• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are saying that the majority that voted to leave have enable this behaviour?

I can see your point of view but this idiots would use any excuse for their actions. It's probably happening every day and every hour but now it's highlighted due to the referendum.

Of course they will use any excuse, but thinking that more than half the country agrees with them is one helluva excuse that they will take advantage of.

I honestly don't understand how someone could vote leave and not realise that they were empowering these people. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as they also voted for a campaign lead by Nigel Farage.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You're right, they would use any excuse. But now they've been handed the biggest excuse they've ever had and they think the country agrees with them. That's the problem.

em.... I can't really disagree with this.

Alx

I thought too initially until i saw this

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/746763141535543296

Boris johnson is a guy who got fired for lying twice. Trashed the people of liverpool in one of the worst ways anyone could have done. Don't fall for his thick buffoon act. The guy is a snake in the grass. Willing to play with people's lives just to be PM

I always thought "Blackadder" was a comedy, I never realized it was a faithful depiction of British politics.
I love the euphemism in that video, "I'm less than impressed with Boris Johnson". Never change, Brits. (oh well yes please change a little, but not that ;) ).

oti

Banned
Unless article 50 is triggered, there's nothing the EU can do. If tomorrow everyone comes out, holds their hands up and says "we should never have allowed this, sorry guys, lets have a general election and if you want to leave the EU, vote UKIP in, if you don't, we're staying in" then again, the EU can't do anything or make us accept things like the Euro or lose our veto.

So let's say this is realistic in any way, you'd rather have a UK as part of the EU that no one will trust, that won't get any meaningful personal position, that won't get any meaningful EU institution within its borders than a UK outside of the EU that could be a partner and could influence the EU from the outside?

Plum

"How does it feel to be punched in the nose"

Mate, you've gotten a punch in but you've knocked yourself out in the process.

Fucking idiots I swear.

Breakage

This referendum should never have happened. People are saying "that's democracy", "the will of the people has spoken", "if we don't see this vote thru we can't pontificate about democracy to countries like China" and similar justifcations for sticking to the outcome. I can't help but feel these people don't understand the profound consequences leaving will have on future generations. What's even more frustrating is that this vote was won on blatant lies, ignorance and a dislike of foreigners.

The out result has only fuelled nationalism and made open racism mainstream again. If I was a foreigner looking to work or study in England, I'd be looking elsewhere. Leaving the EU just has disaster written all over it, yet we're following it thru because " that's democracy". I don't get it, we know the UK will be worse off as a nation outside of the EU, but we will rigidly stick to the outcome because we pride ourself on being democratic - even if it makes the nation worse off. Will people still be proud to live in a democracy when England is nothing but small isolated island and their children have been condemned to poorer living standards/economic hardship and the far-right have a stronger foothold in mainstream politics?

Clinging to the principle that the people have spoken and we have to respect seems absurd in this case especially when a lot of those people are utterly ignorant.
It's such a profound life changing decision that won't make us better off. Imo, the very desire to seperate ourselves has already done irreversible damage to our reputation and perception on the world stage. Will anyone actually give a flying fucking about respecting democracy when life in the UK goes downhill? Leaving isn't going to help the people who wanted to leave as they will also bear the brunt of the economic side-effects. By leaving such people have only opted to plunge themselves into more hardship. Is all of this worth it tho just so we can cling onto our principle of democracy?
We know this isn't a great idea and yet we're going ahead because a bunch of thick people "want their country back" and we have to respect it because that's democracy man. It's like the religious fanatic who blows himself because he will not be moved from his beliefs - we're clinging to democracy in the same way.

Plum

"WE'VE BEEN IGNORED!"

Yep, and leaving the EU won't help that. In fact by giving more power to the Tories they're just going to fuck up your communities even more.

I'm goddamn sick of this.

Corto

52% of people voted to leave. Boris may well distance from this, but others would take up the mantle. Farage for sure will continue, this is his entire career and identity.

Ok, £7B a year less to bail out Greece with.

As it were uk money would never be used for bailouts.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Unless article 50 is triggered, there's nothing the EU can do. If tomorrow everyone comes out, holds their hands up and says "we should never have allowed this, sorry guys, lets have a general election and if you want to leave the EU, vote UKIP in, if you don't, we're staying in" then again, the EU can't do anything or make us accept things like the Euro or lose our veto.

You know, it really strikes me as being a highly viable electoral platform to simply come out and say, "We've heard the voice of the people, but, we really can't see a way of enacting Brexit politically without causing a ton of other problems, so we aren't planning on acting on it for now because the time isn't right".

I think that simply recognizing the result as a legitimate protest vote, would be more than enough to shift public perception favorably. Discourse simply needs to be shifted from an ideological/emotional to a pragmatic centre. For example, building on a tentpole of the practical difficulty in justifying the preservation of the union of the UK whilst simultaneously separating from the EU is a very real political conundrum.

Protome

Alec Salmond is a pretty big heavyweight still.

Is he? Since he stood down all he has done is show up on TV whenever he gets the chance and spout his old retoric while Sturgeon actually improves the party and steers it in a more sensible direction. I'm sure the only reason she doesn't tighten the leash on him is because he annoys every other MP in Westminster.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
How the fuck are these people not talking about the economic fallout of the past few days, not mention what the EU is going to do and where the fuck is Boris?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom