• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Trilogy |OT| The Crystal Dynamics Collection

Ellis Kim

Banned
5329665477_063245d098.jpg

Title: Tomb Raider Trilogy
Publisher: Square-Enix|Eidos
Developer: Crystal Dynamics
Genre: Adventure-Platformer
Release Date: March 22, 2011
MSRP: $39.99 (US) / £29.99 / 36.99€

Trophies List:
Anniversary: http://www.allps3trophies.com/retail-games/tomb-raider-anniversary-hd-classics-trophies.html
Legend: http://www.allps3trophies.com/retail-games/tomb-raider-legend-hd-classics-trophies.html
Underworld: http://www.allps3trophies.com/retail-games/tomb-raider-underworld-trophies.html

Features:

• Remastered in high definition, Tomb Raider: Legend and Tomb Raider: Anniversary provide the same thrilling gameplay with immersive visuals
  • All three exciting adventures are included on a single Blu-ray Disc
  • Trilogy includes Tomb Raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Tomb Raider: Underworld
  • Exclusive content includes Tomb Raider Trilogy PlayStation 3 theme pack, official Lara Croft female Home avatar outfit, Viking Thrall male Home avatar outfit and a collection of "making of" trailers in HD for the entire series
  • Features complete collection of "Beneath the Surface" Underworld Dev Diaries

5330277686_d640cd9d45_z.jpg

5329665541_487972c494_m.jpg
5330277612_35d080a12b_m.jpg

Comparison Screens:

---more---
---PC comparison gallery by ExMachina---

About the Collection:

Amazon.com Product Description said:
With more than eight million copies sold worldwide since 2006, Tomb Raider remains one of the most recognized gaming franchises among gamers. Now with The Tomb Raider Trilogy, Lara Croft and her exciting adventures can be enjoyed on the PlayStation 3 in full high definition. Including Tomb Raider: Legend, Tomb Raider: Anniversary and Tomb Raider: Underworld, the Trilogy lets players relive all three epic adventures on a single Blu-ray Disc.

Remastered for The Tomb Raider Trilogy, Tomb Raider: Legend and Tomb Raider: Anniversary let you join Lara Croft once again on her thrilling adventures in full high definition. Go deep behind the scenes with the complete collection of "Beneath The Surface" Underworld Dev Diaries, as well as the high-definition "making of" trailers for the entire series. Enjoy exclusive content beyond the games, including the Tomb Raider Trilogy PlayStation 3 theme pack, official Lara Croft female Home avatar outfit and Viking Thrall male Home avatar outfit.

Games Available

• Tomb Raider: Legend - Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Legend brings back the gaming world's sexiest and most intrepid adventurer. Follow Lara down a path of discovery as she travels the globe to remote, exotic locales in search of one of history's greatest artifacts that unleash unwelcome figures from Lara's mysterious past. Use her skills to explore vast, treacherous tombs, riddled with challenging puzzles and deadly traps. Physics, Water and Fire systems bring the perilous environments of Lara's world alive, and challenge the player to improvise solutions to obstacles. Jump into the future of adrenaline-fueled adventure.
  • Tomb Raider: Anniversary - Celebrate and commemorate ten years of Tomb Raider with Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary, a re-imagined adventure inspired by the original Tomb Raider video game, one of the greatest action adventure games of all time. The redesigned game experience delivers massive environments with stunning high resolution visuals, real-time lighting/shadows, a dynamic and fluid Lara Croft, and intense combat and game pacing.
  • Tomb Raider: Underworld - Tomb Raider: U nderworld resumes where Tomb Raider: Legend left off. This installment introduces a new, interactive playing environment that gives players a chance to immerse themselves more fully into the game. Players once again take the role of Lara Croft as she explores such wide-ranging places as the Arctic, Mexico, and beneath the Mediterranean Sea.

FAQs:

Is the game using the PS2 engine? Or the Underworld engine?
We have no freaking idea. Vague descriptions and past comments from official sources suggest that they literally ported CD's proprietary engine from the PS2 to PS3 for Legend and Anniversary, while importing hi-res PC/360 assets. Whether that's the truth of the matter remains unknown at this time.

Does this include the 360 Underworld exclusive DLC?
No.

Why not?
Because it was an exclusive Microsoft deal.

I'm new to Tomb Raider, is it any good?
Tomb Raider Anniversary is made of pure awesome. Take PS1-era volume and polish in design and content, and apply a new-gen skin and high-caliber production values. The only game worth getting the Trilogy for. Its combat system is the best of the collection, as well.

Well, in that case, can't I just buy it alone on PSN?
They've said that they have no plans for a PSN release at the moment.

So is the platforming basically Prince of Persia Uncharted?
Yes and no. Its better. With more exploration, less shooting.

Depending on the game in the trilogy, anyways...

Should I buy it?
Yes.

