• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 164: Henderson vs. Pettis 2 |OT| Will Lightning Strike Twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ibucjMslC6q9ot.jpg

Main Card - On PPV at 7pm PT / 10PM ET

Benson Henderson (-120) vs. Anthony Pettis (EVEN)
Josh Barnett (-175) vs. Frank Mir (+155)
Chad Mendes (-450) vs. Clay Guida (+360)
Erik Koch (-150) vs. Dustin Poirier (+110)
Brandon Vera (-140) vs. Ben Rothwell (+120)

Televised Prelims - On Fox Sports 1 at 5pm PT / 8pm ET

Jamie Varner (-145) vs. Gleison Tibau (+105)
Pascal Krauss (-185) vs. Hyun Gyu Lim (+145)
Tim Elliott (-160) vs. Louis Gaudinot (+120)
Kyung Ho Kang (-210) vs. Chico Camus (+160)

Early Prelims - Streaming Online via Facebook and YouTube at 3:30pm PT / 6:30pm ET

Al Iaquinta (-245) vs. Ryan Couture (+175)
Nikita Krylov (-180) vs. Soa Palelei (+140)
Jared Hamman (-125) vs. Magnus Cedenblad (-115)

main event gonna be zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Benson gonna fight the safest fight of his career and Pettis will get frustrated and shut himself down. another boring 25m decision by BendoSP.

hyped for Barnett destroying Mur, Chad gonna sub Guida, Rothwell will send Vera to Hades and Varner v Tibau should end in 60 seconds.

much better card than the usual trash they try to pass as "competitive".

i was also under the impression someone else was gonna make the OT, but whatever.

Bolded are my guesses.

Kind of looking forward to this card... in a "check the result the next day" way. I bet Henderson v. Pettis will be something I regret missing though.

I don't follow. The prelims are stacked.
Stacked? I don't follow.
Televised Prelims - On Fox Sports 1 at 5pm PT / 8pm ET

Varner/Tibau? That's a good matchup.

Pascal Krauss vs. random Korean dude? lol

Louis Gaudinot vs. "Tim Elliott"? meh

"Kyung Ho Kang" vs. "Chico Camus"? Now they're just making up names. OK I kid about Chico since I remember seeing him fight, but yeah.

Al Iaquinta vs Ryan Couture? Ryan should've already been cut, dude is garbage. Squash match although I do like Iaquinta.

Soa Palelei is in the UFC? He belongs in KOTC fighting Tony Lopez. And yeah, "Nikita Krylov"... again, making up names. okay that pic below is badass, never mind

Jared Hamman vs. "Magnus Cedenblad"? Jared sucks and he was a serpentine snake in the grass in TUF. And "Magnus"... well at least they got creative with that one.

EDIT: I got Jared Hamman and Josh Samman mixed up. Jared Hamman was that dude who looked absolutely horrible vs Costa Philippou way back on the Jones/Machida card. IIRC that was his last fight. *checks wikipedia* Oh wait, he lost another one after that at UFC 150. The dude fights once a year it seems.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Money Mendes hopefully retires Lay Guida.

Soa Palelei is in the UFC? He belongs in KOTC fighting Tony Lopez. And yeah, "Nikita Krylov"... again, making up names. OK I kid about Chico since I remember seeing him fight, but yeah.
Excuse me sir...you're going to end up in a ditch.
1369903235Krylov.jpg

- As you said, Varner-Tibau is great.

- Lim isn't some "random" guy -- he's the top South Korean prospect in MMA. And he's fighting Pascal Krauss, who is still carrying tremendous buzz (despite decision-ing a bunch recently).

- Flyweight matchup between two dudes who are ranking in the top-10 and routinely produce finishes.

- Palelei, although he's been forced to face sub-par dudes because he's been a non-Zuffa HW, has looked very good since getting cut in 2007. His return is interesting.

That's four fights that have me extremely excited. Given the sorts of prelims we normally get, that's pretty fucking good!
The prelims on the last 2 free shows were far superior.

As for Krauss having tremendous buzz... no.

that first fight was a different henderson. the champ now takes little risk and every fight since becoming champ ends in a decision.

IDK man have you seen the first fight they had?

yeah, have you seen what Bendo has become, because of that fight? Pettis is to Bendo what Serra was to GSP.

if pettis wins then let us all hope guida gets a proper shot. Will only be fair.

Carpenter is at FW now. and "fair" would be Terminator TJ Grant getting the shot next. but whatever, it's just cans warming up the belt for Punk.

Money is going to fuck lay guida up. Believe.
We can only hope.

The best possible outcome for this PPV would include the following:

Soa Palelei sent back to XFC or wherever
Ryan Couture getting blasted
Jamie Varner losing somehow
Vera getting Schaub'd
An epic scrap between Poirier and Koch which is damn near guaranteed.
Mendes obliterating Guida into irrelevancy
Barnett subbing Mir and cutting an hot promo
Pettis hurting Bendo badly and KOing him.

anyone picking Mur is out of their minds. Barnett's entire ground game is built around nullifying BJJ and he's better standing than Mur.

Barnett by TKO or UD.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The differing career trajectories of Bendo and Pettis since that final WEC fight is quite something.

Bendo has become a beacon of athleticism. Both in the way he fights and the way he trains - unless I'm forgetting something, he's never had to pull out of a fight due to injury in the seven fights he's fought & won in the UFC.

Pettis on the other hand has spent most of his time in the UFC either crying about getting title shots, being injured, or crying about getting title shots while being injured. His UFC career so far has been getting sat on my Guida and settling for a split decision against some unknown fighter before a great KO of Lauzon and finally hitting his stride against Cerrone.

Bendo's improved leaps and bounds as a fighter since the end of the WEC, whereas Pettis has just got back to that level. Unless something dramatic happens, Bendo should win this by decision or by submission.

And god forbid Pettis wins this, because you know a trilogy would be immediately set up. That is, after Bendo wins the Interim LW Title due to Pettis being injured...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom