• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] Microsoft may stop marketing of Xbox consoles in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, Cloud, PC and Xbox Controllers

LakeOf9

It's been quite the week for Xbox fans. Microsoft's Xbox TV app recently arrived on some Amazon Fire TV devices, and with it came a clear message from Microsoft: you don't need an Xbox console to play Xbox games. Days later, Microsoft hiked its Game Pass prices.

Microsoft has quietly been saying you don't need an Xbox console for years with its day-one releases of Xbox games on PC, but this time, it said the quiet part out loud. In a commercial stylized around the '90s movie Scream, the message is that "you don't need an Xbox to play Xbox" and "no console required." The changes come as Microsoft starts to rethink how it can boost Xbox Game Pass subscription numbers and look further beyond the console.

The timing for these Xbox changes comes as Microsoft navigates a new financial year, which began in July. There have been some Xbox layoffs as part of this, but not in the thousands like we saw earlier this year. A new financial year also means new goals and potentially some strategy shifts. Microsoft has been reshuffling its Xbox leadership in recent months, and we're about to see how that all plays out over the next 12 months.

In May, I received a tip that Microsoft is changing up its Xbox strategy for the new financial year in the EMEA regions. I haven't been able to fully verify this, but the tipster claimed Microsoft will stop marketing Xbox consoles in certain markets in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, cloud gaming, PC, and Xbox controllers. Microsoft has been struggling to sell Xbox Series S / X consoles in many countries across EMEA, and the tipster believes Microsoft will now allocate less console stock to Europe as a result. If you've heard more, please let me know.

A few weeks after I received this tip, Xbox tweeted: "No console, no problem 🔥" in a post on X about the new Xbox app for Fire TV sticks. If Microsoft is genuinely rethinking its console strategy across Europe, it will be interesting to see where stock is allocated for its upcoming discless Xbox Series X console.

No Xbox, no problem

Unconfirmed, but if this is true, it continues the process of Microsoft pulling out from the console market slowly

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Makes sense. Their hardware has been selling like absolute shit for over a decade now. That ship has sailed.

They've got a longgggg road ahead of them in trying to establish a proper identity now though. They're more-or-less a third party developer that also keeps a bunch of their games off of other platforms. It's kind of a mess.

Sin Xbox, no hay problema

No está confirmado, pero si esto es cierto, continúa el proceso de retirada lenta de Microsoft del mercado de consolas.

RIP Xbox

GIF de Jason Clarke: Celebremos el descanso en paz

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Marketing Xbox consoles in Europe has seemed like a waste for some time now. If they're moving to a handheld / PC model, it's probably smart to just save your money until then. And the Fire stick has more of a chance of catching new people at this point honestly. I probably would have done this a few months ago.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Wow. officially killing the brand. Well done Phil Spencer.

Let this be a lesson to all console fans. Hold these suits accountable instead of blindly defending these incompetent buffoons running xbox for the last ten years.
I'll never understand making your basing personality on a brand so much so that you sit in a car and cry when they do something you don't like lol

Marketing Xbox consoles in Europe has seemed like a waste for some time now. If they're moving to a handheld / PC model, it's probably smart to just save your money until then. And the Fire stick has more of a chance of catching new people at this point honestly. I probably would have done this a few months ago.
I don't know about handheld. That just one more piece of hardware to make sure every game on your service runs on. They did talk about making their own TV stick years ago though. I wonder how that's going/why it's taking 3+ years. Unless putting on Amazon's device is their way of getting some user testing done before they launch their own.

Punished Miku

I don't know about handheld. That just one more piece of hardware to make sure every game on your service runs on. They did talk about making their own TV stick years ago though. I wonder how that's going/why it's taking 3+ years. Unless putting on Amazon's device is their way of getting some user testing done before they launch their own.
They will never sell as many sticks as the Fire Stick. It's sold 200 million units. All they really need is to have their app on that, and TVs going forward.

Should just try and sell people a controller with 3 months GP bundled in. I'd focus a lot on marketing on the actual Fire Stick to people who have one hooked up now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No Xbox, no problem

Unconfirmed, but if this is true, it continues the process of Microsoft pulling out from the console market slowly

Non-paywall version:

t’s been quite the week for Xbox fans. Microsoft’s Xbox TV app recently arrived on some Amazon Fire TV devices, and with it came a clear message from Microsoft: you don’t need an Xbox console to play Xbox games. Days later, Microsoft hiked its Game Pass prices.
Microsoft has quietly been saying you don’t need an Xbox console for years with its day-one releases of Xbox games on PC, but this time, it said the quiet part out loud. In a commercial stylized around the ’90s movie Scream, the message is that “you don’t need an Xbox to play Xbox” and “no console required.” The changes come as Microsoft starts to rethink how it can boost Xbox Game Pass subscription numbers and look further beyond the console.
You can now stream Xbox games from Game Pass to Amazon Fire TV sticks, meaning you don’t need to buy an Xbox Series S or X console. Microsoft had the same “no console required” messaging when it launched the Xbox TV app on Samsung TVs in 2022, but there was less uncertainty around Microsoft’s Xbox strategy at the time. Microsoft has since released Xbox-exclusive games on PS5 and scrapped plans for an overhauled Xbox Series X design, leaving Xbox fans nervous about the direction of the Xbox brand.
Just days after the launch of the Xbox TV app on Fire TV sticks, Microsoft announced price hikes for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate — the only tier that can access the Xbox Cloud Gaming service required to stream games to TVs, web browsers, and mobile devices. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is moving from $16.99 to $19.99 a month in September, a $3 increase. PC Game Pass is also moving from $9.99 to $11.99 a month.
Alongside the price hikes, Microsoft is also launching a new Xbox Game Pass “Standard” tier for new users that effectively replaces Xbox Game Pass for Console. Priced at $14.99 a month, the new Standard option includes online console multiplayer, but it doesn’t include day-one games. Existing Xbox Game Pass for Console subscribers will keep day-one access to games, at $10.99 per month. If you’re a new Game Pass subscriber, you’ll have to subscribe to the most expensive Ultimate tier at $19.99 per month to get access to Microsoft’s first-party Xbox games as soon as they launch.
It’s clearly a deliberate move to get new subscribers onto the Ultimate tier and to capture more revenue from those who sign up to the service for a month at a time just to access a newly launched game and then cancel their subscriptions. It’s also a move that further complicates Microsoft’s “play it day one on Game Pass” message that it delivers at most Xbox events and in its game marketing, as there are now four active tiers for console subscribers, and only two support day-one games:
Xbox Game Pass Core: $9.99 / no day-one games ❌
PC Game Pass: $11.99 / day-one games ✅
Xbox Game Pass for Console (existing subs): $10.99 / day-one games ✅
Xbox Game Pass Standard (new only): $14.99 / no day-one games ❌
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate: $19.99 / day-one games ✅
Perhaps Microsoft will need to start saying “play it day one on Game Pass Ultimate” from now on, but even that isn’t fully accurate as PC Game Pass and Game Pass for Console will continue to have access to day-one games. If you look even closer, PC Game Pass subscribers are getting the best deal here. At $11.99 a month, you get day-one games, you don’t need to pay extra for online multiplayer as it’s free, and cloud streaming isn’t something most PC gamers even care about.
If you’re a new Xbox console owner, then you have to subscribe to the $19.99 Ultimate tier for day-one games, as Game Pass for Console is only for existing subscribers now. It’s all a little messy, but with Microsoft adding hits like Call of Duty to Game Pass, subscription changes like this were inevitable.
I’m surprised that Microsoft didn’t take the opportunity to launch an Xbox Cloud Gaming tier of Game Pass that lets you stream games without having to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. The only choice is to pay $19.99 a month just to stream Xbox games, and if you’re willing to do that, then you’re in the territory of Nvidia’s far superior $19.99 a month GeForce Now RTX 4080 tier that offers better visuals, bitrates, and responsiveness than Xbox Cloud Gaming.
The timing for these Xbox changes comes as Microsoft navigates a new financial year, which began in July. There have been some Xbox layoffs as part of this, but not in the thousands like we saw earlier this year. A new financial year also means new goals and potentially some strategy shifts. Microsoft has been reshuffling its Xbox leadership in recent months, and we’re about to see how that all plays out over the next 12 months.
In May, I received a tip that Microsoft is changing up its Xbox strategy for the new financial year in the EMEA regions. I haven’t been able to fully verify this, but the tipster claimed Microsoft will stop marketing Xbox consoles in certain markets in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, cloud gaming, PC, and Xbox controllers. Microsoft has been struggling to sell Xbox Series S / X consoles in many countries across EMEA, and the tipster believes Microsoft will now allocate less console stock to Europe as a result. If you’ve heard more, let me know.
A few weeks after I received this tip, Xbox tweeted: “No console, no problem 🔥” in a post on X about the new Xbox app for Fire TV sticks. If Microsoft is genuinely rethinking its console strategy across Europe, it will be interesting to see where stock is allocated for its upcoming discless Xbox Series X console.
Microsoft has already committed to a next-generation Xbox, but I’m more convinced than ever before that the future of the Xbox looks a lot like a PC.
[/quote}