Visually, how good does this look in HD?
I don't know, no official footage has been released, but I suppose this random youtube PC/360 comparison video would do. According to Eurogamer's reviewer, the PS3 version of Lara looks "shinier."

+ Questions and answers from official sources collected here by FireCloud: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26667441&postcount=131

+ Known BUGS for Tomb Raider Underworld:
http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/underworld/walkthrough/bugs.html
Spoiler-free version: http://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TR8walk/bugnotes.html

Reviews:

9/10 - Eurogamer:
With no new friends chatting away in an earpiece, and miles of pendulum blades, misty caverns and block-shifting separating Croft from the beginning and end of each level, Anniversary's a chance to see the series' new custodians acting almost like a cover band – albeit one that's intent on putting its own spin on the classics.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/the-tomb-raider-trilogy

I love these games, and Tomb Raider: Underworld was seriously underrated. It's not the most technically sound game in the world but the environments and exploration are second to none throughout most of the game. Anniversary is also fantastic.

I sure would have loved to see II and III get the Anniversary treatment though... II is still my favorite. Venice...

Ellis Kim said:
I'm new to Tomb Raider, is it any good?
Tomb Raider Anniversary is made of pure awesome. Take PS1-era volume and polish in design and content, and apply a new-gen skin and high-caliber production values. The only game worth getting the Trilogy for. Its combat system is the best of the collection, as well.
That is highly debatable. Anniversary may be the best game of the collection, but Legend is very solid too. It brought the series back from the brink of total irrelevancy and laid the groundwork for Anniversary.

Zoibie

The_Darkest_Red said:
I love these games, and Tomb Raider: Underworld was seriously underrated. It's not the most technically sound game in the world but the environments and exploration are second to none throughout most of the game. Anniversary is also fantastic.

I sure would have loved to see II and III get the Anniversary treatment though... II is still my favorite. Venice...

I liked Underworld, sure, but didn't think it was anything special. It did have some great environments but I think Anniversary and Legend are better.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Will buy because

- Never played them before
- Dat ass.
- While there will inevitably be specials, at the present it costs $60 to get all three games on Steam.

Zoibie said:
I liked Underworld, sure, but didn't think it was anything special. It did have some great environments but I think Anniversary and Legend are better.

I think Anniversary is better but I preferred Underworld over Legends (also a good game, though).

For me Tomb Raider is all about exploration and large environment based puzzles. Tomb Raider: Underworld felt like a triumphant return to the series roots (including janky combat, unfortunately) in that regard. I just love the feeling you get from the first level where you are swimming around in the ocean with no arrow or waypoint marker telling you exactly where to go. That feeling of freedom and the sense of exploration go a long way for me.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I would have included the PAL cover, but its too loltastic and I'd feel bad for our EU GAFers.

Unless people want me to put it up there...

Mithos

Gold Member
Check if Underworld will be using the same trophylist as the standalone Underworld, thank you very much.
Thinking of selling standalone Underworld and pick up the Trilogy, but don't wanna have to play through Underworld and unlock the trophies again..

mshlive

Never played any of these even though I was a big Tomb Raider fan on the PS1, really looking forward to some HD tomb raiding.

It'd be nice if this was available on the 360. I haven't played any of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games but I'd love to be able to pick 'em all up in one fell swoop.

I played all three of these games recently back to back to back. Anniversary, Underworld, then Legend. I think Anniversary has the best puzzles. Legend has the best platforming because of the different environments. Underworld, of course, had the best graphics.

If you are a purist Tomb Raider fan, I think Anniversary is easily the best game of the trilogy. Personally I had the most fun in Legend. They nailed the feel of a globe trotting treasure hunter. Underworld was a bit underwhelming as a whole and the glitches were very annoying. Each game has its share of problems, but I recommend them all if you like puzzle solving and exploration platforming.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I just picked up the 3 games separately for PC thanks to the Square-Enix/Eidos sale on Steam, otherwise I'd be all over this collection.

Finished playing through St. Francis Folly in TRA a few hours ago... so good.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Mithos said:
Check if Underworld will be using the same trophylist as the standalone Underworld, thank you very much.
Thinking of selling standalone Underworld and pick up the Trilogy, but don't wanna have to play through Underworld and unlock the trophies again..
Like previous HD trilogies, each game has a separate set of trophies, and I imagine that your Underworld situation is perfectly fine.

I doubt you'll get much for the game, though.

Nice pack if you haven't played them.

Are the anniversary & Legend versions going to look better than the PC versions now available?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Nice to see they didn't use the garbage from the "next generation effects" in Legend for PC. That stuff ruined the art style so I kept it off.

If you haven't played these, $40 is a fantastic deal.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
Nice to see they didn't use the garbage from the "next generation effects" in Legend for PC. That stuff ruined the art style so I kept it off.
From what I saw, that's exactly what they did. The "next-gen" stuff was what they used on 360 as well. PC was ace because you had the option to pick between PS2 and 360 assets. Here you don't.

Dice

Stallion Free said:
From what I saw, that's exactly what they did. The "next-gen" stuff was what they used on 360 as well. PC was ace because you had the option to pick between PS2 and 360 assets. Here you don't.
The lighting in the screenshots looks better, and it doesn't seem to have those weird glistening eyes. Maybe it's just the shots...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
The lighting in the screenshots looks better, and it doesn't seem to have those weird glistening eyes. Maybe it's just the shots...
There were still a ton of other things that looked wrong with the Next-gen stuff. I'm looking at you there vine.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Stallion Free said:
To speak in earnest, I actually kind of prefer how the PS2 screens look in those comparison shots that they released, at least in terms of the bloom, particularly the screen with the T-rex. There's a certain humid tropical jungle aesthetic that the white bloom gives that's just lost with the HD upgrade's effects.

TripOpt55

I'm going to get this once I get the chance. I love Anniversary and haven't played Legend in a while so it should be fun. It had some cool moments. Underworld is fun too, but I have played it recently on PS3 anyway.

Dice

Stallion Free said:
There were still a ton of other things that looked wrong with the Next-gen stuff. I'm looking at you there vine.
Yes. Many things.

Though if you have a PS3 and haven't played them, I would still recommend this. If you have a gaming PC then...

1) Why don't you have them already?
2) They're likely to go at least half off in the Steam summer sale. They are currently $60 altogether.

GeoramA

So now there's three possible ways you can get the PS3 version of Underworld :lol

Downloaded the 1 hour trial from PS Plus. I liked it more than I expected to. And the graphics are gorgeous,

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Legends was one of my favorite games of last gen. Will be getting this... soon, don't have time for it yet.

Skilletor

Wonder if I should buy this. I have Underworld PS3 and Anniversary PS2... I never finished Anniversary, though. Hmmm....

ssowinski

Mithos said:

Sold my unopened copy of Underworld as soon as they announced that Trilogy was coming out. Will get this day 1 (tomorrow)

gdt

I absolutely will be getting this, but I don't know about Day 1 (well, too late to order from Amazon for tomorrow now).

Can't wait to check these games out, always thought TR was shit until GAF told me otherwise.

ssowinski

gdt5016 said:
I absolutely will be getting this, but I don't know about Day 1 (well, too late to order from Amazon for tomorrow now).

Can't wait to check these games out, always thought TR was shit until GAF told me otherwise.

One of the reason for day 1 is that I have $100 credit at the Blockbuster down the street from their $4 dvd trade deal here in Canada. If I didn't have that burning in my pocket I'd probably wait until it was on sale sometime within the next few months. Either way I'd pick it up fo' sho'

Ellis Kim

Banned
gdt5016 said:

I used to think it was a lame franchise that wasn't my cup of tea until I heard how much Garnett hype and praise the shit out of Anniversary. I ended up renting that for PS2 and it became a total game changer for me. Made me look at platformers in a completely different light, and I even went out and picked up Super Mario Sunshine because I was suddenly craving for platformers, lol.

gdt

Absolutely the only reason it's not Day 1 is because I'm getting a laptop very soon, and I'm not sure which I want. So this $40 is there in case I need to go more expensive. Oh and Mad Men S4 BRD comes out a week from tomorrow.

So, probably Day 7 or 14 (get paid every Tuesday)!

So I love Tomb Raider... but I already own Anniversary on PS2, and Legends and Underworld on 360. I don't mind double dipping on Anniversary (it's worth it) but my question is.... if I were to do that should I get this PS3 release, or should I buy the XBL version that runs on the Legends engine (should you have Legends, which I do)? Is this new release better, or are they the same?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oracle Dragon said:
So I love Tomb Raider... but I already own Anniversary on PS2, and Legends and Underworld on 360. I don't mind double dipping on Anniversary (it's worth it) but my question is.... if I were to do that should I get this PS3 release, or should I buy the XBL version that runs on the Legends engine (should you have Legends, which I do)? Is this new release better, or are they the same?
Should be exactly the same as the 360 Anniversary release assets wise.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sort-of want.

TL: Legend was a HUUUGE surprise for me, and was probably one of the top 3 games I played that year. I loved the locations and the storyline. But...

1) I played it on the 360 already.
2) TR: Anniversery doesn't interest me
3) I own Underworld... it is unplayed.

GDJustin said:
Sort-of want.

TL: Legend was a HUUUGE surprise for me, and was probably one of the top 3 games I played that year. I loved the locations and the storyline. But...

1) I played it on the 360 already.
2) TR: Anniversery doesn't interest me
3) I own Underworld... it is unplayed.
If you're so into Legend it's a bit strange that you have no interest in Anniversary.

Legend was a terrific game, I even liked Lara's occasional chatter with the supporting cast. One or two rough patches (I remember some part with flame jets from the floor and guards wandering around being annoying), but an excellent effort IMO.

Top Bottom