• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Toonami-GAF

Space Dandy was so much fun. The first episode established what kind of show it is, a light-hearted comedy with no regard for continuity, no fourth wall, and amazing animation. As for the fanservice, it was tame and it fit the Hooters knock-off they were visiting. SAO had worse (and more disgusting).

Bleach was dumber than usual. I guess it was due to following Space Dandy, but it was still pretty stupid. Two Momo clones! Double the annoying! At least we got to see the scene where Ice Tard was tricked into stabbing her. Hahahahaha.

Shippuden was... Shippuden. I will say I did not expect
Kurama
to sound like Dr. Claw.
Also, Sasuke never heard of Madara Uchiha? Either that was added by the dub, or Kishimoto fucked up again. I'd say take a shot every time there's a massive plot hole in Naruto, but you'd be dead fairly quickly.

One Piece was an emotional ride. When the series wants to get serious, it gets fucking serious and pulls zero punches. Thankfully it's contrasted to many fun moments that make you laugh and go "HELL YEAH". But yeah, there's plenty of gut-punching scenes later in the series.

Soul Eater was... *sighs* I really want a Soul Eater Brotherhood. But do we get it? No! We get fucking Soul Eater NOT with its moe protagonists.

SAO.... I swear this show is trolling me.
What kind of dumb MMO requires you to speak for magic to work? MMOs are usually played by people all over the world, all with varying dialects and accents. I don't care if it's the future, there's no speech recognition software advanced enough to do that!

Also I love inconsistent writing!
"I won't let anyone die again! Even though nothing will happen this time!" "It's just a game, who cares what happens?" Fuck this!

Not trying to defend SAO, but they live in a world where technology has advanced to the point where full immersion virtual reality is real, I imagine that is far more difficult to do then to make a program that can recognize gibberish words said in a game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FLCL
One Piece
Space Dandy
GITS:SAC
FMA:B
Naruto:Shippuden
Naruto
Inuyasha
Soul Eater
SAO
Bleach
Star Wars:Clone Wars
IGPX

The first three shows were flawless. The next five shows were really great. The next three were very good. Star Wars I almost fell asleep durng but that was IGZZZZZZZZX's fault with its stupid soothing soundtrack. It's criminal to put something so down tempo on a show airing at 4:30.

Inuyasha perked me up.

I'm so hyped for Space Dandy and One Piece.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
  1. One Piece
  2. Space Dandy
  3. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  4. FLCL
  5. Ghost in the Shell
  6. Soul Eater
  7. Inuyasha
  8. Naruto
  9. Star Wars: The Clone Wars
  10. IGPX
  11. Bleach
  12. Sword Art Online
  13. Naruto Shippuden

The gap between the top 6 7 and the bottom 6.... yesh

Moaradin

1. Space Battleship Yamato 2199
2. Space Dandy
3. One Piece
4. Naruto Shippuden
5. Soul Eater
6. Sword Art Online
7. Bleach

I peaced out after SAO

I know Yamato isn't on here but I just finished it and holy shit is it amazing. Probably the best series I've seen all year.

bigkrev

I didn't get home till halfway through Bleach (and didn't really watch it), and went to bed midway through Naruto

FLCL

Naruto Shippuden
One Piece
Sword Art Online
Soul Eater

I liked Soul Eater more, but the fact that there was nothing criminally stupid in SAO means it gets the bump this week

tumblr_mx6nnclrZt1qanw3wo2_400.gif

tumblr_mx6nnclrZt1qanw3wo4_400.gif

Tamanon

Banned
Maybe it was such a long break, but to me the Luffy/Usopp fight made no sense, or at least the escalation didn't make sense. I don't know why Luffy just kept being cryptic about why the Merry wasn't being repaired.

Space Dandy didn't get off to a great start, I was pretty underwhelmed the first 20 minutes or so. The show started off at a glacial pace and didn't do a great job introducing the characters and explaining their motivations; it seemed barebones and rushed. The whole 'boobies' gag was incredibly cringeworthy and seemed like something a 12 year old boy would come up with. In fact I found most of the comedy to be pretty juvenile and didn't crack a smile until QT beamed that large alien up into the ship.

Other than the issues mentioned above, it was a pretty good debut episode. The music was funky, the animation was incredible, the VO is great, the visuals are colorful and the cast of characters shown so far seem likable. The last 7 or so minutes of alien hunting was pure bliss; hopefully the show is more that and less tit/ass jokes. I feel like some people here are a little blinded by hype, Space Dandy was good but didn't deserve the 'This is the savior of anime!' posts being thrown around after one week. I'm looking forward to the next episode though, hopefully the series keeps improving.

7/10

Bleach was...eh. Kageroza continues to troll while Ichigo screams WHY!? At least the animation is nice to look at. The whole Momo thing wasn't as stupid as people were making it out to be. Hitsugaya is traumatized after being tricked by Aizen into stabbing his childhood friend and is hesitant to attack her regai. Kageroza comes up with a good plan of making 2 Momo clones and has them both stab Hitsugaya when he's off guard. The only stupid part was both of them being taken out in one kick by Yoruichi, that was really anti-climactic.

5/10

Shippuden's pace slogged. It was cool seeing everyone grown up and the meet up with Sasuke was tense, but other than that the show was flashbacks and Konahamaru bullshit. I'm looking forward to finding out who Naruto's opponent will be, I bet it's Kakashi...

4/10

One Piece continues to be awesome. Usopp decides to leave the crew after being a little bitch about the Merry and overreacting. This was a 'feels' episode that people should remember in the future, the ship is more than just an inanimate object to this crew. Luffy v Usopp might get ugly folks, we'll see them duke it out for the Merry next week...

8/10

I honestly can't remember much of what happened in Soul Eater. I think Stein was hallucinating the whole episode and then the gang played basketball. Boring.

6/10

SAO was...yeah. Kirito saves his helpless waifu with hax powers. Yui talked about how awesome her 'daddy' is at pwning noobs. Asshats were seen, dorks were destroyed. Don't ever change, SAO.

3/10

Naruto started over again...blegh. Mizuki was a dick, shadow clones save the day. Believe it.

4.5/10

Brotherhood continues to be the best show on the block. KING FUCKING BRADLEY IS ALIVE HOLY SHIT, Mustang got straight up wrecked while everyone else stood by helplessly. Well, almost everyone, Scar went all French Montana and said "***** I ain't worried 'bout nothin'" and then went toe to toe with Wrath. Pride is still a smug little asshole and Al passes up on his body to fight...This show is amazing.

9/10

GitS was pretty good but the whole America bashing angle was kind of weird. I'm glad Batou showed some self restraint at the end.

6.5/10

I don't watch the other shows so my rankings are:

1. Brotherhood
2. One Piece
3. Space Dandy
4. GitS
5. Soul Eater
6. Bleach
7. Shippuden
8. Naruto
9. SAO

Amikami

Banned

Some really great sketches. Like the space Dandy refrences and the One Piece one is so well drawn. :O

Good morning Toonami-GAF

Also, Sasuke never heard of Madara Uchiha? Either that was added by the dub, or Kishimoto fucked up again. I'd say take a shot every time there's a massive plot hole in Naruto, but you'd be dead fairly quickly.

Soul Eater was... *sighs* I really want a Soul Eater Brotherhood. But do we get it? No! We get fucking Soul Eater NOT with its moe protagonists.

I don't know.
is Sasuke supposed to know about Madara at this point? He doesn't find out till he fights Itachi right? Seems like only the old generation knew him in any detail.I forget so much though.

I feel you on soul eater. I swear they doing it to hurt us.

The dub hating snobby comments over in the Space Dandy thread are hilarious. Out of all the things wrong with the show, voice over work was the least of my worries. The cast did an incredible job, I don't get why some people are so elitist when it comes to anime. Can't we all just get along?

Amikami

Banned
The dub hating snobby comments over in the Space Dandy thread are hilarious. Out of all the things wrong with the show, voice over work was the least of my worries. The cast did an incredible job, I don't get why some people are so elitist when it comes to anime. Can't we all just get along?

Was just over in that thread and agree. The dub was great.I admit that there was a time where I could say that sub over dub any day, but the quality and effort of dubbing has grown over the years and its been a long time since I willfully chose sub over dub. Space Dandy being a good example of quality. It really is elitism now.

Dub-wise I thought Meow was kinda flat but generally people are being ridiculous. Hell, the actual writing was superior to the subs I watched for the first 10 minutes. Might watch the official ones to compare.

Dub-wise I thought Meow was kinda flat but generally people are being ridiculous. Hell, the actual writing was superior to the subs I watched for the first 10 minutes. Might watch the official ones to compare.

I half-agree. He wasn't bad, sounding English-wise, but I expected him to have a slightly higher-pitched voice.

ckohler

As a big fan of Soul Eater, even I will admit that this week's episode (and the next) are my least favorites in the series. It starts to get a bit more interesting towards the end with the oncoming battles but the quality never fully returns to it's earlier epic state.

I'm only mildly interested in seeing NOT! for the cameos and world. The characters just seem crazy moe and uninteresting. Hopefully if NOT! is popular in Japan, it will make Soul Eater: Brotherhood a reality.

I half-agree. He wasn't bad, sounding English-wise, but I expected him to have a slightly higher-pitched voice.

I really liked that he had a normal sounding voice BECAUSE it's in juxtaposition to his appearance and reinforces that he is actually a sentient being and not just an animal like Dandy is stereotyping him as (quite hilariously).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
After just finishing "Okami-san and her 7 Companions", seeing SAO's Dengeki-lookin' style was actually.. pleasant. Plain drawing / animation / art wise, I find Suguha / Leafa so much easier to look at than TImeskip Nami / Robin in "modern" OP, lol.

biting someone's boob (and not the just the nipple)...now I've seen everything

By the time I'd seen this GIF, I'd already seen the Rock-Guy on Ninja Scroll engulf a full boob years ago... I'd been desensitized by that, ha.

And thanks to BassForever, and BBboy20 too!

Shippuden was... Shippuden. I will say I did not expect
Kurama
to sound like Dr. Claw.

The Ultimate Ninja games prepared me for this, ha.

SAO.... I swear this show is trolling me.
What kind of dumb MMO requires you to speak for magic to work? MMOs are usually played by people all over the world, all with varying dialects and accents. I don't care if it's the future, there's no speech recognition software advanced enough to do that!

Also I love inconsistent writing!
"I won't let anyone die again! Even though nothing will happen this time!" "It's just a game, who cares what happens?" Fuck this!

The first thing I thought about was... Skyrim + Kinect. Requiring a made-up language actually seems like something Nintendo X Microsoft would do!

And after the trauma of watching people DIE in front of you, I totally understand Kirito's over-reaction. The cost might not be there, but no one wants to watch the image of someone they care for going through agony and acting as if dying, even if it's a fake death.

So dirty... yet... so beautiful!

Maybe it was such a long break, but to me the Luffy/Usopp fight made no sense, or at least the escalation didn't make sense. I don't know why Luffy just kept being cryptic about why the Merry wasn't being repaired.

I didn't like this when I saw it in flashbacks / Pirate Musou 1. It just seemed like "Someone should say something!" Like Nami was saying. But Luffy isn't fighting just Usopp's momentary thought... he's fighting against his complete inferiority complex. If he keeps thinking like that, he's worthless to the crew. I actually respect Luffy making, and STICKING WITH the tough call in this situation. He's a goofball in life, but he's suppose to be a combat genius; this is one of few times were that crosses into every-day life for him.

Space Dandy didn't get off to a great start, I was pretty underwhelmed the first 20 minutes or so. The show started off at a glacial pace and didn't do a great job introducing the characters and explaining their motivations; it seemed barebones and rushed. The whole 'boobies' gag was incredibly cringeworthy and seemed like something a 12 year old boy would come up with. In fact I found most of the comedy to be pretty juvenile and didn't crack a smile until QT beamed that large alien up into the ship.

I feel like I'm watching early Bebop again. It's suppose to be great, sure, but I wasn't sold by any of this. It's trending close to what people hate with SAO at this point, and I refused to be charmed simply by the production cast...

Bleach was...eh. Kageroza continues to troll while Ichigo screams WHY!? At least the animation is nice to look at. The whole Momo thing wasn't as stupid as people were making it out to be. Hitsugaya is traumatized after being tricked by Aizen into stabbing his childhood friend and is hesitant to attack her regai. Kageroza comes up with a good plan of making 2 Momo clones and has them both stab Hitsugaya when he's off guard. The only stupid part was both of them being taken out in one kick by Yoruichi, that was really anti-climactic.

5/10

I actually liked the dual Momo bit too. Kageroza learned from his failures! He took advantage of the "everyone expects the real one to show up and deal with their clone!" issue, and cashed in on it. Awesome!

I'm glad Yoruichi took them out so fast. They served their purpose, it wasn't drawn out, and it makes her look awesome and powerful, which I'm always OK with.

I honestly can't remember much of what happened in Soul Eater. I think Stein was hallucinating the whole episode and then the gang played basketball. Boring.

6/10

I like episodes which are excuses to dress the main cast in alt outfits, develop the plot some, and have fun mind-bending. It's classic "SE style downtime episode", which I really don't mind. The show brings the action and excitement when it wants, so I appreciate it's slow-but-dynamic stuff when it happens.

Some really great sketches. Like the space Dandy refrences and the One Piece one is so well drawn. :O

So great to get to concentrate on Linework with One Piece pictures, haha. It's SO GOOD at those scenes, And it just feels great to take a stab at them. I'd rarely think to draw One Piece if not for Toonami... so it always feels good to do.

Great stuff. I wonder if Space Dandy being new is gonna make it difficult for you to decide what to sketch. :p
Looking forward to it.

For now, it'll be easy, since there's SO LITTLE of it online, I only have a few things to pick from! Which actually makes me want to do some original, less-directly-based-on-scenes stuff.

I'll be growing that Dandy Cover, and partnering updates on that with classic Pre-Art-Academy style covers as I try and build up awesome tributes to Dandy's doings. Rerun-Ep Dumps will suddenly turn into "Hey, I digested Dandy, lets see if I can capture any of it!" excuses, lol.

It's SO ODD drawin' off something I feel like I know... nothing about. Even after watching episode one... I feel like I barely have a bead on who these characters are, lol.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know a lot of people said that QT from Space Dandy sounds like she has the same voice as Alphonse Elric in FMA. While similar, they're not the same.
Alphonse (Brotherhood) is played by Maxey Whitehead. QT is played by Alison Viktorin (best known for Conan Edogawa on Detective Conan).

So... yeah.

Amikami

Banned

The entire scene of them on the planet is just amazing. Music, animation, and the shit Meow and Dandy goes through as well as when QT deals with the alien on the ship is hilarious. Great gifs.

I guess Meow gets a kick out of seeing that Dandy can't breath under water. Lol

Edit:

Uh Oh. Not sure if 100% credible but this Bahi JD guy is supposedly in the animation team and knows. From someone in the Space Dandy OT.

Tamanon

Banned
The entire scene of them on the planet is just amazing. Music, animation, and the shit Meow and Dandy goes through as well as when QT deals with the alien on the ship is hilarious. Great gifs.

I guess Meow gets a kick out of seeing that Dandy can't breath under water. Lol

Edit:

Uh Oh. Not sure if 100% credible but this Bahi JD guy is supposedly in the animation team and knows. From someone in the Space Dandy OT.

Who gives a fuck? Toonami isn't going to show subs.

MikeMyers

youngInoandSakura.jpg

I heard you watched Space Dandy dubbed.

naruto_ino0181.jpg

It was pretty awesome!

KidSakura.jpg

We can't be friends anymore.

Jex

Hello ToonamiGAFians, I hope I find you well. I come to you as an entirely unsanctioned ambassador of the general anime thread, often dubbed 'AnimeGAF'. Earlier today I was reading a number of threads including: the anime thread, this thread and the Space Dandy thread in search of impressions while I waited for the episode to become available in the UK. I noticed a handful of posts in here that I feel warranted further comment:
LOL at the anime gaf members in the Space Dandy OT saying this sucks
Anime GAF hated it. SHOW OVER!
This is a pretty weird example of singling out a particular group to pass comment on and it's also part of a weird narrative I picked up on which suggests that AnimeGAF generally disliked or hated the first episode.

The AnimeGAF thread certainly has a number of regular posters, some of whom post their almost exclusively, but a number of them also post in many places including the Toonami threads so I don't really think they're strictly tribal. They aren't really posting under the banner of AnimeGAF in the Space Dandy OT because they're just consumers of anime in general.

Either way, pointing out people who disagree with your opinion and grouping them all together might be pretty convenient if you want to pass comment on them in a negative manner but it's not particularly helpful. Especially when you're incorrect about the basis of your grouping because the vast majority of the posters in the Space Dandy (and nearly all the one's who didn't like the first episode of Space Dandy) thread don't participate in AnimeGAF at all. Like, ever.

Moreover, AnimeGAF isn't a strict group or identity. It's just a thread where people with often very differing opinions share their thoughts about anime they've watched. Grouping them all together and saying they like X or Y is about as unhelpful as saying all of TooonamiGAF like X or Y.
Amazing how most of Toonami GAF is in love with Space Dandy where as anime gaf is mixed to negative reactions
Now this is slightly closer to reality. Most of impressions of Space Dandy in the AnimeGAF thread can be found on this page. Having a quick read of that page actually shows that most people liked the show quite a bit, with a handful of people disliking it quite a bit.

The most common complaint appears to be with the first half, but that's pretty much the same complaint that you can see in this thread or the Space Dandy thread in the OT and is unrelated to affiliation (or lack thereof) in a particular thread.
So... AnimeGAF doesn't like SAO, right?
I'd say it's about 50/50 of people who think it's genuinely good and people who hate it
I know that some people have already mentioned on this, but it's so odd that I thought I had to talk about it as well.

This is completely incorrect. People in the anime thread watched it every week just to bash the crap out of it, often going to great lengths to vehemently explain their distaste. About two or three people liked the show and were quite disheartened by threads constant negativity.

If you'd like to make broad statements about a thread with dozens of posters, who often share differing opinions, I would recommend that you backup your comments with evidence.

Finally, I don't really want to comment on the dub vs sub debate because, frankly, I find it boring but I will say that I have no idea why there's even a need for a debate at all, or for people to find other people's preferences weird. For the first time ever there's a dub and a sub available at the same time so literally everyone wins.

Anyway, I imagine this will do nothing to dissuade the comments about posters in AnimeGAF being too serious but I just felt that I had to comment on what I read. I certainly bear no ill will towards any poster in this thread or ToonamiGAF as a whole and I'm really glad that so many people on NeoGAF are watching and discussing anime in so many different threads and in so many different ways. With the proliferation of streaming sites like Crunchyroll that can anime practically as it airs and the revival of the Toonami block which allows for the pleasure of group watching it's a genuinely great time to be a fan of anime regardless of the kind of anime you like to consume.

Levyne

Banned
Good post, but that fact that it was even needed is a bit silly. People are passionate and like to draw lines I guess.

Thanks for stopping by Jex, that was a great post. The sweeping generalizations really do need to stop and I mentioned that last night; there's actually a lot of overlap between our two communities. Sometimes I think people get in this 'us' vs 'them' mentality in order to set themselves apart from a similar peer group, hopefully we can all just respect each other a little more and realize that opinions will vary. ToonamiGAF doesn't have a hivemind mentality (well, except for Bleach at times) and neither does AnimeGAF. To imply any different is simply incorrect.

Levyne

Banned
I don't even mean to step over the issue with a "srs bsn" type post. I dunno, I can't put it into words. Everyone knows that groups of people have varying opinions, it feels like the "don't make such broad strokes" type posts are a dime a dozen in response to posts that say [topic]GAF said/feels/thinks [thing]. Or more broadly outside of a GAF community thread you see a generalizing post. I don't feel that anyone making such a post really believes that it's 100% encompassing of the target groups' members. And yet we are still reminded of this obvious fact that not everyone thinks the same way.

It all just feels unneeded.

Wilsongt

AnimeGAF really hated Space Dandy lol

The second half was much better than the first once they got past the overused tit jokes. The music was pretty good, too.

Shippuden looks like it gets a lot more interesting much quicker than original Naruto. Plus, Opening 10 is best opening, but we won't see that for a looooooong time.

Bleach was Bleach, lol. Once again, Ichigo is the all powerful one.

One Piece. Oh, drama.

Soul Eater: Lots of back and forth with Stein, which was good. Though, I think it was pretty obvious what his choice was gonna be. Getting closer to another Kid-centric episode, which is a good one.

Then I went to bed.

I don't even mean to step over the issue with a "srs bsn" type post. I dunno, I can't put it into words. Everyone knows that groups of people have varying opinions, it feels like the "don't make such broad strokes" type posts are a dime a dozen in response to posts that say [topic]GAF said/feels/thinks [thing]. Or more broadly outside of a GAF community thread you see a generalizing post. I don't feel that anyone making such a post really believes that it's 100% encompassing of the target groups' members. And yet we are still reminded of this obvious fact that not everyone thinks the same way.

It all just feels unneeded.

This is how I feel. The whole "NOT A HIVEMIND" type of post just kind of makes me roll my eyes. However, in this case I do think it is needed at least a little bit because "AnimeGAF hated Space Dandy" really isn't true; it was highly polarized, sort of split down the middle. Of course if we were looking at 80% of the posted impressions being negative I'd be right there with you, nobody actually means that every member of a community hated it. They're speaking about the majority.

Bleach was Bleach, lol. Once again, Ichigo is the all powerful one.

Ichigo was barely even in the episode and it ended with Kageroza cutting him. He's been clearly outmatched due to unstable spiritual pressure and Kageroza's over powered zanpaktou ability...And Ichigo is the main character, shouldn't he be powerful? This is a shonen.

Comments like this make me wonder if people even watch or just barely pay attention and then automatically complain.

Raxus

Hello ToonamiGAFians, I hope I find you well. I come to you as an entirely unsanctioned ambassador of the general anime thread, often dubbed 'AnimeGAF'. Earlier today I was reading a number of threads including: the anime thread, this thread and the Space Dandy thread in search of impressions while I waited for the episode to become available in the UK. I noticed a handful of posts in here that I feel warranted further comment:

If I may interject. I think you took my post out of context. When that was posted it was exactly at the mind fuck of an ending that is the first episode. It was a joke. I am sorry you didn't interpret it as such.

I have been to AnimeGAF plenty of times. Hell I even started watching Log Horizon and other anime based on their recommendations so I hope I don't breed any ill will between ToonamiGAF and AnimeGAF. Part of the fun of watching this show live is commenting what we are seeing in front of us live. People reading it the next day may get the wrong impression.

Hope that sort of clears things up.

Wilsongt

It's almost like Jexhius didn't put up that really sensible post just now.

writes name down on list

I did not see that post until just now, but now I feel like shoe in mouth.

Ichigo was barely even in the episode and it ended with Kageroza cutting him. He's been clearly outmatched due to unstable spiritual pressure and Kageroza's over powered zanpaktou ability...And Ichigo is the main character, shouldn't he be powerful? This is a shonen.

Comments like this make me wonder if people even watch or just barely pay attention and then automatically complain.

I did watch, and I did notice the distinct lack of Ichigo this episode. However, when Kageroza's explanation of why he was getting rid of Ichigo is simply for the fact that he can't create a clone of Ichigo due to him being a hybrid of everything, it's a clear example of a convenient excuse for Ichigo to save the day for the filler arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom