• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2016 |OT| Lead-out: EUROs / Autobus: Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Quintana is best in the third week. he just needs to lose as little as possible until the alps start

Exactly. Froome on the other hand has previously shown great strength in the first week which he has used to gain an advantage that allowed him to ride defensively for the rest of the race.

I want to see Movistar and Nairo attacking for once.

last year they waited 3 weeks for Froome to frail. He never did.

I am seeing a deja vu, but instead of 4 minutes, Froome has 23 secs

What a beautiful sport.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Sergio Henao 8th!

kottila

I want to see Movistar and Nairo attacking for once.

last year they waited 3 weeks for Froome to frail. He never did.

I am seeing a deja vu, but instead of 4 minutes, Froome has 23 secs

What a beautiful sport.

*-*-*-*-*-*-

Sergio Henao 8th!

Are you serious? Quintana outclimbed Froome in week 3 both in 2015 and 2013. He would've probably won the tour last year hadn't he lost time due to a split caused by wind in the first week

Ruruja

With two ITTs instead of the 0 at last year's Tour, you would think Quintana would have to be a little more aggressive on stages like today.

Are you serious? Quintana outclimbed Froome in week 3 both in 2015 and 2013. He would've probably won the tour last year hadn't he lost time due to a split caused by wind in the first week

Yes he did and the advantage was bigger last year.

Hope all these defensive tactics will eventually pay off

kottila

With two ITTs instead of the 0 at last year's Tour, you would think Quintana would have to be a little more aggressive on stages like today.

The last itt is a hill climb which quintana could easily win if his form is there. The first one is not flat and not that long. He won't lose too much time there.
If younguys wanted an exciting GT you should've watched the giro this year. The vuelta also has a lot of great racing with many riders whomdesperately need results

JPKellams

The last itt is a hill climb which quintana could easily win if his form is there. The first one is not flat and not that long. He won't lose too much time there.
If younguys wanted an exciting GT you should've watched the giro this year. The vuelta also has a lot of great racing with many riders whomdesperately need results

To be fair, the Arcalis climb is not the kind that suits Movistar/Nairo. Long, sub-10% grades are Sky's place to shine because the gradients aren't enough to shed their primary domestiques. They will grind you out.

The minute you saw Herrada and Anacona up the road on Arcalis was the minute you knew that Movistar were not going to attack. They would have sat up if Nairo would have attacked on the previous climb.

Interesting break today. Hope they manage to stay out or at least make it close.

Ugh, Voeckler on the front. I hope he drops back so I don't have to look at him pull faces for the camera.

When GVA and EBH opened up the sprint I thought he was boxed in but that was probably Matthews' best performance in a long while. He's sort of plateaued in the last year or so, nice to see him back towards his best.

Three fractures for Contador.

http://www.*****************/sport/...pain-cyclist-suffers-three-leg-fractures.html
Spain's Alberto Contador has been ruled out of the Olympics after three leg fractures were diagnosed following his withdrawal from the Tour de France.

Two-time Tour winner Contador abandoned the Tour on Sunday's ninth stage, having twice crashed in the opening two stages before struggling with illness.

Scans showed three fractures 'which prevented him from pedalling normally' during the Tour, his spokesman said on Tuesday.

Damn. I'm sure he'll clean up at Vuelta again, though, ha!

Why can't Mont Ventoux be on my day off work instead of a sprint stage. Sigh.

Rumors suggest they are expecting 100km/h winds on top of Ventoux so it may be called off or the finish earlier down the mountain or on the flat. Reading fail.

Wind already causing havoc today.

Joni

They're being idiots, they need to speed up in the first group to get a bigger lead so they can actually get their bidons.

kottila

Just rode up Ventoux. Almost blown off the road a couple of times and I gave up and walked some stretches in the last km. I definately understand why they would shorten the stage. Going down was even worse,

I also have to say that it's a bit sad that this so surprising. Team radios make racing super boring, this would've been quite normal in the old days as far as I can tell.

Joni

It is just boring because they are afraid to attack in the mountain stages. There was a Pantani broadcast on TV today here, they showed how he attacked like three mountain stages in a row.

The end of today's stage was one of the best finishes I've seen in years with the green and yellow jerseys breaking away for the victory and seconds.

I'm not really a fan of Froome and the rest of the Death Star squad*, but this Tour Froome has been extremely courageous, aggressive and tactical. I am really, really impressed by the descending clinic he put on a couple days ago and his ability to catch up with Sagan on today's stage.

Chapeau to Froome!!

*It's hard for me to root for the highest paid team and they remind me of the Postal train that Lance built. I don't know whether Sky dopes or not, but I'll assume innocence in the interest of enjoying my favorite team sport.

It is a bit of a shame they didn't give it to the third place rider though. It seemed Sagan wanted to, but Froome didn't seem to go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom