraying the EU then there is a problem. What sort of problem it ends up being in the long term is again uncertain and again comically unnecessary.

Crumpo

We pay in, we get about half back. Poster is suggesting we get nothing back, my question is should we not pay in then

The number is immaterial whether its 350 million or 200 million, it does not matter.

Still what ? I made a fair question and point.

He was talking specifically about UK MEPs, rather than the state aid stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom