• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

Sun party!

20170821_100336yusl6.jpg

20170821_101652qss4e.jpg

20170821_101939n9sjg.jpg

_Isaac

I am in Southern California and even from here it's beautiful. I kinda wish I would've driven somewhere for more coverage. I love the little crescent lights under a trees shade.

Sky Chief

Monterey, CA. First of all it's way too overcast to see the sun. The sky dimmed by maybe 5-10% tops but that might just be placebo. Basically, nothing happened. Not impressed.

Jezan

How long did you look at the sun though? I mean usually looking at the sun or having it in your peripheral totally sucks. also I planned on just glancing up for a second to look at it. Just read an article about the real damage coming from those staring at it.
Don't fucking do it, you have to be stupid to do it. You will never recover if you try that.

styl3s

Nashville gets totality right? I know someone who lives there and told me he doesnt care at all.

the nerves of some people.
I live in TN and don't know a single person who cares even the slightest about it including myself.

I'll just look at some pictures.

Is it possible to get a shot of the entire moon shadow moving across the US - maybe from the ISS or a plane?

I think that was part of what they were doing on the NASA live feed, launching those weather balloons from a football stadium in Carbondale.

The ISS orbits every 90 minutes so it wouldn't see the United States (or the daylight side of Earth) continuously.

The EPIC camera onboard DSCOVR orbits at L1 and produces a multi-spectrum image every two hours. Because of its position between the sun and Earth it will probably get enough data to make a decent (if brief) animation of the moon's shadow passing across the Pacific to the mainland and then off into the Atlantic. I seem to recall they've published such sequences from other total eclipses.

In Victoria BC, we just had about 90% coverage. My big takeaway is how crazy bright 10% of the sun's light still is.

The shadows from the tree leaves were amazing.

Biske

You know. Here in Utah like 90% or so. Not that dark. Super cool. But not mind blowing.

Should go to a full eclipse location next time.

Edit. Like just above me. Yeah still bright as fuck. Looking through these glasses and how you can't see anything but the sun. It's insane how bright it is

Nesotenso

after thunder storms in the morning, it has cleared up in KC. has started here.

wish I had gone further north to see the eclipse better.

manfestival

Don't fucking do it, you have to be stupid to do it. You will never recover if you try that.

Fine... I may protest but I may as well just stay inside and continue working. We aren't getting totality here. Just getting 85% so meh. Good ol cognitive dissonance at work here for my safety.

The fuck it was. that was incredible. Day turns to night, the stars reappear. The temperature drop. The moon brightens up and looks like something out of elder scrolls. That was incredible. But I also live in one of the best viewing spots in Oregon.

Yah. Was crazy.
Don't forget the 360 degree sunset. I seriously did not expect how quickly day went to night.

Just watched a live news feed from work, total eclipses are quite awesome. I didn't know it got that dark and the ring actually looks cool.

Top Bottom