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In May, I received a tip that Microsoft is changing up its Xbox strategy for the new financial year in the EMEA regions. I haven’t been able to fully verify this, but the tipster claimed Microsoft will stop marketing Xbox consoles in certain markets in EMEA and focus only on Game Pass, cloud gaming, PC, and Xbox controllers. Microsoft has been struggling to sell Xbox Series S / X consoles in many countries across EMEA, and the tipster believes Microsoft will now allocate less console stock to Europe as a result. If you’ve heard more, let me know.
A few weeks after I received this tip, Xbox tweeted: “No console, no problem 🔥” in a post on X about the new Xbox app for Fire TV sticks. If Microsoft is genuinely rethinking its console strategy across Europe, it will be interesting to see where stock is allocated for its upcoming discless Xbox Series X console.
Microsoft has already committed to a next-generation Xbox, but I’m more convinced than ever before that the future of the Xbox looks a lot like a PC.

So a tip that Warren can't verify

Plus "the future of the Xbox looks a lot like a PC"

Dumb And Dumber GIF

Topher

Gold Member

Dumb And Dumber GIF

"I’m more convinced than ever before that the future of the Xbox looks a lot like a PC"

Sounds familiar

Will Smith Reaction GIF

NickFire

Dumb And Dumber GIF
Are you also starting to wonder if plans completely changed in the last few months?

Unless Nintendo gets back into performance consoles I don't want MS completely dropping out because we might all get screwed by Sony if that happens. I am not seeing any reason to be optimistic about any Xbox handheld or pc hybrid after this news though. To go from trying to make inroads in Japan to essentially dropping out of Europe is not exactly what I would expect to hear from anyone with future console plans.

Yea everyone, including myself, knew Xbox was already on life support. Just kind of patiently waiting for them to pull the plug. Feel like they are wasting their time with this. Just go third party on PC, PS and Nintendo and get it over with already.

I'm also US, not EMEA, and this may be a little unrelated but found this super interesting. I was in my local Best Buy the other day and just happened to go over to the gaming section. Its smaller than it was years ago, but PS and Nintendo still have decent size displays of hardware and games. The Xbox section? Was probably about a third of the size and only had a small selection of games and a very low amount of controllers, that was it. But the most shocking part that there was a meta Quest!!! Section that was bigger than the Xbox display but smaller than PS/Nintendo. I was pretty floored when I saw that, I really have no idea how well the quest models sell but them having more space than Xbox, in MS biggest market was something I didn't expect.

In short, MS just needs to give up on gamepass and Xbox. Just go full Sega and become third party. They wouldn't piss away so much money in R&D and infrastructure that is doing nothing for them but being a money sink.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Are you also starting to wonder if plans completely changed in the last few months?

Unless Nintendo gets back into performance consoles I don't want MS completely dropping out because we might all get screwed by Sony if that happens. I am not seeing any reason to be optimistic about any Xbox handheld or pc hybrid after this news though. To go from trying to make inroads in Japan to essentially dropping out of Europe is not exactly what I would expect to hear from anyone with future console plans.
So far I am not putting any stock into this "tip" if I am being honest

And to answer your question nothing has changed my mind about their plan of attack with this next generation but it will look different as it wont be launch a box similar to the PS6 in the same window with approx the same specs

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.​

Punished Miku

Anytime anyone in the world turns on their Fire Stick, it should show an ad about buying an Xbox controller and GP. That's going to cost a lot of money. 200 million people who have that hooked to their TV don't even really know it exists.

Spending money to tell Europe and the middle east about Xbox consoles just seems like a waste at this point. Just seems like rational marketing decisions.

chilichote

We all know that Microsoft's big goal is cloud gaming. Perhaps this is the first step in that direction, simply because it is obvious that there is nothing more that can be achieved in this region in the traditional way.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Middle East was always dead for Xbox anyway. It was always a PlayStation land as far as I remember when I lived there.

Sucks to see they are giving up on console really especially since they got all these big games now but whatever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom