• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Refuses to Support Paul Ryan, McCain, in Primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that was from three months ago. I didn't think Trump's memory was that good, and Ryan probably didn't, either.

Now they're all probably racking their brains trying to remember if they ever did anything to make Trump think they wronged him.
That legendary thin skin. The guy grabs every insult, every slight with his tiny gremlin hands and stores them for rainy days. Hell, he might only be running to get a chance to send revenge letters with a POTUS seal on them.

Volimar

This seems like he's doing this just because he's worried they'll unendorse him, and now if they do, he can point to this as the reason.

Slayven

So these spineless toads bend over backwards defending him and he doesn't even do the political equivalent of a pat on the back?

We're talking about the Speaker of the House and a former candidate for the presidency.

Very, very, very different.

Oh, I know that. I just meant that with the lightning-fast movement of news this election, where the GOP nominee is making career mistakes on an hourly basis, including picking fights with his party's House Speaker, even a Senator fighting with a journalist wouldn't be able to have as long of legs in the news cycle.

Zell Miller was a notable point of weirdness in the 2004 election cycle, to the point where we still remember it today. It'd be a blip this year compared to the craziness coming from the candidate himself.

Trump continued, “I don’t know Kelly Ayotte. I know she’s given me no support — zero support — and yet I’m leading her in the polls. I’m doing very well in New Hampshire. We need loyal people in this country. We need fighters in this country. We don’t need weak people. We have enough of them. We need fighters in this country. But Kelly Ayotte has given me zero support, and I’m doing great in New Hampshire.”

“I like Paul, but these are horrible times for our country,” Trump said. “We need very strong leadership. We need very, very strong leadership. And I’m just not quite there yet. I’m not quite there yet.”

Why does he repeat everything he says twice (sometimes even more)?

This just confirms that the Trump campaign is one big social experriment, where they test just how much shit he can actually he can not only get away with, but actually gain support for.

I bit script writers in Hollywood are tearing their hair off in frustration over that they didn't come up with this setup for a political satire.

Xando

Meanwhile

Co4kQ6wXgAAFu_o
"Thankfully i dodged that shit"

This is delicious! After they swallowed their pride (and their dignity) and endorsed Trump, they now look like double-fools instead of just regular fools.

hawk2025

Oh, I know that. I just meant that with the lightning-fast movement of news this election, where the GOP nominee is making career mistakes on an hourly basis, including picking fights with his party's House Speaker, even a Senator fighting with a journalist wouldn't be able to have as long of legs in the news cycle.

Zell Miller was a notable point of weirdness in the 2004 election cycle, to the point where we still remember it today. It'd be a blip this year compared to the craziness coming from the candidate himself.

Oh, no doubt.

The duel thing was a running joke throughout the whole election season. It would be nothing nowadays!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Poking+Bears.jpg

There has to be a point where he crosses a line so badly that even the GOP can't fall-in, right?

..... Right?

Nah that's looong long since gone. GOP is in a sunk cost fallacy, after going through all this bullshit for so long, finally folding would make the entire endeavour a giant waste of time.

Rokal

It's hilarious how Paul Ryan endorsed Trump at the RNC, and then Trump pulls this stunt.

This is classic Trump. He has no loyalty or memory of favors done for him, his attitude towards other people revolves entirely around what other people can do for him and whether they are helping feed his ego.

From the excellent New Yorker tell-all article about Trump's ghostwriter for his memoir in 1987:

In “The Art of the Deal,” Trump portrays himself as a warm family man with endless admirers. He praises Ivana’s taste and business skill—“I said you can’t bet against Ivana, and she proved me right.” But Schwartz noticed little warmth or communication between Trump and Ivana, and he later learned that while “The Art of the Deal” was being written Trump began an affair with Marla Maples, who became his second wife. (He divorced Ivana in 1992.) As far as Schwartz could tell, Trump spent very little time with his family and had no close friends. In “The Art of the Deal,” Trump describes Roy Cohn, his personal lawyer, in the warmest terms, calling him “the sort of guy who’d be there at your hospital bed . . . literally standing by you to the death.” Cohn, who in the fifties assisted Senator Joseph McCarthy in his vicious crusade against Communism, was closeted. He felt abandoned by Trump when he became fatally ill from AIDS, and said, “Donald pisses ice water.” Schwartz says of Trump, “He’d like people when they were helpful, and turn on them when they weren’t. It wasn’t personal. He’s a transactional man—it was all about what you could do for him.”

Poking+Bears.jpg

There has to be a point where he crosses a line so badly that even the GOP can't fall-in, right?

..... Right?

That was my question earlier. Like at this point the writing is on the wall. Either save face now or go down with the ship later. Trump has given a treasure trove of material for Hilary's ad campaign and the Super PACs that support her. And if he chooses to even attend the debates it will be a bloodbath. There is nothing good that can come out of continuing to endorse Trump.

Poor GOP. Destroyed from the inside. Trump is literally breaking this party apart and I don't know what to say. It's just... Awful. Hopefully they come to their senses but I doubt it.

Zips

McCain sucked it up and endorsed Trump, presumably for re-election support, but can't he simply say 'to hell with it' and denounce Trump, then retire if he loses his upcoming reelection?

I have to imagine a lot of the senior party members are so wealthy that they could have retired ages ago if they wanted - or landed cushy jobs in private industry. Why would they be so desperate to hold onto their elected positions as to humiliate themselves like this?

TS-08

Sopan Deb:

Paul Ryan spox @zackroday says nobody from Ryan's team or Ryan ever asked for Trump's endorsement:

Movie? There better be a freaking 12 episode miniseries. There's so much fuckery in the past 12 months it can fit two seasons.

Written by Aaron Sorkin. Directed by Fincher. Scored by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

Or the entire team behind the Big Short. The pace and humor of that movie would fit this well.

Coupled with Obama comment earlier, and now the GOP will have to lick Trump's ball sweat. They are stuck now with no wiggle room, and I am really enjoying witnessing the GOP disintegrate in such short amount of time.

Apharmd

Sopan Deb:

Paul Ryan spox @zackroday says nobody from Ryan's team or Ryan ever asked for Trump's endorsement:

Oh my god. This is literally the grown-man equivalent of kids on the playground screaming "I NEVER WANTED IT ANYWAY!" when denied a thing.

This is exactly what I would expect a saboteur to do. That the GOP will still continue to support him despite all the issues he is causing them just makes it even more hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom