• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK PoliGAF thread of tell me about the rabbits again, Dave.

Ugh, only 4 candidates in my ward and 3 are being elected, and they'll probably be the sitting councillors. I would have given the greens my first preference to give them a chance but they don't even have a candidate here. Such an uninspiring democratic process.

No wonder turnout will be so low.

Election day!

Everyone go and vote! I already did - UKIP/Boris, Con, UKIP for Mayor, Enfield, London respectively. The mayor is elected by AV 2-pref.

I hope Boris wins, but there has been troubling news that turnout in the suburbs at 5pm was not as high as 2008, but it is hoped that people will vote on their way home from work. My sister just told me that the polling station was busy, mostly with people in suits, so I hope the suburbs pull Boris up!

My prediction is that Boris will win 52-48 and Paddick will come third.

Voted.

Was very difficult to decide who. None of the candidates inspired. Labour councillor for the last 9 years, a Tory student, Lib Dem student and a TUSC AGAINST CUTS. None really hit any good local issues, and I find Tory uni students always a bit weird. Surely you're supposed to be liberal at uni and then hit the real world and go conservative?

Still, I am looking forward to an ELECTION NIGHT SPECTACULAR on BBC one. Including the best bit, awful CG graphics!

I'm just about to go vote, it's been sunny in Scotland but apparently turnout is very low :( Hopefully it picks up a bit after people finish work and stuff, it's always a shame to see terrible turnouts when you think how many people in the world don't get to vote.

Voted for the first time today.

Yes to the Mayoral referrendum, cause y'know. Why not?

And Lib Dem.

Pretty Dismal turnout in my student village though..

Oh yeah I forgot about those referendums! Any of them likely to succeed? Seeing how much attention is paid in London campaign makes me think it's a good idea, even though obviously London would still get the most attention.

Oh yeah I forgot about those referendums! Any of them likely to succeed? Seeing how much attention is paid in London campaign makes me think it's a good idea, even though obviously London would still get the most attention.

Apparently the Birmingham referendum is going to get a drubbing and so are Salford and Manchester. The government are talking about making city mayors into regional mayors, so that there would be a mayor for Greater Manchester etc... rather than just a small section of the city.

London gets the attention because London is the economic growth engine of the UK. When London powers ahead so does the rest of the country, when London fails, so does the rest of the country, and while the position of Mayor is largely symbolic having someone like Ken in charge would send out a poor message that London is closed for business, all IMO of course.

Bo-Locks

Apparently the Birmingham referendum is going to get a drubbing and so are Salford and Manchester. The government are talking about making city mayors into regional mayors, so that there would be a mayor for Greater Manchester etc... rather than just a small section of the city.

London gets the attention because London is the economic growth engine of the UK. When London powers ahead so does the rest of the country, when London fails, so does the rest of the country, and while the position of Mayor is largely symbolic having someone like Ken in charge would send out a poor message that London is closed for business, all IMO of course.

Salford are electing a Mayor, not having a referendum, though like you I expect most, if not all of the referendums to fail. I don't know why Manchester and Salford are being treated as such separate entities, a regional Mayor would make the most sense for the Greater Manchester area.

I voted for an independent and "yes" for the mayoral referendum.

PJV3

I don't think people worry about that to be honest, London seemed to do alright before when he was Mayor. Boris is only interested in Boris, so i'm not sure what message electing him sends out.

About to go out and vote myself, my enthusiasm for any of the candidates is very low, but it has to be done.

I voted. Using STV was a good feeling, shame it's wasted when there were only 4 candidates in a 3 member ward. OH WELL. I fulfilled my democratic duty.

Biggzy

I'm just about to go vote, it's been sunny in Scotland but apparently turnout is very low :( Hopefully it picks up a bit after people finish work and stuff, it's always a shame to see terrible turnouts when you think how many people in the world don't get to vote.

Local elections always get low turnout.

Boris is only interested in Boris, so i'm not sure what message electing him sends out.
Speaking as a non Londoner... it sends a horrible message out, not only to the rest of Britain, but to the rest of the world. Especially because he's now showing his face at so many international events (by virtue of the Olympics). Was so ashamed when he rocked up looking scruffy and generally pathetic to the closing ceremony of the Chinese Olympics.

I swear he's a joke that only London knows the punchline to. I wish someone would clue the rest of us in.

Speaking as a non Londoner... it sends a horrible message out, not only to the rest of Britain, but to the rest of the world. Especially because he's now showing his face at so many international events (by virtue of the Olympics). Was so ashamed when he rocked up looking scruffy and generally pathetic to the closing ceremony of the Chinese Olympics.

I swear he's a joke that only London knows the punchline to. I wish someone would clue the rest of us in.

As an American it doesn´t look that bad. He "charm" runs off on foriegners too.

Benny Hill was never supposed to be the London mayor.

Does that kitch "English charm" appeal to you in some sort of quaint "look at those crazy English" way? :p

defel

Boris doesn't have "English" charm but he is a character and a personality. Is it really that surprising that he's so successful when he is lined up against Cameron, Clegg, Osborne and co.?

I'm looking forward to political commentators clutching at straws saying voters "sent a message" to various parties when they haven't really!

I'm looking forward to political commentators clutching at straws saying voters "sent a message" to various parties when they haven't really!

I kinda wish they would treat them more like they actually are - elections for who you want to run your local area - instead of a referendum on the government of the day. Sadly people do actually vote that way.

Bo-Locks

Personally, Livingstone's tax arrangements, his work for Press TV and other general baggage would be enough to put me off voting for him. Boris might be a bit 'quirky', but he's much more intelligent than people give him credit for. Popular issues like the transport fares have their own trajectory and Livingstone would not be able to make anywhere near the savings to Londoners that he promises. In terms of working with the private sector and attracting investment, Boris is the preferable candidate, though not to the same extent that ZOMG seems to think. I'd vote for Boris.

Just my two cents.

Omikaru

Voted Labour. We've had 8-9 years of LibDems controlling Cardiff, and the only thing of note they've done is "regenerate" the city by allowing more nightclubs and backing lots and lots of shops in the town centre, neither of which the majority of Cardiff citizens wanted so much of.

All that happens in this city is big chain retailers shifting into empty shops as their leases expire on the old ones, so they can keep rents low (all the while putting local-run shops like Spillers at risk of closure because of how the council favours big soulless chains rather than Cardiff's retail heritage), whilst nightclubs pop up for 6-8 months before closing down again. And the nightlife in Cardiff is shit anyway. All valleys scum coming down to get bladdered and punch someone. Not nice at all.

And whilst the completely pointless St. David's 2 (and its unaffordable flats) has had large amounts of money thrown at it, the state of the roads in many of Cardiff's areas have become atrocious.

One of the things that got a laugh out of me today was the Cardiff LibDem "Focus Team" for my area (Mynachdy) posted leaflets through people's doors blaming Labour for a new block of student flats getting planning permission (despite the fact that the LibDems were calling the shots) and had the audacity to claim that only the LibDems were running a candidate for each of Mynachdy's two seats, because they were the only party who cared about the area. So imagine my surprise when I went to the ballot box and saw two Tories, two Labour, two Plaid and two anti-cuts candidates all running for seats, as well as the two lying LibDems.

Amazing. I voted for them in the last Council, European and General Election. Never again.

Blame Labour and specifically Tom Watson who rigged it so that Sion Simon would be assured their nomination. It was after that the popularity of the idea tanked. Seriously, they hate Sion Simon as much as the rest of us, and they hate rigged elections as well I guess.

Biggzy

Almost time for me to turn on the TV and watch the national treasure that is David Dimbleby presenting the results.

Almost time for me to turn on the TV and watch the national treasure that is David Dimbleby presenting the results.

I'll stay up until about 2 to get a picture of what's happening. Man, my total nerdiness continues to surprise me. Helps I don't have a job or anything to actually go to =p

I'll stay up until about 2 to get a picture of what's happening. Man, my total nerdiness continues to surprise me. Helps I don't have a job or anything to actually go to =p

Yeah, up until about 2am I've decided. Got to get up at about 11am tomorrow to get to the airport for around 2pm. Loads of time.

One of the things that got a laugh out of me today was the Cardiff LibDem "Focus Team"
I've seen those signs all over Whitchurch and Lisvane. Have no idea what the hell they're supposed to be for.

Also, is it me or do the Lib Dems have MASSIVE signs? I've seen some completely blocking out bay windows.

Lamppost signs are banned in my council. T'is a shame, ruins the atmosphere of an election a bit. Obviously they don't influence votes, but they do increase awareness of the election. All these things help with turnout.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What a shoddy looking election studio.

Things printed out and taped to pillars, poor BBC struggling with cuts.

Edit: Ah, here's Jeremy. With sound effects!

Empty

yessss

i didn't even vote - because i'm a dumbo and forgot to register at my new address, shame as though i'm not exactly enthusiastic about the candidates it'd be cool to vote using stv - but i'm looking forward to it.

It's pretty cheapo. The theme tune sounded like it was in mono....

Better than the boat they had in 2010. That was a farcical election night. I prefer low-key to a party boat.

Also, just had a friend from Victoria Street message me, he think that they lost the Brum mayoral referendum because of Sion, but the rest of the country is good for them. Bradford is apparently going to be interesting, and they think Ken has lost, but that is based on inner London turnout.

Do you want my election studio facts? Because I can remember them from last year.

This studio has been 'mothballed' - it's only ever used on locals/EU elections now. I think - and might be going wrong here - used to be BBC World News, but then they quite a few years ago moved in to the old BBC News Channel studio.

There's also some awful CG on the top down shot of the studio faking in the big screen in nonsensical perspective where cameras would be. This is particularly funny as you can occasionally see random floating legs coming from the wall.

Unlike most BBC News studios, they don't use screens for the backdrops so they don't animate. They're just pictures on lightboxes.

GOOD GOD I'M SAD. And know I've said all this before. But there we go. I wanted to show off. And get them out of my system so I'd write my two final uni essays tonight.

Nevasleep

And whilst the completely pointless St. David's 2 (and its unaffordable flats) has had large amounts of money thrown at it, the state of the roads in many of Cardiff's areas have become atrocious.
Speaking as an outsider, I'd say St David's 2 has certainly improved Cardiff's image, and wasn't it privately funded.

Out of all the councils in Wales, Newport have done a good job on roads. They've spent the money upfront to improve the roads(and such a large project gets a discount), so they can save on maintenance and emergency repairs in the future.

Do you want my election studio facts? Because I can remember them from last year.

This studio has been 'mothballed' - it's only ever used on locals/EU elections now. I think - and might be going wrong here - used to be BBC World News, but then they quite a few years ago moved in to the old BBC News Channel studio.

There's also some awful CG on the top down shot of the studio faking in the big screen in nonsensical perspective where cameras would be. This is particularly funny as you can occasionally see random floating legs coming from the wall.

Unlike most BBC News studios, they don't use screens for the backdrops so they don't animate. They're just pictures on lightboxes.

GOOD GOD I'M SAD. And know I've said all this before. But there we go. I wanted to show off. And get them out of my system so I'd write my two final uni essays tonight.

Truly amazing facts.

Also, no lib dems in sunderland, they lost their only seat.

ELECTION CG STUDIO FACTS

Jeremy Vine traditionally does his bits at ITN's VR studio 2. ITN of course do C4, ITV and 5News and are probably the go-to news CG.

This year they are in BBC television centre. Can't yet say why. Will bring you the latest wehn I get it.

The CG background is based on new Broadcasting House, where BBC News will be moving to in the next year. The animated backdrops on the news are also based on this, to get people used to it. The new studios will also be more than just fucking boxes with screens as they are now.

MORE TELEVISION PRESENTATION FACTS AS THEY COME IN

ELECTION CG STUDIO FACTS

Jeremy Vine traditionally does his bits at ITN's VR studio 2. ITN of course do C4, ITV and 5News and are probably the go-to news CG.

This year they are in BBC television centre. Can't yet say why. Will bring you the latest wehn I get it.

The CG background is based on new Broadcasting House, where BBC News will be moving to in the next year. The animated backdrops on the news are also based on this, to get people used to it. The new studios will also be more than just fucking boxes with screens as they are now.

MORE TELEVISION PRESENTATION FACTS AS THEY COME IN

Is BBC News finally going HD when they move? It's long overdue.

I believe so.

If you're lucky I'll go out and dig out the studio mockups and any preview photos of them being built when I'm a few more hundred words in to the essay.

Top Bottom