• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

zkylon

zkylewd
does anyone know if the $39 reward tier includes all the $35 stuff?

I'd like the retrospective + the OST + artbook and it's not really clear on the description :/

Mashing

It's kind of funny how many people claim this is the case, when on day one of this Kickstarter we at inXile were almost completely sure this wasn't going to happen, and it only got finalized that it actually could happen a few days ago.

It's just one of those self-fulfilling prophecies.

taoofjord

As much as I want this game to happen I just can't support the gross use of stretch goals. I've yet to play one of the stretch goal kickstarter games, to be fair, but games with a strong vision behind it, especially one like this, should include all of the important content from the beginning. Besides, the more content they add the more there is the chance that they'll rush it (or outsource it) and quality will suffer.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As much as I want this game to happen I just can't support the gross use of stretch goals. I've yet to play one of the stretch goal kickstarter games, to be fair, but games with a strong vision behind it, especially one like this, should include all of the important content from the beginning. Besides, the more content they add the more there is the chance that they'll rush it (or outsource it) and quality will suffer.

The scope of a project like this is flexible within a range. At minimum funding it can have a few writers and designers, they can pay for some music and no voice acting, and it can have the graphics complexity of something like Shadowrun Returns. At 4-5 million they can go with beautiful hand dawn touches on intricate prerendered backgrounds, an orchestral score, establishing voice acting work for the significant characters, and have enough writing talent for a diverse, fleshed out world with a well-developed backstory. At 10 million or 20 million or 40 million you can start thinking about the original vision possibly changing for the worse due to excessive funding.

injurai

Banned
ya they aren't getting deep into pre-production until after the KS is over. Obsidian is still waist deep in theirs preprod.

taoofjord

I suppose it just comes down to trust. There are, or will be, people abusing the concept in a way that could weaken the game (just as DLC and microtransactions can do).. I will be supporting this project soon and I hope that my trust in them to do right by their inspiration is not misplaced.

Zeliard

I suppose it just comes down to trust. There are, or will be, people abusing the concept in a way that could weaken the game (just as DLC and microtransactions can do).. I will be supporting this project soon and I hope that my trust in them to do right by their inspiration is not misplaced.

They increase content and allocate the money for that content based directly on the additional funds they get, so there should ideally not be any waste.

One million's the minimum, yes, that'll get you a game (Brian would've chipped in 100K to hit that 1M). Less companions (companions are a huge overhead in RPGs), less locations, one gender, heavily reusing Wasteland 2's systems and even graphics, but still, being creative, could've made a much smaller, but good game.

But game design and especially RPG design is by its nature modular, even more so as our project lead Kevin Saunders from day 1 set out to include modular concepts so the budget becomes much more flexible. This applies to story, companions, reactivity, graphics, etc.

It's kind of like, one million's what was needed to do it, but in no way are we running out of plans we have outlined as our budget increases. And yes, all of it goes straight into the game, it has nowhere else to go.

Dr.Acula

Banned
*Looks at stretch goals*

So... does everyone who is added as a stretch goal... need beautifully coiffed hair?

I'm not the only one noticing the styling on all these designers/writers am I?

Eusis

The scope of a project like this is flexible within a range. At minimum funding it can have a few writers and designers, they can pay for some music and no voice acting, and it can have the graphics complexity of something like Shadowrun Returns. At 4-5 million they can go with beautiful hand dawn touches on intricate prerendered backgrounds, an orchestral score, establishing voice acting work for the significant characters, and have enough writing talent for a diverse, fleshed out world with a well-developed backstory. At 10 million or 20 million or 40 million you can start thinking about the original vision possibly changing for the worse due to excessive funding.
I think the only path forward when reaching 10+ is to outright commit the spill over to future game develoment, if that's an acceptable stretch goal. Brother None highlighted what the minimum would've been if they ONLY reached a million, but if they somehow had an extra 5 million maybe that bare minimum on the next one would be higher, and the Kickstarter more a formality to ensure people really do want it.

EDIT: How did I confuse a million with a hundred?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think the only path forward when reaching 10+ is to outright commit the spill over to future game develoment, if that's an acceptable stretch goal. Brother None highlighted what the minimum would've been if they ONLY reached a hundred, but if they somehow had an extra 5 million maybe that bare minimum on the next one would be higher, and the Kickstarter more a formality to ensure people really do want it.

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that sort of concept. Funding an expansion pack is also a viable option.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that sort of concept. Funding an expansion pack is also a viable option.

I would totally add more money to my pledge for an expansion pack, ala P:E.

Eusis

I actually considered saying sequel, but I have a feeling this won't lend itself too well to at least a direct continuation of the story, but an expansion that can take place in the middle if need be? Yeah, that'd be nice to see actually.

szaromir

Banned
It's kind of funny how many people claim this is the case, when on day one of this Kickstarter we at inXile were almost completely sure this wasn't going to happen, and it only got finalized that it actually could happen a few days ago.
OK. It was obvious to everyone outside inXile then. ;]

~Kinggi~

Banned
Off topic Wasteland 2 update.

wUU1lgO.jpg

MAD Monks cult or something or another. They got good concept artists at inxile

Somnia

Why? You can still buy those games in future, the devs will certainly survive without those $50 or however much you would have pledged. Anyway, I have much more fun pledging to and following smaller projects, those in the $50k-$200k range.

I don't regret the not pledging part, the missing out on the old school pc box's and stuff is what I regret missing out on.

I like the point that voice acting hinders where you can go with the story. Planescape did this so well with the dense, descriptive writing. I'm just thinking aloud, but I would be perfectly happy with them doing minimal voice acting especially considering the cost. In games like this I prefer to read at my own pace, not hang around waiting for the VA to finish.

Avellone is huge and I hope it pushes some good pledging from here on out.

injurai

Banned
I like the point that voice acting hinders where you can go with the story. Planescape did this so well with the dense, descriptive writing. I'm just thinking aloud, but I would be perfectly happy with them doing minimal voice acting especially considering the cost. In games like this I prefer to read at my own pace, not hang around waiting for the VA to finish.

Avellone is huge and I hope it pushes some good pledging from here on out.

honestly though, VA would probably be very important if they want to attract some new attention to this project. The game would feel rather incomplete without some form of VA.

Otherwise the need to have smaller chat screens that you walk through multiple panes instead of being handed a wall of text. This is more of a concern of just attracting people outside of the hardcore PS:T fans

honestly though, VA would probably be very important if they want to attract some new attention to this project. The game would feel rather incomplete without some form of VA.

Otherwise the need to have smaller chat screens that you walk through multiple panes instead of being handed a wall of text. This is more of a concern of just attracting people outside of the hardcore PS:T fans

Definitely agree, I'm just saying too much might hinder where they can go. I'm all for significant characters / scenarios getting some quality VA.

injurai

Banned
Definitely agree, I'm just saying too much might hinder where they can go. I'm all for significant characters / scenarios getting some quality VA.

Yeah, I'm sure they can just make it an option to disable it. and I like the option of a varying sized text screens.

*wink wink, nudge nudge* brother none

epmode

Otherwise the need to have smaller chat screens that you walk through multiple panes instead of being handed a wall of text.

Torment is a wall of text, though. You'd be happier with having to click three times as often just to have smaller text boxes?

Still, options are usually nice and it doesn't sound that hard to implement.

Zeliard

All they should do as far as voice acting is exactly what Torment did. VA should consist of party banter, introductory lines from important characters, and the occasional other line of dialogue that would be well-served in standing out a bit more.

injurai

Banned
Torment is a wall of text, though. You'd be happier with having to click three times as often just to have smaller text boxes?

Still, options are usually nice and it doesn't sound that hard to implement.

Wall of text is like "oh damn, now I have to read all of this" while a smaller one (none scrolling) where you just click through, you focus on one bit at a time. It just reduces the internal eye rolling of watching those walls pop up. Leaves the pretty art exposed too. so you can see who you may be talking to.

All they should do as far as voice acting is exactly what Torment did. VA should consist of party banter, introductory lines from important characters, and the occasional other line of dialogue that would be well-served in standing out a bit more.

Yeah, I could honestly care less about all the deep conversations getting it. But it's needs VA in some form.

Jenga

Banned
All they should do as far as voice acting is exactly what Torment did. VA should consist of party banter, introductory lines from important characters, and the occasional other important line that would be well-served in standing out a bit more.

don't forget romance

"I love you [buttlord], stay with me"

Miletius

Yep. There are seminal lines of voice that people remember from PS:T so I can see how a few lines here and there could be beneficial.

Totally agree here.

Durante

Yep.

Otherwise the need to have smaller chat screens that you walk through multiple panes instead of being handed a wall of text.
But I want walls of text.

Top Bottom