• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wat.

Valvrave 10 impressions.

Again I say wat. What in the world did I just watch? Is the little AI program controlling Haruto? Why is it so horny? Was it always trying to rape someone? Did the little thing almost make Haruto rape L-Elf that one time? You're right. I was not prepared for the stupidity. This is pandering to the extreme. "The immortal vampire powers I got made me rape a girl but then she accepted it so it was cool." I feel super dirty. This is why people don't take anime seriously.
hakasesakamotolaughing.gif

Alright, time for me to catch up on more Skypiea arc. I think I'm at or close to where the arc stopped airing on Cartoon Network, though re-watching the episodes I've seen seriously reminded me of a bunch of stuff I forgot. Oh, & while I totally understand the reason to recap previous events at the beginning of the episode, man does it get annoying when you're watching them back to back.

Valvrave 11 impressions.

The stupid has been lowered considerably this episode. I finally got to see where that one gif you guys are always posting comes from. I know that feel too, Akira. Just leave me alone in my dark corner of a room with my laptop and i'm happy. Poor whatsherface whose name escapes me atm. First the love of her life is off raping some chick while you're declaring to the world that you'll finally confess to him and then he kills your father with a magical glowing space sword. Her life could not be any worse. At least Haruto wants to do right by the purple hair girl. Not the most romantic proposal though. One more episode for today.

Wat.

Valvrave 10 impressions.

Again I say wat. What in the world did I just watch? Is the little AI program controlling Haruto? Why is it so horny? Was it always trying to rape someone? Did the little thing almost make Haruto rape L-Elf that one time? You're right. I was not prepared for the stupidity. This is pandering to the extreme. "The immortal vampire powers I got made me rape a girl but then she accepted it so it was cool." I feel super dirty. This is why people don't take anime seriously.

I know it was murdered to death but

Banderas.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nami in Pirate Warriors 2 & Alabasta arc: "Wow, she's really neat & can actually do some fighting, & with an interesting weapon nevertheless!!"
Nami in Skypiea arc: "WHY ARE YOU SO USELESS?! Actually contribute something instead of having to be saved!! What happened to you in the previous arc in Alabasta?!"

Valvrave 12 impressions.

This episode=You are my friend aaaahaaah!!! I'm actually happy with the pilot of the purple valvrave. She seems interesting enough. Also, what could be better than a mentally unstable girl piloting a giant robot warmachine? Anywho, I really don't like the snippets of future stuff they randomly throw in. It's making it seem like Haruto dies somehow. I know he's immortal and all, but they're hinting at it pretty fucking hard. And what was up with the Magius guys? And also that blue hair valvrave AI? This show is 10 kinds of crazy.

MikeMyers

Nami in Pirate Warriors 2 & Alabasta arc: "Wow, she's really neat & can actually do some fighting, & with an interesting weapon nevertheless!!"
Nami in Skypiea arc: "WHY ARE YOU SO USELESS?! Actually contribute something instead of having to be saved!! What happened to you in the previous arc in Alabasta?!"

Who would you guys say is the most useful and involved-with-the-plot character out of Nami. Rukia, and Sakura?

MikeMyers

Naruto is the only one of the big three that I've read enough to judge the character, and Sakura has it pretty rough there. In Part 1 her only real moments is when she fought Orochimaru's henchemen and her fight with Ino; but even then she loses the former and in the latter's case needed Naruto's help to secure a draw.

.......come to think of it, does she even have a major fight in the Skypiea arc?

Naruto is the only one of the big three that I've read enough to judge the character, and Sakura has it pretty rough there. In Part 1 her only real moments is when she fought Orochimaru's henchemen and her fight with Ino; but even then she loses the former and in the latter's case needed Naruto's help to secure a draw.

also, both of those fights were terrible due to their insertion of Sakura's laughable past with Ino.

Raxus

Valvrave 12 impressions.

This episode=You are my friend aaaahaaah!!! I'm actually happy with the pilot of the purple valvrave. She seems interesting enough. Also, what could be better than a mentally unstable girl piloting a giant robot warmachine? Anywho, I really don't like the snippets of future stuff they randomly throw in. It's making it seem like Haruto dies somehow. I know he's immortal and all, but they're hinting at it pretty fucking hard. And what was up with the Magius guys? And also that blue hair valvrave AI? This show is 10 kinds of crazy.

FOR THE SUPERMARKET!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We can't be friends anymore because we both love the same guy who is disinterested in both of us.

See, you mock this but this happens all the time to tween girls. Fuck at that age it can happen with CELEBRITY crushes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
.......come to think of it, does she even have a major fight in the Skypiea arc?
At the moment, I don't know, though I just saw the hilarious part of
her punching a wolf, & then they like her attitude, then all of a sudden, funny campfire party with the pack of wolves

See, you mock this but this happens all the time to tween girls. Fuck at that age it can happen with CELEBRITY crushes.

but it's never portrayed as something stupid. they play fucking sad music and everything. this series isn't subtle enough to be quietly mocking this sort of thing, we're supposed to actually think it's some kind of tragedy and feel empathy for this shit. they even try to make you feel sad when Sakura's confessing her love to Sasuke as he's leaving the village, and it just comes off as pathetic because all she really is is a squealing fangirl.

But they were like 8 when that begun. 8 year olds don't break off friendships for love spats. Do 8 year olds even have love spats? At that age I still thought the concept of couples was icky.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
But they were like 8 when that begun. 8 year olds don't break off friendships for love spats. Do 8 year olds even have love spats? At that age I still thought the concept of couples was icky.

What you need to remember is that Kishimoto can't write a woman to save his skin. He also can't write a way that doesn't put him in a corner. .................. I still can't believe he admitted that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FINALLY, ep. 167 & the main villain of Skypiea appears (oh hey, voiced by FMA: Brotherhood's Scar & Steins;Gate's Okabe!)! Cannot wait to see how this turns out after all these years. Though craaaaaaaap it's going to be a LOOOOONG time before
Brook, Perona, & their whole arc
appears on Toonami, considering that doesn't start until freakin' episode 337....

the first day of 2014 isn't even over and I'm already hating the new year on account of wasting my time going to the Winter Classic. And there's a 50% of Valvrave this Saturday? 2014 fucking blows

edit: And now I just found out that Uncle Phil died. #FUCK2014

Raxus

What you need to remember is that Kishimoto can't write a woman to save his skin. He also can't write a way that doesn't put him in a corner. .................. I still can't believe he admitted that.

Even if he didn't, this last arc is a PRETTY big indicator of that fact.

Kishi: Shit, I think I may have broken this guy a bit too much. 20 CHAPTERS OF EXPLANATION NO JUTSU!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
14 episodes finished, how many more until I'm done with this arc? *looks up guide* 27 MORE EPISODES?! Ugh, I might as well try to finish this before the 13th, or else I'll never get myself the free time to watch the rest....Though part of me wonders if I should switch to the manga since I can probably read it faster than watching the episodes.

14 episodes finished, how many more until I'm done with this arc? *looks up guide* 27 MORE EPISODES?! Ugh, I might as well try to finish this before the 13th, or else I'll never get myself the free time to watch the rest....Though part of me wonders if I should switch to the manga since I can probably read it faster than watching the episodes.

Naruto? Read the goddamn manga.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nah, One Piece. I'm watching the Skypiea arc since Cartoon Network never finished it, Pirate Warriors 2 is getting me back into the series, & it's something to watch while waiting for the Water 7 arc to continue.

there's a reason a lot of people don't like Skypiea.

i think once things really get started it makes up for taking so damn long, but i'm sure as hell not in a hurry to rewatch it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pirate warriors 2 is out? The roster for that game is insane.

"Room"
Yeah, it was on sale on PSN for $12.50 instead of the usual $50 a month ago, so I figured it'd be worth it now that I'm getting back into the series. & I must say, it makes me want to see the story arcs for the characters I haven't seen before/their role in the anime & manga.

there's a reason a lot of people don't like Skypiea.

i think once things really get started it makes up for taking so damn long, but i'm sure as hell not in a hurry to rewatch it.
Yeah, I remember as a teen, just being bored by it because it felt things were just going so slowly & I recall that being the reason why I didn't bother with the series after CN took it off the air. I think I was getting out of Bleach & Naruto around the same time as well, because I was losing interest in all the long-running animes & starting to shift over to the shorter 12-24 episode stuff.

Yeah, I remember as a teen, just being bored by it because it felt things were just going so slowly & I recall that being the reason why I didn't bother with the series after CN took it off the air. I think I was getting out of Bleach & Naruto around the same time as well, because I was losing interest in all the long-running animes & starting to shift over to the shorter 12-24 episode stuff.

i'd say it takes until about 176 or so to really get going (maybe 170). though the whole Ordeal of Spheres had its moments and Chopper's fight was decent.

Skypiea is the worst canon arc/saga of One Piece that isn't the Davy back fight. It's still good just takes too long

i would still put it over most of the East Blue personally.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Skypiea is the worst canon arc/saga of One Piece that isn't the Davy back fight. It's still good just takes too long

What it lacks in story progression it makes up for in hooks and set-ups. So many seeds planted.

i'd say it takes until about 176 or so to really get going (maybe 170). though the whole Ordeal of Spheres had its moments and Chopper's fight was decent.

i would still put it over most of the East Blue personally.

Nah those arcs work as main character and main plot set up. They're not as great on rewatch but first time they're enjoyable. Skypiea holds up better on rewatch I'll admit but the first time through it feels like a step back from Alabasta

Cwarrior

Shake my head people who hate skypeia have no adventure in there soul, it's a better arc then any of ones before it like alabasta and east blue.

People just can't appreciate it spends a lot of time developing sky island, it's culture,it's technology and it's history, animefans just want there simple round of one on one fights.

Shake my head people who hate skypeia have no adventure in there soul, it's a better arc then any of ones before it like alabasta and east blue.

People just can't appreciate it spends a lot of time developing sky island, it's culture,it's technology and it's history, animefans just want there simple round of one on one fights.

yeah, sorry, that's complete bullshit when all the other arcs developed their setting while maintaining interest much better than Skypiea did.

I don't dislike Skypiea for those parts, they work really well and are the best parts of the arc

I dislike skypiea because the fights aren't as good, the emotional stakes aren't as high, the villains aren't as interesting (enel is cool, the 4 priest are just okay), and they spend too much time in the all out brawl survival game focusing on minor villains fighting wiper and co who I don't care for.

I don't dislike Skypiea for those parts, they work really well and are the best parts of the arc

I dislike skypiea because the fights aren't as good, the emotional stakes aren't as high, the villains aren't as interesting (enel is cool, the 4 priest are just okay), and they spend too much time in the all out brawl survival game focusing on minor villains fighting wiper and co who I don't care for.

HEY, EVERYONE WAS ACTUALLY OK!
was also some bullshit, and Conis is pretty boring. going from her to Vivi was such a downgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom